The Title Race 2013/14

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
So, now that the latest Champions 2013/14have succumbed to an unexpected defeat, who will the media declare the next to wear the crown? Worse still, what team will some United fans cling to and compare our players/manager to and wish we were more like them?

Anyone who think we're out of this title race, or worse still, thinks that we'll do well to finish in the Top 4, is officially off their rocker.

Come the business end of the season, we'll be still there knocking on that door. Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
My opinion hasn't really changed since the start of the season. I think Chelsea will win the league and I think we'll finish in the top 3.

A defeat away at St James Park doesn't change that.

Cina

My opinion hasn't really changed since the start of the season. I think Chelsea will win the league and I think we'll finish in the top 3.

Similar, although I still think City will. Their squad is just too good and I think it's only a matter of time before a coach as good as Pellegrini gets them properly clicking. Aguero is amazing and he'll be the difference.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Everybody's so flawed that even fecking Liverpool could win it.

Shit league.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It isn't just an away defeat to Newcastle Carl, Chelsea have been thoroughly average this whole season. It's been a poor showing from all three of the main title challengers, but you keep banging on about how shit City and United have been whilst completely ignoring Chelsea' s deficiencies which have bee pretty similar

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
if we can somehow stay around 6 points off the leaders come January we can then buy a midfielder or two and give ourselves a decent chance. We'll just have to grind out results until then. I think Arsenal will win it.

Buchan

It doesn't definitely rule Chelsea out of the title race but it proves one vital thing: that they are fallible and as vulnerable as anyone else. City showed their fragile side in the dying minutes last weekend, Chelsea have shown theirs today.

We have had a gruelling opening ten fixtures when we've faced Liverpool and City away, and Chelsea at home. We face Arsenal and Spurs soon. Once we hit Christmas and look back on the tough fixtures we've gotten out of the way, and we're still within touching distance of the top, the rest will look ominously over their shoulders.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Arsenal got such a massive boost by the Ozil signing. If their main players can stay fit I would put them as favourites. They are the most consistent side so (in all of 2013) and a win over Liverpool really would put them in a great position so far. We have been crap and I don't see us challenging. City are poor away from home and Chelsea are yet to get going.

Glanville95

So, after all the doom and gloom; as long as we win today we will put ourselves in a far healthier position, no matter what happens.

At least two of Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs will drop points and Chelsea already have. After being written off this season, we could be just three points behind Chelsea and six from the top.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
So, after all the doom and gloom; as long as we win today we will put ourselves in a far healthier position, no matter what happens.

At least two of Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs will drop points and Chelsea already have. After being written off this season, we could be just three points behind Chelsea and six from the top.

Another one of these posts!

Considering how bad we have been this season, I would be pleasantly surprised if we managed to win.

Buchan

Posted this in another thread last Sunday night. I believe it more than ever now:

Arsenal's campaign really starts now; Chelsea are a world-class striker, a centre-back and solid goalkeeper away from the title, Liverpool's squad is far too thin to maintain their form over the next seven months, and Spurs will find it difficult to challenge both in Europe and domestically, which can be seen already by their results/performances post-European games.

We have pretty much the same squad who waltzed the league last year. Once we start firing at all, we'll eat into that points difference between us and the top. I still think the league title will end up in Manchester. Quite difficult to say for certain whether it'll be Red or Blue just now, though.

RORY65

It doesn't definitely rule Chelsea out of the title race but it proves one vital thing: that they are fallible and as vulnerable as anyone else. City showed their fragile side in the dying minutes last weekend, Chelsea have shown theirs today.

We have had a gruelling opening ten fixtures when we've faced Liverpool and City away, and Chelsea at home. We face Arsenal and Spurs soon. Once we hit Christmas and look back on the tough fixtures we've gotten out of the way, and we're still within touching distance of the top, the rest will look ominously over their shoulders.

I tend to agree with Cina that City have the strongest squad and Pellegrini is smart enough to get them going at some stage. It must be pointed out that they've shown signs in some games of being able to hit heights that no other team can hit but they just haven't done so consistently yet while Chelsea's start (including away to us, Spurs and Everton and home to City) has been every bit as difficult as ours but they've got slightly better results and have been a bit more impressive.

I'd still be happy with a top 4 finish given that the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool are strong and we've performed poorly (have some just forgotten how rotten we were for 70 minutes last Saturday?) but there's no reason we can't challenge for the Championship if it starts to click with David Moyes.

Glanville95

Another one of these posts!

Considering how bad we have been this season, I would be pleasantly surprised if we managed to win.
Believe me, I am not confident in the slightest against anyone these days and especially compounded by Carrick's injury. Still, it's a nice thought and hopefully we can capitalise on the other sides dropping points.

Comsmit

So, now that the latest Champions 2013/14have succumbed to an unexpected defeat, who will the media declare the next to wear the crown? Worse still, what team will some United fans cling to and compare our players/manager to and wish we were more like them?

