The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Clinton's signature domestic achievement was the Brady bill which introduced federal background checks for gun purchases as well as the five day waiting period, Chuck Schumer was the senator back then who sponsored it with help from Sarah Brady, the wife of Reagan's press secretary, James Brady who got shot in an assassination attempt on Reagan.

Clinton also introduced an assault weapon ban.

Bush deregulated a lot of the stuff and Obama didn't get to do much in the two years he had control of house and Senate as they were trying to push through the healthcare act.
All fine and dandy, but by really doing something I mean actually banning guns for civilians. People don’t need guns, they simply do not.

Sure you use guns to hunt, but hunting is for characters from medieval shows and cavemen. Ban guns, period.

Nogbadthebad

Well this is strange even by his low standards. I think he's pissed that the teenagers in Florida are calling him out and he can't say anything about them considering they just got shot at by a lunatic and lost their friends.
Emma Gonzalez in particular. She directly called him out for taking $30 million from the NRA.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Really? He did a lot more in terms of impactful domestic reforms.
Ronald Reagan, the Republican Jesus wrote an op-ed in the NYT in favour of gun reform when that bill was being introduced and its probably the biggest gun reform that passed the US senate. It doesn't get more impactful than that.

Carolina Red

Staff
Ronald Reagan, the Republican Jesus wrote an op-ed in the NYT in favour of gun reform when that bill was being introduced and its probably the biggest gun reform that passed the US senate. It doesn't get more impactful than that.
Can you link that?

I’ve got a lot of Reagan worshippers I’d show that to.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:nervous:

Nearly 40,000 agents all distracted by one investigation.

He's basically just said this is the FBI's fault. He's got to be one of the most idiotic men in the world? They're going to be doing unpaid overtime to nail him then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
These tweet storms are usually somehow tied to his own fears and anxieties. If he's happy, he generally doesn't tweet about this sort of thing.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

He's basically just said this is the FBI's fault. He's got to be one of the most idiotic men in the world? They're going to be doing unpaid overtime to nail him then.
He's just peddling the FOX News narrative, as usual. I just watched a clip from CNN where they showed Tucker Carlson and some other muppets all screaming about how everyone at the FBI is busy working on the dead end Russia investigation instead of "stopping the bad guys". The odds of Trump watching that and doing his standard copy-paste aren't sky high.

He's sounded quite desperate today though, seems like he doesn't care what he says as long as it might undermine the guys going after him.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Racism - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I really don't think true racism is as prevalent as some think these days. We have a fair amount of financial and social inequality which is not the same thing as racism.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Racism - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I really don't think true racism is as prevalent as some think these days. We have a fair amount of financial and social inequality which is not the same thing as racism.
Let me tell you a true story with some twists to protect identities.

A stereotypical white American from the mainland suburbs travels to Hawai'i thinking she understands everything about how America is far less racist than it used to be and not understanding what her black and immigrant friends were talking about when they disagreed.

She thought she was "down" and wanted to hang out at non-tourist spots on Oahu (IE not Waikiki in Honolulu and not the tourist North Shore section). She travels off to bars where locals hang out. She walks into a bar and conversations stop. People turn and give suspicious looks. She is served but the vibe in the air clearly shows her she is unwanted. She would sit at the bar, used to her blond hair making guys want to buy her free drinks. Instead bartenders at local bars serve customers who arrived at the bar after her ignoring her for as long as humanly possible. Instead of queuing up to buy her free drinks as she is used to, guys move away from her seat at the bar to not be close to her. Servers, male and female, never say more than they have to. Often times servers "forget" to bring her the extras she asked for in her meal always with a "oh sorry I forgot" despite the fact the locals seemed to be getting excellent. This continues consistently for several days in a row.

No one directly calls her a Haole. No one actively refuses her service. No one ever does anything that would fit a US Republicans subjective (because no dictionary can actually define racism).

Yet she cancels her trip weeks early and returns home because she is made in very subtle and sometimes indescribable ways to feel unwanted. She calls her black and immigrant friends and says "I finally understand what you all mean when you say the vibe of racism that I never noticed before because I was immune to it. Now I understand because I have experienced it."

Now, you might tell her she never actually experienced racism because the story doesn't fit whatever arbitrary definition exists. But she knows what she experienced and how it felt. And it exists. I have a feeling other black and minority posters on her know exactly what I mean when I tell this story.

