The Summer 2019 Rebuild

Jeffthered

Koulibaly and Sancho would be enough for next season. Summer 2020 is when we should invest in a full-back, defensive midfielder(Young retires and Matic is goes to Italy) and left-footed winger.

IN
Koulibaly, Sancho

OUT
Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Mata, Sanchez
De Gea
Dalot Lindelöf Koulibaly Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial

Romero
Fosu-Mensah Smalling Bailly Young
McTominay
Fred Pereira
Greenwood Lukaku Lingard

Grant, Tuanzebe, Jones, Chong, Gomes, Garner, Williams​
Looks promising, but this squad doesn't win the League, sorry. The front three of Sancho (who I would hesitate in spending £100m on, I can't believe how flippant some are on here. Has he done enough to command that fee? really?), alongside Rashford and Martial will not score enough goals to win the league and really push for CL (in my opinion... )

You need a real, goalscorer. Lukaku is the closest we have, and he needs to find another level of consistency, and retain it. It's possible, but by no means is it probable. Ole, has stated on a number of occasions, that Rashford HAS to score more 'normal' scrappy goals... his game needs that focus. Martial the same, and in my opinion, Martial needs to step-up a level or two if he is going to be that key player many on here suggest he already is. He has talent, loads of it, but he needs to realise this. With more goals, more assists, more defining, consistent performances. Compare Martial to Hazard for example. Or Sterling. They define how their teams attack all the time. Martial is yet to reach that level.

That midfield needs some more speed... Fred may, may work out to be this player, but we looked pretty pedestrian on Sunday at times. No panic, but I can see why Ole sees the need to get the youngsters involved. Sometimes, we just lack energy, and we have few natural leaders out there, to drive us forward, raise the tempo, recognise the need to.

Fosu-Mens

Not going to close the gap during a season and a window, so buy young/smart, blood the youngsters, develope the current players, improve our style of play(methods in which we are attacking and creating chances) and secure a top 4 with some margin. Gradual imporvement over time(1-3 seasons) and we might be in position to challenge for PL/CL. No more quick fixes with big names like Sanchez/Di Maria/Schweinsteiger that ends up being a problem...

This upcoming transfer window really should give us an idea of the clubs direction for next season and beyond.

If Ole is the manager then I'd be surprised if we brought in anyone over the age of 26.

ForestRGoinUp

Considering the measly 60M spent the last 2 windows, I am setting my personal summer expectations for the club to spend something like 250M. Around an average of 50M on 5 players. Has there been too much turnover among coaching/scouting staffs to accomplish that? Most likely. (Still) without a DoF, is Woodward more apt to buy a 120M+ player to puff out his chest? Even more likely.

This squad is not just a couple of players away from challenging though.

MadMike

So long as we move on the deadwood (Rojo, Sanchez, Mata, Darmian, Valencia) renew the key players that need renewing (Herrera, DDG, Rashford) and proceed to get 2-3 players in those key positions that have been left vacated, we'll be fine.

RW, RB are a priority when you notice both our weaknesses in play and the list of players sitting on the departures lounge. Then another player wherever else Ole thinks we need one the most.

Nr.7

It will be very interesting to see what strategy Ole and the club will use in the transfer market. Obviously with Zidane now back at Real and a massive overhaul of their squad being very likely the prices (certainly those of the top players RM will be interested in, i.e. the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Hazard, but also top talents like De Ligt) will likely go up again. That, combined with the fact that Ole is very much in favour of promoting our youth could very well prompt Woody to be conservative once again. I'd wager Ole will see Tuanzebe as a possible solution to our CB situation and he could very well give Mitchell/Laird a chance at fullback. TFM is a possibility for RB/CDM. Garner/McT for midfield. We have Greenwood and Chong for the attacking spots. Queue "no value in the market".

Watching Ole speak about how he plays Football Manager along with how he values Man Utd’s tradition + Ed Woodward I think this is the most likely scenario.

Probably with just one or two signings.

StrettyEnder07

Neville's list is comical. Adding two additional CB to the five(six if you count Tuanzebe) we already have, is just an overkill. Sure we'll likely sell Rojo, but the rest are all either youngish or have just signed a contract.

