The ten fastest footballers in the world?

mikey_d

Rabbi matondo the young player city just sold to Schalke was actually the fastest player at Man City rather than sane, Walker ,sterling and other city players being mentioned.

Rossa

How am I not tagged in this thread? Un-fricken-believable!

Whenever a list like this appears, people start discussing Usain Bolt or how straight line speed doesn't matter. Both are neither here nor there. Of course straight line speed matters. When United were king at counter attacks, top speed was actually quite important. Ronaldo's run against Diaby vs Arsenal where he ran 70 metres or so, simply destroying Diaby for top speed, caused that goal. Eden Hazard, Messi etc would never have the top speed to score that goal. Hector Bellerin's ridiculous 60 yard sprint to prevent a goal also showed the importance of top speed. When the game opens up, top speed surely matters. In football, you mostly talk about short sprints, which the majority of sprints are. However, as games open up and there is more space to run into, top speed is important.

What I do find weird about these lists is that they are always comprised of attackers. After FIFA19 was released, Kyle Walked argued strongly that he was faster than Sane in a 100m race, and I think I would agree. You also often see fast forwards/wingers beaten in foot races by centre backs. Koulibaly beat Salah a couple of times on runs; Bailly beating Aubameyang, Varane beating Aubameyang, Smalling beating Aubameyang and Willian and so forth.

Rossa

Ronaldo was never spectacularly fast. He was fast of course as you'd expect from a lean, not overly bulky 6 foot guy with below 8 %-ish body fat who trains his legs regularly as a pro footballer, but never in the top 10 fastest players or Ousmane Dembélé levels fast for example. Pique was more or less keeping up with him in his prime.

His marketing team is off the charts though. They took a completely average, white, Spanish 100 meter sprinter who usually clocks around 10.5-ish seconds on 100 meters, gave him a pair of zero grip tennis trainers, let him run against Ronaldo and marketed "only 0.3 seconds slower than a pro sprinter" on 25 meters as some sort of unbelievable achievement, even though 0.3 seconds on just 25 meters translates to at least 1.2 seconds over 100 meters. "At least", because Ronaldo won't actually gain speed over a pro sprinter over a longer distance, he will be even slower. So 10.5 + 1.2 = 11.7 s. That would be Ronaldo's 100 meter ball park, there or thereabouts. Maybe worse, given that the sprinter didn't win by 0.3 seconds at optimal conditions either.
You actually managed to be strangely racist in that post. If you watched the video, they argued that Ronaldo would beat him if he perfected his running technique, but as Ronaldo said, he was a footballer, not a sprinter, so agility was more important than flat out top speed. Ronaldo often beat Pique for speed, and faster players like Alba and Alves, but one bad step or a mistimed run and you lose.

Ronaldo was one of the fastest top players around, but I doubt he was ever the fastest. Ferguson never mentioned Ronaldo when he talked about the fastest players he had at United; Gary Pallister (!), Rio, Kanchelskis and Giggs were mentioned.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He’s stupidly quick.
:lol: That's ridiculously quick. I was watching the player in black to make some sprint, then out of nowhere like Roadrunner Traore won the ball.

Red Stone

What I do find weird about these lists is that they are always comprised of attackers. After FIFA19 was released, Kyle Walked argued strongly that he was faster than Sane in a 100m race, and I think I would agree. You also often see fast forwards/wingers beaten in foot races by centre backs. Koulibaly beat Salah a couple of times on runs; Bailly beating Aubameyang, Varane beating Aubameyang, Smalling beating Aubameyang and Willian and so forth.
I think it's because centre backs in particular are seen as untalented shithouses due to their limited skills on the ball and lack of flair compared to more attack-minded players. Someone like Ronaldo just has the look of a guy who is lightning quick without even seeing him run, especially compared to a guy like Ivanovic, but I'm not sure Ronaldo actually had a higher top speed in his prime. In reality defenders are tall and physically trained guys. I'd bet the best 100m time in most top football teams would be set by a CB.

Also, since defenders run less in general and with the ball especially, we don't really pay attention to their running that often. And for some reason every CB has a significant, yet seemingly arbitrary number hacked off of their pace stat in FIFA compared to players in other positions. I'm sure that influences people as well, and kids in particular.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Joe Gomez is ridiculously fast, should be up there. Made up about 15 yards on Willian in the Chelsea Match. VVD also Matched Adama Traore for pace at Wolves before Christmas; without breaking a sweat. "When I saw the defender match Wolves' lightning-quick Adama Traore for pace, my jaw dropped." Garth Crooks

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You actually managed to be strangely racist in that post. If you watched the video, they argued that Ronaldo would beat him if he perfected his running technique, but as Ronaldo said, he was a footballer, not a sprinter, so agility was more important than flat out top speed. Ronaldo often beat Pique for speed, and faster players like Alba and Alves, but one bad step or a mistimed run and you lose.

