The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedChip

I would bet he is looking forward to claiming the record for the biggest, greatest shut down.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't know why anyone bothers responding to endless wheelies anymore, he's long since shown himself up to be a sound bite troll with no interest in discussion or actually learning anything.

Boycott

Do you think if there is no wall and Trump is defeated in 2020 that future GOP candidates will adopt a border wall as a party policy or close that chapter with Trump?

ErranMorad

Do you think if there is no wall and Trump is defeated in 2020 that future GOP candidates will adopt a border wall as a party policy or close that chapter with Trump?
It'll be the day of reckoning for the GOP if Trump loses badly in 2020. The "traditional conservative" is a dying breed and what they have left is a far right voter base. However, it is not big enough to bring them huge electoral wins. So, they'll have to adopt policies than can bring the independents to their side, but that might not to acceptable to the Trump voter. IMO, GOP will need to reinvent itself post 2020. There are merits in some of the conservative & libertarian principles. It'll be interesting to see if they can steer the base back to those values, while roping in some of the independents, instead of the current cultural nonsense they are engaged in.

Drifter

American
GOP think the wall is a waste of money now. So i don't think they will continue on with it .

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It'll be the day of reckoning for the GOP if Trump loses badly in 2020. The "traditional conservative" is a dying breed and what they have left is a far right voter base. However, it is not big enough to bring them huge electoral wins. So, they'll have to adopt policies than can bring the independents to their side, but that might not to acceptable to the Trump voter. IMO, GOP will need to reinvent itself post 2020. There are merits in some of the conservative & libertarian principles. It'll be interesting to see if they can steer the base back to those values, while roping in some of the independents, instead of the current cultural nonsense they are engaged in.
There was a pretty good article in the atlantic that said GOP voter base used to be the educated working class who wanted lesser taxes and more business friendly government. Now their voter base is increasingly blue collar, lower income people who previously used to vote democrat while the white collared professionals shifted to the Democrat side. Like it or not they'll have to be more populist if that holds.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I'd give Trump his wall but get path to citizenship for DACA recipients, tax credits for renewable energy, campaign finance reform, new collective bargaining rules and a non-partisan committee to draw maps and stop gerrymandering in return.
First thing that Dems should ask for on that budget is back pay for all the Federal employees who have had to manage without wages while this ridiculous stand off plays out.

Should be first thing on every budget after a shutdown.

ErranMorad

There was a pretty good article in the atlantic that said GOP voter base used to be the educated working class who wanted lesser taxes and more business friendly government. Now their voter base is increasingly blue collar, lower income people who previously used to vote democrat while the white collared professionals shifted to the Democrat side. Like it or not they'll have to be more populist if that holds.
The biggest trick the GOP has pulled (is pulling) is making climate change & income redistribution a taboo for the people who are the most affected by climate change & need income redistribution the most. And then they have kept them occupied with cultural issues & by instilling fear and loathing for the "other". They can decide to double down and be more populist but that will only bring diminishing returns, imo. In the future the base will keep shrinking & it'll keep becoming harder for them to win if they don't mend their ways.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Did you not see the official National Border Patrol Council come out in favour of the wall just a few days ago?

In return can I ask you for proof that most illegal immigrants are trafficked through air, sea and via Canada?

If a wall wouldn't work why did the Democrats vote through 700 miles of border in 2006, and why did the Obama administration want to add additional barriers in 2009 on the remaining 1300 miles at $7bn? Why does the Israel/Egyptian wall work so well, why has anyone in the history of mankind ever bothered to build a wall? It obviously wouldn't stop all illegal movement but don't deny that it would push expenses and difficulty levels for illegal operators towards levels that are unsustainable. Or that $5bn isn't a ludicrous sum in the overall context of the USA's financial power.

Let's face it, this isn't a wall thing. This is another liberal I don't like Trump thing.
I'll deny that til I'm blue in the face. The only thing a barrier would stop is someone who doesn't have $200 for a plane ticket, the contacts to get access to a tunnel or is unable to climb a ladder, and that's about it.

It wouldn't make a dent in the drug trade as the added cost of getting some of the shipments to either go over/under/through some steel barriers or reroute them entirely would definitely not make the drug smugglers business unsustainable, not even close. It's a multi-billion dollar industry so you're never going to stop it by what would at best be a very small increase in transportation costs, or have the smugglers give up because they can't figure out how to get drugs to the other side of some steel brackets sticking up from the ground. Even if the barrier by some miracle helped stop the small time smugglers their business would only be filled in by the big dogs who have 50 other ways to get the drugs across anyway.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
It'll be the day of reckoning for the GOP if Trump loses badly in 2020. The "traditional conservative" is a dying breed and what they have left is a far right voter base. However, it is not big enough to bring them huge electoral wins. So, they'll have to adopt policies than can bring the independents to their side, but that might not to acceptable to the Trump voter.
Not just to the Trump, voter but the GOP itself. Adopting policies which might widen their voter base would mean to abandon their core dogma of screwing over the vast majority in favor of their billionaire puppet masters.

IMO, GOP will need to reinvent itself post 2020.
They would, can't see it happening though any time soon, though.