The whole situation is a bit of a mess anyway. We clearly need a top level CB (which Woodward apparently thinks is the only type worth buying, even if it will cost an absolute fortune), but we also extended Jones's contact and I think there's a real possibility Tuanzebe will be promoted to the first team, especially if Ole stays. So, start the season with six (seven if we listen to Neville) CBs (one of which will cost up to 100m €) and throw squad balance through the window I guess.

We clearly don't desperately need a striker either. We have two. We paid shitloads for Lukaku, who can be great when on form. Popping up with goals against smaller teams is a useful skill and he's the only player we have, who has done that consistently in his career. The other one is Rashford, who's a great talent and the whole of English press wanted him to move, when he didn't start regularly at the beginning of the season. Our brightest talent in the academy is also a striker. And Gary wants us to add another one? Why?

We do need a RW (or at least someone who will play from the right, I still think Griezmann could do what Lingard does, but about 10 times better, although that's a pipe dream anyway), and considering we'll likely go for either Sancho or, knowing Woodward, Bale, it will cost an absolute fortune. We also need an offensively competent right back and a CM for depth. Ether that or we roll the dice on Mctominay/Pereira/Dalot/TFM/pray Young won't finally colapse for another year.

RB, RW, CB, CM in order of necessity.
Yeah Neville's list shocked me a bit have to say, I think Ole might be happy enough to let Bailly go, he was class in his first year but since then has been very mistake prone and not done it. Giving new deals to Smalling & Jones will be protecting the investment but I think Ole trust's them more than Bailly.

Rojo is a shoe in to be sold I reckon, could see a CB line up of Lindelof, Koulibaly or De Ligt, Smalling, Jones & Tuanzebe.

I was a big fan of TFM when he made his debut and his breakthrough year but he has not set the world alight with his loans, not sure what will happen with him going forward. Darmian/Valencia both going, Young and Shaw for LB, Dalot and either TFM or go for Wan Biasska maybe, but will probably cost you 40m.

Totally agree that we do not need a striker, Rashford, Lukaku and hopefully Greenwood having a breakthrough season next year.

Not sure what is happening with Mata, maybe back to Spain for a swansong with Valencia etc., but we definitely need to sort that right hand side out, Sancho would be class but if he turns out to be far to expensive then I like that Brooks at Bournemouth.

In my opinion we could do with an upgrade on Matic and I would love Neves at Wolves but not sure that will happen, 4 signings would be ideal!

Adebesi

I dont think buying 5+ players in one window is necessary or desirable, and it isnt going to happen anyway.

Gary Neville talking about signing two centre backs, I think one is enough. And bring back Tuanzabe. Release Jones and Rojo.

Sign a right back. Valencia is going, Young should stay another year.

The last one should be a right sided attacking player.

I dont think we need to mess about with the midfield. Trust Fred and McTominay, make sure Herrera stays, and I think we are looking good.

Im not saying this squad will be the finished article, or as good at City's. But I dont think you can do too much at once. We go into next season with that squad and see how it goes, making further additions next summer.

MadMike

I dont think buying 5+ players in one window is necessary or desirable, and it isnt going to happen anyway.

Gary Neville talking about signing two centre backs, I think one is enough. And bring back Tuanzabe. Release Jones and Rojo.

Sign a right back. Valencia is going, Young should stay another year.

The last one should be a right sided attacking player.

I dont think we need to mess about with the midfield. Trust Fred and McTominay, make sure Herrera stays, and I think we are looking good.

Im not saying this squad will be the finished article, or as good at City's. But I dont think you can do too much at once. We go into next season with that squad and see how it goes, making further additions next summer.
Need to keep up with the news, matey. Jones signed a new contract last month up to 2023. He's not getting released. If any defender other than Rojo leaves, it will most likely be Bailly.

passing-wind

The net spend over the last two or so windows is under 70 million so I don't see how we can only sign two players, we need at minimum 4 additions I'm inclined to agree with Neville.

We need a midfield no 8, winger, centre half and right back. Those for me are priorities reinforcement at LB is needed, if Shaws injured then we are in trouble.

£300 million to be spent if we are looking to challenge.

ROFLUTION

This upcoming transfer window really should give us an idea of the clubs direction for next season and beyond.