Ronaldo was one of the fastest top players around, but I doubt he was ever the fastest. Ferguson never mentioned Ronaldo when he talked about the fastest players he had at United; Gary Pallister (!), Rio, Kanchelskis and Giggs were mentioned.
How is that racist?

Andersons Dietician

@Fortitude does seem a weird table when Sane, Van anholt, Vardy and Martial have the fastest recorded speeds in the premiership and Sane is 10th on this list?

They could be using an Auba or Traore stat from some other league I guess.

settembrini

Bale gets outpaced all the time nowadays. He couldn't even outrun Lovren in the CL final last season.

sam147

Bursts of acceleration is more deadly than a sprinter. Players like Sancho are not lightening quick but use acceleration. Greenwood does it as well. Mbappe is definitely one of the fastest but he is one of the few that uses his pace effectively. Rashfords best attribute is his pace not his technical ability and he doesnt use it as much as Mbappe. Ousmane Dembele is another one who is lightening quick but has tons of technical ability. Hard to find that combination.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They took an average, WHITE, sprinter... why bother saying he is white? That would be just as racist as saying you took an average intelligent, black, person to compare someone's IQ. Why mention colour at all if not for some prejudice regarding colour.
Now come on, stop seeing rqcism everywhere. It is simply the truth that some ethnicities are more likely to have certain physiques and this also includes that Black people typically are better sprinters than white people - there's statistic evidence for that and the topic has been scientifically researched. If I took a Norwegian of average height and compared him to the Spanish population, then argued that he is actually very huge and someone pointed out that this is no reasonable comparison, is that racism, too?

MrEleson

Ronaldo was never spectacularly fast. He was fast of course as you'd expect from a lean, not overly bulky 6 foot guy with below 8 %-ish body fat who trains his legs regularly as a pro footballer, but never in the top 10 fastest players or Ousmane Dembélé levels fast for example. Pique was more or less keeping up with him in his prime.

His marketing team is off the charts though. They took a completely average, white, Spanish 100 meter sprinter who usually clocks around 10.5-ish seconds on 100 meters, gave him a pair of zero grip tennis trainers, let him run against Ronaldo and marketed "only 0.3 seconds slower than a pro sprinter" on 25 meters as some sort of unbelievable achievement, even though 0.3 seconds on just 25 meters translates to at least 1.2 seconds over 100 meters. "At least", because Ronaldo won't actually gain speed over a pro sprinter over a longer distance, he will be even slower. So 10.5 + 1.2 = 11.7 s. That would be Ronaldo's 100 meter ball park, there or thereabouts. Maybe worse, given that the sprinter didn't win by 0.3 seconds at optimal conditions either.
Ronaldo was crazy fast at his physical peak

meninred

The source of info should be posted otherwise anyone can put players like matic.I thought it would include raheem sterling though.

Rossa

Now come on, stop seeing rqcism everywhere. It is simply the truth that some ethnicities are more likely to have certain physiques and this also includes that Black people typically are better sprinters than white people - there's statistic evidence for that and the topic has been scientifically researched. If I took a Norwegian of average height and compared him to the Spanish population, then argued that he is actually very huge and someone pointed out that this is no reasonable comparison, is that racism, too?
Not seeing racism anywhere, and it would have sufficed to say average sprinter, which would also be false. Blacks are typically better sprinters, no doubt. That being said, it was still one of Spain's fastest men and competing in the Olympics, so hardly a slouch. There is no point in pointing out his colour. He was still rapid by any yardstick, and I doubt any footballer in the world would be able to beat him in a footrace. BTW, the Spanish sprinter's best time is actually 10,23 - not that many, black or white, can boast a better time than that!

As for the Norwegian and Spanish comparison, well, Norwegians are 1,79m tall on average. Spanish males are 1,78. https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Spaniards-so-tall - So you Germans are actually taller than us Norwegians, slightly surprising perhaps. I blame the guys far north (they are smaller actually).

