Television The Terminal List (Amazon Prime)

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Anyone watching this? Watched episode 1 tonight and found it surprisingly decent. I've never really been able to take Chris Pratt seriously given he's always in comedic roles and at the beginning I thought the portrayal of the SEAL team he was in to be very Hollywood and stereotype macho dialogue but once they got away from that I was pleasantly surprised by the tension and the amount they've leaned into addressing PTSD rather than paying it lip service.

I think the plot is overall going to be very cliche and not too dissimilar from what we've seen in things like The Fugitive, 24, Homeland etc but still looks like it has promise.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Watched the first 3 episodes tonight. ITs not too bad. A little slow here and there, but Im enjoying it over all. It is weird seeing Pratt playing the role straight. I keep expecting a witty one liner to come out of his mouth to elevate the tension, but it never comes. Which is quite refreshing. Theres one thing that I feel isn't really working for me, but I won't spoil that for anyone. But the way he acts around a certain topic feels off. Like he should be more affected by it than he seems to be.

And youre right about the 24/homeland vibes. But I can't say thats a bad thing. Ill watch the rest tomorrow. Hopefully it continues to be a decent watch.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I'm going to start watching it, just one thing though, some critics are saying that the camera shots are very dark making it difficult to view. Did you guys find that a hindrance?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Finished it, the first 2 episodes would have you thinking it’s going 1 way which would of been very cliche, only real bad thing is you can see what’s going to happen after a few episodes even the twists.

Vapor trail

Very good one of the best action shows I've come across in recent years

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They seem to have done their research on specifics of SEAL teams. Through the first episode & they’ve gotten the little things right.

Entertaining series overall, I hope they do a second season. Its a bit over the top in parts, well one episode in particular, and it follows Hollywood's penchant for portraying the average Navy SEAL as some kind of Terminator. But it was pretty good if you like this genre.

)_(

The only thing I know about this is that it has Chris Pratt and the lowest ratings of a show on Amazon.

Norman Brownbutter

The only thing I know about this is that it has Chris Pratt and the lowest ratings of a show on Amazon.
What I find odd is that on RT the critics hate it, but the audience loves it. 34% vs 92% last I checked. Everywhere I look, the audience seems to love it. 8.2 on Imdb for example.

The websites though are a different story. The Daily beast calls it "An unhinged right wing revenge fantasy". The guardian said it was "dated and drably made". TVline "Its terminally bad".

I don't know how, but theres a massive disconnect between the audience the critics on this one. You can usually point to "access" being the reason critics give bad stuff a good review, but its weird to see so many bad reviews for something that seems to be widely very well received. Its not going to be for everyone, what is? But its good enough. A solid 7 of 10 if ever there was one.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m only half way through but really enjoying it so far. Seems like Man on Fire with extra PTSD thrown in. Nailing intestines to a rafter was a nice touch. I can see why it’s not a critical darling, but it’s one of those where you don’t really care.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’m only half way through but really enjoying it so far. Seems like Man on Fire with extra PTSD thrown in. Nailing intestines to a rafter was a nice touch. I can see why it’s not a critical darling, but it’s one of those where you don’t really care.
Easy with the spoilers, even the little stuff.

lsd

The Oracle
Looked like a show for the worst kind of right wingers sitting with a beer in one hand and a rifle in another while chanting USA.

Starring Chris Pratt well obviously. I think ill pass

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Looked like a show for the worst kind of right wingers sitting with a beer in one hand and a rifle in another while chanting USA.

It’s not too ‘Murica’ as of yet, but I’m only three episodes in.

Vapor trail

I didn't know Chris was the cheesy actor from Guardians but his personification in this show really displays some dynamism to his craft. I feel he's outdone himself in this role.

sport2793

I wouldn't say it's pro-American anti-world, especially once you have seen the entire season, in fact I would argue it's the opposite and dystopian in a lot of ways. My issue with the show is more the just ridiculous excessive violence that makes you have to suspend disbelief to a significant degree in what otherwise seems like a realistic story.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I caught a sliver of this while my housemates were watching. Seemed an inordinate amount of swearing. Pratt getting all the curses out of his system that he's kept inside since parks and rec.

Potty mouth.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just finished this and really enjoyed it after coming in not knowing what to expect.

The only minor criticism I'd give it is that
final twist was just too obvious and in all honesty a little unnecessary. Would've been nice if just for once the protagonist wasn't getting fecked over by his closest friend but meh, they can't help themselves can they.

