The support on this forum for this club is a disgrace

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Someone said it earlier about lots of supporters being 'consumers' rather than 'fans'.

As an example, it's not unusual for someone to say that they 'wasted 2 hours watching this shite football' as if they are their to be entertained by a performer. More often than not, these people are not match going fans and so don't actually do anything to spur the players on. They think because they chose to support United (basically no investment at all) and spend a little money they have a right to demand whatever they want.

Deleted member 101472

Articulation is the key word.

You can have two posters who feel exactly the same about something, and one conveys it well and the other doesn’t.

We all know people at work/the pub/gym who’s conversation we just want to avoid, and it’s the same on here. You can spot the arseholes in real life a mile away just scrutinizing a post or two.

jem

I seriously wonder how certain people function in life. I mean I’m not an avid poster in the match day thread but I am able to perform multiple functions at once. It’s really not that hard to watch and type at the same time. The way some go on about it you would think it’s some impossible task. Think of how many things you do whilst driving, how many things you have to be aware of.
Are some so occupied trying to remember they have to breath that they can’t do any other task. It just amazes me.
It's not about functioning - it's about focusing on something that you are supposed to be enjoying (well I guess 'supposed to' might be a bit strong, but the point is entertainment.) It's the same with watching a movie/tv show. Of course, you can do something else at the same time, but why would you choose to?

Bizarre, slightly Trumpian response by the way - you just need to add exclamation marks.

Martin(6)Buchan

I for one stay away or pop in too make the odd comment, just not worth getting wound up by some of the comments which is a shame. To be fair I had more fun in the newbie section when i first joined that's how bad red cafe is getting these days, and I would hate to think what it would be like in here if we were still in the old second division or when Denis law playing for City relegated us.

Bwuk

I want to avoid getting into the consumer vs supporter debate but I do think that has a lot to do with it.

I think a lot of people are beginning to support players rather than the side. Some of the player threads are crazy.

Drifter

American
I want to avoid getting into the consumer vs supporter debate but I do think that has a lot to do with it.

I think a lot of people are beginning to support players rather than the side. Some of the player threads are crazy.
This. Almost like what happens in Asia

Ban

I heard there was a guy in matchday thread who wrote he wants us to lose next few games 5-0 so Jose gets the sack.

Whiteside1985

I for one stay away or pop in too make the odd comment, just not worth getting wound up by some of the comments which is a shame. To be fair I had more fun in the newbie section when i first joined that's how bad red cafe is getting these days, and I would hate to think what it would be like in here if we were still in the old second division or when Denis law playing for City relegated us.
Hate to make assumptions based on your age......
....but having seen United through a few different eras of success and not-so-successful does give perspective.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Some of the comments in the match day thread and the general attitude by people on this forum is staggering.

That match day thread today was an utter disgrace.
The football forums in general on here are trash and have been for quite some time. The match day threads have always been a joke, and letting the plebs in on it was always for a reason.

I mean, I get why the changes were made and the reasons for them, I really do. But it's made this place so toxic over the past few years and there's no point in expecting it to ever go back in the right direction, because quite frankly bitching and whining is more attractive to the kind of people who sign up en mass.

Look at Rawk and AFTV, we laugh at them and mock them, but that's where the money is and the times this place is most busy speaks volumes. People are simple and they love misery and that equals sign ups and traffic.

But I don't blame Niall at all, it is what it is. Hell I'd do the same no doubt. I kind of feel sorry for the guys that helped build this place and were thrown out and those that keep putting their time into it though.

Acole9

Outstanding
The match day thread is always the worst, people watching the match and knee jerking mostly for no reason at all. I rarely comment in the thread because I don't see how you can focus on the match whilst typing stuff on here.

AndyJ1985

The football forums in general on here are trash and have been for quite some time. The match day threads have always been a joke, and letting the plebs in on it was always for a reason.

I mean, I get why the changes were made and the reasons for them, I really do. But it's made this place so toxic over the past few years and there's no point in expecting it to ever go back in the right direction, because quite frankly bitching and whining is more attractive to the kind of people who sign up en mass.

Look at Rawk and AFTV, we laugh at them and mock them, but that's where the money is and the times this place is most busy speaks volumes. People are simple and they love misery and that equals sign ups and traffic.

