Television The Trip

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Anyone else watching this (BBC 2 on Mondays)?

Comedy series starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon.

When Steve is commissioned by the food supplement of a Sunday newspaper to review half a dozen restaurants, he decides to mix work with pleasure and plans a trip around the north of England with his food-loving, American girlfriend. But when she decides to leave him and return to the States, Steve is faced with a week of meals for one, not quite the trip he had in mind. Reluctantly, he calls Rob, the only person he can think of who will be available. Rob, never one to turn down a free lunch (let alone six) agrees, and together they set off for a culinary adventure.

Over the course of six meals at six different restaurants in and around the Lake District, Lancashire and the Yorkshire Dales, this ultimate odd couple find themselves debating the big questions of life over a series of culinary delights.
I downloaded the first 2 episodes and watched em over the weekeend. It's absolutely fantastic.

Beautifully shot by Michael Winterbottom there are some stunning views of the English countryside, the food looks gorgeous but best of all the interplay between Brydon and Coogan is frequently laugh out loud funny. Particularly when they oftten try to outdo each other with their impersonations -

I really do encourage you to watch it if you aren't already. The humour is beuatifully understated at times rather than in your face trying to be funny and for me it's one of the freshest things I've seen on British TV in a long time.

The first 2 episodes are up on the BBC Site (below) if you want to catch up and can't download them.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - The Trip

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
i watched the first and enjoyed it, it was difficult to tell if they are just being themselves or just taking the piss out of their perceived personas, either way it was very enjoyable.

i had forgotten about the second episode and have just downloaded it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
i watched the first and enjoyed it, it was difficult to tell if they are just being themselves or just taking the piss out of their perceived personas, either way it was very enjoyable.

i had forgotten about the second episode and have just downloaded it.
Yeah, tis a bit odd at first.

If you've seen 'A Cock & Bull Story' (also directed by Winterbottom) then they're essentially playing the same characters they do in that i.e. a pisstake of their real life personas.

The second one is quality. The Stephen Hawking face off and Coogans Richard Gere observations in particular.

Lovely stuff.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yep, I heard that they don't actually work with a proper script.

They were on the radio the other day saying that they have concrete ideas for but then just improv around them.

Re: The British countryside. I'm normally one for slagging off the UK but seeing the Lake District & The Yorkshire Dales captured like that makes me feel I should get out more. Living in a City you often forget what we've got to offer.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Just been to the websites of the first restaurants featured.

The INN AT WHITEWELL

Michelin Star Restaurant - L

I think the surreal feel stems from the fact that they're acting whilst clearly the staff at the restaurants are just doing their job.

I like food programmes and love Coogan & Brydon so this is a win/win siduation for me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Beautifully landscapes again.

That was a lot lower key than the first 2 episodes. There's a beautifully depressing undertone to this series. Coogan is the playing the sad clown to a tee.

decorativeed

Yeah, tis a bit odd at first.

If you've seen 'A Cock & Bull Story' (also directed by Winterbottom) then they're essentially playing the same characters they do in that i.e. a pisstake of their real life personas.

The second one is quality. The Stephen Hawking face off and Coogans Richard Gere observations in particular.

Lovely stuff.
I see what you did there. :lol:

I did not really enjoy A Cock & Bull Story to be honest... except for those improvised Coogan/Brydon bits. I've been loving this series so far.

They were in Keswick in today's episode too. One of my favourite places in England. A perfect combination.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Those two shouldn't be allowed to travel in the same vehicle because if there was an accident British comedy would be plunged into disarray. Obviously everyone will be familiar with Coogan's work but very few people have watched Marian and Geoff which is just phenomenal. For Brydon to basically give us a five hour monologue (from a camera in his taxicab) and never once lose our attention and sympathy is one of the most impressive examples of comedy writing and performing I have ever seen.

decorativeed

I never got into Marion and Geoff. Thought it was a bit boring, but I probably never gave it the chance it deserved. Someone else recently has been telling me how great it was, so I'll have to give it a proper watch soon.

evra

I never got into Marion and Geoff. Thought it was a bit boring, but I probably never gave it the chance it deserved. Someone else recently has been telling me how great it was, so I'll have to give it a proper watch soon.
Definitely worth giving another go, his character has such an endearing way of cataloguing all the terrible things that go on in his life but constantly striving for the positives, it's a proper black comedy executed perfectly in my opinion.

Plan M

Absolutely love this program! I caught it for the first time on Sunday so I had to watch the first one as well. Really funny - it's mostly improvised apparantly.

sammymc

indeed...seen an interview with coogan and brydon and they said winterbottom had left out loads of what they considered to be very funny stuff in favour of the more snipey, hurtful conversations, no doubt the dvd will be full of this.

Magnificent series so far, so low key and yet compulsive viewing. Who would have known that just seeing steve coogan standing in countryside shouting "A-HAAA" could be so brilliant.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
indeed...seen an interview with coogan and brydon and they said winterbottom had left out loads of what they considered to be very funny stuff in favour of the more snipey, hurtful conversations, no doubt the dvd will be full of this.

Magnificent series so far, so low key and yet compulsive viewing. Who would have known that just seeing steve coogan standing in countryside shouting "A-HAAA" could be so brilliant.
was a lovely moment that.

yaps

(287 Games - 15 Goals) Toxic Frogger
I LOVE this show.

I need to catch up and watch episode 3 though!

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Fantastic television, under-stated, funny, interesting.

decorativeed

Definitely worth giving another go, his character has such an endearing way of cataloguing all the terrible things that go on in his life but constantly striving for the positives, it's a proper black comedy executed perfectly in my opinion.
I've downloaded the first 4 episodes, and yes, they are very good. Glad I've been set straight on that account.

Doogie

here´s the first 3 episodes.....

episode 1:MaxUpload.com - Upload Center

episode 2:MaxUpload.com - Upload Center

episode 3:MaxUpload.com - Upload Center

EDIT: the site is down just now,maybe try these in an hour or two
Also here
Ep 1 - The Inn at Whitewell
Code:
http://hotfile.com/dl/81313591/98e67c0/t.TRi-101.rar.html

http://www.fileserve.com/file/arUPMgn
Ep 2 - L'Enclume
Code:
http://hotfile.com/dl/81446049/3477ace/t.TRi-102.rar.html

http://www.fileserve.com/file/ev74g5R
Ep 3 - Holbeck Ghyll
Code:
http://hotfile.com/dl/82912602/5bd6d89/thE_TrI.103.zip.html

http://www.fileserve.com/file/m54sFFk

evra

I've downloaded the first 4 episodes, and yes, they are very good. Glad I've been set straight on that account.
Glad you're enjoying it, I was a little worried when the second series cam out (jumping from little ten minute episodes to full half-hour shows) but it just got better and better, the only slight disappointment was the finale which strangely decided to part from the monologue format.

decorativeed

I don't like spoiling the next episode, I like it to be totally fresh, so I'll skip the clip and wait till Monday.

Watched all of the first series of Marion & Geoff now and really enjoyed it. The safari park scene in particular had me in stitches. Will have to track down the second series now.

Eriku

Oh my fecking God... tears in my eyes...

Spoiler from episode 4:
Coogan's Connolly was absolute awesome, made me laugh so hard... "why do they always do that? they always rise at daybreak."

decorativeed

It was a good episode, but the fantastic start - the scene in the car - was let down by the rest of it when they had to resort to impressing the women with the same impressions we'd seen them do in earlier episodes.