If Ole is the manager then I'd be surprised if we brought in anyone over the age of 26.
Indeed. And a definite answer to whether the Glazers are pennypinchers or not

Indeed. And a definite answer to whether the Glazers are pennypinchers or not
To be honest I'm not expecting a overly busy transfer with us in terms of incomings.
Maximum players in,in my opinion,will be about 3 with 4,5 players being moved on.

I think Nevilles' prediction of us bringing in 5/6 players in is ,well,delusional.

ForestRGoinUp

To be honest I'm not expecting a overly busy transfer with us in terms of incomings.
Maximum players in,in my opinion,will be about 3 with 4,5 players being moved on.

I think Nevilles' prediction of us bringing in 5/6 players in is ,well,delusional.
It's a good thing someone like Neville is saying these things, as the Glazers would be more than happy to pocket the savings themselves. We won't get 5/6 players in this one window, but without a doubt we will need to but 6 nailed on First XI players over the next 2 summers.

BaseFishing

Likely to be staying at the end of the season: |
Likely to be leaving at the end of the season: -
Possibly getting promoted to the first team: +
Returning from loan at the end of the season: /

GKs:

| DDG
| Romero
| Grant
/ Pereira

CBs:
| Smalling
| Lindelof
| Jones
| Bailly
/ Tuanzebe

- Rojo

FBs:
| Shaw
| Young
| Dalot
/ Fosu-Mensah

- Valencia
- Darmian

MF:
| Pogba
| Mata
| Lingard
| Pereira
| Fred
| Herrera
| Matic
| McTominay

+ Garner
+ Gomes

FW:
| Lukaku
| Rashford
| Martial
| Sanchez

+ Greenwood
+ Chong

SparkedIntoLife

The front three of Sancho (who I would hesitate in spending £100m on, I can't believe how flippant some are on here. Has he done enough to command that fee? really?)
Wayne Rooney had scored 15 goals for Everton when we signed him for £25m in 2004, a comparable fee at that time, relatively speaking. Sancho has 11 for Dortmund from wide and 19 assists at a younger age than when Rooney signed.

Eyebrows were raised when we signed Rooney for that price. Retrospectively, it was a bargain.

The reason people are associating such big sums with Sancho is that he’s widely recognised as a generational talent, is home grown and owned by a rich club that don’t need to sell. He’s an outstanding prospect and we could get 15 good years out of him. I don’t know if there’s a better prospect than him for that right wing spot in world football. Maybe Vinicius but Sancho currently seems to have greater end product. What’s so impressive is his football brain.

I understand your feelings though. Maybe many of us are soured from paying lots of money for players in their prime (or just past) considering recent high profile flops. Perhaps Sancho seems more of a safe investment to us, though logically that probably isn’t true.

BaseFishing

The areas where we need at least one more player are full backs (left/right or both) and forwards (right winger/wide forward), assuming no one leaves who isn't already expected to leave.

sherrinford

Wanting the team you support to sign 3 first teamers and 2 squad player's makes me entitled? 'spend wisely'. Its because of fans with your mentality the Glazers are enabled to penny pinch, we spent 60m last summer and zero in January. Where did that get us? You are happy seeing us outspent by Fulham while Glazers hand out dividends. Ole as a manager is brilliant but a lot of fans have now become deluded with the talent in the academy. Not every youth player will be a top talent. Where is Mcnair, Blackett, Wilson and Borthwick Jackson? Who else did Sir Alex promote to the first team apart from the anomaly of the C092? We shouldnt limit ourselves from signing top players because we are worried about 'Laird and Chong'. By saying we need 1 or 2 signings you are sayng your happy with challenging for the top 4 next season and not challenging for any trophies. Neville knows the quality needed to win a title and he is an objective view point, unlike Ole who will say 1-2 signings to get the contract.
Signing squad players is a waste of time (with the possible exception of a low cost right winger, if we were to commit to a diamond midfield and needed a Shaqiri-like signing for a change of shape) - no need for a backup left back, holding midfielder or anything else. No new right back, we just bought Dalot this season. Or rather, if we do buy a right back we effectively write him off and his signing becomes a waste.

