The Search for a Midfielder

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Tom Rogic at Celtic looks like he might be the next PL level star they may sell. I dont think we would be after him but he is a definite talent.

Mourinho extending Fellaini a contract would be similar in my eyes when Moyes extended Rooney - pointless, we need to move on, it is not about the money he doesn't deserve, it is about him being absolutely worng profile of a player for our club if we wanna move forward..
Absolutely wrong. Fellaini can still do the things he is good at Rooney couldnt.

Rauður Djöfull

Feel the same, every good victory we have just feels hollow, it’s soulless and depressing with very little to get excited about. Hopefully next year is different but now rather than looking forward to games it now feels like a chore to watch them.
So the victory against arsenal away and the one at home did not feel good? What about the comeback against City for an example?

Granted many games have been boring and not good enough but it's not like there has been no good ones and none with passion and desire that makes you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

So the victory against arsenal away and the one at home did not feel good? What about the comeback against City for an example?

Granted many games have been boring and not good enough but it's not like there has been no good ones and none with passion and desire that makes you feel.
No they didn’t. Winning the UEFA last year was the same. It’s a weird situation because I want my team to do well and I feel emotional about what is happening with it, but as for the games I feel emotionally checked out and just biding my time till Jose moves on.

Andersons Dietician

Tom Rogic at Celtic looks like he might be the next PL level star they may sell. I dont think we would be after him but he is a definite talent.

Absolutely wrong. Fellaini can still do the things he is good at Rooney couldnt.
That pass off the outside of his boot today for Dembele’s goal was class.

haram

Quite easily, both teams were garbage to watch, but with LvG there was a buzz about the young players and I knew we'd be shot of him quickly as the board value the CL money above all else, so there was an end to his dreadful reign in sight, plus he wasn't as unlikable and toxic as Mourinho IMO.
There was a buzz when Martial was running at players and when Rashford burst onto the scene. That was it.

Alabaster Codify7

There was a buzz when Martial was running at players and when Rashford burst onto the scene. That was it.

I know, right? What other youngsters were creating this 'buzz'? McNair and frigging Blackett?

It was one youngster. Rashford. And a young player we spent a fortune on, Martial. TFM played one good game and that was it.

haram

I know, right? What other youngsters were creating this 'buzz'? McNair and frigging Blackett?

It was one youngster. Rashford. And a young player we spent a fortune on, Martial. TFM played one good game and that was it.
We should go back to playing Blackett and McNair whilst passing it side to side and see how much people enjoy it.

Siorac

Rooney scored 17 goals in the Premier League in 2013/14. More than what Lukaku has this season. Let's not rewrite history. Even a washed up Rooney (which wasn't really the case in the Moyes season, not yet) was far better than Fellaini ever could be.

Devil may care

That's more buzz than there is around either of them now, there's no buzz around the club at all, I never said it was wonderful, I said it was better than it is under this poisonous manager we currently have.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That's more buzz than there is around either of them now, there's no buzz around the club at all, I never said it was wonderful, I said it was better than it is under this poisonous manager we currently have.
How would you know since you stopped watching games because of us signing Lukaku?

haram

You’re reaching. The buzz of those two players does not make up for the rest of what was happening. Revisionist stuff.

Devil may care

You’re reaching. The buzz of those two players does not make up for the rest of what was happening. Revisionist stuff.
There's nothing revionist about it, I said it was a garbage time, it just stinks a bit less than the current garbage IMO.

SamVimes

The midfield three we had against Brighton shows just where we are. They were so slow and ponderous. I have seen oil tankers turn quicker than those three. We need two nimble, aggresive and progresive midfielders. To think Fellani is getting a contract and Martial is being sold

Achilles McCool

On Thomas Partey:

Dare it be said he can be our Essien? :wenger:
Why not? He looked very good against Arsenal in Madrid at RB and has the footwork and speed plus size to handle the right side, whether at RB or in midfield. Sign him up!
Is there a thread dedicated to Thomas?