Really good watch anyway with perhaps slightly too many flashbacks. Some of the revenge kills were brutal and episodes 4,5 and 6 in particular were bangers.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I enjoyed it, the ending twist felt like it was shoehorned, but otherwise it was a good watch.

arthurka

Didn't think I would like this but it is pretty good to be fair. Has there ever been a show with such a difference in review by critics and then by the public who all seem to give good marks more or less. A 8/10 for me.

lsd

The Oracle
Imdb users love Trump? :nervous:

I'm sure a lot do the point is most political observers disliked him while the ordinary voter loved him thinking he was speaking for them.

I use it for this as there are similarities in it appeals to a certain denominator.

Critics will point out it's right wing fantasy nonsense but that only makes its fans love it more.

In short it's everything Chris Pratt stands for

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm sure a lot do the point is most political observers disliked him while the ordinary voter loved him thinking he was speaking for them.

I use it for this as there are similarities in it appeals to a certain denominator.

Critics will point out it's right wing fantasy nonsense but that only makes its fans love it more.

I knew Pratt was a thumper, is he a Trumper too?

lsd

The Oracle
I knew Pratt was a thumper, is he a Trumper too?

Don't know if he supports Trump but he is definitely right wing hopefully not the same extent as his brother who appears to be a far right loon

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
One of the better 6/10. Really watchable, yet nothing special.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Is Chris Pratt a Trumpster?! He seemed like such a nice dude in P&R.

stevoc

Don't know if he supports Trump but he is definitely right wing hopefully not the same extent as his brother who appears to be a far right loon
Is he? What makes you say that?

Norman Brownbutter

"I don't feel represented by either side," he told Men's Fitness magazine in 2017. "I really feel there's common ground out there that's missed because we focus on the things that separate us."

Elliot Page said his church was anti LGBT. Pratt then said:

"It has recently been suggested that I belong to a church which 'hates a certain group of people' and is 'infamously anti-LGBTQ.' Nothing could be further from the truth.

"I go to a church that opens their doors to absolutely everyone."

He wore a "don't tread on me" t shirt and that also made him a republican in the eyes of a furious twitter mob who seem determined to paint him as some kind of villain. He didnt support Biden like other Marvel actors did. But he also didnt support Trump. He DID however support Obama in 2012. His wife did come out in favour of Biden, taking a shot at trump in how he handled the pandemic.

While other celebrities were telling people to go out and vote during the trump/biden face off, he was on twitter telling people to vote too...for his movie that was out at the time, "onward" for a peoples choice award. Went down like you would expect.

Pratt hasn't said one way or the other which party he's with, but the mob has decided he's a cnut because he doesn't suck the cock of the populist thinking.

In June of this year he said:

“There’s an illusion of that we’ve gotten more partisan, but the truth, if you’re looking at it from my understanding, is there’s a very small group of wackos on the right and a very small group of wackos on the left,”

“Each of them are sort of echoed through mainstream media — whether it be Fox or whether it be CNN — and a lot of times there’s political posturing, to try to get onto Fox, or try to get onto MSNBC or CNN,”

"there’s a big group in the middle politically that instead of moving right or left, is kind of moving up and down and becoming disenfranchised and disengaged from the political process.”

"Nonpartisans feel like no one’s really representing them.”

IMO, I can't say I disagree with any of that. Left, right, doesn't matter. Theres a group looking to be outraged at something, and a news media outlet ready and waiting to repeat it to garner outrage and cash in on it.

stevoc

Who he follows on twitter, the church he goes to, the clothes he wears, his family, lifestyle.
If the views of the church we go to or the views of family members make someone right wing then 90% of us would be judged right wing.

Was he wearing a MAGA hat or something?

Maybe he is I don't know.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reading a bit more into why Chris Pratt is a villain, it seems circumstantial more than anything. And since when is supporting Joe Biden a virtue. Biden is a racist right wing cnut too by my standards. Democrat or no.

One very egregious part of the hatred against him is the fact he happily posted he had a gorgeous healthy baby daughter which apparantly meant he was taking a dig at his ex wife and their premature disabled child. That's fecking horrible, it's HIS child, the fecking nerve of Twitter to basesly suggest he's taking a dig at her is disgusting.

On topic: this show, after some reading about it, seems utter garbage.