The Soprano's *Contains multiple spoilers*

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yep, Ralphie was exactly the one I had in mind. :D Livia too, although that wasn't exactly planned for.

Was funny watching Ralphie for the first time. It was like, "oh shit...that's Cypher from the Matrix!". It took about 3 scenes of watching him to forget all about that. Brilliant character.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yep, Ralphie was exactly the one I had in mind. :D Livia too, although that wasn't exactly planned for.

Was funny watching Ralphie for the first time. It was like, "oh shit...that's Cypher from the Matrix!". It took about 3 scenes of watching him to forget all about that. Brilliant character.

Yeah he was superb. It's usually a cliche when people say it about characters but with him, pretty much every single scene he was in was great.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The episode where Adriana is killed has stuck with me for a long time.

KingEric7

That look on Silvio's face in the car...

You just realise at that point what a load of fecking ruthless bastards they all actually are. I know that they didn't know that Adriana hadn't really given them anything...but still. That was absolutely devastating first time round.

Yeah he was superb. It's usually a cliche when people say it about characters but with him, pretty much every single scene he was in was great.

Aye. It's almost every single scene in general, to be fair! I can think of one scene that I distinctly didn't like and that was the one where AJ first started acting out with the whole teenage existential angst business. Good scenes on the other hand...it's a big list. Like how they close some of the episodes, actually:

A bit biased towards that second one maybe because it's one of my favourite pieces of music, but those two scenes make me shiver.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It's not simply great television.. it's just simply, great.

It's a great story, told in a brilliant way.

There is some great television out there, especially today.. but for me, The Sopranos can match sophistication never before/since shown on television, up there with the best novels and critically acclaimed literature.

Am I over-exaggerating here guys? Personally, the 'one of (if not) the best television series ever' tag does it justice - which says a lot.

KingEric7

Nah, it's the shit undoubtedly. It's like the Iniesta (at his best) of TV shows. You just watch it all the way through in a constant state of mild awe, with moments coming along every now and then that are just fecking amazing. Those two videos up there are such moments, the car crash in Season 1, Adriana's death, the 'meeting of minds', etc...

The meeting of minds needs to be brought up at every opportunity, actually. :lol:

There is so much going on in that scene, it's brilliant.

Alock1

The end of 'Join the Club' which you posted is my favourite scene.. It's just incredible. And btw, you definitely don't have to be a huge Moby fan to recognize that the song is the perfect partner for the scene.

Sometimes I wish I could get a hold of all the scripts just to try and find references and 'clues'; basically the symbolism that Chase uses so well. There are some incredible 'coincidences' in the show that just seem like they have to be done deliberately..

Below is one of those moments, taken from the final episode.. does it mean anything, or is just a load of shit - with a fan trying to piece everything today, and trying to force there to be links and connections where really; there just isn't.

The song title "This Magic Moment" by Jay and The Americans is shown twice as Tony scans the jukebox. Interestingly, on that jukebox card there are red arrows pointing at the names of all of the artists except for Jay and The Americans and their song "This Magic Moment". Instead of a red arrow, the word "HIT" is seen on an orange arrow (the jukeboxes were created by Chase and his production team and are not present at the actual Holsten's). This is certainly may be indicative that a "HIT" is about to take place in the diner.

The song title "This Magic Moment" is a call back to the closing moments of the opening episode of 6b, "Sopranos Home Movies". This is the episode where Bobby asks Tony about death in the mafia: "You probably won't even hear it when it happens?". The Drifters version of the song plays as Bacala returns to the lake house after committing his first murder; truly a "Magic Moment" for Bobby. Bobby's daughter then runs into his arms as he is forever changed as that episode closes. Ultimately, Bacala is targeted, and eventually murdered, by the NY family because of his newfound high status in the Soprano organization, a status that was cemented by his first murder for Tony.

Two episodes after "Sopranos Home Movies," we learn that Tony's own father ordered him to commit his first murder at the age of 22. This was Tony's "Magic Moment" that led him on the path of a criminal life that would eventually destroy him. Also of note is that one of the two college football players on the back wall of Holsten's has the number "22". As discussed earlier in this section, there are also symbolic and visual suggestions that Man in Members Only Jacket's murder of Tony may be his first kill.

KingEric7

The end of 'Join the Club' which you posted is my favourite scene.. It's just incredible. And btw, you definitely don't have to be a huge Moby fan to recognize that the song is the perfect partner for the scene.

Sometimes I wish I could get a hold of all the scripts just to try and find references and 'clues'; basically the symbolism that Chase uses so well. There are some incredible 'coincidences' in the show that just seem like they have to be done deliberately..

Below is one of those moments, taken from the final episode.. does it mean anything, or is just a load of shit - with a fan trying to piece everything today, and trying to force there to be links and connections where really; there just isn't.

