The State of the Anti-United Media (Or just the state of the club it seems)

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
When you are one of the very top clubs in the world you are open to examination by the world press and to be honest Jose has not covered himself or the club in glory. Quite often he is rude and ill mannered to all around him. This kind of behaviour can only result in anti united media. Learn a lesson from Klopp & Poch,the press love them.

Josep Dowling

There is an anti-United bias with the media at the moment.

However Mourinho isn’t helping himself or the club. I understand he has fallen out with the media and doesn’t want to play their games anymore. Turning up and not answering their questions isn’t going to help. Sitting in press conferences and acting like managing the biggest club in the world is a chore isn’t helping matters.

Why can’t he just get a bit more upbeat?

He represents the club in every interview and he’s letting us down at the moment.

Member 5225

Err if we were winning we’d get solid press coverage. If we’re run by a circus, have out players acting like clowns with cryptic comments literally in front of cameras, their agents literally being aggressive towards club legends and any criticism on twitter, and a manager who’s always sucking on lemons as a result.....can hardly blame them (press, pundits etc) can we?

Sort out our own shit before we keep pointing the finger outwards....

Giggsyking

He is responsible for that mess. He should clean it up. Though I never fell sorry for the scum media.

Un4givableB

I don't buy the 'anti-united-media' narrative, we are the best supported(and maybe also disliked) team in the world, anything we do for better or worse is news & click bait.

fezzerUTD

There is an anti-United bias with the media at the moment.

However Mourinho isn’t helping himself or the club. I understand he has fallen out with the media and doesn’t want to play their games anymore. Turning up and not answering their questions isn’t going to help. Sitting in press conferences and acting like managing the biggest club in the world is a chore isn’t helping matters.

Why can’t he just get a bit more upbeat?

He represents the club in every interview and he’s letting us down at the moment.
I agree with not helping himself, that could be to do with all the stories being written about him. Would you be happy if the press kept writing bs about you? Would you go into the press room and smile with them? And helping the club? Why would he when they are not supporting him?

ZlatMan

I can't believe what Don Hutchinson said on the Kickoff programme. He had the gall to compare Martial to David Silva's situation in a pathetic attempt to paint Pep as a saint and Jose the mean demon. Only a giant asshole can think the two are the same.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
So, can we expect some City criticism this weekend seeing as they dropped points?
No because Pep and City are "playing football the right way" and they don't generate as many clicks as United or sell as many papers.

Everything about City is heaven and everything about United is hell.

crossy1686

career ending
Nah, they're good.
No because Pep and City are "playing football the right way" and they don't generate as many clicks as United or sell as many papers.

Fully expecting the weekend being all about us despite not playing until Monday night and whatever our result is.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

The thing is that’s not wrong though is it? City do play football the right way, whereas we are the equivalent of the torture indoctrination scene from a clockwork orange. City are also a media friendly club and have subsequently controlled the narrative well. What do people expect? The manager has a long history of being an arsehole to all and sundry, especially the media. This has been the case when he was in Spain too. We knew it when he signed for us. He was never going to make us popular. People hate Mourinho. He’s probably the most disliked elite manager I’ve ever seen. - success always breeds contempt to some extent, but Mourinho couples that with a deeply abrasive and unpleasant personality and extremely negative football.

The only way this works, is if he is successful. Is if he gets the team playing football and winning games and trophies. He’s made enemies everywhere, especially the media. It didn’t happen overnight, it started at Chelsea. Of course the knives are out now that he is failing. He made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

My guess is that it is thoroughly miserable for him. But like everything and everywhere Mourinho goes, it’s all about him. The club is merely collateral damage in the Jose show. Yes the media will always write stories about United, it’s a HUGE sell. But a different manager, and a different PR strategy can change the narrative significantly. We’ve seen plenty of puff pieces on Woodward when he feels it necessary, so of course it’s possible.

Offsideagain

When you are one of the very top clubs in the world you are open to examination by the world press and to be honest Jose has not covered himself or the club in glory. Quite often he is rude and ill mannered to all around him. This kind of behaviour can only result in anti united media. Learn a lesson from Klopp & Poch,the press love them.
So you’re saying Klopp and Poch have never has a scowl at a press conference? I think you have been selective in your viewing. Klopp is a nutter.

City are media friendly now?
Mostly because they shower the media with free goodies. Mark Lawrenson let the cat out of the bag when he stated that ‘The roast you get for lunch is great and free’. Wouldn’t be surprised if they hand out free tickets to help fill the council ground.

Fluctuation0161

Err if we were winning we’d get solid press coverage. If we’re run by a circus, have out players acting like clowns with cryptic comments literally in front of cameras, their agents literally being aggressive towards club legends and any criticism on twitter, and a manager who’s always sucking on lemons as a result.....can hardly blame them (press, pundits etc) can we?

