The Spurs thread | 2016-2017 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in top 4 in the upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks2008

Maybe it's just the few I've seen on the internet but for a team that has won sweet feck all their fans are unbearable. Cocky twats.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You're not really laughing are you? I can imagine a dead pan face as you type... Possibly a tiny tear out of an eye.
Laughing at the statement just made that we will be up there after a summer of transfers? Yes I was.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
21 goals and 11 assists for Alli this season. Must be one of the best young talents in world football.

Still a head scratcher to think some people on this forum.didnt really rate him.
People in this forum refused to rate Neymar for years mostly because they hated his hair.

I remember a truly laughable thread years previously when people were trying to argue that Rooney was better than Neymar, and this was the in decline Rooney.

Ali is hated for his facial features and his aggression. Things that have nothing to do with football. He is pure class.

Claude Makélélé

Most on here were always calling them bottlers me included and typical Spurs.That is not happening any more
That "bottlers" nick name has been given to them since they have been consistently useless in Europe (Champions League and Europa League) for years (including this season) and won nothing in England during the last decade (7 consecutive FA cup semi-final losses, for example). A win vs Arsenal today doesn't change it, neither standing above United and City for 2 consecutive years.

It is only going to change when they starts improving their Europe records and winning something big with their current squad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
On course to get 85+ points. They're making us look bad. It's actually very depressing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maybe it's just the few I've seen on the internet but for a team that has won sweet feck all their fans are unbearable. Cocky twats.
Not just the fans on the Internet unfortunately. I work in London and believe me when I say that literally every Spurs fan I have met and discussed football with turned out to be an arrogant twat. God knows why since they have not won a league title for over half a century. Good team for sure, but remaining that way will prove difficult in the long run as it does for all small clubs who harbor ambition toward success.

The higher they finish in the league, the more attention they bring themselves. Players like Alli, Kane, Walker etc are beginning to attract attention from clubs who are more than willing to meet their transfer evaluation and exceed it if necessary. Levy will come under immense pressure when the likes of City, United and Chelsea come knocking. Also heard Real are interested in Alli as well.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Not just the fans on the Internet unfortunately. I work in London and believe me when I say that literally every Spurs fan I have met and discussed football with turned out to be an arrogant twat. God knows why since they have not won a league title for over half a century. Good team for sure, but remaining that way will prove difficult in the long run as it does for all small clubs who harbor ambition toward success.

The higher they finish in the league, the more attention they bring themselves. Players like Alli, Kane, Walker etc are beginning to attract attention from clubs who are more than willing to meet their transfer evaluation and exceed it if necessary. Levy will come under immense pressure when the likes of City, United and Chelsea come knocking. Also heard Real are interested in Alli as well.
Walker will be the first off this summer. Him and Pochettino seem not to get along well anymore.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
A fitting send off for the old stadium:

* Club record 13 league home wins in a row in one season set today (beats previous club record 12 home wins in a row Division 2 1919-20).

* Record 16 WHL wins in a row all competitions set today.

Mana

Supports
Chelsea
We will win the PL trophy and while they had their best ever season, will end up trophyless. Their fans (well most of them), do not deserve success.

https://tinyurl.com/kege7ae (*Sorry guys, the forum won't allow embedded media for me yet - But it's a YT video of Robbie AFTV addressing Spurs security)

^ As I said before in this thread, (most) Spurs fans are terrible. I'll never forget the League Cup Final two years ago in Wembley when my sister was almost attacked by those petty Spurs fans. Something has to be done with them. Especially going to WHL. I know this is an United forum so United fans won't see so much abuse compared to us Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham fans but it's terrible. I feel for you Robbie, because I've seen it myself.

I feel safe going to other grounds. Emirates, Anfield, OT...okay maybe not the London Stadium but if I had to choose between London Stadium or WHL, LS all the way. WHL and hanging around a group of Spurs fans is dangerous. Your life is at risk if you support a London club that isn't Spurs.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
(whispers) Generally in a season where United did not win the title I would much rather have Spurs win out of the rest of the sides in the top 6.

