The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

They’re good, but not as good as people are saying. Their defence is quite poor still.
Are you talking about Watford?

Cold facts say that their defence is among the best defences in England and Europe - they have conceded as many goals as United but far less shots and chances.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I think the most interesting part of this season will be how the battle between 2nd-6th unfolds now as there isn't really much between the teams.

Eire Red United

Joint least goals against, together with United. And there's whole threads here praising the defensive strength of United. So how poor can City's defense be said to be, really?
I think the system Pep plays means they don’t concede many chances as the opposition don’t get much of the ball, but definitely their back 4 man for man is weak defensively. I think if a team really went at them they can be got at.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I think the system Pep plays means they don’t concede many chances as the opposition don’t get much of the ball, but definitely their back 4 man for man is weak defensively. I think if a team really went at them they can be got at.
The flip side of that is City make chances and beat teams that pack 10 behind the ball as they have done in there last 3 games. So to get at the back 4 you need support and options which in turn leaves you open. When united chased the game in the last 10/15 twice Bernardo Silva got in and should have finished the game.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Well, but you cannot just arbitrarily decide what does a defence consist of. This season, City's way of defending is proving to be as successful as United's, and maybe it's even better when you take into account the coherent stuff, such as transitions, or the defenders' role in the attacking play.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Agree if you do that we will concede, but Napoli did it twice and we scored more.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
With Morata leaving early due to injury and United missing Pogba. Couldn't get more lucky.
Would it be lucky if United turned City over at the Etihad because De Bruyne was out? You’ve still got to go and do a job against a good side that haven’t been beaten in FORTY games at home. Some luck.

SuperiorXI

It would take some crazy capitulation to lose it now.

Question: If United were in this position, would you not have a sense of worry they would throw it away? I remember the 8 point gap we opened up on City in that season, I never felt confident we'd see it out.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's annoying is that City has won all their games against the top 6 including Chelsea/United away so even if City drops points, so will the top 6 against eachother. Only United is a threat to them now.

Dr. StrangeHate

Are you talking about Watford?

Cold facts say that their defence is among the best defences in England and Europe - they have conceded as many goals as United but far less shots and chances.
I think whenever people say City have a poor defense they mean it in a traditional way. Like if they were bombarded with crosses and were under siege (in any way) they won't fare well.
But Pep's method of defense is not traditional. They keep the ball, apply high pressure to win it back, do professional fouls in the opposite half, and at any contact or lack there off they go to ground. Pep's tactical setup mean they are rarely in their own half and in that sense their defense is much better than us as they concede very few chances.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
With Morata leaving early due to injury and United missing Pogba. Couldn't get more lucky.
City used to be over reliant on aguero not being injured. Now the lack of 1player in defence/midfield/attack is filled with others who work as a team. As pointed out by many, albeit incorrectly at the start of the season, City’s potential issues come from the defence, the lack of Mendy was overcome by a rejuvenated Delph, but the additional loss of Stones ( cf with Stones, to without - as mentioned many times here for the past 4-5 City games), and the continuing yo-yo form/ injuries to Kompany... is telling.
But that’s a loss of 3 players in one general position. Not just one player.

To say that missing one player causes the whole team to collapse, shows a lack of depth and quality, or even thoughts about plan B, C or D.

As for missing players at crucial times, I’m sure ‘the Harry Kane’ team were a bit upset and unlucky to play united missing their namesake. Likewise the same team against city minus aguero and his unlucky taxi ride.

Luck comes into it, but to stretch that over...what... 16 games now... that’s a bit naive.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nothing's over until it's at least januari.

Ofcourse City are now the clear favorites, but they're not going to win all remaining games. Let's hope they have an implosion and get a string of bad results, resulting in Pep melting down. wierder stuff has happened, hell, Pep might hire Peter Bosz as an assistant.

