The Torres vs United myth

kietotheworld

He's played 5 matches against us this season, the only one he was effective in was the first. If we stop him again this weekend I think people might finally shut up about this myth, but if we don't we'll never hear the end of it.

MUFCgal

I don't understand it. He's made like 10 appearances against us (for both Liverpool & Chelsea), and he's gotten 3 goals.

The majority of times we've faced him, we've dealt with him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We should be more worried if it is Kalou & Malouda either side of Drogba.

kietotheworld

2007-08

Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd (No goals)
Man Utd 3-0 Liverpool (No goals)

2008-09

Man Utd 1-4 Liverpool (1 Goal)

2009-10

Liverpool 2-0 Man Utd (1 Goal)
Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool (1 Goal)

2010-11

Man Utd 3-2 Liverpool (No goals)
Man Utd 1-0 Liverpool (No goals)
Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd (No goals)
Chelsea 0-1 Man Utd (No goals)
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea (No goals)

3 in 10 is correct, and he's got the better of Vidic for just one of them, somehow he's considered Vidic's nemesis though.

MUFCgal

We should be more worried if it is Kalou & Malouda either side of Drogba.
Agreed.

I'd be delighted if it were Torres & Drogba up front together because it just doesn't work.

If Ancelotti goes 4-3-3 with Kalou & Malouda up with Drogba, a formation which clearly works better for Chelsea, then it's a bit more squeaky bum.

kietotheworld

He scored his first goal against Chelsea in 2008, I believe, intercepting a backpass from Carvalho, and scored his second in our 3-0 defeat of Chelsea at Old Trafford. He scored against them again in the Community Shield of 2009, and scored two against them this season.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
2 goals this season and 1 in the Community Shield I think.
Community shield goal was last season (this season was Valencia, Berbatov and Hernandez)

Rooney's isn't that great either. He's got five goals (At SB in 07/08, OT 08/09, Charity Shield 09/10, League and CL at SB this season).

That's in 17 starts and 1 sub appearance (which was after we'd already won the title in 06/07)

EDIT: Actually that's 17 starts, I forgot the FA Cup Final in 2007 (for obvious reasons)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What is his record against us in terms of goals against games played?
16th December 2007 - Liverpool 0 - 1 Man United (0 goals)
23rd March 2008 - Man United 3 - 0 Liverpool (0 goals)
14th March 2009 - Man United 1 - 4 Liverpool (1 goal)
25th October 2009 - Liverpool 2 - 0 Man United (1 goal)
21st March 2010 - Man United 2 - 1 Liverpool (1 goal)
19th September 2010 - Man United 3 - 2 Liverpool (0 goals)
9th January 2011 - Man United 1 - 0 Liverpool (0 goals) (FA CUP)
1st March 2011 - Chelsea 2 - 1 Man United (0 goals)
6th April 2011 - Chelsea 0 - 1 Man United (0 goals) (UCL)
12th April 2011 - Man United 2 - 1 Chelsea (0 goals) (UCL)

3 goals in 10 appearances. Not great, not terrible.

Anderson8

It's a fact of life really, if your a club that doesn't lose often, or doesn't concede many goals, when you do against somebody, then that same person/team does it again in some sort of relative close time period then people will make stupid generalisations. Before our win over Liverpool in the F.A cup this season I was talking to an Arsenal supporting mate of mine and he said "It's a tough one for you, because you always seem to lose against Liverpool". As it was we won 1-0, and in fact, even before the game our head to head record against Liverpool in recent times was more than marginally superior. It doesn't help that whenever we lose, lets say to Liverpool, the media go absolutely fecking crazy, as do Liverpool fans, so people get it stuck in their head a lot more than say, when we beat them, and the media almost pretend nothing happened, and our fans are probably a bit quieter in victory. Probably because beating Liverpool is less of an achievement for us, than beating Manchester United is for them.

wr8_utd

:'(
Community shield goal was last season (this season was Valencia, Berbatov and Hernandez)

Rooney's isn't that great either. He's got five goals (At SB in 07/08, OT 08/09, Charity Shield 09/10, League and CL at SB this season).

That's in 17 starts and 1 sub appearance (which was after we'd already won the title in 06/07)

EDIT: Actually that's 17 starts, I forgot the FA Cup Final in 2007 (for obvious reasons)
SB in 07/08? The Carvalho mistake?

That game was infuriating. Yet another example of us getting robbed at the Bridge with Wiley giving that penalty :mad:

Anderson8

I reckon Carlos gonna try his luck once more and hope this is the game Torres explodes. If it isn't then it could be the last straw for him, if it is then he'll be callled a genius. All or nothing.

humdinger

He's played 5 matches against us this season, the only one he was effective in was the first. If we stop him again this weekend I think people might finally shut up about this myth, but if we don't we'll never hear the end of it.
I doubt it - they are still saying it based on nothing he has done this season. He is an excellent player when on form, and undoubtedly gave us a hell of a lot of bother in THAT game, but they still say he always rips us (and Vidic in particular) a new one, which is ridiculous.

