The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

USA= 400 million.
China= 75 million.

Why wouldn't the WHO guy answer the question on Taiwan? I don't get that at all.
First because Taiwan claims itself as The Republic of China officially and also claims The People's Republic of China as part of it and that they are the rightful owner of what we know as Communist China.
Second, the UN including the USA decided that Communist China is the rightful owner of what we know as China hence Republic of China ( Taiwan) cannot be a member of the UN and the one China policy.
WHO is a body of the UN. So according to the UN, Taiwan is not a member of any UN bodies.

Now if Taiwan gives up the claim on Communist China and declares itself as Taiwan, then maybe, just maybe some countries may accept that.

Abizzz

Ok, PRC bot.
While it's technically correct that his incompetence wouldn't have mattered if China had managed to contain it the incompetence itself is clearly Trump's problem.

Or do you also blame the hurricane for the aftermath of Katrina?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
While it's technically correct that his incompetence wouldn't have mattered if China had managed to contain it the incompetence itself is clearly Trumps problem.

Or do you also blame the Hurricane for the aftermath of Katrina?
What is this argument? You don't blame natural disasters but you can reliably blame dictators for covering up facts and subsequently causing a global pandemic that could have been contained within their borders with swift action and transparency.

Imagine how you and the rest of this forum would react if the pandemic had ensued with Bubba eating a rotten alligator in Northern Florida and Trump not informing the world.

Abizzz

What is this argument? You don't blame natural disasters but you can reliably blame dictators for covering up facts and subsequently causing a global pandemic that could have been contained within their borders with swift action and transparency.

Imagine how you and the rest of this forum would react if the pandemic had ensued with Bubba eating a rotten alligator in Northern Florida and Trump not informing the world.
I think the Bush response to Katrina and the Trump response to covid were similiar (at least in the beginning stages). They both tried to sit it out until it got too big. In Bush's defense Fema was beefed up afterwards, while Trumps response has been to cut WHO funding, after doing everything to dismantle the federal government and the agencies it relies on since day 1 in office. There is no knowing what it would have taken to contain this in China and I'm perfectly capable of being critical of both the Chinese and the American governments at the same time. I just feel the American government deserves a lot more blame at the current time to be perfectly honest.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think the Bush response to Katrina and the Trump response to covid were similiar (at least in the beginning stages). They both tried to sit it out until it got too big. In Bush's defense Fema was beefed up afterwards, while Trumps response has been to cut WHO funding, after doing everything to dismantle the federal government and the agencies it relies on since day 1 in office. There is no knowing what it would have taken to contain this in China and I'm perfectly capable of being critical of both the Chinese and the American governments at the same time. I just feel the American government deserves a lot more blame at the current time to be perfectly honest.
Trump isn't blameless, I've said that in the first post I was quoted. To say China is not culpable is revisionist history, which is where this argument began.

Foxbatt

Trump isn't blameless, I've said that in the first post I was quoted. To say China is not culpable is revisionist history, which is where this argument began.
Since when does another country is responsible for what happens in a foreign country?
When China says we don't use Huawei to tap or listen to American users Trump doesn't believe them. When they say we are not forcing companies to share trade secrets Trump doesn't believe them.
When they say we don't have a pandemic at this moment in time Trump believes them though his intelligence people and health professionals are telling him it probably would become a pandemic.
He can't have it both ways. It shows that he is an incompetent buffoon.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He's trying to generate revenue, trying to find solutions. It's a business after all. That is his job as a fight promoter. Not circumventing measures designed to stop people from infecting one another. There was a plan in place and it wasn't half assed.

Indian lands do not have the same rights or liberties as state or federal land. It's just not included.
Yes. But why is that to his credit? He couldn't hold his events normally because of measures to prevent people dying, so he trys to circumvent the restrictions putting lives at risk for money.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Since when does another country is responsible for what happens in a foreign country?
I don't even know what to say to this other than hope you are drunk or banged your head really hard against a pole.

When China says we don't use Huawei to tap or listen to American users Trump doesn't believe them. When they say we are not forcing companies to share trade secrets Trump doesn't believe them.
When they say we don't have a pandemic at this moment in time Trump believes them though his intelligence people and health professionals are telling him it probably would become a pandemic.
He can't have it both ways. It shows that he is an incompetent buffoon.
The GOP fecked up by dismantling a pandemic response team. How much of that is Trump's fault and how much of it is McConnell and co doing their slimy job is for anyone to guess.

When WHO, the organization the US, Europe and everyone else contributes to stay on top of global health emergencies was saying as late as January that there is no human to human transmission, people here were saying they were not being naive to trust China. Now when Trump doesn't act beforehand, its his fault for being naive. You can't flip flop when it suits you.

Foxbatt

I don't even know what to say to this other than hope you are drunk or banged your head really hard against a pole.

The GOP fecked up by dismantling a pandemic response team. How much of that is Trump's fault and how much of it is McConnell and co doing their slimy job is for anyone to guess.