Kola_Nut

Would it be lucky if United turned City over at the Etihad because De Bruyne was out? You’ve still got to go and do a job against a good side that haven’t been beaten in FORTY games at home. Some luck.
Of course it's lucky. Are you actually trying to say City have somehow engineered these incidents of playing teams without there best players. Luck is a random event that you have had no part in yet has been of benefit to you. As pointed out, this has become the norm all season for you to date. It's incredibly annoying the amount of City fans on here who refuse to aknowledge it.

tomaldinho1

They will drop points but the teams I think could challenge them Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd have all been so inconsistent this year. Unless there's a serious upturn in form from a few teams (and the stars align with them all taking points off City) the race is done.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Could of been as lucky as a United side that faced a back 4 of Walker, Fernandinho, Otamendi and Delph 2nd half yesterday.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Of course it's lucky. Are you actually trying to say City have somehow engineered these incidents of playing teams without there best players. Luck is a random event that you have had no part in yet has been of benefit to you. As pointed out, this has become the norm all season for you to date. It's incredibly annoying the amount of City fans on here who refuse to aknowledge it.
It was lucky for United that we played without our first choice CB and LB in Stones and Mendy because they are both injured. That personnel change led to your only goal. Also very lucky that another CB then went off injured. It’s easy to spin this stuff out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was lucky for United that we played without our first choice CB and LB in Stones and Mendy because they are both injured. That personnel change led to your only goal. Also very lucky that another CB then went off injured. It’s easy to spin this stuff out.
If we're counting the not absolutely vital players then our best CB Bailey and second best CB (this year) Jones were out. Not to mention Fellaini who has been our backup CM.

Basically you had noone out who is anywhere near as relevant as Pogba.

I actually dont like people using the Pogba excuse to justify our rubbish performance. We should play better without him. But he is our talisman out, which wasn't the case with City.

Treble

I think whenever people say City have a poor defense they mean it in a traditional way. Like if they were bombarded with crosses and were under siege (in any way) they won't fare well.
But Pep's method of defense is not traditional. They keep the ball, apply high pressure to win it back, do professional fouls in the opposite half, and at any contact or lack there off they go to ground. Pep's tactical setup mean they are rarely in their own half and in that sense their defense is much better than us as they concede very few chances.
Spot on.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
City look like they have it all wrapped up, 12 point margin and playing well.

Give it till the end of March when you are playing every three days with games competing on four fronts and then the cards and injuries start to happen.

padr81

Supports
Man City
City look like they have it all wrapped up, 12 point margin and playing well.

Give it till the end of March when you are playing every three days with games competing on four fronts and then the cards and injuries start to happen.
Actually everyone in england is in the middle of 11 games in 5 weeks. This is the most hectic period of the season. Well till mid January. Chances are games could be less in march unless either club goes deep in the cl and fa cup.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Actually everyone in england is in the middle of 11 games in 5 weeks. This is the most hectic period of the season. Well till mid January. Chances are games could be less in march unless either club goes deep in the cl and fa cup.
Agree and of course the bigger clubs are normally expected to go deep in the CL and FA cup.

DRM

Not sure why this thread is still open. Any chances we had are completely gone after yesterday's result. We should focus on not messing up 2nd place as Liverpool are only 5pts behind. Can this thread be renamed to the top 4 race please?

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
The flip side of that is City make chances and beat teams that pack 10 behind the ball as they have done in there last 3 games. So to get at the back 4 you need support and options which in turn leaves you open. When united chased the game in the last 10/15 twice Bernardo Silva got in and should have finished the game.
True. Remember we didn't have Sane, Aguero or Jesus on the pitch at that point. Had the chances Bernardo Silva had towards the end fallen to any if the above, it would have been 3 or 4 - 1.

minoo-utd

Not sure why this thread is still open. Any chances we had are completely gone after yesterday's result. We should focus on not messing up 2nd place as Liverpool are only 5pts behind. Can this thread be renamed to the top 4 race please?
Wrong. It's negativity not reality. We have 22 games left they will drop points we need to bounce back quickly, I would have agreed with what you said if it's only 5 6 games to play, all we need is to focus on our self and look forward because looking backwards at the defeat or at Liverpool as you mentioned will not help at all.

