The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Gutting to hear that.
I'm sure there will be thousands of cases like that.
I read about a lady who died of Common cold, just because she could not afford to see a doctor.
What kind of country is that?
A supposedly civilised one.

Dante

Average bang
I really think that was a vote against the political status quo of sorts.People are simply tired of the norm. I think the signs were there in the primaries when Jeb Bush was heavily trounced there.

Obama was really the start of the movement.He offered a hope of something different. I know Trump is part of the elite but in political terms he's a relative novice. The Democrats can learn to change candidates they offer to the public.
Yep. And once they realise the political status quo is better than the exact opposite, they'll be the better for it.

Ivor Ballokov

You get the government you deserve. I await to see the millions of Americans complaining about their healthcare again while crying to the media for a voice. It's the time I grab my popcorn and laugh as hard as I can.
Yeah enjoy your popcorn and watch this guy...

My roommate from college just posted a heartbreaking status on fb. After we graduated, he got into a car accident and won't ever be able to walk again. Therapy and surgery costs pushed his medical bills to above $1 million, which has all been covered by Obamacare.

Once it's repealed, he doesn't know how he's going to pay for his therapy and future medical costs.

Feck you, Donald Trump.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Has a president ever resigned without being forced to (i.e., apart from Nixon)?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Seems fairly clear to me that Dems now have to employ the same tactics that the GOP employed from 08 on.
Idk. The Democratic base tends to be less activist than the GOP.

Doubt just obstructionism will resonate with the Dem base the way it did with the GOP.

edcunited1878

By the way, folks talking about turnout being down - there are plenty of votes left on the west coast yet to be counted, final tally might be higher than 12.
Examine voter turnout in non-stranglehold blue states like Florida, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. Where Obama did exceptionally well in 2012 for voter turnout, Clinton did horrible. Clinton got 7 million less voters than Obama did in 2012. This needs to be examined deeply and understood what happened.

Neutral

BTV
They'd be within their right to filibuster after the Republicans' treatment of Obama since then.
Democrats are pussies. Republicans leading up to the this week were saying - there's nothing that says we HAVE to fill the Supreme Court seat. But, watch the Dems roll over and take it up the ass

MTF

Democrats are pussies. Republicans leading up to the this week were saying - there's nothing that says we HAVE to fill the Supreme Court seat. But, watch the Dems roll over and take it up the ass
Nice guys finish last, huh?

Neutral

BTV
Examine voter turnout in non-stranglehold blue states like Florida, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. Where Obama did exceptionally well in 2012 for voter turnout, Clinton did horrible. Clinton got 7 million less voters than Obama did in 2012. This needs to be examined deeply and understood what happened.
I know in places like North Carolina new voting restrictions - reduced early voting hours etc, resulted in a close to 10% dip in the african american vote. But, I still think that's secondary to the enthusiasm gap and candidate

The Firestarter

So much for polling industry going out of business. The problem was lack of quality state polls.

Neutral

BTV
Nice guys finish last, huh?
It's just how it is.

People were getting on Hillary for not conceding last night, yet they've all forgotten the stunt Trump and his ppl pulled in Nevada with the judge and the threat of mass litigation. Constant innuendo of voter fraud - rigged elections...

Of course, now that they've won - let's all gather round and sing kumbaya. Yet, I haven't forgotten their reaction to Obama.

Dante

Average bang
What if turns out to not be as bad?

There is a chance that this doomsday predictions don't necessarily come true.

That would inspire even more non-confirming candidates.
He's not clever enough to out-manoeuvre other world leaders.

edcunited1878

I know in places like North Carolina new voting restrictions - reduced early voting hours etc, resulted in a close to 10% dip in the african american vote. But, I still think that's secondary to the enthusiasm gap and candidate
Trump rallied the undecided vote and what's being called the Silent Majority came out and voted for Trump. But for a party's candidate to lose 7 million votes in only four years is staggering.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Idk. The Democratic base tends to be less activist than the GOP.

Doubt just obstructionism will resonate with the Dem base the way it did with the GOP.
Obstructionism alone won't, they need to completely rethink how they approach the upper midwest now (I think Reid again could be a good model to follow - a highly organised streetfighter with strong union links), but you also can't let the GOP get away with doing what they did for 8 years and not fight back in kind.
It's the 7m thing I'm not sure about. She definitely got less votes than Obama, but there are millions of votes outstanding, they can take weeks to get counted, and they're in Dem-heavy west coast states.

ravi2

Just read his victory speech and, feck me, what a rambling, incoherent mess that was. If it's indicative of his preparation (which, judging by the debates - it really is) this lunatic is going to be running the world on the hoof. What a mess.

The speech wasnt that bad, he read what his speechwriters wrote, which primarily was a message of unity. He didnt mean a word of it imo, but it wasnt bad.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Won't people stop making predictions.

He's got more support than people are willing to admit.

He still lost most of the miinorities and still won handily.
He got fewer votes than Romney. Hillary failed to fire her base

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Again, that's comparing two elections with every vote counted, with an election that has only 70% of California counted. Recheck it in a couple of weeks.

edcunited1878

Thank you Comey.
Need to examine the black voters who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012...where did that vote go. And how did people who voted for Sanders end up voting last night. And very evident those registered Republicans who voted for Obama didn't vote for Clinton and it was significant.

The Firestarter

Need to examine the black voters who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012...where did that vote go. And how did people who voted for Sanders end up voting last night. And very evident those registered Republicans who voted for Obama didn't vote for Clinton and it was significant.
Nowhere. It stayed at home.

Neutral

BTV
She was a terrible candidate. And to think, there were people who thought she'd not only win but also take a second term!
Everyone knew she was a deeply flaws candidate but that Republican line up was bad - in a weird way, Trump is why the republicans won - Ted Cruz wouldn't have defeated Hillary and Little Marco wouldn't have attracted those rust best working class whites.

Everyone kept thinking - people will come to their senses with regards to Trump - of course missing the connection he had created with voters across the country.

Drifter

American
It just occurred to me that, Steve Bannon will be one of the people running government.
STEVE FECKING BANNON!
You guys did not try.
That worries me more than anything.The alt right behind him. Bannon hates the Republicans as they stand.

Neutral

BTV
Those Latinos Hillary was going to ride to the white house...well she got their votes - close to 70%

But,

about 27 percent of Latinos voted for Trump. Exit polls from The New York Times put the figure at 29 percent.

This means that Trump did better with Hispanics than Bob Dole in 1996 (21 percent), and wound up comparable to Mitt Romney in 2012 (27 percent).
So, his immigration comments didn't really cost him with Latinos.

Drifter

American
To be a fly on the wall ,when Obama meets Trump for briefing.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Getting back to the title of the thread... I'm not an expert on US politics but from what I understand Trump is disliked as much by by the conservative establishment as he is by the liberal one. So, looking from a far he's either going to have to compromise with his republican party's backbone or he'll never get anything through the congress & senat. In other words, toe the line or be lamer than a duck with stage fright who can't swim or fly.
Another point, Trump lacks any kind of political experience which gives me the impression he won't have a clue what he's doing in office. I guess he'll need the support of experienced politicians in order to be effective.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Getting back to the title of the thread... I'm not an expert on US politics but from what I understand Trump is disliked as much by by the conservative establishment as he is by the liberal one. So, looking from a far he's either going to have to compromise with his republican party's backbone or he'll never get anything through the congress & senat. In other words, toe the line or be lamer than a duck with stage fright who can't swim or fly.
Another point, Trump lacks any kind of political experience which gives me the impression he won't have a clue what he's doing in office. I guess he'll need the support of experienced politicians in order to be effective.
He is not dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.