---

Oh and just so this is not only anecdotes I suggest the great work of Devah Pager who showed another type of subtle racism. Being a black person with no criminal record is worse than being a white American with a criminal record regarding job prospects

"In fact, even whites with criminal records received more favorable treatment (17%) than blacks without criminal records (14%).34 The rank ordering of groups in this graph is painfully revealing of employer preferences: race continues to play a dominant role in shaping employment opportunities, equal to or greater than the impact of a criminal record."
https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/pager/files/pager_ajs.pdf

Last edited:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

He is going against everyone, all the institutions. This is a very dangerous behaviour.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Now, you might tell her she never actually experienced racism because the story doesn't fit whatever arbitrary definition exists. But she knows what she experienced and how it felt. And it exists. I have a feeling other black and minority posters on her know exactly what I mean when I tell this story.
That anecdote happens all the time on Islands or where locals gather a lot. Its happened to us on Amelia Island because we are new blood. My daughter-in-law is having a hell of a job settling in with her teaching job because the locals are hostile towards outsiders. We have also experienced racism in the US for being perceived as outsiders. Its usually ignorance and distrust more than out and out prejudice.

The conversation started when someone with zero experience of the US implied racism is a much bigger issue than it really is. There are large groups of people in certain areas that are stuck in a social poverty cycle but if you break away from that there are plenty of opportunities for all races. I work with and live among many AA folks there are doing very well.

If you want to continue this it probably needs a new thread.

Nucks

RT History Department
Tbf no democrat or republican has ever really done something against guns, so this isnt really a Trump thing. From all presidents in the past century, trump is the last I’d expect to go big on gun control.
It's because of this, I'm about to describe the foundation of the US political system in a single sentence.

"Hey, I've got 20 million dollars, I need you to shape public opinion to be in favor of something that is terrible for them, so I can keep giving you money".

That's how it works here. It's legalized/normalized (pick a word) corruption.

Abizzz

It's because of this, I'm about to describe the foundation of the US political system in a single sentence.

"Hey, I've got 20 million dollars, I need you to shape public opinion to be in favor of something that is terrible for them, so I can keep giving you money".

That's how it works here. It's legalized/normalized (pick a word) corruption.
The only answer I can come up with is to form some sort national life association to rival the NRA. Even big business can make a lot more money off of alive people than dead ones. Sometimes i'm amazed how cheaply the NRA can "influence" policy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The only answer I can come up with is to form some sort national life association to rival the NRA. Even big business can make a lot more money off of alive people than dead ones. Sometimes i'm amazed how cheaply the NRA can "influence" policy.
9-11 only cost OBL 250k.

Abizzz

9-11 only cost OBL 250k.
Only took me about 3 minutes to decipher that... And I still don't quite understand how it's relevant.

If you can come up with a 250k event that would solve this particular issue i'd be up for contributing (No deaths please, would defeat the purpose...).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Only took me about 3 minutes to decipher that... And I still don't quite understand how it's relevant.

If you can come up with a 250k event that would solve this particular issue i'd be up for contributing (No deaths please, would defeat the purpose...).
Several perspectives:
1) OBL's multiplier effect less deadly than NRA's gunblocking -- not justifying OBL's act.
2) Lobbying has its multipler effects in general. See how long the tobacco lobby blocked legislation.
3) The fix needs to be at the lobbying level.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

There is no such thing as 'true racism' vs 'racism'. Are you arguing that prejudice and discrimination based on different race is not racism as long as one doesn't believe his/her own race is superior?

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
There is no such thing as 'true racism' vs 'racism'. Are you arguing that prejudice and discrimination based on different race is not racism as long as one doesn't believe his/her own race is superior?
No that is not what I was saying at all. Racism is racism plain and simple. I just don't think there are a large number of people actively being racist these days. Social and financial inequality as a result of where people live holds people back more than race itself.

Denis79

I tend to misuse the word racism but wondering what would you call someone thinking their culture and values are superior to others and discriminate because of it? I always say racist but that's not entirely correct but not really far from it either.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
No that is not what I was saying at all. Racism is racism plain and simple. I just don't think there are a large number of people actively being racist these days. Social and financial inequality as a result of where people live holds people back more than race itself.
I agree to an extent that discrimination due to income inequality is widespread today, and it because it disproportionately affects minorities, some portion of it might be miscontrued as racism, to claim that there are not a large number of people who are racist is far off the mark. Obviously we are going to base this off our own personal experiences and I'm stating my view here.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
I agree to an extent that discrimination due to income inequality is widespread today, and it because it disproportionately affects minorities, some portion of it might be miscontrued as racism, to claim that there are not a large number of people who are racist is far off the mark. Obviously we are going to base this off our own personal experiences and I'm stating my view here.
I think we need to establish what we are considering a large number of people. As a percentage of the US population I would put that number at no more than 5-10%. Still a significant number of people but the vast majority of people are not racist IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.