When WHO, the organization the US, Europe and everyone else contributes to stay on top of global health emergencies was saying as late as January that there is no human to human transmission, people here were saying they were not being naive to trust China. Now when Trump doesn't act beforehand, its his fault for being naive. You can't flip flop when it suits you.
Did you actually read the WHO release? It said according to Chinese government at this time they ( Chinese) see no indication of transfer from human to human. At the same time they briefed the US officials that still it may transfer from human to human. Three days later WHO said now they can confirm it does transfer from human to human.
Trump fannied around for two months doing nothing but giving speeches saying it's flu and everything is under control while his officials were telling him no this is serious.
Trump had three and half years to submit a name to the WHO Executive Board. He fecked it. If he had at least he would know what is going on inside too. Trump is the president not the GOP. He could have funded the team in China for the USA to work with them so at least they have inside knowledge.
The man has no clue. He thinks he is as powerful as Putin or Rocketman. He is not a king and the USA is not a dictatorship. Not yet.

MTF

Damn, am I agreeing with @Foxbatt ? Strange times.

Is China culpable? Yes. Does that change anything now? No. China is an authoritarian and opaque state, but we know that already. That was true before this, that is true after this. This is about par for the course for them, so I didn't like the CCP before and I don't like them now.

But the one entity that has varying levels of response, that I believed could at times do the right thing is the US government. Having personnel in China that could monitor and assist in emerging health situations was smart, it had the potential to stop situations like these in their tracks. But you also need to have co-operation of the Chinese government. You're more likely to get that if you're willing to contribute resources to help China address these situations when they emerge. The opposite of the idiotic "America first". You're also probably in better standing with China if you're not conducting a trade war on inflammatory terms, with the US president badmouthing them on twitter or on speech every few weeks.

This is one of those "you fight the war with the army that you have" situations. If many of these diseases start in China but China isn't transparent, well you give them reasons to give you some transparency, and you work with them as best you can in the early stages. It helps absolutely no one to be sitting around now when tens of thousands have died, doling out blame to China and WHO and anyone else who didn't do a good enough job at containing this. It might have helped to be part of those early containment efforts. Maybe it wouldn't have either, but at least it had an infinitely greater chance of helping than the blame game does now.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Trump hats :lol:

Also the US flags. I just don't get it at all. Do they carry them all the time in case they forget which country they are in? It's absolutely batshit.
I had a co-worker whose favorite hat was a ball-cap with “Texas” in capital letters. I asked if he wore it in case he forgot where he was; he didn’t get the joke...

edcunited1878

Yes. But why is that to his credit? He couldn't hold his events normally because of measures to prevent people dying, so he trys to circumvent the restrictions putting lives at risk for money.
He's trying to work with all these state and federal limitations in order for business to operate, which happens to be the life and livelihood of people, in this case fighters and their teams. It's logical steps to try to make it happen. Nevada Sports Commission have banned sports and fighting due to crowds which is why the Indian reservation idea came up.

It's just like the Chinese Basketball Associaton trying to work within their restrictions to get basketball going again. They had team practices available for a day then closed it again.

They are trying to operate their business in calculated and measures ways. That is why they should be given credit, they are trying to find solutions. We cannot just sit on our hands and do nothing if you have the option.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A man on the brink of tears because he can't buy lawn fertiliser and another woman saying she needs to get her hair done...

I simply cannot understand America.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sqaure toed shoes. Good god they really are deplorable.
Those are steel-toe safety boots, one case where they’re acceptable. He‘s trying to show off his blue-collar credentials.

The faux pas is wearing them outside of a PPE area, because that’s just stupid. Like people in hard-hats behind Donald at a rally.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Those are steel-toe safety boots, one case where they’re acceptable. He‘s trying to show off his blue-collar credentials.

The faux pas is wearing them outside of a PPE area, because that’s just stupid. Like people in hard-hats behind Donald at a rally.
You can get round toed boots with steel toes, too. There's no excuse.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What a spontaneous demonstration.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The biggest and most socially accepted **** in the world.
The place doesn't even seem real to me.

In Ireland there is basically games of politeness chicken to see crosses the road first to maintain social distancing but over there they're roadblocking hospitals because they want to buy gardening supplies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Trump considered starting a talk radio show as coronavirus started to spread across the country

'On a Saturday in early March, Donald J. Trump, clad in a baseball cap, strode into the Situation Room for a meeting with the coronavirus task force. He didn’t stop by the group’s daily meetings often, but he had an idea he was eager to share: He wanted to start a White House talk radio show.

At the time, the virus was rapidly spreading across the country, and Mr. Trump would soon announce a ban on European travel. A talk radio show, Mr. Trump excitedly explained, would allow him to quell Americans’ fears and answer their questions about the pandemic directly, according to three White House officials who heard the pitch. There would be no screening, he said, just an open line for people to call and engage one-on-one with the president.

But that Saturday, almost as suddenly as he proposed it, the president outlined one reason he would not be moving forward with it: He did not want to compete with Rush Limbaugh.

No one in the room was sure how to respond, two of the officials said. Someone suggested hosting the show in the mornings or on weekends, to steer clear of the conservative radio host’s schedule. But Mr. Trump shook his head, saying he envisioned his show as two hours a day, every day. And were it not for Mr. Limbaugh, and the risk of encroaching on his territory, he reiterated, he would do it.'

(New York Times)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You can get round toed boots with steel toes, too. There's no excuse.
If you have square hobbit feet, those can be a pain in the ass.

More on topic, I don’t think we’re flipping Ohio back to blue this election cycle. It seems to be competing with Indiana for being the northernmost state that’s a part of the South.

Status
Not open for further replies.