g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The state of Guardiola | Regrets Redmond incident

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm wondering why you think the way we and Chelsea play is more sustainable over a season, than City's style of play.
Because the effectiveness of City's style of play requires every player to approach every game like a maniac on speed, and it is a physical and mental near impossibility for a team to do that for a whole season, or even a majority of it. It showed very clearly last season when they couldn't keep it up for more than a couple of months...the results followed suit as soon as Spurs burst their confidence/belief bubble. It shows already this season for me. Against Arsenal they looked really laboured and I've not seen them get that intensity back since.

When the intensity drops, it becomes easier for teams to organise against them, and to counter attack...and City leave themselves so open, that even if they have 60%+ of possession, if they are letting teams counter them, they are going to concede chances. There isn't anything there for them to fall back on. They play the way they play and it either works and they control the game, or they struggle.

The way us and Chelsea play is very different. United or Chelsea can win a game by letting the other team play and picking them off...or they can press for a goal when needed. There isn't this super intensity one week after another. There is a solid defensive unit to fall back on if other areas of the performance aren't quite as good. There's a way to win games and perform to a consistent level over a season that isn't going to run into a brick or fatigue wall at any point.

I'd still make City favourites but I think they'll definitely need the head start they've given themselves, because I don't see them going back to scoring an average of about 5 goals a game, and without that struggles will happen, as they have started to.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think they run as much as before and continue to create good chances. They had difficult games at the start of the season when they were supposed to be fresh. Their most difficult game was vs Bournemouth in August. It was more difficult than the last 2 games in terms of chances created and conceded. The fact that they needed late goals to win does not imply that they play with less intensity. When you are wasteful, you are bound to rely on late winners. And they were wasteful vs Huddersfied and Soton. Against Soton they didn't start with Silva and Sane who can make quite a difference. In short, I'm not noticing the tendency you are seeing. Might be wrong though.

Not sure about the pattern you are seeing. Last season City won as many points in the second half of the season as they did in the first. They finished strongly despite having then a relatively old squad
They can cover the same ground without the same intensity. Under LVG I think we were one of the hardest working teams in the league, but it was all done without any real purpose or sharpness. Teams would just pick us off.

The fact they are consistently winning with difficulty does suggest a drop in performance, and the last few times I've watched them, they have still created chances, but not nearly as at will, and it has been very noticeable how much easier the opposition are breaking out on them.

Games earlier in the season, it was just waiting to see how many they would score, or when the opponent would die on their feet. Now the games are a contest. Southampton were in the game and about 10 seconds away from a result...they could easily have been winning. Huddersfield were frustrating them right until the end despite not being much more than organised. Arsenal broke on them enough times to have beaten them if they'd been clinical...might have anyway if the ref had done his job.. This wasn't happening before. If it happens consistently, you don't keep winning every game, because you're relying too much on chance. They create chances, but so does every good team, and I'm not saying they aren't still a good team.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Is there a video in this thread of what Pep did after the game?

Treble

They can cover the same ground without the same intensity. Under LVG I think we were one of the hardest working teams in the league, but it was all done without any real purpose or sharpness. Teams would just pick us off.

The fact they are consistently winning with difficulty does suggest a drop in performance, and the last few times I've watched them, they have still created chances, but not nearly as at will, and it has been very noticeable how much easier the opposition are breaking out on them.