Mana

Supports
Chelsea
(whispers) Generally in a season where United did not win the title I would much rather have Spurs win out of the rest of the sides in the top 6.
(whispers) Psst. Why? As soon as they win the league, they will think they are the best club in England for years to come. (Yes, they are that deluded as they think they currently the best club in London regarding them not winning anything for years). Not to mention, they got a new stadium coming, money coming in, a place in London...they will have the power as United and other big clubs to attract big players.

Spurs are not Leicester. Spurs winning the league will weaken your chances of winning the league next season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
(whispers) Psst. Why? As soon as they win the league, they will think they are the best club in England for years to come. (Yes, they are that deluded as they think they currently the best club in London regarding them not winning anything for years). Not to mention, they got a new stadium coming, money coming in, a place in London...they will have the power as United and other big clubs to attract big players.

Spurs are not Leicester. Spurs winning the league will weaken your chances of winning the league next season.
They are going to have to win trophies for a decade before I hate them as much as I hate Chelsea.

montpelier

It seems like Chelsea & Tottenham, 4 trying to join them on the top step, & the rest, atm. Dunno about anything else.

Claude Makélélé

We will win the PL trophy and while they had their best ever season, will end up trophyless. Their fans (well most of them), do not deserve success.

https://tinyurl.com/kege7ae (*Sorry guys, the forum won't allow embedded media for me yet - But it's a YT video of Robbie AFTV addressing Spurs security)

^ As I said before in this thread, (most) Spurs fans are terrible. I'll never forget the League Cup Final two years ago in Wembley when my sister was almost attacked by those petty Spurs fans. Something has to be done with them. Especially going to WHL. I know this is an United forum so United fans won't see so much abuse compared to us Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham fans but it's terrible. I feel for you Robbie, because I've seen it myself.

I feel safe going to other grounds. Emirates, Anfield, OT...okay maybe not the London Stadium but if I had to choose between London Stadium or WHL, LS all the way. WHL and hanging around a group of Spurs fans is dangerous. Your life is at risk if you support a London club that isn't Spurs.
Remind me of this news, just some days ago:

Tottenham fan left with broken skull and eye socket after being attacked by his own fans 'who thought he was a Chelsea supporter' after Wembley FA Cup semi-final

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Best team in the league to watch. Amazing.

Didn't think they will be able to sustain their form from last season. They have continued to grow and have become a force in the league. That too on the base of some home grown lads and some very astute buys. Credit to Poch for taking them up a level. Wonderful young manager. Hope we can get him before one of Real, Bayern or Barca lay their hands on him. Looks like a Manchester United manager. Some one who can make players better, rather than someone who always needs better players.

zing

Zingle balls

Didn't think they will be able to sustain their form from last season. They have continued to grow and have become a force in the league. That too on the base of some home grown lads and some very astute buys. Credit to Poch for taking them up a level. Wonderful young manager. Hope we can get him before one of Real, Bayern or Barca lay their hands on him. Looks like a Manchester United manager. Some one who can make players better, rather than someone who always needs better players.
An incredible achievement. Sad thing, for Spurs, is that you suspect it'll be back to fighting for top 6(or worse) when Pochettino is off. There's no way for a club outside of the big teams to break into the top tier, without being funded by a sugar daddy. For Spurs themselves, the board must be frustrated. If they invest a lot of money, it's entirely possible that they still don't make the step up just because of the gulf in investment between them and the likes of United/Chelsea.

Last edited:

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Last year 3rd, this year 2nd, next year...Nah, won't happen (if United and City strengthen as expected).
This gets trotted out every single season.

I could buy that for United. Under Mourinho you actually bought well.