Jonno

He has regressed under Mourinho because Mourinho keeps shunting him about and trying to make him into something he isn't.
I take it you watched the Brighton game? He was completely played off the park by their midfield, a midfield that costs almost nothing, as part of a midfield three. Not for the first time, not for the last time. His temperament and attitude towards working for the team and performing at a consistently high level is shocking. The amount of times I saw him strolling around the pitch trying to turn 3 players and play silly unnecessary passes is ridiculous. This is in the 3 man midfield that you claim he should be flourishing in. Your argument will be that it’s Mourinho’s fault, which is bullsh!t, if you can’t play to the best of your ability against Brighton even though you’ve had an injury the same season, been deployed in different positions in the same season, then you’re not good enough for Manchester United. It was woeful. Next week he might play well, then the week after rubbish. Yet you’ll defend him to the moon and criticise the very manager who looked LIVID with his and others performances.

Scoring for fun in Brazil means jackshit, and there is more to being a top forward than just goals, his whole game has progressed under Guardiola.
He's barely been in the strongest 11 this season and his scoring record has been poor. In a side that's going to break all kinds of records with their scoring this season, he should have scored at least 30. Not good enough at this stage.

That's simply not true, Martial has produced on numerous occassions for us, look at his stats and his ratio is one of, if not the best, at the club from our attackers, and this whole "he sulks, he's lazy" bullshit is just another Jose fanboy created myth purely because he doesn't run around like a dopey dog chasing a car. The only thing I'd be grateful to Mourinho for is if he takes the PSG job, not for drivng gifted young flair players out of the club because they aren't one of his dog soldiers.
He's produced a fair few times and he's also gone missing MANY times. He went missing completely against Brighton, again. His goalscoring has not been good enough and his overall form incredibly patchy. This is a grown man not a child who needs a Dad.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
He probably didn't want to replace him with Fellaini or thought he was completely useless. I'm not sure what your point is.
You are obtuse arent you. Even today Fellaini is more of a goal threat than Rooney. My point was, if you would pay attention, that Fergie as he has done before foresaw a decline with Rooney and in fact probably would have moved him on if he hadnt have retired.

It was subsequently proved after Moyes gave him his bumper contract that Rooney wasnt the same player and despite several flashes he would never be as good as he once was. Fast forward to Fellaini, who Moyes, LVG and Mourinho obviously rated, and his contract situation. Obviously he is a more limited player than Rooney was but he is good at what he does and is always a threat in the box as was proved vs Arsenal.

Is he doing himself favours talking about his worth etc? no but then again he doesn't owe the fanbase anything due to the treatment he gets. I actually think he should move on to somewhere that would appreciate him but equally I wouldnt mind if Jose convinced him to stay. Either way he is an effective threat in the box and a good enough squad player for a lot of big teams.

laughtersassassin

I take it you watched the Brighton game? He was completely played off the park by their midfield, a midfield that costs almost nothing, as part of a midfield three. Not for the first time, not for the last time. His temperament and attitude towards working for the team and performing at a consistently high level is shocking. The amount of times I saw him strolling around the pitch trying to turn 3 players and play silly unnecessary passes is ridiculous. This is in the 3 man midfield that you claim he should be flourishing in. Your argument will be that it’s Mourinho’s fault, which is bullsh!t, if you can’t play to the best of your ability against Brighton even though you’ve had an injury the same season, been deployed in different positions in the same season, then you’re not good enough for Manchester United. It was woeful. Next week he might play well, then the week after rubbish. Yet you’ll defend him to the moon and criticise the very manager who looked LIVID with his and others performances.

He's barely been in the strongest 11 this season and his scoring record has been poor. In a side that's going to break all kinds of records with their scoring this season, he should have scored at least 30. Not good enough at this stage.

He's produced a fair few times and he's also gone missing MANY times. He went missing completely against Brighton, again. His goalscoring has not been good enough and his overall form incredibly patchy. This is a grown man not a child who needs a Dad.

If you think his goalscoring record is bad wait till we buy Willian. Scores like 5 league goals a year. Pathetic.