RAVred

Even if we cant win we should try to finish as close to the top as possible... I highly doubt City drop 0 points for the remainder of the season.

Giggs86

Going along those lines I'm pretty sure we'd have won had it been KDB suspended for city and we had Pogba in our team.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Going along those lines I'm pretty sure we'd have won had it been KDB suspended for city and we had Pogba in our team.
I think that is reasonable. In fact, if Kdb was injured for 2 months, City would most likely have lost at least one game by now, and drawn a few.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'll ask you Namco's favorite nut, was it lucky to face a City team whose only LB is out? Whose best CB is out? and whose captain gets injured at half time? A City team who played 2 CM's in a back 4 for 30 minutes? Was that lucky or was it engineered by brilliant United?
Was it lucky to face a Spurs side without the best striker in the league?
Was it lucky to score a poxy og to beat Brighton?
Was it lucky that Benfica's keeper decided to hand you 2 goals in key games?
How about the defender slipping for Lukaku's header v Southampton from which he converted the rebound?

Both Manchester sides have had things go their way this season and got the rub of the green more often than not.

Womp

idiot
I'll ask you Namco's favorite nut, was it lucky to face a City team whose only LB is out? Whose best CB is out? and whose captain gets injured at half time? A City team who played 2 CM's in a back 4 for 30 minutes? Was that lucky or was it engineered by brilliant United?
Was it lucky to face a Spurs side without the best striker in the league?
Was it lucky to score a poxy og to beat Brighton?
Was it lucky that Benfica's keeper decided to hand you 2 goals in key games?
How about the defender slipping for Lukaku's header v Southampton from which he converted the rebound?

Both Manchester sides have had things go their way this season and got the rub of the green more often than not.
We didn't have our best two defenders at all in the game. We didn't have our best CM and our best player. You're left back is out and you're playing a midfielder there, so were we.

Yes, we acknowledged it was lucky to play Spurs without Kane, most on here acknowledged it made the game much easier for us, something City fans can't seem to grasp.

Mistakes in open play is hardly the same as fecking injuries to key players, what a laughable comparison. That's like saying all of Sterling's late goals are lucky because he didn't get closed down quick enough. If Southampton close him down quicker, he doesn't get the shot off and you guys end the game with a draw.

You played Liverpool without their best player and against 10 men for the whole fecking game. Yes it was stupid from Mane, but luck doesn't have to be directly correlated to you. It was fecking stupid by him and something he most likely won't replicate against the other big teams, making the games effectively more difficult for the other top sides than it was for you. You played Chelsea without Morata, their only striker, the same Morata who scored a wonder-goal which resulted in being the difference when they played us. Your 'best CB' should have been red carded at the start of the Leicester game, which would have made things much more difficult for you guys given their pace on the counter.

Giggs86

I think that is reasonable. In fact, if Kdb was injured for 2 months, City would most likely have lost at least one game by now, and drawn a few.
Exactly.

The thing is that title winning sides usually riding a fair amount of luck during the season through late goals, ref decisions, injuries, suspension etc. Unfortunately City have everything lining up for them this season, and unless something extremely drastic will happen they will we champions.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We didn't have our best two defenders at all in the game. We didn't have our best CM and our best player. You're left back is out and you're playing a midfielder there, so were we.

Yes, we acknowledged it was lucky to play Spurs without Kane, most on here acknowledged it made the game much easier for us, something City fans can't seem to grasp.

Mistakes in open play is hardly the same as fecking injuries to key players, what a laughable comparison. That's like saying all of Sterling's late goals are lucky because he didn't get closed down quick enough. If Southampton close him down quicker, he doesn't get the shot off and you guys end the game with a draw.

