The Sun - Wayne Rooney: Manchester United captain fears he will be axed by Jose Mourinho

izec

Its actually impossible he won't he axed. Impossible. Do I think he will start tomorrow? yes. But it is going to get unbearably bad and Rooney will have to be dropped eventually. I see it as inevitable.
Yeah he will get ''dropped'', in the busy winter months or out of tiredness. But he wont be dropped for a longer period or lose his starting place permanently this season. I dont see it, Jose lost his balls and the club generates commercial value from him at the moment.

deadonhi

Willy
He is brutal. It's actually quite sad to see and I genuinely feel for him but his time has passed.

Devil may care

If Fatty starts more than 10 more Pl games for us we won't make CL.
I agree, there's no way to build any momentum with him in the side, it's like playing with 10 men, in fact worse, at times it's like 12 vs 10 as he breaks up more of our play than opposition DM's.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think Jose has managed this situation pretty well thus far.
Whilst a Pep style "your not in my plans so feck off" delivered pre-season would have been my preferred option, by giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself he now has all the media and fans onside with what he's going to do. He will not start on Saturday. No chance.
Hopefully we go on a nice little run now and Rooney stays benched.
Just don't see it how he has managed the situation well. 'You're not in my plans so feck off' aka Pep's method, would have been the only way when I could have said that Jose did this well.

Now is all about damage limitations, providing that Jose has finally found a pair of bollocks.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
After Jose's press conference and him not critcising Rooney at all when specifically asked about him I am really starting to give up hope. This club is becoming a laughing stock. If Rooney starts against Leicester it is a complete joke. Mourinho individually criticised players in the last week but can't even bring himself to say Rooney has been poor or out of form when asked, what a mouse of a man. Rooney is bigger than Man United.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think deep down Mourinho will enjoy keeping on starting him and watching him burn on the pitch. It is a very different strategy to the one he deployed with Casillas.

Imagine he keeps playing him and Rooney keeps playing as he is.. wow, I can't imagine the crowd tolerating it. Sooner or later their patience is going to wear thin. I could hear some boos when he touched the ball at Northampton, so at home.. if he is stinking up the shop, the crowd will get toxic eventually.

BringNaniBack

I think Jose has managed this situation pretty well thus far.
Whilst a Pep style "your not in my plans so feck off" delivered pre-season would have been my preferred option, by giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself he now has all the media and fans onside with what he's going to do. He will not start on Saturday. No chance.
Hopefully we go on a nice little run now and Rooney stays benched.
Sorry but the amount of people that are posting this crap claiming Mourinho is 'giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself' or 'Letting him play himself out of the team' just exactly how long are you going to say that for? Until the last game of the season when Rooney is still starting?

Rooney has done more than enough to play himself out of the team. How could he play any worse? What exactly is playing himself out of the team if he hasn't done it already with how poor he has been? If he starts against Leicester this so called plan of Mourinho's is a fantasy and hope many of you have dreamt up in your own heads.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
After Jose's press conference and him not critcising Rooney at all when specifically asked about him I am really starting to give up hope. This club is becoming a laughing stock. If Rooney starts against Leicester it is a complete joke. Mourinho individually criticised players in the last week but can't even bring himself to say Rooney has been poor or out of form when asked, what a mouse of a man. Rooney is bigger than Man United.
Jose was never going to criticise him in a press conference.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
There has be a clause or, pressure from upstairs to play him.

No way, at any level of football, does a player play that bad and not get dropped. I know it sounds ridiculous and crazy but, what other explanation is there now?

We're talking about the man who binned Raul....fecking Raul!! A hero at Real Madrid and banished the local shit brick between the sticks

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You really expected Mourinho to criticise Rooney in front of the press?

Dante

Average bang
A couple of things make me doubt this story:

1. According to the Caf, he has a clause which says he has to play when fit
2. Also according to the Caf, the media wouldn't print a negative story about him because Rooney has control over what they report

This Sun article doesn't make any sense.

BringNaniBack

You really expected Mourinho to criticise Rooney in front of the press?
No I didn't expect him to because I know he is under the thumb of Rooney like our previous 2 managers were but he should have criticised him yes or at least been honest about his poor performances.

mav_9me

If this clause in the contract is a real thing, Jose might be forcing the boards hand here and forcing them to pay him out.
Whether he has that contract thing or not, I think he is playing him to prove to the board how detrimental he has become. At some point nobody can continue to defend these performances. But of course by that time it may cost us our season in EPL. Big gamble by Jose if so.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A couple of things make me doubt this story:

1. According to the Caf, he has a clause which says he has to play when fit
2. Also according to the Caf, the media wouldn't print a negative story about him because Rooney has control over what they report

This Sun article doesn't make any sense.
The 2nd has been proved wrong this week, and it appears that it's mates of his who won't do criticise him. The jury is still out on the first, the strongest evidence against it is him not starting against Stoke on Boxing Day. He did play the 2nd half and it was the busy Christmas period, so he may have decided not to start.

