The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Apparently having arms is now a footballing crime.

What has happened to the game

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Instantly another daft one against Maccabi now

ti vu

Not following this game at the moment.

Wow. Crazy referee call/ new handball rule

Untd55

That is ridiculous. How could they look at that and think it was a penalty?

cjj

Supports
Spurs
That is ridiculous. How could they look at that and think it was a penalty?
Either of them really. Yes, it's consistent in this game, but both were ridiculous.

Starting to think the refs are on Penno bonuses :lol:

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Because the rule of law says its a pen, if the ref goes against it VAR will over rule it.
It doesn't actually - there's allowances for "unnatural position" and "silhouette" of which both were completely not contravening.

DRM

Jesus, didn't they just play 2 days ago?? How can this even be allowed?

cjj

Supports
Spurs
This is our 7th game in 17 days I think:

13 Sept: Everton (PL)
17 Sept: Plovdiv (EL)
20 Sept: Soton (PL)
24 Sept: Shkendija (EL)
27 Sept: Newcastle (PL)
29 Sept: Chelsea (CC)
1 Oct: Maccabi (EL)

AND we had a game against Leyton Orient cancelled between all that on the 22nd!

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Because the rule of law says its a pen, if the ref goes against it VAR will over rule it.
There’s no VAR at this stage in the competition though.

Won’t be any in the group stage either.

Supports
England
Im happy Spurs are getting some false confidence they re suddenly great.
I don't think that's what's happening. They're still super-dependent on elite forwards like Kane and Son doing amazing things to outscore opponents, because they can't rely on their far more pedestrian midfield and defence to do anything else. The fact that Haifa have carved them open time and again for goals and chances is a testament to how little they can rely on a strategy of not conceding.

And, as best I can tell, a lot of Spurs fans begrudgingly accept this diagnosis. A lot of the talk on Spurs forums is about how worrying their defence is against poverty teams.

ti vu

Unless some giant by some chances dropping into EL at later stage, Tottenham is no.1 favorite to win EL

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think that's what's happening. They're still super-dependent on elite forwards like Kane and Son doing amazing things to outscore opponents, because they can't rely on their far more pedestrian midfield and defence to do anything else. The fact that Haifa have carved them open time and again for goals and chances is a testament to how little they can rely on a strategy of not conceding.

And, as best I can tell, a lot of Spurs fans begrudgingly accept this diagnosis. A lot of the talk on Spurs forums is about how worrying their defence is against poverty teams.
One minute Jose is a defensive shit house of a manager, the next he scores 7 and Spurs fans are concerned of our defence? Most Spurs fans I know, in person and online are not concerned in the slightest about our defence. :houllier:

I have watched the whole match and I defeintely have not said, "OMG we have been carved open time and time again"

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They've got a big enough squad as reflected in the results. One thing you can't say about Spurs squad is it lacks depth.

Does seem a bit risky playing Kane every 48 hours though with his history of hamstring injuries. Maybe not now but in a few months. Think Mourinho pleading for England to rest him will fall on death ears.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Unless some giant by some chances dropping into EL at later stage, Tottenham is no.1 favorite to win EL
Well one of Leipzig (comfortably beat Spurs last season), Man. United or PSG going to drop in for a start.

Spurs probably in top 5 contenders but they obviously need to keep Son and Kane fit for the knockout stages.

Guy Incognito

Sometimes when a team is in a "crisis", the best thing is to have games coming in thick and fast.

Spurs's run in next month and early December is brutal on paper though, especially depending if they remain in the Carabao Cup. I can see Mourinho getting up to his old tricks if things don't go his way.

ti vu

They've got a big enough squad as reflected in the results. One thing you can't say about Spurs squad is it lacks depth.

Does seem a bit risky playing Kane every 48 hours though with his history of hamstring injuries. Maybe not know but in a few months. Think Mourinho pleading for England to rest him will fall on death ears.
They will have Bale and new Carlos Vinícius to rotate with Kane. Bale being the goal scorer with Vinícius being the support.

ti vu

Well one of Leipzig (comfortably beat Spurs last season), Man. United or PSG going to drop in for a start.

Spurs probably in top 5 contenders but they obviously need to keep Son and Kane fit for the knockout stages.
Last season was last season. Leipzig lost Werner. As seeing in later stage of CL, it's a huge change.

As for now, we don't have the squad for Thursday football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They will have Bale and new Carlos Vinícius to rotate with Kane. Bale being the goal scorer with Vinícius being the support.
We'll have to see what stage Bale is in. Sure he'll have some good games but hard to be him being the force of old although he probably won't have to be as Spurs certainly didn't have the quality of Kane and Son last time he was at the club upfront.

Spurs will be in the mix for sure but yeah have to see who drops in after xmas, Inter Milan and Sevilla did and made the final.