The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

decorativeed

Seeing the sentiment in other countries being so prevalent about the guy and then looking back here and knowing how many still voted for the guy definitely is bleak.
There are plenty of morons in Europe who would have voted for the prick too though, to be fair. The US doesn't have a monopoly on the aggressively uninformed and hateful general public.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I’ve always gotten the impression that Pence doesn’t really give a shit about any of this. He’s been virtually anonymous as VP.
He knew his role was to ensure the evangelical vote in 2016 and a token staunch republican presence. He likely knows his career is now a footnote in the annals of history, and not the good kind.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
None, but Trump lives by instinct and reaction. It would backfire immensely. Any department head following that direction will effectively end his/her public servant career.
Absolutely. Just like I laugh at those who say that the 14th. Amendment will save the country as if large swaths of the governmental bureaucracy will follow such an order.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
There are plenty of morons in Europe who would have voted for the prick too though, to be fair. The US doesn't have a monopoly on the aggressively uninformed and hateful general public.
Well that makes me feel a bit better - and yes Im aware - fortunately though it seems a lot of other countries have political structures that make it considerably harder/less necessary to cater to the extreme if only by virtue of having so many more political parties. There is way too little incentive to compromise in this country.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Number keeps going the wrong way...

Around a third of the young ones were babies or toddlers. feck me.

Amir

Well that makes me feel a bit better - and yes Im aware - fortunately though it seems a lot of other countries have political structures that make it considerably harder/less necessary to cater to the extreme if only by virtue of having so many more political parties. There is way too little incentive to compromise in this country.
If it makes it any easier, in Israel, Trump would have won in a landslide.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Re firing cia and fbi heads;
To what end though - Just to be vindictive and/or so he can grab some headlines and show some that he’s still the boss?

Foxbatt

Re firing cia and fbi heads;
To what end though - Just to be vindictive and/or so he can grab some headlines and show some that he’s still the boss?
Vindictive I guess. They refused him to disclose national security secrets and Esper refused to let him use the Military for campaign purposes and said that the military is not doing politics.

Abizzz

Hope there's some law Mcblondie is breaking by going out in a "personal capacity" while being a federal employee and talking about a federal election. Wouldn't mind seeing her do 2 decades in jail.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have no idea how he still has such a stranglehold on that party, there must be some mega-donors out there with a mandate that if you are in the GOP and don't cow tow to Trump, you won't see a penny again.

Red Stone

I have no idea how he still has such a stranglehold on that party, there must be some mega-donors out there with a mandate that if you are in the GOP and don't cow tow to Trump, you won't see a penny again.
It's a cult of personality. Too much of the Republican base has been brainwashed into seeing Trump as a demigod for them to just abandon him now. If they throw Trump to the curb a significant portion of their voters will revolt against them, and they'll probably never have a chance in an election again. Worst case for the GOP, Trump or one of his spawn runs as an independent and sucks up millions of their votes.

SirAF

Ageist
It's a cult of personality. Too much of the Republican base has been brainwashed into seeing Trump as a demigod for them to just abandon him now. If they throw Trump to the curb a significant portion of their voters will revolt against them, and they'll probably never have a chance in an election again. Worst case for the GOP, Trump or one of his spawn runs as an independent and sucks up millions of their votes.
Dream scenario.

InfiniteBoredom

Trump is not stupid enough to consider an independent run. He will forever dangle the threat of turning his cult against the GOP to force them to kowtow to him.

7/10 Republicans now consider the election to be not ‘free and fair’. He has them by the balls and he knows it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Trump is not stupid enough to consider an independent run. He will forever dangle the threat of turning his cult against the GOP to force them to kowtow to him.

7/10 Republicans now consider the election to be not ‘free and fair’. He has them by the balls and he knows it.
I probably agree. But he could EASILY sit as a 1% independent candidate from now until he dies. I don’t know if that immunises him against anything, producing tax returns maybe... But it’s free money for a grifter. Running every 4 years, constantly campaigning, holding rallies.

If he ran independently in 2024 he’d beat the Libertarian candidate vote count for this election.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Trump will end up damaging the Republicans for years to come.

If they select him as their 2024 candidate they'll lose. It'd be classic case of trying to re-run a race that they lost this time, except in 2024 Trump will be older, even more deranged and the demographics will have continued to shift further away from the Trumpite theme of stoking the grievances of white men. Moreover, he won the first time because many people didn't know exactly what they'd be getting , which won't be the case in 2024.

The GOP are in great danger of making the same mistake as Labour Party Corbynistas in the UK: mistaking a passionate hard core of support for evidence of popular support across the country.

And even if Republicans choose a different candidate for 2024, their brand has been damaged by Trump and his hard-core nutcase supporters. And having Trump holding regular rallies, which he is likely to do even out office, is going to be a continuing damage-dealing factor over the next few years.

SirAF

Ageist
Trump will end up damaging the Republicans for years to come.

If they select him as their 2024 candidate they'll lose. It'd be classic case of trying to re-run a race that they lost this time, except in 2024 Trump will be older, even more deranged and the demographics will have continued to shift further away from the Trumpite theme of stoking the grievances of white men. Moreover, he won the first time because many people didn't know exactly what they'd be getting , which won't be the case in 2024.

The GOP are in great danger of making the same mistake as Labour Party Corbynistas in the UK: mistaking a passionate hard core of support for evidence of popular support across the country.

And even if Republicans choose a different candidate for 2024, their brand has been damaged by Trump and his hard-core nutcase supporters. And having Trump holding regular rallies, which he is likely to do even out office, is going to be a continuing damage-dealing factor over the next few years.
I agree with much of what you're saying, but it's important to keep in mind that he received a significant higher amount of votes in 2020 compared to 2016 (+ 8.4 million as it stands now).

Last edited:

Kaos

I agree with much of what you're saying, but it's important to keep in mind that he received a significant higher amount of votes in 2020 compared to 2016 (+ 8.4 million as it stands now).
This is the key and worrying takeaway. Trump lost not because his electorate thought he did a bad job, but rather the Democrats turned out in record numbers to deny him a second term, namely minorities. This election is anything but a rejection of Trump's tenure, at best it just shows a widening divide for the country, with Trump nation feeling as enthusiastic as its ever been.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is the key and worrying takeaway. Trump lost not because his electorate thought he did a bad job, but rather the Democrats turned out in record numbers to deny him a second term, namely minorities. This election is anything but a rejection of Trump's tenure, at best it just shows a widening divide for the country, with Trump nation feeling as enthusiastic as its ever been.
This election was a validation of Trump. For 8m additional people to watch this four year run and say ‘That’s my guy’.... Horrifying.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
and that isn’t happening anytime soon

What an odd tweet. On the one hand it looks like it's appeasing the uber Trumpists, but then you read "until every LEGAL vote is counted" which implies that he accepts that legal votes are still being counted/nor does it suggest there are illegal votes still to be counted. This just reads like he wants all votes to be counted before the verdict is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.