Television The Trip

BaldwinLegend

It was a good episode, but the fantastic start - the scene in the car - was let down by the rest of it when they had to resort to impressing the women with the same impressions we'd seen them do in earlier episodes.
That was the whole point though. Would have been a bit of a departure if they'd pulled some brand new impersonations out of the bag and taken the girls straight back for a four way, wouldn't it?

It's always interesting and thought provoking. At the dinner with the women, Brydon tried too hard and made an idiot out of himself, then bitched about Coogan's efforts to get women. Then they cut to Coogan effortlessly charming the Spanish photographer while Brydon surprised us by trying to potentially cheat on his wife, and then making a hash of it. It's those contradictions and observations which make the show.

It's been a great series so far.

decorativeed

I know it was the point, I don't need it explaining, it just didn't make for interesting viewing in my opinion.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Great series made all the more interesting when you know some of the places they are eating at.

Hipping Hall is well worth a visit.

decorativeed

Last episode tonight. Was good as usual, but I must admit I thought the down-beat endings of previous shows might be leading up to something... anything. In the end it just seemed a bit tacked-on, trying to be deep and meaningful when in truth it was a show the centred around the inane (but hugely entertaining) chit-chat of two middle-aged, successful men. As much as I like Coogan, I was never going to be feeling sorry for him.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
Last episode tonight. Was good as usual, but I must admit I thought the down-beat endings of previous shows might be leading up to something... anything. In the end it just seemed a bit tacked-on, trying to be deep and meaningful when in truth it was a show the centred around the inane (but hugely entertaining) chit-chat of two middle-aged, successful men. As much as I like Coogan, I was never going to be feeling sorry for him.
aye, it did just kind of peter out.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Hmmmm, the way it was built up last week I was half excpecting a big bust up of sorts between the two.

In a way though, I'm kind of glad it didn't go the obvious route. Yeah, you can say it petered out but I thought stylistically it suited the tone of the show.

On the whole I really enjoyed it.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
Hmmmm, the way it was built up last week I was half excpecting a big bust up of sorts between the two.

In a way though, I'm kind of glad it didn't go the obvious route. Yeah, you can say it petered out but I thought stylistically it suited the tone of the show.

yeah me too, i´m burning the whole series to dvd as we speak :D

has it been stated that it was just a one off series or could there be more to come, or do we think it has run its course?

Eriku

That one.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
yeah me too, i´m burning the whole series to dvd as we speak :D

has it been stated that it was just a one off series or could there be more to come, or do we think it has run its course?
All I've heard is that it's been cut down into film format.

I guess it would work as a kind of British 'Sideways'. But funnier.

decorativeed

I thought it was a terrific series, shame there probably won't be another one. All those who were expecting a bust-up and a cliffhanger finale have to acknowledge that this wasn't Prison Break!
I wasn't expecting a grand finale, in the end I just thought the mopey scenes were largely superfluous. It seemed to me that they were included just as an attempt to make the series more introspective and meaningful as though it would have been too overtly comedic without it and as such too 'low-brow', maybe. It was almost like Winterbottom seemed ashamed of making a mainstream, not particularly clever comedy - which is ultimately what it was.

The introspective stuff might have worked better had Coogan and Brydon been playing characters (I know they were doing - their families, situation and other things were fictitious) rather than versions of themselves, it might have been easier to buy into, but the audience came into the show with preconceptions and prior knowledge of them, so it felt a bit difficult to care.

I'd be interested to see the trimmed movie-length cut of it.

Brophs

The One and Only
I really didn't think this was all that good. It had its moments, as anything with Coogan and Brydon will, but too much of it was just filler, particularly with the impressions. I'm sure someone will tell me that the whole point of the impressions is that they're two middle-aged men with a few party tricks but the 'joke' was spread across too many episodes, IMHO.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Just downloaded and watched the film cut. Very good stuff...been waiting ages to see it. Makes me want to drive through the snowy hills playing Joy Division.

Peanut Butter

I loved the previous two, especially the one in Italy.

Will start this tomorrow with a glass of beer and something nice to eat (always makes me hungry watching!)

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Enjoying this show a lot.

Rob Brydon is clearly the better impressionist though. Coogan thinks he's the better one, but he's wrong.

Ibi Dreams

Enjoying this show a lot.

Rob Brydon is clearly the better impressionist though. Coogan thinks he's the better one, but he's wrong.
Coogan does a few of them better, I can't remember who I'd pick as better overall. But the fun of it is that both of them think they're better than the other at pretty much everything

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

More trips to come :drool:

Best part of the interview is 13:00 onwards for Partridge fans.