The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Looks like Rose now wants to stay after all:

"I fancy myself against anybody in the league.”

“Pre-season I will come back and work hard to nail that number one spot."
A lack of alternatives will do that to a player.

He whored himself out to all and sundry last summer but no one was interested in his services, now all of a sudden he's had a change of heart. Convenient.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What's the general consensus among Spurs fans in regards to potentially losing Alderweireld and replacing him with De Ligt? De Ligt is very highly regarded and was excellent against United in the Europa league final.

Also, I'd be interested to know the feeling about Dembele leaving. He's a unique midfielder and I can't off the top of my head think of anyone readily able to replace him, I don't think there's a like-for-like replacement anywhere. Would losing him lead to any sort of tactical changes? I know Dembele was very important cog in the Pochettino machine.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What's the general consensus among Spurs fans in regards to potentially losing Alderweireld and replacing him with De Ligt? De Ligt is very highly regarded and was excellent against United in the Europa league final.

Also, I'd be interested to know the feeling about Dembele leaving. He's a unique midfielder and I can't off the top of my head think of anyone readily able to replace him, I don't think there's a like-for-like replacement anywhere. Would losing him lead to any sort of tactical changes? I know Dembele was very important cog in the Pochettino machine.
It would be short-term reduction of squad quality and Prem experience in exchange for hopefully an eventual longer-term increase.

If Dembele leaves for China then we'll definitely need to sign quality CM, but it's unlikely we'll find anyone with the same mix of attributes as Dembele. Tactical changes? Not sure.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
De Ligt is not in Alderweireld's league, granted he may be one day. And I can understand the links, that Ajax-Tottenham jewish connection, a lot of ex Ajax players at Tottenham including a former team mate Sanchez. Pochettino who will put faith in young players, and a path to the first team. Sanchez practically walked into the Spurs starting 11. Look at Spurs' CB's, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier, the only experienced CB they have who is a shoe in to start is Vertonghen. Sanchez did well but still young, Foyth barely played a game in PL, Dier is a utility player who can play CB in a pinch. De Ligt might see Spurs as a good move, where the path to first team football is easily achievable compared to some of the European giants. Whilst still being at a club with CL football and all the bells and whistles.

The Dembele move is understandable from the players perspective. His body just cannot take the rigors of playing so many games in a very physical league. So he has to look at his alternatives, taking a role on the bench as more a squad player or moving abroad for a big money payout to China. Im sure if he does elect to move on he will have the clubs backing and Spurs will be suitably reimbursed for his services.

AltiUn

It would be short-term reduction of squad quality and Prem experience in exchange for hopefully an eventual longer-term increase.

If Dembele leaves for China then we'll definitely need to sign quality CM, but it's unlikely we'll find anyone with the same mix of attributes as Dembele. Tactical changes? Not sure.
Wouldn't shock me if he ended up a better player in the long run, sky is the limit for him. Working alongside Vertonghen can only be good for him too, for years he's quietly been one of the top defenders in the PL.

Have you been linked with anyone for CM? I saw a few links to Milinkovic-Savic but I think PSG are circling round him now, and they're asking a huge fee. There's a few that may be worth a look while not like-for-like replacements could be good; Kondogbia wouldn't be a bad signing at all if he doesn't make his loan permanent and Kovacic would be very good, not sure if he's still lacking playing time but there were rumours at the start of the year he was looking for the door, but not really seen much about their availability.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
About to lose two of their best prospects.
Keanen Bennetts going to Germany, whilst Reo Griffiths, 17 yr old striker who has scored 27 goals in 20 appearances for U18 is also refusing to sign a contract.

AltiUn

Keanen Bennetts going to Germany, whilst Reo Griffiths, 17 yr old striker who has scored 27 goals in 20 appearances for U18 is also refusing to sign a contract.
Any indication where Griffiths might be going? I have a friend who supports Spurs who's been harping on about him for ages.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Are we the only ones not losing then at the moment? Seems to be a bit of an epidemic with the big clubs. *touch wood*

KM

Any indication where Griffiths might be going? I have a friend who supports Spurs who's been harping on about him for ages.
RB Leipzig was touted as a place.

AltiUn

RB Leipzig was touted as a place.
They've been circling every English talent, although they do play youth players. Wouldn't be a bad move. This is a strong English generation coming through (potentially) German clubs getting in there early then selling back to PL for huge fees may become a mini-business model in the future. Hopefully United can continue promoting players and showing there's first team opportunities to avoid any of our best talents having their heads' turned.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Looks like Rose now wants to stay after all:

"I fancy myself against anybody in the league.”

“Pre-season I will come back and work hard to nail that number one spot."