City...not so much. I don't understand how Txiki Begiristain still has a job. They don't make signings to fill needs and when everyone gives Pep the excuse that "oh they have an aging squad" yeah well the guy who built that squad and never addressed those issues even though they've been glaringly obvious for years is still in the job.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
An incredible achievement. Sad thing, for Spurs, is that you suspect it'll be back to fighting for top 6(or worse) when Pochettino is off. There's no way for a club outside of the big teams to break into the top tier, without being funded by a sugar daddy. For Spurs themselves, the board must be frustrated. If they invest a lot of money, it's entirely possible that they still don't make the step up just because of the gulf in investment between them and the likes of United/Chelsea.
That's why it's crucial to keep this core, especially the likes of Alli and Kane who will bring in crucial commercial revenue due to their ability and nationality.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I voted no at the start of the season, thinking they would struggle with the added pressure of Europe and trying to juggle their commitments with a great first XI, but weak squad as a whole. I didn't believe their squad was experienced nor deep enough in quality to put in the needed performances twice a week during the European games.

I was right in a way, but it was the CL that they struggled in and couldn't put in the performances needed. I definitely think playing in Wembley was a major factor for the performances.

I hope they can build on the squad and they don't lose any of the key members, I really want to see how they manage the pressure of being one of the favorites each year. I do think that they need a trophy though to keep the better players from looking elsewhere in a couple years. They have players who should be winning trophies every year, not just being nearly men.

This summer will be a big one, making sure to get the right players in who will challenge the existing XI for their place in the team. Some players could start to become complacent, knowing that their is not really a player of good enough quality to come in and replace them.

It will also be difficult to get the right caliber of player who is of CL quality and willing to be on a wage that is not reflected based on other top 4 teams'. Tottenham have done fantastic in their wage structure up to now, all their major players on long term contracts and on reasonable wages too. However, these players are just people at the end of a day earning money, and if they're able to double their wages elsewhere and have the same/better chances of achieving their goals, then I'd be surprised if Tottenham are able to continue with the same wage structure if they consistently get into the CL.

Next year playing all their home games at Wembley is going to test them, and if this year is anything to go by then they are in trouble. Their away record is only 5th best in the league, whilst their home record is easily the best. If they find themselves outside the top 4 next year then that could be disastrous for their long term ambitions.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I voted no at the start of the season, thinking they would struggle with the added pressure of Europe and trying to juggle their commitments with a great first XI, but weak squad as a whole. I didn't believe their squad was experienced nor deep enough in quality to put in the needed performances twice a week during the European games.

I was right in a way, but it was the CL that they struggled in and couldn't put in the performances needed. I definitely think playing in Wembley was a major factor for the performances.

I hope they can build on the squad and they don't lose any of the key members, I really want to see how they manage the pressure of being one of the favorites each year. I do think that they need a trophy though to keep the better players from looking elsewhere in a couple years. They have players who should be winning trophies every year, not just being nearly men.

This summer will be a big one, making sure to get the right players in who will challenge the existing XI for their place in the team. Some players could start to become complacent, knowing that their is not really a player of good enough quality to come in and replace them.

It will also be difficult to get the right caliber of player who is of CL quality and willing to be on a wage that is not reflected based on other top 4 teams'. Tottenham have done fantastic in their wage structure up to now, all their major players on long term contracts and on reasonable wages too. However, these players are just people at the end of a day earning money, and if they're able to double their wages elsewhere and have the same/better chances of achieving their goals, then I'd be surprised if Tottenham are able to continue with the same wage structure if they consistently get into the CL.

Next year playing all their home games at Wembley is going to test them, and if this year is anything to go by then they are in trouble. Their away record is only 5th best in the league, whilst their home record is easily the best. If they find themselves outside the top 4 next year then that could be disastrous for their long term ambitions.
Good post, pretty much exactly what I feet as well, although I do feel people have been underrating our depth, it's not the quality of United, but it's still good imo. Regarding Wembley, we should be able to alter the pitch size to the same as WHL, I'm still not confident of Wembley, but it might still not be horrible. We'll have to see.

