The Spectator’s Hit Piece on Marcus Rashford

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
I had a look on the forum but couldn’t see anything on this so feel free to merge. A young English footballer strives to help impoverished children and has to defend himself after all the good he has done.

Fecking disgusting and hopefully a massive backlash against them.

Green_Red

If Rashford walked on water they'd say it was because he can't swim.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
The chap makes £200,000 a week, it'd be a bit of a weird take to try frame his work on poverty as a move to enrich himself, and that's me as a cynical old bastard.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I really hate some of the press in this country. I don’t care what he does on the pitch, I’m an arsenal fan and he is a Manchester United player so it makes no difference to me but off the pitch he has been a shining light of compassion. This young man has done more for the people in need of this country than its own government.
So he benefited commercially? So what? He’s a big name player and he can do as such. Takes nothing away from the outstanding work he has done.
The spectator is like the daily mail, needs to die a death so that they can stop poisoning this country with its hateful rhetoric.

Tarrou

I am sure the public will rally around him over this

there will always be a few twats who willingly buy-in to the bullshit rhetoric but most can see through it

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rashford should try to model himself on high-profile government figures more, as at that point The Spectator would evidently have no interest in how he and those associated with him have benefitted financially over the last 18 months. Yet thus far all Rashford really has in common with the Tory leadership is the ability to embarrass the Tory leadership, which is a poor showing on his part. If he can't be bothered to stop being black & working-class then he should do the decent thing and take a vow of poverty.

Fluctuation0161

Probably wouldn't have happened if we had won the Euros.

The far right mob racially abuse him but the upper class far right mob try to smear him in their publications. All for having the audacity to want to stop kids going hungry. Disgusting.

sugar_kane

The right are absolutely terrified of young Marcus aren’t they? So they should be.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but since the Spectator are Tory cheerleaders and used to be edited by none other than Boris Johnson himself, I wouldn’t be surprised if the government’s spin doctors had a hand in this article.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The right are absolutely terrified of young Marcus aren’t they? So they should be.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but since the Spectator are Tory cheerleaders and used to be edited by none other than Boris Johnson himself, I wouldn’t be surprised if the government’s spin doctors had a hand in this article.
Young, intelligent, good looking black male with charisma who is gun hot at the people’s game and is one of the great young high profiles philanthropists of our time… it’s everything they want to be and their wives wanted to be with. No wonder they’re shit scared!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The spectator is like the daily mail, needs to die a death so that they can stop poisoning this country with its hateful rhetoric.
The Spectator's figures have been growing over the last couple of years. I wonder if Rashford had ignored this story it's unlikely many would have heard of it. Sadly by calling it out so publicly he has probably unleashed a lot more press coverage around it and inadvertently increased the Spectator's sales.

The headline here should really be Spectator benefits commercially from Rashford's charity work, by cynically trashing the lads good deeds.

Ludens the Red

If the comments in their last tweet are anything to go by they’d probably be better off withdrawing any attempts to smear Rashford’s name.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If the comments in their last tweet are anything to go by they’d probably be better off withdrawing any attempts to smear Rashford’s name.
I wish that were the case, but sadly there are only too many little England Daly Mail readers out there only too glad to read, hear and believe bad stuff about Rashford.

lsd

The Oracle
Wait till they find out he is helping Harry and Meghan write their book

Trequarista10

The chap makes £200,000 a week, it'd be a bit of a weird take to try frame his work on poverty as a move to enrich himself, and that's me as a cynical old bastard.
It's projection. People in that world whose primary motivation is money interpreting the actions of others using their own warped logic.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Unfortunately, I don't want to read this. It's absolutely fecking insufferable.

Can you let us know anything interesting about the hit piece that was coming out about Rashford?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Can you let us know anything interesting about the hit piece that was coming out about Rashford?
It was a ruse, spoon fed to The Spectator by one person who made pretty much everything up.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

They basically bullshitted to the Spectator and they fell for it. It's rather brilliant.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

The author of that piece claims to be the source of the hit piece by anonymously trolling The Spectator who were looking for stories for a new section of the publication called "WokeyLeaks", the purpose of which was to "pull the rug from under the left".

They apparently made up a bunch of stories but The Spectator's contact, "Edward Snowflake" was particularly interested in Rashford.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It was a ruse, spoon fed to The Spectator by one person who made pretty much everything up.
They basically bullshitted to the Spectator and they fell for it. It's rather brilliant.

To be fair, of course they would. :lol: Not difficult to imagine any of the tory papers (so, uh, basically any fecking paper in the country) believing and running a story that would have been pretty much "See! Saint Marcus is just as crooked as you or me!".

Hopefully an actual story is written about it somewhere though rather than something that reads like a 14 year old's Tumblr blog.

SirAnderson

To be fair, of course they would. :lol: Not difficult to imagine any of the tory papers (so, uh, basically any fecking paper in the country) believing and running a story that would have been pretty much "See! Saint Marcus is just as crooked as you or me!".

Hopefully an actual story is written about it somewhere though rather than something that reads like a 14 year old's Tumblr blog.
I hope so too, it was painfully hard to read in between all the "lol'z" and "hahaaha"

SirAnderson

I do think they should have pulled the plug on this sooner though, for it to have only ended because of Rashford's tweet is a bit much. I can imagine what he must have been going through learning about what was coming out against his work. But seeing how terribly and poorly that "blog" was written, I can see why they had no confidence whatsoever in coming out and outing the spectator earlier. But yeah, it is insightful in how atrocious the journalism is that they couldn't see the hoax in all this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's a load of bs.
Why? Because they're actually lying about who the Spectator contacted to get the story. How would you know that?!

Wait, Jippy is a proper journalist. An editor, no less. No sarcasm, I genuinely have a lot of respect for that. But maybe that's not all he is... Maybe he's, I don't know... The chairman of a paper??

*Gasp* but it goes deeper. We know he loves kitty cats. Do you know who else loves cats? My cousin Andrew. Hmm, you might say (without a hint of joy IoloIoIoI) why would Pidgy mention that? Well it all started when I put an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time!

Andrew. Chairman of a newspaper. Andrew fecking Neil. Jippy is Andrew fecking Neil. NAILED. YOU. MOTHER. FECKER. BOOM!!!

The Firestarter

Why? Because they're actually lying about who the Spectator contacted to get the story. How would you know that?!

Wait, Jippy is a proper journalist. An editor, no less. No sarcasm, I genuinely have a lot of respect for that. But maybe that's not all he is... Maybe he's, I don't know... The chairman of a paper??

*Gasp* but it goes deeper. We know he loves kitty cats. Do you know who else loves cats? My cousin Andrew. Hmm, you might say (without a hint of joy IoloIoIoI) why would Pidgy mention that? Well it all started when I put an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time!

Andrew. Chairman of a newspaper. Andrew fecking Neil. Jippy is Andrew fecking Neil. NAILED. YOU. MOTHER. FECKER. BOOM!!!
Helluva scotch it must be.