But I don't blame Niall at all, it is what it is. Hell I'd do the same no doubt. I kind of feel sorry for the guys that helped build this place and were thrown out and those that keep putting their time into it though.
Ironically you're contributing to the bitching and moaning here, and adding personal insults in to the mix. Good job.

Josep Dowling

Someone said it earlier about lots of supporters being 'consumers' rather than 'fans'.

As an example, it's not unusual for someone to say that they 'wasted 2 hours watching this shite football' as if they are their to be entertained by a performer. More often than not, these people are not match going fans and so don't actually do anything to spur the players on. They think because they chose to support United (basically no investment at all) and spend a little money they have a right to demand whatever they want.
‘My support is better than your support’.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

I'm sorry but I had to reply to this, I rarely watch in the stadium, does that me less of a person to have an opinion than someone going to games in a regular basis?

At the end of the day football is a form of entertainment, someone spending 2 hours of their weekend wants something in return, I honestly don't mind the tumescent football if we win, because we win, but playing tumescent football against smaller teams and losing is unforgivable if we're being honest.

I agree with the OP thiuth, the match day thread was shocking (I didn't post) and I'd go as far to say the support for our young player Mctominay is also shocking, people expecting a kid with a handful of games to be the finished artoand comparing him with Herrera.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with regards to youth players on this forum, they want Jose to play youngsters, but only the ones they want to see.

montpelier

If we are taking today as the piece of evidence under scrutiny, which I think we are, then I'm going to say /ask - if you support the team (anything like properly / fairly) why would you want to still push the negative narrative after today's win?

And as for the original matchday forum question - I think there's some very good posts here identifying the reasons folk post there in the way they do - but perhaps understating how little some of 'them' seem to know about football, but they do seem to have plentiful knowledge of their particular agenda, probably gleaned from quality sources like Jamie Redknapp by the feel of some of it. When that agenda is getting spewed out 5 minutes in after a single poor touch from a potential scapegoat, it is rather tiresome.

I mean, even Chris Smalling made a crucial intervention today & I didn't see Phil Jones bollocks anything up at all.

UDontMessWith24

I'm sorry but I had to reply to this, I rarely watch in the stadium, does that me less of a person to have an opinion than someone going to games in a regular basis?

At the end of the day football is a form of entertainment, someone spending 2 hours of their weekend wants something in return, I honestly don't mind the tumescent football if we win, because we win, but playing tumescent football against smaller teams and losing is unforgivable if we're being honest.

I agree with the OP thiuth, the match day thread was shocking (I didn't post) and I'd go as far to say the support for our young player Mctominay is also shocking, people expecting a kid with a handful of games to be the finished artoand comparing him with Herrera.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with regards to youth players on this forum, they want Jose to play youngsters, but only the ones they want to see.
It has nothing to do with whether you go to games or not football football shrinks the globe. It's about an emotional attachment to the club and not the brand. Watching a United game can disappoint you, make you happy, proud, angry and whatever else you want, but imo a true supporter loves the club and doesn't look at the worth of the product like it's a car or a kitchen appliance. I'm not worried about "wasting my time" because I've been a supporter since I drew Lee Sharp's name and number on the back of a red t-shirt. I've criticized players too that's not the issue, but if you cost vs vs quality, whether it's time or money, you're a customer not a fan.

Reactions: Invictus

el3mel

Match day threads need changing. I won't say it being closed , at least keeping all the moaning there during the game is helpful, but a mod should be posting in the tread routinely about everything worth it happening in the match. Some may not be able to watch games and depend on these thread. Will be tiresome going through all this moaning to know the events of the game.

I watched match day threads of first LVG season and liked the edits made after each goal. Maybe we should try it again.

Foxbatt

No, match day threads should be as it is. It gets the stress out of the system during the game.

Borden

I find the moaning about moaning that goes on here every day by all these top reds way more ridiculous and whiny than anything else. If a bit of negativity ruins your day then maybe it's time to get off the internet and find a different hobby.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
As always the top red argument gets rolled out. It’s not that people are critical, everyone knows there’s stuff to work on. It’s just this place is infested by people who come on here purely to moan and have no joy or humour in them whatsoever.