Treble

Let's not forget that for all their success in the league, Spurs have failed in any other competition, especially in Europe. Their showing in Europe was embarassing.

Spurs benefit a lot from the crises through which both Manchester clubs are going. Both United and City are in a process of rebulding their teams and their style of play. And Wenger is on his last legs, he's a dinosaur.

In short, I don't think that Spurs have a big potential to grow. They will be exposed again in the CL next season. The fact that they are so successful in the PL means only that the PL lacks proper top teams right now. Which was evident from Leicester winning the title last season. One season can't change things immediately.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If you read the english media you do think Tottenham are walking the league. A second place celebrated more than the top.

red4ever 79

Nice to see Spurs doing well. On the whole their transfer policy has worked well. I was impressed with Wanyama yesterday as well. Spurs/Arsenal situation is an interesting one at the moment. Through Wenger's arrogance Arsenal has stagnated recently. Their fans think they should have a divine right to be competing for EPL and CL, and they now represent for me a manager and club in freefall with Sanchez certain to leave and a number of players entering the final year of their contract.

Spurs on the other side are moving forwards led by a brilliant manager. If they can keep this group of players together and add a couple of higher ceiling players here and there, they will challenge again next season

AXVnee7

They may not have won anything, but they are on the up. It's certainly the priority for them to ensure they remain consistent in getting top 4 places. Next season I expect that both Utd and City will be looking to improve, as will Liverpool. So it's crucial that Spurs hold on to their top 4 place & maintain a title challenge next season, over silverware. They will also want to improve their showing in Europe which has been poor thus far. Eventually yes they need to do start winning trophies, but progressing from here is more likely to bring a trophy as a by-product of a strong team and winning mentality.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Let's not forget that for all their success in the league, Spurs have failed in any other competition, especially in Europe. Their showing in Europe was embarassing.

Spurs benefit a lot from the crises through which both Manchester clubs are going. Both United and City are in a process of rebulding their teams and their style of play. And Wenger is on his last legs, he's a dinosaur.

In short, I don't think that Spurs have a big potential to grow. They will be exposed again in the CL next season. The fact that they are so successful in the PL means only that the PL lacks proper top teams right now. Which was evident from Leicester winning the title last season. One season can't change things immediately.
Even if the "proper top teams" as you put them come good again it's not going to stop Spurs from spanking all the other sides 4-0 with regularity and finishing with around 80 points.

This would be a valid point if Spurs had farmed points off the other top sides, but they haven't. The other top sides improving wouldn't really affect Spurs.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm not going to lie, I'm envious of their team and their football.

Rory 7

This is bottom line for me. I really enjoy watching them, moreso than any other team in the league at the moment. And I don't give a toss if they have unbearable fans on an internet forum. Personally I'd really like to see them win the league. I would have much preferred them than Leicster City last season and Chelsea this season.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If you read the english media you do think Tottenham are walking the league. A second place celebrated more than the top.
This is true and it's very bizarre. Spurs have won feck all for going on 9 years. Good team to watch but quite far away from being one of the big boys. You have to win trophies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Let's get things into perspective here. As 'good' as they have been and similarly as 'poor' as we have been at times this season, we'll still have had a better season than them. That's the bottom line!

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
As happy as I was when Spurs won the league cup, I'm far more satisfied with this season, even if we finish second and with a bad European showing. I guess people want to downplay it since it's not winning the league, but in my eyes I'll be proud of our season and the way we have played regardless of what people say.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
As happy as I was when Spurs won the league cup, I'm far more satisfied with this season, even if we finish second and with a bad European showing. I guess people want to downplay it since it's not winning the league, but in my eyes I'll be proud of our season and the way we have played regardless of what people say.
But you ain't won anything. Would you still look on this season with the same fondness if you finished 7th next year and trophyless again? Like I said, we've still had a better season than you.

There's no point raving about 2nd spot, only to end up being shite in Europe, especially playing at Wembley next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.