There are merits in some of the conservative & libertarian principles. It'll be interesting to see if they can steer the base back to those values, while roping in some of the independents, instead of the current cultural nonsense they are engaged in.
The GOP hasn't given 2 shites about principles and integrity since the Nixon days.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Trump wants a fight, any fight, so people aren't talking about his investigation. And it's working, literally days ago it was revealed his campaign manager shared polling data with Russian intelligence.

Which would be a big deal and dominate news except...oh yeah he's creating a bigger story.

As to the nature of the fight, it fits in with his main tool: fear the others. And his other tool, Stephen Miller.

Personally I think he's clocked the first point and will use a national emergency to keep the sheep looking away from the Mueller case.
Just wait till the next indictment drops. He is wasting his time if he thinks he can keep Mueller out of the news permanently. Don't even think Mueller cares.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The thing about trump is that is a double edged sword.

If he's bad all gop needs to do is put someone opposite of trump. If he's deemed winable in the next election they have a blueprint on how to win an election. The right wings are the tip of the scale that could win either side sadly with most dems and republicans locked with their party and the swing voters are often undecided.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yawn.... it’s all so boring.

For the millionth time.

America doesn’t have an illegal migrant problem.

It has a cnuty attitude to getting menial chores done. There are whole towns underpinned by off the books gardeners, nanny’s, Manual workers, the list goes on.

America’s thirst for capitalism has a need for cheaper and cheaper people to undertake the shitty tasks that a lazy populace thinks are beneath them.

Put the people that employ illegal immigrants in prison and the whole problem goes away.

I’ve never seen a dumber country.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yawn.... it’s all so boring.

For the millionth time.

America doesn’t have an illegal migrant problem.

It has a cnuty attitude to getting menial chores done. There are whole towns underpinned by off the books gardeners, nanny’s, Manual workers, the list goes on.

America’s thirst for capitalism has a need for cheaper and cheaper people to undertake the shitty tasks that a lazy populace thinks are beneath them.

Put the people that employ illegal immigrants in prison and the whole problem goes away.

I’ve never seen a dumber country.
Indeed. There's an irony to all this in that many rich Republicans who advocate tax cuts don't really want all that much done about illegal immigration because they know the minute it's actually cracked down on their own profits margins will be hurt. Although I'm sure a few of them are stupid enough that they don't realise this and are inadvertently fecking themselves over.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

More wall bollocks.

He's now trying blackmail.

Oh and then there is this :lol:

Contradicts and lies his arse off in one sentence. "I NEVER SAID MEXICO WOULD PAY FOR THE WALL"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I find the notion of "stopping the inflow of drugs", hilariously naive. As long as the overwhelming demand for drugs exists, the inflow of drugs will exist.
Our coveted capitalism at its finest.

You can construct a giant burning wall with a vacuum moat and laser turrets. Someone will somehow succeeid in smuggling the good stuff past it.

And I know more about burning walls with vacuum moats and laser turrets than anyone, so trust me.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In reality, the shutdown isn’t Trump vs Dems. It’s Dems vs McConnell. The bill has already passed the Senate, it’s a GOP bill.

If McConnell wasn’t obstructing it, it’s got enough support in the senate to cruise through.

RedTiger

Half mast

More wall bollocks.

He's now trying blackmail.

Oh and then there is this :lol:

Contradicts and lies his arse off in one sentence. "I NEVER SAID MEXICO WOULD PAY FOR THE WALL"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"During the campaign I said Mexico would pay for the wall, I obviously didn't say this"
:lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
As an outside observer I actually think he will get his wall
It's "only"
$6bn
There is around 150million tax payers in America

So what is it $40 per tax payer

It will probably take at least 4 years to build

So basically less than a dollar a month

That's probably worth opening up the government it's self in terms of getting the dollar level raised by not being in shutdown

Plus it's going through take a couple of years to get the full land access and planning permission so the Dems are not actually giving away anything in reality

I'm sure they know this but it's now basically a politically charged pisibg contest and I can't see trump backing down

ChaddyP

In reality, the shutdown isn’t Trump vs Dems. It’s Dems vs McConnell. The bill has already passed the Senate, it’s a GOP bill.

If McConnell wasn’t obstructing it, it’s got enough support in the senate to cruise through.
Would still need 2/3s of the house to override the veto. But I agree with you. The fight should be with mitch, not trump.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
As an outside observer I actually think he will get his wall
It's "only"
$6bn
There is around 150million tax payers in America

So what is it $40 per tax payer

It will probably take at least 4 years to build

So basically less than a dollar a month

That's probably worth opening up the government it's self in terms of getting the dollar level raised by not being in shutdown

Plus it's going through take a couple of years to get the full land access and planning permission so the Dems are not actually giving away anything in reality

I'm sure they know this but it's now basically a politically charged pisibg contest and I can't see trump backing down
There were debates on this when they did the fence in 2006, they came up with an estimate that upkeep on it would cost $20B over the next 10 years or so. So its not just a question of funding a wall that he is asking for, its also the upkeep that subsequently comes afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.