Dante

Average bang
The 2nd has been proved wrong this week, and it appears that it's mates of his who won't do criticise him. The jury is still out on the first, the strongest evidence against it is him not starting against Stoke on Boxing Day. He did play the 2nd half and it was the busy Christmas period, so he may have decided not to start.
The first was proved wrong by Mourinho: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/541645/Jose-Mourinho-Wayne-Rooney-dropped
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/541645/Jose-Mourinho-Wayne-Rooney-dropped
I'm not sure whom to believe. The evidence or the conspiracy theories.

Apparently, Mourinho is under Rooney's thumb as well!

izec

Mou is always good at picking up on ''weak'' players, like Schweini, Lingard, Mkhi or Shaw. But saying something negative about Roo or Zlatan, nope.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

No way, at any level of football, does a player play that bad and not get dropped. I know it sounds ridiculous and crazy but, what other explanation is there now?

We're talking about the man who binned Raul....fecking Raul!! A hero at Real Madrid and banished the local shit brick between the sticks
Yeah agreed. There is pressure from the club. When you see how they reacted to the caller on MUTV, you realise how backward some people at the club are.
Surprised Jose is not able to sit down with Ed and explain things. Ed is sensible, so the only explanation is that something is tied in with that contract. Even opposition fans are posting those comments all over the place because although they are enjoying the whole thing, they still can't understand how he keeps getting picked.

In the meantime, I'm going to be anxious until we get to 40 points and thus safe from relegation:D

Sparky10Legend

Jose would NOT, in my view, take the job if there was some kind of "fatty must play" pressure from above.

When he was given the job he was/is ,arguably, the 2nd best manager in the world. Why would he accept such working conditions?

No.

Jaxdan

Jose would NOT, in my view, take the job if there was some kind of "fatty must play" pressure from above.

When he was given the job he was/is ,arguably, the 2nd best manager in the world. Why would he accept such working conditions?

No.

Agreed. I think the whole 'Play when fit' clause stuff is, as Wayne would say, rubbish. Maybe these managers, players, etc. actually see something the average fan on the Cafe or Twitter doesn't? Like training every day?

Jazz

No.
You forget he's coming off a shit season, plus he was desperate for this job. Under those circumstances, it's not hard to imagine that he would have agreed to something he normally wouldn't, in order to fulfil his desire for the job.

Pep on the other hand, would never have accepted such a condition as his career hasn't had a slump yet, and he has more options for his services than Jose.

C3Pique

A "special report" on Wayne Rooney. Basically just showed the press conference earlier interspersed with highlights of the losses. Plus some input from United fans around OT about how Rooney needs to be dropped.

Jazz

A "special report" on Wayne Rooney. Basically just showed the press conference earlier interspersed with highlights of the losses. Plus some input from United fans around OT about how Rooney needs to be dropped.
Thnks. Can u imagine the circus when he gets dropped - be it now or two years from now?:lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Sun don't know shit.
Without commenting on anything in particular, I'd just like to point out that this is generally true.

I'd also add that in addition to not knowing anything they also lie alot. It's kind of their thing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Agreed. I think the whole 'Play when fit' clause stuff is, as Wayne would say, rubbish. Maybe these managers, players, etc. actually see something the average fan on the Cafe or Twitter doesn't? Like training every day?
If he's the best guy in training but one of the worst on the pitch constantly, then surely something is wrong no ? Surely giving him starts isn't the solution.

Jaxdan

If he's the best guy in training but one of the worst on the pitch constantly, then surely something is wrong no ? Surely giving him starts isn't the solution.

Agreed. And I don't even know if that is the case, just saying there is obviously more to it. I defend Rooney typically. I believe his performances are over scrutinized. That said, I'm ready for him to sit for a few games like everyone else, and see if he is indeed holding us back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Agreed. And I don't even know if that is the case, just saying there is obviously more to it. I defend Rooney typically. I believe his performances are over scrutinized. That said, I'm ready for him to sit for a few games like everyone else, and see if he is indeed holding us back.
There is definitely more to it indeed. We're all making hypothesis but I have no doubt him playing so much has little to do with performances on the pitch, there are other reasons compelling Mourinho to play him so much. I don't know if his teammates will sort of "riot" behind him but I would think benching an underperforming player,no matter his status, would be seen positively. Other so called big players would realize that Mourinho isn't to be fecked with.

manunited1919

He needs to be benched tomorrow, and remain benched for a number of games so that the players which are worthy of the position get a fair opportunity to gel.

If Rooney keeps playing on and off as a starter, we can forget about the title, and we will also struggle to make top 4.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The pressure from upstairs is to win games. Our board never select the team. The manager has full authority to sell/buy/cut any player he chooses.
This is the reason why no manager (even Fergie) has ever stated that, "There is pressure for me to play player x".
Jose (and 4 other managers) are picking Rooney because they think he is the best player.