You played Liverpool without their best player and against 10 men for the whole fecking game. Yes it was stupid from Mane, but luck doesn't have to be directly correlated to you. It was fecking stupid by him and something he most likely won't replicate against the other big teams, making the games effectively more difficult for the other top sides than it was for you. You played Chelsea without Morata, their only striker, the same Morata who scored a wonder-goal which resulted in being the difference when they played us. Your 'best CB' should have been red carded at the start of the Leicester game, which would have made things much more difficult for you guys given their pace on the counter.
Yes of course ye've have bad luck to and good luck, as have we. Thats the point though isn't it.

yes Sterling could have been closed down but in general the talk of luck was lucky to win v B'Mouth, lucky v United etc.. both teams have had the rub of the green more often. It's exactly what I said. We were unlucky to face you without those players, you were unlucky to be missing Bailly and Pogba. We were lucky v Huddersfield with the goal, you had a lucky one vs Brighton.

My issue is with Kola_Nut and his ilk saying its all one sided.

Mane wasn't unlucky, he was full on stupid. One could argue us having to play with Bravo for the rest of that game through no fault of ours was bad luck.
Walkers red card that wasn't even a foul? Bad Luck.
Aguero's car crash? Bad luck.
Mendy's injury etc... etc...

Thats my whole point, people on here seem to be spouting we are only lucky which is untrue, we've had good luck and bad. As have every other team.
Luck is luck regardless of how it comes.

We were missing Sergio Aguero v Chelsea, Morata went off injured. Chelsea had Morata more than we had Aguero, we were unlucky before the game. Lucky during. yet on here only Morata's injury is important.

The United

They’re good, but not as good as people are saying. Their defence is quite poor still.
As the guys above said, they are on par with us.

Also we are the team who park the bus at times, while they are attacking home teams like united at OT with 6 or 7 players surrounding the box.

Womp

idiot
Yes of course ye've have bad luck to and good luck, as have we. Thats the point though isn't it.

yes Sterling could have been closed down but in general the talk of luck was lucky to win v B'Mouth, lucky v United etc.. both teams have had the rub of the green more often. It's exactly what I said. We were unlucky to face you without those players, you were unlucky to be missing Bailly and Pogba. We were lucky v Huddersfield with the goal, you had a lucky one vs Brighton.

My issue is with Kola_Nut and his ilk saying its all one sided.

Mane wasn't unlucky, he was full on stupid. One could argue us having to play with Bravo for the rest of that game through no fault of ours was bad luck.
Walkers red card that wasn't even a foul? Bad Luck.
Aguero's car crash? Bad luck.
Mendy's injury etc... etc...

Thats my whole point, people on here seem to be spouting we are only lucky which is untrue, we've had good luck and bad. As have every other team.
Luck is luck regardless of how it comes.

We were missing Sergio Aguero v Chelsea, Morata went off injured. Chelsea had Morata more than we had Aguero, we were unlucky before the game. Lucky during. yet on here only Morata's injury is important.
You're right, it's not only luck, you guys have been phenomenal this season. You have had the rub of the green that have made some difficult games easier for you, that's all. Might just be because I'm frustrated as we can't seem to catch a break with injuries to Bailly and Pogba and shite but it is what it is.

You guys have been very good and are deservedly at the top, I don't think it's right to say you guys haven't had the luck of the green at times though. It's not really an insult to you guys, all Champions need luck at times. As I said to another City fan before it's more of a 'You guys are getting the luck you'd expect to see from the soon to be champions' rather than suggesting you guys suck and you're only where you are because of luck.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You're right, it's not only luck, you guys have been phenomenal this season. You have had the rub of the green that have made some difficult games easier for you, that's all. Might just be because I'm frustrated as we can't seem to catch a break with injuries to Bailly and Pogba and shite but it is what it is.

You guys have been very good and are deservedly at the top, I don't think it's right to say you guys haven't had the luck of the green at times though. It's not really an insult to you guys, all Champions need luck at times. As I said to another City fan before it's more of a 'You guys are getting the luck you'd expect to see from the soon to be champions' rather than suggesting you guys suck and you're only where you are because of luck.
I agree 100% mate, of course we have. What I'm saying is while we've had more good luck than bad we've had both. You guys have had poor luck with pogba indeed, the difference in your team when he's available is huge. I made a comment this week on just how different you look with or without.

Status
Not open for further replies.