Rossa

Joe Gomez is ridiculously fast, should be up there. Made up about 15 yards on Willian in the Chelsea Match. VVD also Matched Adama Traore for pace at Wolves before Christmas; without breaking a sweat. "When I saw the defender match Wolves' lightning-quick Adama Traore for pace, my jaw dropped." Garth Crooks
You mean where Adama Traore had to run around VVD? Lindelöf would have beat Traore in that foot race. But I agree that VVD is fast, but not Varane or Bailly fast. Gomez is also fast, and quicker off the mark than VVD, but again not Varane or Bailly fast, as we're talking centre backs. Overall though, Liverpool probably has one of the quickest squads around.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They took an average, WHITE, sprinter... why bother saying he is white? That would be just as racist as saying you took an average intelligent, black, person to compare someone's IQ. Why mention colour at all if not for some prejudice regarding colour.
I think it’s a comment that wants to be offended, I mean is he white Irish, white Indian or what? It’s not a racist comment there was no hate or anything. There are more colours than black or white.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude does seem a weird table when Sane, Van anholt, Vardy and Martial have the fastest recorded speeds in the premiership and Sane is 10th on this list?

They could be using an Auba or Traore stat from some other league I guess.
Sorry, just checked my alerts and saw this. The players you listed are the next bracket down. I don't know how these things are even measured, to be honest with you, nor when, if it's a set process.

You'd think it's pre-season recorded times, but who knows? Could possibly be in game clocking, also. Like I said, I had no idea at all about Traore, but then seeing him in flight, he's astonishingly fast - looks more like a sprinter than a footballer, in stride, even.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
People - especially the ones that create stats for Players on FIFA or Manager games - always seem to confuse quickness with speed and then act surprised and shocked when supposedly lame, big defenders are measured to have among the highest top speed in any given league. Think about it: How many world class 100m sprinters are shorter than, say, 1,75? According to how FIFA-stats work, they should all be around 1,65, given how they rate Messi et al., and yet...

Short players usually have a massive advantage in terms of acceleration, they can take more steps in less time. Messi is probably the "quickest" guy out there, the quickest I've seen at least, his first 5 steps make everyone else seem to move in slow Motion. However, he is not that "fast". Athletic, taller defenders would blitz him in a 100m race, he simple doesn't have the stride length to reach amazing top speeds.

I guess Fifa and other games give out Speeds stats without even consulting any measured times. They just go by their guts and by the Overall Rating the players has to achieve. "He should be a 91, but he's an 89 right now." "Yeah, feck it, bump up his speed and acceleration."

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Traore is the fastest player I've ever seen by some distance. And powerful with it too.

When we signed him, all the Boro fans were sad to see him go and all the Villa fans were saying he's a waste of money that will never have a footballing brain.

Great as an impact sub at the moment, as proven by his last second assist in the Newcastle game, albeit one of the worst assists this season.

But he's slowly getting better with coaching and has only just gone 23, so it will be interesting to see how his career progresses in the next few years.

For me, he's one bad hamstring injury away from losing his best asset, so needs to get his footballing side better ASAP!

Andersons Dietician

Sorry, just checked my alerts and saw this. The players you listed are the next bracket down. I don't know how these things are even measured, to be honest with you, nor when, if it's a set process.

You'd think it's pre-season recorded times, but who knows? Could possibly be in game clocking, also. Like I said, I had no idea at all about Traore, but then seeing him in flight, he's astonishingly fast - looks more like a sprinter than a footballer, in stride, even.
Weirdly after this thread fastest footballer 2018/19 videos started popping up all over my YouTube feed and some were similar to your list you provided and others pointed to Bellerin as being the fastest but then I realised top speed might not be what they are using and instead distance covered as the Bellerin one was something about how quickly he did 40m and he very well might cover 40m quicker than Sane can.

There were other videos where they were listing the top speed and none of them were as fast as the records set by Sane, Van an Holt, Vardy or Martial. Those records are from Opta which are recorded in game.

What we really need is for some charity to set up a 100m sprint with Sane, Mbappe, Rashford, Traore and whoever else is fast and let them go at it. I’d happily pay to watch that. My money is on Mbappe.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's been a while since we've seen Aubameyang running at full sprint.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Which there was a way to measure how fast players are from a dead stop over 10 yards with the ball. Sterling has to be up there.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Mbappe doesn't even have proper running technique and he's still faster than anyone in a league that is filled with very fast players.

I've never seen a faster player on the same pitch as him

Jib

Dembele and Kingsley Coman are the fastest french footballers right now. So if Mbappe is in the top 10, they should be there too.