The song title "This Magic Moment" by Jay and The Americans is shown twice as Tony scans the jukebox. Interestingly, on that jukebox card there are red arrows pointing at the names of all of the artists except for Jay and The Americans and their song "This Magic Moment". Instead of a red arrow, the word "HIT" is seen on an orange arrow (the jukeboxes were created by Chase and his production team and are not present at the actual Holsten's). This is certainly may be indicative that a "HIT" is about to take place in the diner.

The song title "This Magic Moment" is a call back to the closing moments of the opening episode of 6b, "Sopranos Home Movies". This is the episode where Bobby asks Tony about death in the mafia: "You probably won't even hear it when it happens?". The Drifters version of the song plays as Bacala returns to the lake house after committing his first murder; truly a "Magic Moment" for Bobby. Bobby's daughter then runs into his arms as he is forever changed as that episode closes. Ultimately, Bacala is targeted, and eventually murdered, by the NY family because of his newfound high status in the Soprano organization, a status that was cemented by his first murder for Tony.

Two episodes after "Sopranos Home Movies," we learn that Tony's own father ordered him to commit his first murder at the age of 22. This was Tony's "Magic Moment" that led him on the path of a criminal life that would eventually destroy him. Also of note is that one of the two college football players on the back wall of Holsten's has the number "22". As discussed earlier in this section, there are also symbolic and visual suggestions that Man in Members Only Jacket's murder of Tony may be his first kill.

It really is. Moby is my favourite artist by an absolute mile to be honest but that song works wonderfully regardless of that.

What you say about Chase... sounds odd and I was trying to think how to put it into words but it's like in every scene there is some sort of pronounced character behaviour, cultural issue or something else that he's tried to emphasise. Best way I can put it is that it's like every scene talks to you (not literally). I've never had that feeling with another show to the extent whereby it feels like every part of it was crafted with a specific purpose aside from the narrative itself. Even The Wire isn't like that, to be honest. Couldn't say I noticed that about the foreshadowing with the jukebox but it's an interesting point! Seems a bit too co-incidental to be honest if it was made by the producers themselves.

feck me, it's good. It's funny as feck at times as well.

Another one to go with the meeting of minds. :D Chris' facial expressions are priceless in that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pretty much every time I think something has trumped The Sopranos I remember some more stuff and get blown away again by just how epic this show really was. Breaking Bad is giving me some serious pause at the moment, but there were just so many immensely impressive scenes in The Sopranos that I just can't quite bring myself to admit that anything could best it.

Yet.

Member 39557

I love Carmine Jr's malapropisms. There must be another sopranos thread, as I'm sure They were posted on this forum?

KingEric7

You can never have too many Sopranos threads. It's the most mellifluous show ever made.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I finished this last Friday after an intense month watching it. It's absolutely brilliant.

The episode where Adriana is killed has stuck with me for a long time.
I'd Googled Adriana's name to find out the actress and Google's predictive search came back with "death scene" and "shooting". Still, it didn't really prepare me for what happened.

Andy_Cole

Just finished it after a month of binge watching. Wow it really is great. Thought the ending was perfect, the anticipation of something maybe happening, saw someone's explanation that was perfect, that it kind of puts you in Tony's head, as he's probably so paranoid all the time.

Trying to think of my favourite episode. Not sure as there were so many! Killing of Ralphie was pretty great. Could be that.

Alock1

Pine Barrens is my favourite episode.

The one where Chris and Paulie in the snow hunting the Russian.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This has got to be one of the best episode finales of any show:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That look on Silvio's face in the car...

You just realise at that point what a load of fecking ruthless bastards they all actually are.
I know that they didn't know that Adriana hadn't really given them anything...but still. That was absolutely devastating first time round.
Absolutely spot on.

My favorite scene is this one, it highlights Tony's intelligence at being a criminal, setting up his uncle to be the boss and the main fall guy. The music is perfect when they all raise their glasses and go "Salute".

Revan

Assumptionman
Absolutely spot on.

My favorite scene is this one, it highlights Tony's intelligence at being a criminal, setting up his uncle to be the boss and the main fall guy. The music is perfect when they all raise their glasses and go "Salute".
The music makes this scene so great.

I think that this TV show needs definitely a rewatching. I watched a few months ago, but I guess that I should watch it again to fully appreciate it. There are so many things going there.

Saying that, I still think that The Wire is better while Breaking Bad is more fun.

b82REZ

Just finished it after a month of binge watching. Wow it really is great. Thought the ending was perfect, the anticipation of something maybe happening, saw someone's explanation that was perfect, that it kind of puts you in Tony's head, as he's probably so paranoid all the time.

Trying to think of my favourite episode. Not sure as there were so many! Killing of Ralphie was pretty great. Could be that.
The ending stuck with me for days. For me the best ending to a show ever.

I read a "Tony was killed" theory shortly after watching it that makes sit on that side of the fence.