Devil may care

Yes, I watched him against Brighton, he was terrible, the entire team was, but they have been terrible in several games lately, probably due to playing for a manager that has slowly eroded their confidence and spirit over the season, I also saw this same manager throwing 2 young players under the bus with his usual shit sarcastic attitude and ass kissing his favourites, seemingly oblivious to the fact that our trash displays against Sevilla and West Brom featured both of them and neither of the two he is persecuting, that kind of terrible man management will effect everyone eventually, like a disease spreading. Pogba never had a problem playing well for Allegri on a regular basis, but then Allegri stuck to the one formation so the team could build a rhythm and understanding, instead of switching it all of the time as unlike Mourinho he's not more scared of every other teams offensive threat than he is concerned about enforcing his own.

21 year old kid has practically a 1 in 2 scoring ratio for the season, in his first first full season in the PL, and he's not good enough lol.

Yeah, Ronaldo was inconsistent at the same age, Sane is currently also inconsistent but Pep didn't shit on him for his poor performances in the CL semi, or chuck him to the bench, Fergie also supported Ronaldo over glory hungry people that wanted immediate success, he even binned RvN over his attitude regarding needing patience, good managers nurture these players and develop them, they don't browbeat them and undermine them in interviews and buy near 30 year olds to neuter their game time, no other top manager would even contemplate selling Martial.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There's nothing revionist about it, I said it was a garbage time, it just stinks a bit less than the current garbage IMO.
There was 0 joy in watching Van Gaal football, it's easy to find full games on reddit or someother sites, watch it again if you have forgot how bad it was.

This season is miles better than Van Gaal's second season, if anything Van Gaal's record in big games was used against Jose and this season even that one can't be used.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There was 0 joy in watching Van Gaal football, it's easy to find full games on reddit or someother sites, watch it again if you have forgot how bad it was.

This season is miles better than Van Gaal's second season, if anything Van Gaal's record in big games was used against Jose and this season even that one can't be used.
Yep we were blunt in the final third but the actual box to box play was good. Always think what would have been if LVG had a 28 year old RVP. Anyway in the end he ended up being off the wall with central defenders taking corners and players out of position so I’m glad he’s gone. His signings were absolutely dreadful.

roonster09

Scout
Yep we were blunt in the final third but the actual box to box play was good. Always think what would have been if LVG had a 28 year old RVP. Anyway in the end he ended up being off the wall with central defenders taking corners and players out of position so I’m glad he’s gone. His signings were absolutely dreadful.
Yeah, worst was "my captain shall always play". Rooney was so poor but he still played him every single min. At least Jose addressed that with very first min.

By half the season, we even started celebrating shots on target.

Devil may care

I don't need to watch them again, they were dreadful times, but I already explained why it's worse under this manager, both of their football styles wre boring trash, but there were more upsides with LvG in terms of youth excitement, lack of odious personality in regarding treatment of players, and the fact LvG was always short term, so the misery had an end date.

roonster09

Scout
I don't need to watch them again, they were dreadful times, but I already explained why it's worse under this manager, both of their football styles wre boring trash, but there were more upsides with LvG in terms of youth excitement, lack of odious personality in regarding treatment of players, and the fact LvG was always short term, so the misery had an end date.
Apart from playing youngsters from academy, there is nothing from Van Gaal time that is better than Jose's. Maybe how he made Liverpool his bitch too.

Devil may care

Apart from playing youngsters from academy, there is nothing from Van Gaal time that is better than Jose's. Maybe how he made Liverpool his bitch too.
That one thing is more than Mourinho has in the good column IMO, but at this point it's like seperating horrible infections by the size of the boil.

roonster09

Scout
That one thing is more than Mourinho has in the good column IMO, but at this point it's like seperating horrible infections by the size of the boil.
Nonsense. I don't even like how Jose sets up but this is just bs.

Swift Football

On Thomas Partey:

Why not? He looked very good against Arsenal in Madrid at RB and has the footwork and speed plus size to handle the right side, whether at RB or in midfield. Sign him up!
Is there a thread dedicated to Thomas?
He signed contract extension very recently. Will be difficult to get him

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
I think a midfielder is an absolute no no at this point for our club. Our current midfielder Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Mc tominay , Mata , most probably pereira are all fighting for two spots of central midfield. They should track back, they should try to intercept, but most importantly they should be able to locate passes that creates chances. What we absolutely need at this point is 2 quality fullbacks and one more defender of bailly's quality. If we can buy 2 quality fullbacks and a defender like umtiti, most of our problems will be solved. I would hate to see this happen but if we are to sell Martial, oir next signing should be one that plays in the number 10 role. We can easily play 4-2-3-1 against at least 15 teams in the league.