Whiteside1985

It has nothing to do with whether you go to games or not football football shrinks the globe. It's about an emotional attachment to the club and not the brand. Watching a United game can disappoint you, make you happy, proud, angry and whatever else you want, but imo a true supporter loves the club and doesn't look at the worth of the product like it's a car or a kitchen appliance. I'm not worried about "wasting my time" because I've been a supporter since I drew Lee Sharp's name and number on the back of a red t-shirt. I've criticized players too that's not the issue, but if you cost vs vs quality, whether it's time or money, you're a customer not a fan.
Good post. I completely agree with this view.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As always the top red argument gets rolled out. It’s not that people are critical, everyone knows there’s stuff to work on. It’s just this place is infested by people who come on here purely to moan and have no joy or humour in them whatsoever.
Lesser reds will always moan about the top reds moaning about the lesser reds.

It's the circle of shite.

TheReligion

Abusive
This!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I find the moaning about moaning that goes on here every day by all these top reds way more ridiculous and whiny than anything else. If a bit of negativity ruins your day then maybe it's time to get off the internet and find a different hobby.
I've never claimed to be a top red. And perhaps I do moan a bit too much about the moaners. It is just frustrating to log on every day and see the same old vitriol being spouted every day. I very rarely go into the match Day forum anymore but today I thought I would have a look and some of the comments were literally staggering. I don't know why you follow a sport if you're that angry about it all the time. And these are the sorts of people who were moaning 07-11 during our most successful period.

Anyway, today was a good win and a much needed win. Perhaps this thread was badly timed.

Manny

Grammar Police
Was just about to post something similar.

The people moaning about the moaning are the biggest moaners on here. They are usually the most active posters too, so maybe they need to get off the Caf if reading criticism is too much for them.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Was just about to post something similar.

The people moaning about the moaning are the biggest moaners on here. They are usually the most active posters too, so maybe they need to get off the Caf seeing as reading criticism is too much for them.
Having to spend a lot of time on here reading through so many threads, trust me, they aren’t.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I missed the game and didn’t know what the score was before coming on here earlier, and I immediately thought that I must have had my days mixed up because the last comments on the post match and performance threads were all pretty much from half an hour before. Then I thought that it must have been a draw or something and people were feeling a bit meh about everything.

2-1 win against fecking Chelsea and hardly anybody was talking. If we had lost you would have seen eight million new threads bitching about Mourinho and the players.

Borden

I've never claimed to be a top red. And perhaps I do moan a bit too much about the moaners. It is just frustrating to log on every day and see the same old vitriol being spouted every day. I very rarely go into the match Day forum anymore but today I thought I would have a look and some of the comments were literally staggering. I don't know why you follow a sport if you're that angry about it all the time. And these are the sorts of people who were moaning 07-11 during our most successful period.

Anyway, today was a good win and a much needed win. Perhaps this thread was badly timed.
I wasn't referring to you specifically, but there are quite a few posters here who bitch and moan about negativity just as much as anyone else.

Match day threads are what they are, it's filled with knee-jerk hysteria (I've been guilty at times of that myself too, as I would imagine many others here have as well, though I don't post as much in them anymore). Yeah, there are a lot of silly and over the top comments, but it's been like that ever since I started reading this place. Maybe it's gotten worse lately, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me given that I think a lot of people are deeply frustrated by the current state of our club. If reading them ruins your day/mood, it's best just to steer clear I think.

I don't think it's particularly bad on here other than in the match day threads, I think a lot of people just can't handle other people having different opinions to themselves (again not aimed at you). They want and expect everyone to love Mourinho and everything about him just as much as they do, and when someone doesn't they seem to take that almost as a personal insult, and their response is to accuse them of "moaning" and being "negative".

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

No one EVER has said that.

Thank you for replying with exactly the asanine and myopic type of post we were talking about. I forgot to add hyperbolic too.

Your contribution to our data collecting efforts is appreciated. :lol:
Honestly fella take a look at your reply. Basically the exact thing I just mentioned and you tried to make your reply funny but really you just proved my point.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I heard there was a guy in matchday thread who wrote he wants us to lose next few games 5-0 so Jose gets the sack.
That's how I felt about Moyes tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.