We have purchased shoddily. Matic and Fred have been unnecessary, Lukaku is an underwhelming spearhead to the attack and Sanchez has been a disaster. We need the money spent this summer used on players who are going straight into the starting line up. No transfer is a guaranteed success but we can certainly give ourselves more of a chance than we did with Fred and Dalot this year. We haven’t upgraded the team for two years. Though it’s not always the case, buying high quality is usually expensive and I certainly don’t want to see us skimping on quality to bring in more numbers, and we must have a budget so we aren’t going to bring in five players who are a clear improvement on what we’ve already got. Three is more achievable, but then why expend funds on two backup players?

I hold out very little hope for academy players, and I don’t watch them so they don’t really factor into my opinion on transfer options. We are not going to be lining up in a few years time with Tuanzebe at centre half, Laird right back, McTominay, Garner and Gomes in midfield and Rashford, Greenwood and Chong in attack. Yes, folk get far too carried away with young players. I thought Tuanzebe was impressive for the first team and Greenwood is obviously getting raved about - hopefully a few are cut out for top level football. We are sure to get a few useful squad players out of them anyway, saves us buying filler.

When it comes to buying players, we need to concentrate purely on our own team. There is no point in saying ‘we are not as good as Man City, we need six players to catch up’. Just look at what’s missing and what’s weak in our own side - in comparison to the rest of our team not any other team. Working within our means, improve those areas and reassess. Constantly. We can’t control what happens at Man City or Liverpool. Guardiola might leave and Real Madrid might buy Salah. Conversely, City might finally get a dependable, top drawer left back and Liverpool might sign Coutinho or Fekir. It doesn’t change what United should be looking to do.

Drz

Won't incomings depend on wether we qualify for the champions league?
In my mind, outgoings won't change regardless of how we end the season, but if I take the case of J. Sancho for example, won't he prefer gaining an extra year of experience in Europe's elite competition?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Will Real Madrid be able to afford Eder Militao on top of all the attacking signings it sounds like they will try to do?

Militao has been defender of the month four months in a row at Porto. According to reports he is a great central defender, but just as good as a right back. That could suit us well considering the situation with Dalot/Laird. OGS tried playing Bailly as a RB with little success. We have seen Klopp (Gomez) and Pep (Laporte) do something similar when needing a good defender at RB. I also remember Ferguson using central defenders at fullback when he needed a good defender. It could be an option.

Silas

Won't incomings depend on wether we qualify for the champions league?
In my mind, outgoings won't change regardless of how we end the season, but if I take the case of J. Sancho for example, won't he prefer gaining an extra year of experience in Europe's elite competition?
Not sure if some games in the CL would be of more benefit than an entire season in the PL.

Hughie77

Can see Rojo going, Mata maybe, Darmian going, Valencia, Sanchez should go wages issue, In a CB Koulabaliy hopefully in best about at moment, Jadon Sancho is for me all out to get, Jao Felix is another I think we go for.
Lukaku will stay because he's bought into the way Ole wants to play, I think if Greenwood keeps impressing in under23 we won't get another striker. And we need a right back unless Dalot is going to be used mainly as a right back, but He's Raw in the defending part so there has to be improvement so I can see a right back coming in .

Drz

Not sure if some games in the CL would be of more benefit than an entire season in the PL.
I didn't watch Dortmund in the champions league this season. But they failed to score vs Tottenham if I'm not mistaken, if so I doubt he had the necessary impact and I am left wondering if he is ready to step in as a starter and a big money move. For the amount quoted, you'd expect him to have a direct impact and that will be unfair.
If it were for 40Mil + Add ons, I'd go for it. I feel uneasy spending the reported 80mil off the bat.

sam147

Signing squad players is a waste of time (with the possible exception of a low cost right winger, if we were to commit to a diamond midfield and needed a Shaqiri-like signing for a change of shape) - no need for a backup left back, holding midfielder or anything else. No new right back, we just bought Dalot this season. Or rather, if we do buy a right back we effectively write him off and his signing becomes a waste.

We have purchased shoddily. Matic and Fred have been unnecessary, Lukaku is an underwhelming spearhead to the attack and Sanchez has been a disaster. We need the money spent this summer used on players who are going straight into the starting line up. No transfer is a guaranteed success but we can certainly give ourselves more of a chance than we did with Fred and Dalot this year. We haven’t upgraded the team for two years. Though it’s not always the case, buying high quality is usually expensive and I certainly don’t want to see us skimping on quality to bring in more numbers, and we must have a budget so we aren’t going to bring in five players who are a clear improvement on what we’ve already got. Three is more achievable, but then why expend funds on two backup players?