Sort out our own shit before we keep pointing the finger outwards....
Add in the fact that Woodward is briefing the press against our managers transfer choices and you do have a point.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

And again...
Honestly, if people can’t see the agenda now they never will. Not enough to go at Mourinho, they are now trying to tear down Helen Evans?! It’s bordering on hysteria now.

RORY65

I tend to find the talk of agendas against us to be incredibly tedious and largely nonsensical but Christ some of these journalists are precious at times. That's an MUTV interview, of course it's a puff piece that's not going to be the most balanced or rigorous in terms of the line of questioning but to call it a disgrace is completely over the top when it will be the same for any in-club channel/website. Also I'm not sure whether the cheerleader thing was intended that way but it does come across as sexist.

Silver

Also I'm not sure whether the cheerleader thing was intended that way but it does come across as sexist.
Yeah regardless of his intentions, it's definitely sexist especially when he also goes out of his way to demean her as a "self-styled" reporter. MUTV often have these kinds of interviews with players and the manager yet I don't recall an instance where a journalist has gone out of his way to belittle the interviewer like he has here.

48 hours

Look at this gem of an article by Oliver Holt. It includes the following:

He was getting a guy who comes in, wows a club with his charisma and his record, alienates all but the fans of the club he is managing, picks fights, makes enemies, makes it all about him, takes flight on a magic-carpet ride of unbridled narcissism, lives for the now, stifles attacking football and attacking footballers, plays it for the short term and moves on.

Watching him implode is like watching a movie on a loop: the same thing happens time after time after time. Sure this season is in its infancy and, starting with Monday night's clash with Spurs at Old Trafford, things may yet improve. Tottenham have a rotten record in Stretford

Even those who did not miss the conference altogether were treated to terse, tense answers. Yeah, I know. Boo-hoo. The media set-up at Old Trafford has been amateur hour for some time now and a few sports reporters missing a press conference is hardly the end of the world.

Green_Red

Other clubs must love a good United yarn, it distracts everyone from what theyre doing and just lets them get on with business. If United were 10th in the league they would still be top spot in the sport tabloids.

black country red

Look at this gem of an article by Oliver Holt. It includes the following:

He was getting a guy who comes in, wows a club with his charisma and his record, alienates all but the fans of the club he is managing, picks fights, makes enemies, makes it all about him, takes flight on a magic-carpet ride of unbridled narcissism, lives for the now, stifles attacking football and attacking footballers, plays it for the short term and moves on.

Watching him implode is like watching a movie on a loop: the same thing happens time after time after time. Sure this season is in its infancy and, starting with Monday night's clash with Spurs at Old Trafford, things may yet improve. Tottenham have a rotten record in Stretford

Even those who did not miss the conference altogether were treated to terse, tense answers. Yeah, I know. Boo-hoo. The media set-up at Old Trafford has been amateur hour for some time now and a few sports reporters missing a press conference is hardly the end of the world.
this twat is so anti united its unbeliveable i wish paddy creand would stitch the headband wearing wanker a good one next time

Chairman Steve

While we do have deep rooted problems, I still think a lot of negativity comes our way because our historical rivals play much better football than us and people like to twist the knife about it. 15 years ago Jose was the media darling and hardly ever did we hear about his style of football. Sir Alex and Wenger even back then we’re just two old fuds approaching sell by date.

Guardiola and Klopp are now the new media darlings. They’re the shiny new toys... so now Jose is the fud who as far as I can tell is still playing the same brand of football he plays now as was in 2004-2007

Liverpool’s transfers couldn’t have clicked together any better and City just throw around another couple hundred million to make their problems go away. £17m on Bravo and he didn’t work after barely a year? Just go out and spend double on Ederson and spend a hundred million on fullbacks alone.

RORY65

While we do have deep rooted problems, I still think a lot of negativity comes our way because our historical rivals play much better football than us and people like to twist the knife about it. 15 years ago Jose was the media darling and hardly ever did we hear about his style of football. Sir Alex and Wenger even back then we’re just two old fuds approaching sell by date.

Guardiola and Klopp are now the new media darlings. They’re the shiny new toys... so now Jose is the fud who as far as I can tell is still playing the same brand of football he plays now as was in 2004-2007

Liverpool’s transfers couldn’t have clicked together any better and City just throw around another couple hundred million to make their problems go away. £17m on Bravo and he didn’t work after barely a year? Just go out and spend double on Ederson and spend a hundred million on fullbacks alone.
His football wasn't that well liked back then, I remember us almost being the press/neutrals darlings in 2007 because we were underdogs and the way we played. The difference then was he wasn't as miserable as he now is, he only had a history of success then (he hadn't had what happened in his last year at Madrid, the worst half-season in modern history at a big club and two years of only OK work at United) and also because he was up at two managers who had been around for years while he seems like the old, stale figure now.