A signing of james Rodriguez would be ideal. Or else a second striker would also do the job.

That fact of the matter is that Jose needs to give more freedom to his attacking players and resolve our defence using quality defenders.
A team, somewhat like this would be great next season.

................................ de gea ...............................
.... fabinho .... bailly ........ lindelolf .. sandro ....
...................... matic ....... pogba .......................
.... Pereira ....... Rodriguez.......... Sanchez .......
............................ lukkaku .................................

Subs : joel pereira , rashford,smalling, herrera , FELLAINI.

Gordon S

I think a midfielder is an absolute no no at this point for our club. Our current midfielder Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Mc tominay , Mata , most probably pereira are all fighting for two spots of central midfield. They should track back, they should try to intercept, but most importantly they should be able to locate passes that creates chances. What we absolutely need at this point is 2 quality fullbacks and one more defender of bailly's quality. If we can buy 2 quality fullbacks and a defender like umtiti, most of our problems will be solved. I would hate to see this happen but if we are to sell Martial, oir next signing should be one that plays in the number 10 role. We can easily play 4-2-3-1 against at least 15 teams in the league.

A signing of james Rodriguez would be ideal. Or else a second striker would also do the job.

That fact of the matter is that Jose needs to give more freedom to his attacking players and resolve our defence using quality defenders.
A team, somewhat like this would be great next season.

................................ de gea ...............................
.... fabinho .... bailly ........ lindelolf .. sandro ....
...................... matic ....... pogba .......................
.... Pereira ....... Rodriguez.......... Sanchez .......
............................ lukkaku .................................

Subs : joel pereira , rashford,smalling, herrera , FELLAINI.
You think Mata and Pereira will be cm's for us next season?

Honestly, if there is one part of the pitch we desperatly need to strengthen, it's at cm.

Pogba has almost no defensive awareness, very bad positional sense. He only comes alive when he has the ball running towards goal.

Matic is composed and strong as a horse, perhaps our best cm, but he takes to much time on the ball. Slows down our build up.

Herrera is a good, fairly well rounded midfielder but without any real strengths that makes him a nailed on starter for a team with high ambitions.

Mctominay is a pretty average young talent that could perhaps reach the heights of Butt and Fletcher if he work his socks off every day for the next 3-4 years, but right now he is probably a level below what we need.

Fellaini is a big strong player that plays with a lot of passion and determination out there, but even at his best he's just a last option from the bench, just not good enough.

I'm sorry but Mata and Pereira doesn't even come into that discussion.

So, imo we should go all in for at least one really good cm, preferably two.

My brain melts when i read that Mourinho is fighting teeth and nails to keep Fellaini.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers

It is absolutely wrong with even thinking about Fellaini playing for United, he's disrupting our play too much, any bit of fluidity left in our game he kills it, he occasionally scores a header but more oftenn he doesn't, more creative players could be used to open the defense, we are not Stoke mate, it is absolutely certain that he ends up somewhere like Fenerbahce if he doesn't sign for us, playing in a dogshite Turkish league, he shouldn't be with us because sadly he will always be a tempting option for a manager...

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My word your hatred for Jose really blinds you.

Devil may care

My word your hatred for Jose really blinds you.
No, they both finished one season in the top 4 and one outside and won a domestic cup each, to me a Europa League win doesn't outweigh the garbage football and the regression of our young players, at least the latter had a chance under LvG. They are both outdated, arrogant men who had the team playing garbage football, the difference is the young players under LvG were supported instead of maligned, and the toxic nature of Mourinho is far worse than the eccentricity of LvG, neither should be United manager.

Jonno

Yes, I watched him against Brighton, he was terrible, the entire team was, but they have been terrible in several games lately, probably due to playing for a manager that has slowly eroded their confidence and spirit over the season, I also saw this same manager throwing 2 young players under the bus with his usual shit sarcastic attitude and ass kissing his favourites, seemingly oblivious to the fact that our trash displays against Sevilla and West Brom featured both of them and neither of the two he is persecuting, that kind of terrible man management will effect everyone eventually, like a disease spreading.
Hilarious how dramatic you are, this disease you talk about is clearly a good one, because it’s carried a broken team from 5th to 2nd whilst getting to 3 Cup finals in 2 seasons.