I hold out very little hope for academy players, and I don’t watch them so they don’t really factor into my opinion on transfer options. We are not going to be lining up in a few years time with Tuanzebe at centre half, Laird right back, McTominay, Garner and Gomes in midfield and Rashford, Greenwood and Chong in attack. Yes, folk get far too carried away with young players. I thought Tuanzebe was impressive for the first team and Greenwood is obviously getting raved about - hopefully a few are cut out for top level football. We are sure to get a few useful squad players out of them anyway, saves us buying filler.

When it comes to buying players, we need to concentrate purely on our own team. There is no point in saying ‘we are not as good as Man City, we need six players to catch up’. Just look at what’s missing and what’s weak in our own side - in comparison to the rest of our team not any other team. Working within our means, improve those areas and reassess. Constantly. We can’t control what happens at Man City or Liverpool. Guardiola might leave and Real Madrid might buy Salah. Conversely, City might finally get a dependable, top drawer left back and Liverpool might sign Coutinho or Fekir. It doesn’t change what United should be looking to do.
I agree on everything in regards to academy players and signing first teamers. However, sometimes depth is needed. For example, Dalot is a top talent yet one injury to him and Young will be started. I only compared to City to give some fans a sense of the real lack of quality as fans seem to be disillusioned with our squad and believe 17 year old academy players are good enough for the first team. We do need to gain focus on signings. The issue for me is, years of under-investment has led to a squad with gaps. If we do scout properly and sign 5-6 players then the coming transfer windows we can focus on improving the real 1-2 areas. In the way Juventus do.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
To be realistic of the ability of the current side and its stature compared to Citeh and competitors when looking at who we had in previous years.

Van DerSar/Schmeical
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Scholes
Beckham
Ruud van N
Giggs
Etc

Without mentioning some stellar other positions we had, we are well behind due to poor identification and penny pinching for value in the market when Barca, Real, Citeh, Chelski even PSG and others were buildng and recruiting at the top end of the player market. There is a distinct need to invest quite heavily to move into the top 2/3 sides even in the EPL without looking overseas.

Overrating current players is a common thread for supporters of all clubs, but reality dictates that we are well short in a number of positions. Teflon Ed needs to convince the Glazers and dare we say himself, that signings for social media clicks is not what is needed going into next season.
Bang on.

We have two players that would start in the City or Liverpool line up.

Of course, I don't need to list them.

Let's not even talk about the subs bench.

A good run of from does not change the reality that we have a pretty subpar squad. One that ten years ago we would have been utterly appealed by.

sherrinford

I agree on everything in regards to academy players and signing first teamers. However, sometimes depth is needed. For example, Dalot is a top talent yet one injury to him and Young will be started. I only compared to City to give some fans a sense of the real lack of quality as fans seem to be disillusioned with our squad and believe 17 year old academy players are good enough for the first team. We do need to gain focus on signings. The issue for me is, years of under-investment has led to a squad with gaps. If we do scout properly and sign 5-6 players then the coming transfer windows we can focus on improving the real 1-2 areas. In the way Juventus do.
Nothing wrong with Young for depth, at both right and left back. The notion of having quality backup for every position is a fantasy - it has never happened at any team ever. Deliberately spending money on a backup player is nonsense, unless the first team cannot be improved which is never the case - it most certainly isn’t the case at United. Upgrading your starting lineup naturally strengthens the depth of your squad anyway as someone will be making way for the new signing. Signing cover will never take a team up a level.

It’s not just underinvestment - we have generally spent heavily in the years following Sir Alex’s retirement. The recruitment has just been relatively poor on the whole. Again, we are not going to sign five or six players. Not top quality ones - that is half a team! It’s not feasible. If we do bring in that quantity, it’s guaranteed that the quality won’t be there across all signings - if you buy a Pogba, then you know you have a Pogba to take your midfield up a level and remain a part of the lineup as the side improves even if that means not getting a defender or winger immediately, but if you settle for a Fred so you can also buy a Bailly and a Mkhitaryan then you are only getting so far before you start to think about needing to go over those positions again. The notion that we can sign half a team now and that leaves us only needing player x or y the following year hinges on a massive assumption that the club is somehow going to get every single one of those multiple signings correct and every new player is going to be a roaring success. In reality it won’t work like that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Will Real Madrid be able to afford Eder Militao on top of all the attacking signings it sounds like they will try to do?