Peasplease

Pretty obvious what's happened here. Torres scored 3 games consecutive against you guys, taking it to 3 games in 5 he has scored in, thus prompting everyone to proclaim him your nemesis. Understandable. Since then he has done feck all though.

Just realized Torres could lose to Man Utd 5 times this season. fecking hell!

Anderson8

I take your point, but had Rooney scored 3 in 5 against Liverpool would people actually be saying he's the nemesis of Liverpool. No, probably not.

Peasplease

If the entire sample size was 5 games, like with Torres at the time and if the goals were spread out between games I think people would have.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If Rooney scores tomorrow he's got 3 in 4 against Chelsea so we could see it there.

Smith's Cove

It's a fact of life really, if your a club that doesn't lose often, or doesn't concede many goals, when you do against somebody, then that same person/team does it again in some sort of relative close time period then people will make stupid generalisations. Before our win over Liverpool in the F.A cup this season I was talking to an Arsenal supporting mate of mine and he said "It's a tough one for you, because you always seem to lose against Liverpool". As it was we won 1-0, and in fact, even before the game our head to head record against Liverpool in recent times was more than marginally superior. It doesn't help that whenever we lose, lets say to Liverpool, the media go absolutely fecking crazy, as do Liverpool fans, so people get it stuck in their head a lot more than say, when we beat them, and the media almost pretend nothing happened, and our fans are probably a bit quieter in victory. Probably because beating Liverpool is less of an achievement for us, than beating Manchester United is for them.
It's not just that mate, they go fecking bananas even when they lose. For example, try to find a Scouser that doesn't accept that they were absolutely battered at Old Trafford back in September. Despite the fact that they only managed two sett piece goals in their infrequent sortes forward the vast majority of them are convinced that they were hard done by that day and should have walked out of their with at least a draw. My memory of the game is sitting there watching it and thinking "wow, I wonder how many we can put past them today". It's in keeping with their "man for man our squad is miles better than the Mancs" mindset. Deluded feckers.

Smith's Cove

I take your point, but had Rooney scored 3 in 5 against Liverpool would people actually be saying he's the nemesis of Liverpool. No, probably not.
To be fair to Liverpool, they do seem to have Rooney's number. That said, his record against Chelsea and Arenal is pretty good.

Crustanoid

16th December 2007 - Liverpool 0 - 1 Man United (0 goals)
23rd March 2008 - Man United 3 - 0 Liverpool (0 goals)
14th March 2009 - Man United 1 - 4 Liverpool (1 goal)
25th October 2009 - Liverpool 2 - 0 Man United (1 goal)
21st March 2010 - Man United 2 - 1 Liverpool (1 goal)
19th September 2010 - Man United 3 - 2 Liverpool (0 goals)
9th January 2011 - Man United 1 - 0 Liverpool (0 goals) (FA CUP)
1st March 2011 - Chelsea 2 - 1 Man United (0 goals)
6th April 2011 - Chelsea 0 - 1 Man United (0 goals) (UCL)
12th April 2011 - Man United 2 - 1 Chelsea (0 goals) (UCL)

3 goals in 10 appearances. Not great, not terrible.
3 games in a row. Guess the deluded Scousers started this when they had their little run of victories

mufcwarm92

Torres tore us apart once. He was decent at Anfield last season. He's been well dealt with well in the other 8 fixtures in which we've played them.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
3 games in a row. Guess the deluded Scousers started this when they had their little run of victories
That's really all it is. The fact that he scored in three and a row, and he's supposed to be a legend against us! 3 in 10 ain't bad, but if you take that run when Liverpool had the hoodoo over us, then its, not great either.

Jonno

I have taken to this Myth a little bit though I must admit....

Every time we come up against Chelsea these days I still put him on as first scorer, but so far so good he has been very ineffective against us. You can see it in his body language though that he really wants to do well against us

Number7

Ret's Slave
Argggghhhh couldn't this have waited until tomorrow?

(I agree that as of this moment, today, it has been a complete myth though)

Number7

Ret's Slave
Hernandez vs Chelsea 2 in 4 (1 of whcih was as a sub)

Zen

They continue to use this myth because like everything Torres they ignore his past year because it's just a "bad time" for him. So to pundits he's actually got 3 in 5. Since he's forgotten how to play he's been 0 for 5 and done nothing of use.

SCM

SSN already re-started the Torres myth today in their news reporting while they cover everything going on trying to build it up into something it isn't yet again.

Chabon

Some clown on the radio (wasn't paying attention to who it was) just said that "Drogba loves to play at Old Trafford, nearly every time he comes here he scores."

Yeah, I think that takes the torres thing and makes it look incredibly reasonable.