I dont think its about what Rose wants but whether Pochettino still wants him as part of his plans after coming out and criticising the club. As well as the fans, he may well have done his dash with a portion of Spurs supporters. Didnt he also come out and say he wanted to move back North to be closer to his family?

Bit of a dramatic turn around if he stays, and where does this leave Walker Peters if Rose stays on? I guess Rose is injured so much WP will get to play anyway.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
That Sanchez deal renewal is good news for them. I assume that's going to be the first of many? I have no idea how Spurs get their players to sign these long term contracts.

FireBlade

We will very soon see if they will spend big! They are in big trouble if they do not improve with a few good players and that's before any outs.

I just do not see who these good players will be as they could get better wages at most of the clubs in Europe.

If they have another year of poor form due to new stadium they are my fav's to drop out of top 4 next season, They will need to add quality to even stand still.

Spurs have messed up with the stadium it should of been done years ago as all prices are inflated now. They missed the best chance to win silver ware
by pretending spending the clubs money on players/wages is a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
That Sanchez deal renewal is good news for them. I assume that's going to be the first of many? I have no idea how Spurs get their players to sign these long term contracts.
It seems pretty self evident to me, a 21 y/o CB is almost guaranteed first team football with a coach that believes in young players, in a club based in London with a state of the art training centre and stadium playing in CL football. I dont think anyone would argue young players need game time to grow, how much game time would he be getting at one of the European giants? He spends 4 years at Spurs taking him to 2022 and to age 25, if he grows into one of the best CB's in football he can move on to one of the giants, get that massive pay out, and win trophies.

It's been Spur's modus operandi for a while now, buy young up and coming talent, sign them to a long term contract. When they hit around 25-27 and if they are good enough they move on to play for the big hitters in European football. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see De Ligt go to Spurs as well.

From the players perspective I think it's a good decision, just like Eriksen turning down Manchester City to sit on the bench behind Silva when he first came to the prem in 13-14, he walked into the Spurs starting 11 and has been a fixture in it since the day he signed for them. There wouldnt be too many clubs in football that would turn down Eriksen nowadays, and id say he will move this season or the next.

De Ligt is not in Alderweireld's league, granted he may be one day. And I can understand the links, that Ajax-Tottenham jewish connection, a lot of ex Ajax players at Tottenham including a former team mate Sanchez. Pochettino who will put faith in young players, and a path to the first team. Sanchez practically walked into the Spurs starting 11. Look at Spurs' CB's, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier, the only experienced CB they have who is a shoe in to start is Vertonghen. Sanchez did well but still young, Foyth barely played a game in PL, Dier is a utility player who can play CB in a pinch. De Ligt might see Spurs as a good move, where the path to first team football is easily achievable compared to some of the European giants. Whilst still being at a club with CL football and all the bells and whistles.

The Dembele move is understandable from the players perspective. His body just cannot take the rigors of playing so many games in a very physical league. So he has to look at his alternatives, taking a role on the bench as more a squad player or moving abroad for a big money payout to China. Im sure if he does elect to move on he will have the clubs backing and Spurs will be suitably reimbursed for his services.
Can you shed more light on this? I know Spurs have Jewish connections. Didn't know about Ajax though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Can you shed more light on this? I know Spurs have Jewish connections. Didn't know about Ajax though.
Not much to tell, Ajax has/had a large jewish following. And directors of the club have been jewish over the years, most recent being Uri Coronel who stepped down in 2011. Amsterdam itself had a very large Jewish population and was knows as the Jerusalem of the West and a 'Mokum' city up until WWII. They chant Joden(Jew) at stadiums rather than Yid, kind of gives it away ;)

I suspect much like Spurs a lot of the more modern supporters are not Jewish but embraced the Jewish identity in response to anti semitic chants from opposition clubs.

KM

I don't think Jewish connections plays any factor in Spurs being interested in the Ajax players.

Not much to tell, Ajax has/had a large jewish following. And directors of the club have been jewish over the years, most recent being Uri Coronel who stepped down in 2011. Amsterdam itself had a very large Jewish population and was knows as the Jerusalem of the West and a 'Mokum' city up until WWII. They chant Joden(Jew) at stadiums rather than Yid, kind of gives it away ;)

I suspect much like Spurs a lot of the more modern supporters are not Jewish but embraced the Jewish identity in response to anti semitic chants from opposition clubs.
Oh wow I didn't know that, thanks for the info. You learn something new everyday lol ❤:)

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I dont think its about what Rose wants but whether Pochettino still wants him as part of his plans after coming out and criticising the club. As well as the fans, he may well have done his dash with a portion of Spurs supporters. Didnt he also come out and say he wanted to move back North to be closer to his family?

Bit of a dramatic turn around if he stays, and where does this leave Walker Peters if Rose stays on? I guess Rose is injured so much WP will get to play anyway.
Walker-Peters can play (and has played) as either LB or RB , so I'm guessing he won't be that short of chances to play, especially given domestic cup games etc.