Anyone who think we're out of this title race, or worse still, thinks that we'll do well to finish in the Top 4, is officially off their rocker.

Come the business end of the season, we'll be still there knocking on that door. Of that I have absolutely no doubt.
Yawn. Why do you feel the need to keep repeating yourself? We get it already.

Hopefully you are right but prepare to be pilloried if you're not.

Buchan

Yawn. Why do you feel the need to keep repeating yourself? We get it already.

Hopefully you are right but prepare to be pilloried if you're not.

Repeating myself? There is an abundant amount of discussion along these lines in match threads for the past number of weeks where both sides of the argument made their opinions known. We hadn't a title race thread so I made one.

The bolded bit made me laugh. I suspect the likes of yourself would prefer for us to finish sixth just so you'd have an opportunity to "pillor" somebody.

Sad.

Comsmit

Repeating myself? There is an abundant amount of discussion along these lines in match threads for the past number of weeks where both sides of the argument made their opinions known. We hadn't a title race thread so I made one.

The bolded bit made me laugh. I suspect the likes of yourself would prefer for us to finish sixth just so you'd have an opportunity to "pillor" somebody.

Sad.
I've already seen you say pretty much the same thing in another thread, in pretty much the exact same tone. We get it...you don't need to keep peddling it. Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them. Someone who doubts this United side can finish in the top four is not off their rocker, its a possibility. Some of the reactionary bollocks has been embarrassing but its just that, reactionary to a situation United have not experienced for a long long time. Personally I don't hold that view, I think we will finish 3rd or 4th, but if we lose a couple more games in the next few weeks (a possibility) then we need a storming second half of the season to even come close to the title.

You suspect wrong man, I would take no pleasure in doing that. I don't doubt there are people on here who would enjoy that scenario though. If we finished 6th I do feel Moyes and the players would deserve to be pilloried in a pretty harsh way. Wouldn't you agree?

Comsmit

Redcafe logic: beating Fulham = Title Charge
Exactly. Its a game we should be waltzing through, just as Stoke was last weekend. We have had a bloody simple run recently (West Brom, Sunderland, Southampton, Stoke, Fulham) and only managed to scrape 2 wins with hopefully another today. We have 3 tough games coming up and realistically we cannot afford to lose any of them.

I will start to be convinced when we have successfully negotiated Arsenal, Cardiff and Spurs.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Exactly. Its a game we should be waltzing through, just as Stoke was last weekend. We have had a bloody simple run recently (West Brom, Sunderland, Southampton, Stoke, Fulham) and only managed to scrape 2 wins with hopefully another today. We have 3 tough games coming up and realistically we cannot afford to lose any of them.

I will start to be convinced when we have successfully negotiated Arsenal, Cardiff and Spurs.
Please show me a team that's waltzing through their fixtures at the minute. Probably only Arsenal and Liverpool. Ourselves, City and Chelsea have all had our struggles but fact is we've just won 4 on the bounce and 3 of our last 4 league games.

hp88

City will probably be the media favorites this week.

Decotron

I've already seen you say pretty much the same thing in another thread, in pretty much the exact same tone. We get it...you don't need to keep peddling it. Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them. Someone who doubts this United side can finish in the top four is not off their rocker, its a possibility. Some of the reactionary bollocks has been embarrassing but its just that, reactionary to a situation United have not experienced for a long long time. Personally I don't hold that view, I think we will finish 3rd or 4th, but if we lose a couple more games in the next few weeks (a possibility) then we need a storming second half of the season to even come close to the title.

You suspect wrong man, I would take no pleasure in doing that. I don't doubt there are people on here who would enjoy that scenario though. If we finished 6th I do feel Moyes and the players would deserve to be pilloried in a pretty harsh way. Wouldn't you agree?
Yeah the state of him supporting the club and feeling positive about our chances. What a mess he is.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I can see us taking a charge to the top and faltering at some point. It's going to be up and down for everyone.

Someone

Something
I've made a prediction before based on the quality of the squads but the way the season is going it's really unpredictable.

Usually you'd have a team with a feel of invincibility around them, a team that starts flying demolishing teams left and right, right now all the top teams seem vulnerable, so it'd be really stupid to write us off so early, experience will be crucial come may.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
How many points do we need to get out of eigth and into the top 4? We've been there for ages..

Ole'sbodyguard

Redcafe logic: beating Fulham = Title Charge

No one is saying that, are they? Some have never written us off in the first place. Important thing for me is how far we are behind Chelsea and City and we are 3 and 2 points off both and after the start we have had that is a good position. Arsenal game is massive next week. If we are going to challenge for the league we have to be getting results in those type of games. I doubt we will win the league but I think United are much better than we have shown this season and we are slowly starting to build some momemtum.