Militao has been defender of the month four months in a row at Porto. According to reports he is a great central defender, but just as good as a right back. That could suit us well considering the situation with Dalot/Laird. OGS tried playing Bailly as a RB with little success. We have seen Klopp (Gomez) and Pep (Laporte) do something similar when needing a good defender at RB. I also remember Ferguson using central defenders at fullback when he needed a good defender. It could be an option.
Militao looks a very interesting prospect. Think we should move for him if we get any encouragement.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I didn't watch Dortmund in the champions league this season. But they failed to score vs Tottenham if I'm not mistaken, if so I doubt he had the necessary impact and I am left wondering if he is ready to step in as a starter and a big money move. For the amount quoted, you'd expect him to have a direct impact and that will be unfair.
If it were for 40Mil + Add ons, I'd go for it. I feel uneasy spending the reported 80mil off the bat.
Except it isn't 2010, and 80m for a world-class potential youngster is pretty much the going price. The price tag isn't going to put any more pressure on him than one would normally have as a new signing playing for United, and him starting every game and improving over time is a better option than pretty much anything else we could do either in the market or from our squad options available.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If we got Militao the last place I want him being stuck is RB. He's absolutely class in the middle of the park, and is much more valuable there. Sign a true attacking option at RB, it's been too long since we had even an ounce of decent, consistent attacking play from that position.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If we got Militao the last place I want him being stuck is RB. He's absolutely class in the middle of the park, and is much more valuable there. Sign a true attacking option at RB, it's been too long since we had even an ounce of decent, consistent attacking play from that position.
I agree. But I think Dalot and Laird could do a great job against most of the teams in the PL and would prefer them to get game time. Militao could be an option on RB in games where we know we will not dominate possession, and could need someone that is stronger in defence. If we have that mindset we could probably bring in two centrebacks (Militao or Milenkovic and Andersen or Milenkovic for instance).

Nitewolf

I think this idea that we need to push slowly for top 4 then in few years to compete for the league is not ambitious enough. We need to push for it hard next season, and this squad is full of deadwood, let alone how sentimental we can get by keeping players just because they were good at some point in their career.

We need to go for Sancho, De Ligt, Koulibaly, Wan Bissaka and try for Rabiot since he is free agent. Those 5 players should be our top priorities, this will tick all the boxes and will correct all our deficiencies. They may cost us a fortune but that's what it take to get back to the level where we can compete for EPL and UCL.
2 excellent CB, one with experience and the other is a young prospect with good leadership potential. One right wing, RB and a holding midfielder who is an upgrade on both Herrera and Matic, especially the latter since he's clearly loosing fuel to continue on this top level.

We need to solve the Sanchez wage problem, if no good offer to satisfy his wage demands then sell him for 25 millions and give it to him, at least we'll get rid of 65 million pounds and regain control on our wage bill. Valencia is finally leaving, so should Mata, Young, Jones, Damian, Rojo and even Bailey. They should all be sold or used as bargaining chip for our targets.

I have watched us miss out of huge transfer target and excellent talents for many years for very stupid reasons, and weak excuses. Now is not the time for missing out, we don't know when could find this grade of talent available, with almost no competing rivals in the market. We are in a strong position to sign all those players, we should go hard for them.

RD94

We need to go for ndombele or sign rabiot for free(both can cover 8 and 6) for midfield.For defence only De ligt would be upgrade(Milenkovic is just a slower version of Smalling, Koulibaly 28 and mostly relies on strength and speed(first bigger injury and he would probably decline a lot).For right back Dalot, Young with bringing youth can cover that position.For attack we need RW,first option Sancho (young, quick enough, brilliant close control and english) and Chiesa for second option.

Out: Mata, sanchez, rojo or bailly (if replacement is coming), valencia, darmian.

De gea

Dalot De ligt(Smalling) Lindelof Shaw

Ndombele(Rabiot) Herrera Pogba

Sancho Rashford Martial

Subs:Romero,Young,Lukaku,Lingard,Mctominay,Matic,Jones..