Yes, Rose did say previously that he wanted to move back North to be closer to his family. But I'd think that Poch would still like to keep Rose, regardless of those comments, if the player is now happy to stay ... because a fit and firing Rose is one of the very best LBs in the Prem.

After his comments Rose has still fared well enough with Spurs fans this season, so I don't see why next season will be any different.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We will very soon see if they will spend big! They are in big trouble if they do not improve with a few good players and that's before any outs.

I just do not see who these good players will be as they could get better wages at most of the clubs in Europe.

If they have another year of poor form due to new stadium they are my fav's to drop out of top 4 next season, They will need to add quality to even stand still.

Spurs have messed up with the stadium it should of been done years ago as all prices are inflated now. They missed the best chance to win silver ware
by pretending spending the clubs money on players/wages is a bad thing.
This is yet another popular myth. Spurs have the 12th highest wage bill across the whole of Europe. Or to put in another way, outside of the Prem only 6 other clubs pay higher wages than Spurs.

By the way, "another year of poor form"? I don't regard the 2017-18 season as having been especially "poor" for Spurs.

Raru9

Harry Winks also sign a new deal with Spurs until 2023.

He's a good promise.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Harry Winks also sign a new deal with Spurs until 2023.

He's a good promise.
I'm not quite on-board the hype train yet, he was good for a while although not as good as some claimed imo, after that injuries hit. Would not be comfortable going into next season relying on him as anything other than squad/4th choice. He could prove me wrong though.

Raru9

Yes, is a shame so many injuries, he probably miss the pre-season again. But I see level in the kid. His match against Madrid in Spain was superb.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is yet another popular myth. Spurs have the 12th highest wage bill across the whole of Europe. Or to put in another way, outside of the Prem only 6 other clubs pay higher wages than Spurs..
So 11 clubs can pay more than Spurs? 5 of them in the same league? What exactly is a popular myth? You've just confirmed it as being fact. Nobody is suggesting that 50 teams pay more.

It should be worrying because every single one of those 11 clubs will offer at least the same, but generally better chances of a trophy at the same time they pay these players more.

Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Kane are all absolute top drawer talents that could realistically hope to finish their careers with a Champions League medal
Rose, Son, Alli can look at the likes of Kyle Walker, Willian and Pedro as similar level talents that recently won a League title.

The Spurs model at the moment feels like a finely honed version of that which saw Southampton do so well. Talent acquisition and development done exceedingly well. Spurs could very easily go the same way that Soton did though. They don't seem to have the money to both retain their players, and improve their squad at the same time. There are only so many shrewd signings that can be made. And equally, only so many seasons that world class players will be happy to not win anything.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So 11 clubs can pay more than Spurs? 5 of them in the same league? What exactly is a popular myth? You've just confirmed it as being fact. Nobody is suggesting that 50 teams pay more.

It should be worrying because every single one of those 11 clubs will offer at least the same, but generally better chances of a trophy at the same time they pay these players more.

Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Kane are all absolute top drawer talents that could realistically hope to finish their careers with a Champions League medal
Rose, Son, Alli can look at the likes of Kyle Walker, Willian and Pedro as similar level talents that recently won a League title.

The Spurs model at the moment feels like a finely honed version of that which saw Southampton do so well. Talent acquisition and development done exceedingly well. Spurs could very easily go the same way that Soton did though. They don't seem to have the money to both retain their players, and improve their squad at the same time. There are only so many shrewd signings that can be made. And equally, only so many seasons that world class players will be happy to not win anything.
Why don't you actually read the post I replied to? It talked about better wages being on offer "at most of the clubs in Europe."

"Most of the clubs in Europe" doesn't equate with there being only 6 clubs outside the Prem who pay better better wages than Spurs ... and even this doesn't take into account the very generous bonus system operated by Spurs.

You mention winning the CL and/or the league title. Are the current players at United really any closer than Spurs to winning either of these? I think not.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Why don't you actually read the post I replied to? It talked about better wages being on offer "at most of the clubs in Europe."

"Most of the clubs in Europe" doesn't equate with there being only 6 clubs outside the Prem who pay better better wages than Spurs ... and even this doesn't take into account the very generous bonus system operated by Spurs.

You mention winning the CL and/or the league title. Are the current players at United really any closer than Spurs to winning either of these? I think not.
I did read the post you replied to.

Why the hell would I take 'most' to mean 'more than half' or 'more than 75%' of clubs. I'm saying: You're happy to admit that 11 clubs in Europe pay better than Spurs. I'm saying for World Class players that is a cornucopia of clubs to choose from. Every single one has a better shot of trophies than Spurs. 11 is a HUGE number.