I think most teams would love this disease you mention!

You seem to be deluded to our progress and recent success. You know we’re not 15th in the league, right? If he’s losing the squad ruining them, why are we going to finish 2nd and get over 80 points?

You’re also incredibly naive to use the old “We’re Manchester United, we should be winning everything” card in previous posts. The squad he took over were awful, thanks to LVG and Moyes failing to replace Fergies squad. He’s taken over a side finishing 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th and has them 2nd.

“Throwing players under the bus”? Or stating the standards required to play for United? Just because your beloved Martial and Pogba played terrible, again, you blame the very manager who wasn’t happy with their performances, laughable. They earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and train in world class facilities, they don’t need spoon feeding from a soft manager, they SHOULD be told if they’re not good enough. They’re men not kids. Martial isn’t a kid, he’s an international footballer who’s lived and played in 2 countries.

Pogba never had a problem playing well for Allegri on a regular basis, but then Allegri stuck to the one formation so the team could build a rhythm and understanding, instead of switching it all of the time as unlike Mourinho he's not more scared of every other teams offensive threat than he is concerned about enforcing his own.
Comparing Allegri’s Juve to the current United squad is laughable!

Pogba played in a peak-European side that was bossed by Pirlo and many other genuine world class, peak players. It was a golden generation of a squad and and an easier league.

Of course Pogba slotted in to a team of absolute winners and played well.

Different task being asked to carry a team during a re-build. That requires real balls and real drive and sadly he doesn’t have it.

You make out like Mourinho is a tinker man, he uses 2 formations pal not 5 or 6! When you’ve got a monopoly of the best players like Juve did in that period, Bayern, United in the 90s, you CAN stick to 1 formation, but when you’re 1 of 5 huge clubs competing for top spot, you have to change things depending on the opponent, hence we beat Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, City recently..... And they lost playing their predictable formation and style. The very thing you’re criticising him for is regarded by the professionals as intelligence and a skill. Just shows your knowledge of what a world class manager is. I’m so glad you’re not in charge of my club, you’d have a 1 dimensional manager in charge and we’d finish exactly where the other club with a 1 dimensional manager are, 6th.

21 year old kid has practically a 1 in 2 scoring ratio for the season, in his first first full season in the PL, and he's not good enough lol.
No, I didn’t say he’s not good enough, I was disagreeing with you that Pep has turned him into a world beater. He’s been decent, no better than the form he showed before he arrived. Same could be said about Martial.

Yeah, Ronaldo was inconsistent at the same age, Sane is currently also inconsistent but Pep didn't shit on him for his poor performances in the CL semi, or chuck him to the bench, Fergie also supported Ronaldo over glory hungry people that wanted immediate success, he even binned RvN over his attitude regarding needing patience, good managers nurture these players and develop them, they don't browbeat them and undermine them in interviews and buy near 30 year olds to neuter their game time, no other top manager would even contemplate selling Martial.
Wow, comparing Martial to Ronaldo, one of the greatest players OF ALL TIME, to try to win an argument, now I’ve read it all on RedCafe I really have.....

Ronaldo was a purchase that the entire squad demanded after they played against him when he was 17 or 18..... he came to United and was regarded incredibly highly by everyone at the club, and rightly so, he’s gone on to be one of the greatest of all time. You’re comparing Martial, a guy who was pretty good in France and has been pretty good in England to Ronaldo? Wow.

And anyway, it was well documented Ronaldo was put on a harsh learning curve at United, Fergie practically beat the stepovers and unnecessary dives out of him, as did Roy Keane. He was in and out of the team, often as a substitute. Just like Martial is now!

Difference is, Ronaldo had an incredible attitude and desire to reach the top. Does Martial? Don’t you think if Martial could help Mourinho win things, he’d be playing every week? We’ve seen evidence of how he can help us win things, roughly once every 4 games. Inconsistencies that wouldn’t get him in a Fergie team, or a Mourinho team.

I’ve never spoken to someone more bitter and twisted about a football manager, I could reply all year to you just for entertainment value.