Greenwood,Gomes and other youth players coming in subs in case of injuries

Last edited by a moderator:

TRUERED89

What do people think of Bernardeschi's performance last night? Fantastic RW display, and did just as well on the left when Dybala came on. Won them the penalty in the 88th minute too.

davidmichael

In an ideal world we’d buy 5 players which would be a right back, a left back, a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a right sided forward.

Young is ok at right back but we need better than just ok and Dalot probably won’t be ready to be first choice by next season, we’re also an injury to Shaw away from having no left back. Matic is still at times very good but there’s no alternative unless Herrera is going to play there, our need for a quality centre back is well known as is our need for an actual right sided forward.

If I could sign players for all 5 positions I’d go Wan-Bissaka as he’s the perfect alternative to Dalot as ones defensively brilliant whilst the other is great attack wise. I’d go with Tierney to alternate with Shaw at left back and Koulibaly as centre back as I don’t think De Ligt is going anywhere other than Barca. Rice would be choice for defensive midfielder and I’d go all out for Sancho as right sided forward.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What do people think of Bernardeschi's performance last night? Fantastic RW display, and did just as well on the left when Dybala came on. Won them the penalty in the 88th minute too.
Juventus are not going to sell Bernardeschi — the combination of quality and versatility he offers makes him an invaluable asset to Allegri, and he's also young and Italian. If United want someone with his characteristics, it would be better to target his former team-mate, Chiesa — who's more developed at comparable stages of their careers, and is also very versatile (can start on both flanks, somewhat centrally and even as a wingback).

TRUERED89

Juventus are not going to sell Bernardeschi — the combination of quality and versatility he offers makes him an invaluable asset to Allegri, and he's also young and Italian. If United want someone with his characteristics, it would be better to target his former team-mate, Chiesa — who's more developed at comparable stages of their careers, and is also very versatile (can start on both flanks, somewhat centrally and even as a wingback).
You never know, if they win CL this year things could change, someone like him is just what we need, so impressed last night, flawless performance for 90 mins against arguably the best defence around!

deadrevelz

Nothing wrong with Young for depth, at both right and left back. The notion of having quality backup for every position is a fantasy - it has never happened at any team ever. Deliberately spending money on a backup player is nonsense, unless the first team cannot be improved which is never the case - it most certainly isn’t the case at United. Upgrading your starting lineup naturally strengthens the depth of your squad anyway as someone will be making way for the new signing. Signing cover will never take a team up a level.
Fergie's best teams did have excellent back ups on the bench as does the current City side. Most people aren't suggesting buying 2nd rate players, but rather more first team players, who will then compete with other first team players to get in the team. That increases motivation and of course provides natural replacements in case of injuries and rotation. We've done extremely well to get through the injury crisis recently but our luck may run out if it happens again.

Devil may care

I think we'll be using the Tortoise over the Haire model, we are more likely to be competing for top 4 than the title again next season IMO. There's going to be another season of players trying to prove their worth, even Rashford needs to score a lot more as Ole has been saying, if we are going to win a league title and that will take time as we forget how young he is.

Ole said a couple of players in, now there's talk of not buying a CB emerging, I think Woodward will look to add a big attacking player to the squad to replace Sanchez and sprinkle some stardust on Ole's first summer, and hopefully the other buy will be a CM that can improve our starting midfield with more mobility and more creative passing. I really hope the 2nd signing isn't Wan-Bissaka despite his name being linked quite often, if we are just going for top 4 then give Dalot the chance to really bed in as he offers actual attacking threat as a modern fullback where Wan-Bissaka offers next to none.

Of the academy players people are frothing over, Greenwood has an air of composure about him that stands out, Gomes and Chong haven't done anything in their cameos and I think with Gomes the coaching staff aren't sure how to utilize him as he's very small to play in his best position in the PL. Chong and Garner both need loans.

Cantonagotmehere

#1 for me is providing competition or replacement for Matic. He does not have the legs to compete vs the top midfields anymore. An improvement at the position will greatly help Pogba in my opinion. Not sure of Herrera can do that job?

Agree with some posters above that we need goal scoring help. City having Aguero and Jesus makes us look so thin there. Maybe its Greenwood, but that would be tough to count on for next year. I love Rashford but he needs to chill out more in front of goal in my humble opinion. I assume he will over time.