There are not;
10 better centre forwards than Kane.
10 better 10's than Eriksen
20 better Centre halves than Toby & Vertonghen

Those players will want to win things (Perhaps not Kane)

11 teams will pay better. 11 teams have a better chance of attaining silverware. 20-30 teams have won silverware more recently.

And yes. United finished 2nd, closer to Spurs to winning the league. CL was a wash. United are closer to winning a League or CL. Wake up.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They've been circling every English talent, although they do play youth players. Wouldn't be a bad move. This is a strong English generation coming through (potentially) German clubs getting in there early then selling back to PL for huge fees may become a mini-business model in the future. Hopefully United can continue promoting players and showing there's first team opportunities to avoid any of our best talents having their heads' turned.
Pretty much universally agreed upon England has the best crop of youngsters on the planet currently. Bundesliga clubs are on a conscious recruitment drive to sweep them up.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I did read the post you replied to.

Why the hell would I take 'most' to mean 'more than half' or 'more than 75%' of clubs. I'm saying: You're happy to admit that 11 clubs in Europe pay better than Spurs. I'm saying for World Class players that is a cornucopia of clubs to choose from. Every single one has a better shot of trophies than Spurs. 11 is a HUGE number.

There are not;
10 better centre forwards than Kane.
10 better 10's than Eriksen
20 better Centre halves than Toby & Vertonghen

Those players will want to win things (Perhaps not Kane)

11 teams will pay better. 11 teams have a better chance of attaining silverware. 20-30 teams have won silverware more recently.

And yes. United finished 2nd, closer to Spurs to winning the league. CL was a wash. United are closer to winning a League or CL. Wake up.
Lol ... one season. And you performed worse than Spurs in the CL, even if we did both go out the same stage. And you're telling me to "wake up"? ... lol

By the way "most" does mean "more than half" (at the very least).

FireBlade

I know its all new to you but Professional football is about winning, not winning on the lowest budget.

One day you might get to taste a Major cup win as it must be hard to imagine some thing we get every other season.

James Peril

Lol ... one season. And you performed worse than Spurs in the CL, even if we did both go out the same stage. And you're telling me to "wake up"? ... lol

This fecking guy again. Probably haven’t won a proper trophy in your entire lifetime, I guess you’re about 14 tears old, and you dare compare yourself with an institution that has dominated everything in England the last 20 years? No club can win everything every year, thank god for that, but Tottenham are so far away from winning anything they’re not even on the map. United have been a bit down lately after Ferguson departed, but take a look at the trophies won. We have been at our weakest for 20 years, you have been at your best, still you have won absolutely nothing and we are one game away from adding yet another trophy. If we don’t, then fine, we won something last year and can handle the drought. And it took one half-assed season from United to comfortably beat Spurs in the league again. Look over your shoulder and enjoy the six/eight games you get in the Champions League next season - you never know when it’s back to Azerbadjan and Bulgaria on Thursday evenings.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Who are spurs targets for the summer??
Has to be CB's, they have 2 recognised CB's, one of which is 21, it's why I thought De Ligt to Spurs could be on the cards. Apart from that hard to know, I think they should go in and make a statement signing, Glaston keeps telling us Spurs have plenty of cash and it's not all tied up in the stadium. Lets see a big signing then, Kovacic would be a good fit given Dembele's injury and Winks is Wilshere v 2.0.

Oh and maybe some backup for Kane, Llorente is what 33-34?

Djemba-Djemba

You've been on this forum 11 years and seen Spurs win one trophy.

In that time Utd have won everything, and yet you still act so smug and arrogant.

It's actually impressive how you manage it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This fecking guy again. Probably haven’t won a proper trophy in your entire lifetime, I guess you’re about 14 tears old, and you dare compare yourself with an institution that has dominated everything in England the last 20 years? No club can win everything every year, thank god for that, but Tottenham are so far away from winning anything they’re not even on the map. United have been a bit down lately after Ferguson departed, but take a look at the trophies won. We have been at our weakest for 20 years, you have been at your best, still you have won absolutely nothing and we are one game away from adding yet another trophy. If we don’t, then fine, we won something last year and can handle the drought. And it took one half-assed season from United to comfortably beat Spurs in the league again. Look over your shoulder and enjoy the six/eight games you get in the Champions League next season - you never know when it’s back to Azerbadjan and Bulgaria on Thursday evenings.
You haven't dominated since Fergie left.

And if you look at comparative average league positions of Spurs and United since Fergie left - as well as looking at the CL this last season - then I think it's entirely reasonable to say that United are currently no closer than Spurs to winning either the league title or the CL ... which was the point under discussion before you jumped in with your rant about Azerbadjan and Bulgaria.

Status
Not open for further replies.