Games earlier in the season, it was just waiting to see how many they would score, or when the opponent would die on their feet. Now the games are a contest. Southampton were in the game and about 10 seconds away from a result...they could easily have been winning. Huddersfield were frustrating them right until the end despite not being much more than organised. Arsenal broke on them enough times to have beaten them if they'd been clinical...might have anyway if the ref had done his job.. This wasn't happening before. If it happens consistently, you don't keep winning every game, because you're relying too much on chance. They create chances, but so does every good team, and I'm not saying they aren't still a good team.
They scored only 5 goals in the first 3 games of the season. Was it because they were tired and didn't sprint enough? How was Brighton away (0:0 up to the last 20 min.) or Bournemouth away or Everton at home much different than Huddersfield away and Soton at home? Last night they had 74% possession, 26 shots, 12 on target. That's above average stats for this season. When thed smashed Watford 6:0 they had 67% possession and 10 shots on target. Jesus alone missed 3 clear chances last night way before the last 15 minutes. Score from these chances and it isn't a contest at all. Had Aguero taken his chances in the first half vs Huddersfield, it wouldn't have been a contest either. Being wasteful could be a sign of mental tiredness or something. That's possible. But I would like to see hard stats about their sprints in the last two games. I suspect that the main difference with previous games is their conversion rate.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
If Mourinho had done it people would be calling him a cnut, but it's fine if Guardiola does it because he is a genius who reinvented football. Why are some people defending Guardiola? Why are you comparing what Guardiola did to what Mourinho has done in the past? It's like 2 people committed murders and only one person is given the death sentence just because of his past but the other person is free of any charges because he was a good person before he committed a murder (just an example). What Guardiola did was wrong, he can't go and shout at an opposition player just because he was doing what his manager told him to do. If he can't handle it when things don't go according to his plans, then he shouldn't manage a team in such a competitive league.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Is there a video in this thread of what Pep did after the game?

Just to give the OP some context.

Obviously waving around accusations of mental illness is a bit OTT but this is a manager who famously walked away from his dream job because he said he couldn’t take the stress of it any more. So I can’t see the problem in analysing his behaviour to see if there’s any signs of an imminent meltdown. Even if this does hurt the feelings of his resident uber-fans.

Have to say the signs are encouraging. Based on this clip anyway.

gibers

A lot of the responses in this thread point more to jealousy.

Camilo

May as well shut the forum and sack every pundit then.

I find it odd that when certain managers or players do things there is a higher percentage of apathy towards it. It's not the end of the world but people are going to discuss things like this, nobody is asking for him to be castrated
I entirely reserve my right to be a grumpy bastard who hates all things gossip.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There it is!

Although you could make a point that Pep shouldn't be telling the opposition players how to play (in a way that would benefit his team of course). Overall he's more unique than evil here.

C'est Moi Cantona

If he's so good go and buy him Pep, no? didn't think so, becasue he's not, the guy is manic, it's not normal behaviour, he needs to be punished for that, it's not one rule for him and one rule for the others.

Moonred

He is an eccentric oddball. There isn’t much else to this. Entertaining if anything and gives you hope that his idiosyncrasies might end up in some kind of implosion.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
'I was very disappointment'

Who the feck is spell checking his statements???

Also Zlatan would absolutely deck Guardiola if he did that to him.

Pennywise

Pep would have been right over to Redmond if City hadn't won right enough. He's a complete prick of a man.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
That newspaper is an absoulte disgrace and has been for years.

peridigm

Well, this is a disappointing turn of events.

Didn't care one way or the other.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone that has followed Pep since he got into management, would know he's a bit of an odd fellow.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
So do we still want him banned for lifetime?

Oh come on, the way he was moving and shouting there's no way it was anything but a tirade.
Didn't you see what he did with Kimmich 2 years ago? he's just a bit nutty

padr81

Supports
Man City
If he's so good go and buy him Pep, no? didn't think so, becasue he's not, the guy is manic, it's not normal behaviour, he needs to be punished for that, it's not one rule for him and one rule for the others.
Punished for what? Complimenting a player? When both Pep and Redmond have given the same story I'm pretty sure Pep has done no wrong except being an idiot.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
8 pages :lol:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Jim White on radio today was saying it's great and he's just trying to help an English player improve. Bollocks, opposition players have got feck all to do with other managers.

Some people are sycophants.... Pep could piss on some journalist's dogs and they'd say "thanks, he needed a wash".

If United win the Derby and Jose grabs Sterling and says "you should tuck in and defend a bit more" who thinks Pep - City - journalists will say it's fine?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
People acting as if what he said was what the outrage was. It's obvious Guardiola uses his status in the game to get all touchy with people. I can see why Zlatan doesn't like him, he seems to have no perception of personal space.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
People acting as if what he said was what the outrage was. It's obvious Guardiola uses his status in the game to get all touchy with people. I can see why Zlatan doesn't like him, he seems to have no perception of personal space.
different cultures, I know for a fact that northern european people get a bit anxious about how touchy southern europeans are