The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
False quote which has been corrected on the Telegraph site.

Question now is why the blogger is refusing to delete the tweet or post a clarification. He's tweeted like 10 times since and knows its a false quote.
Righty ho.

Akshay

Staff
There's absolutely no way that someone like Trump doesn't accept evolution. Most church-going Christians accept evolution, let alone someone like him. I can't speak about the extent of his faith or whether it even exists, but this exchange between the Pope and a journalist a few months ago sums up my views.

http://www.romereports.com/2016/11/09/what-pope-francis-said-about-donald-trump
Just because some American Christians support him, it doesn't mean that we all share their views.
Oh for sure Penna. I didn't mean to say all Christians do, just that there are large segments of the evangelical Christian base in America who do, as well as US evangelicals who don't.

MTF

It falls under the requirement to follow any legal orders I believe, so what they will be looking at is the sometimes clear line and sometimes not so clear line as to what constitutes a legal or illegal order. It could also fall under their primary job of protecting the United States.

I keep feeling the Trump Presidency will not end peacefully, ideally a coup with the military leaders then immediately handing over power to the highest ranking official in the chain of succession who has not been arrested or otherwise removed from office or setting a new election to hand over power. Just the wild thoughts of a crazy American though.
Its just so hard to imagine because there's no precedent in US history... although many precedents in world history.

Silva

It's a really good interview if you completely ignore his ignorance on the rest of the World. How on Earth does he think America is different because they are so multi cultural?

Has he never left the States?
He's spent most of the last 2-3 decades working a demanding schedule in New York, it's likely he's not even been to many US states, let alone around the world.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Am I totally wrong in saying that beneath all the brawn and big words Trump is actually pretty liberal and towards the centrum of politics as opposed to most Republicans, like the bible basher Cruz etc?

I am not sure that any other Republican candidate would have vowed to keep parts of Obamacare, be pro state funded pensions, show acceptance towards the LGBT community and be pro-choice when it comes to abortions (to a certain extent.)

It is really just his immigration policies that can be considered truly far-right, isn't it? His avid support for protectionism and #americafirst isn't really classic right-wing causes.

ps: my post is mostly a question, even though it lacks question marks. I've not really taken the effort to study Drumpfs policies.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He's spent most of the last 2-3 decades working a demanding schedule in New York, it's likely he's not even been to many US states, let alone around the world.

Didn't he do a movie on Iraq spending a lot of time in the Middle East?

ghagua

So let me get this straight.
-The President-elect of the United States used Russia to influence the election.
-Is proven to discriminate against minorities as a landlord.
-Tries to circumvent federal law to get his son-in-law into the administration.
-Employs an extreme-right maniac for one of the top jobs in the White House.
-Mocked a disabled person during the campaign.
-Bragged about sexual harassment and infidelity during the campaign.
-Branded a billion muslims as terrorists or at the very least suspicious.
-Called Mexican immigrants rapists and drug dealers.

Now, I haven't mentioned the fact that he has no experience as a politician, that he bullies the press and that he is a vindictive cnut and a dodgy bastard as far as his businesses go. Why was this allowed to happen? How?

Can somebody explain to me how he could call anyone crooked and not be laughed out of town let alone get elected president? I just can't fathom it. I disagree that you have to give him a chance or that he will mellow, that it isn't so bad etc. By condoning that ogre you are condoning racism, sexism and islamaphobia. I have never been so shocked and upset by any political moment in my life. I fear for my children, I fear for values of liberty and equality and I fear the climate is fecked.
He got voted into the presidency by saying that he was going to ban Muslims and build a wall along the Mexican border. He managed to get millions of voters to come out and vote just for those 2 reasons alone. People who could have voted against him were lazy and apathetic and did not go out an vote. Many thought that Trump did not stand a chance of being elected, so did not go an vote.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It really is surprising that post election, he has been "normal" as in not making gaffes and ridiculous comments. Also seems to have watered down on most of his comments. Wall has become a fence, deportation force seems to be wavering. Excepting the Bannon appointment ofc.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's a really good interview if you completely ignore his ignorance on the rest of the World. How on Earth does he think America is different because they are so multi cultural?

Has he never left the States?
Exactly. It's not the only multicultural democracy let alone multicultural country.

Ubik

Everything about this picture is awful

prateik

Why the feck are they posting a photo of them taking a selfie and not the selfie?

Abizzz

Wasn't that the meeting where they had MAGA hats laid out for everyone though? Would be nice if they all refused to wear them.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"This toasting fork doesn't work..."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Why the feck are they posting a photo of them taking a selfie and not the selfie?
:lol:

Look at the fecking state of them. A sea of white, middle aged faces. No wonder the baby boomer twats made a mess of posting a selfie.

Ubik

They posted the selfie as well, but this one attracted extra ire from me due to the presence of the selfie stick.
Wasn't that the meeting where they had MAGA hats laid out for everyone though? Would be nice if they all refused to wear them.
That was a few days ago, probably taken them home to cherish.

Abizzz

They posted the selfie as well, but this one attracted extra ire from me due to the presence of the selfie stick.

That was a few days ago, probably taken them home to cherish.
Oh ok. For a second I had my hopes up :(

Ubik

I can't see him in the photo but they do have among their number Steve King, a man who keeps a Confederate flag on his desk. "Probably just proud of his southern identity", I hear you say. Problem there is he's from Iowa. Hmm.

GiddyUp

Should the US implement a one child policy until as the trump says "we find out what the hell is going on".

GiddyUp

I can't see him in the photo but they do have among their number Steve King, a man who keeps a Confederate flag on his desk. "Probably just proud of his southern identity", I hear you say. Problem there is he's from Iowa. Hmm.
He is a prick for sure.

GiddyUp

Imagine the majority of Black and Latino athletes from high school to professional went on strike until every republican representative from school board to president went on record condemning the recent actions of racism, xenophobia and bigotry by trump supporters.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Am I totally wrong in saying that beneath all the brawn and big words Trump is actually pretty liberal and towards the centrum of politics as opposed to most Republicans, like the bible basher Cruz etc?

I am not sure that any other Republican candidate would have vowed to keep parts of Obamacare, be pro state funded pensions, show acceptance towards the LGBT community and be pro-choice when it comes to abortions (to a certain extent.)

It is really just his immigration policies that can be considered truly far-right, isn't it? His avid support for protectionism and #americafirst isn't really classic right-wing causes.

ps: my post is mostly a question, even though it lacks question marks. I've not really taken the effort to study Drumpfs policies.
I don't think using categories like 'liberal', 'conservative', 'isolationist', etc. are a reliable way to assess Trump - he doesn't seem to have any kind of coherent or consistent positions on the big issues.

However two things seem clear to me - he enjoys populist adulation, which leads him to say what the crowds want to hear and to make promises off-the-cuff and worry about the consequences later, and he seems in awe of power, especially of the 'tough guy' and military varieties (I doubt he has much of a clue about the concept of 'soft power').

Will Absolute

I've asked you this before and I'm pretty sure you dodged it, but how can you know how Obama has been portrayed by the media at large in the US when you live in Ireland? Maybe you see a bit of coverage here and there but I watch a lot of news and read newspapers here and see lots of cable news coverage. Obama got a rough ride from everybody when he fecked up and has had OTT demonization from the right for his entire presidency.

So what are your sources of news?
I wasn't dodging, just averse to writing a long, tedious post explaining something that's clear cut. As an American you may not be fully aware how widely distributed your media is outside the US - particularly in the English speaking world.

USA TODAY is sold on Irish newsstands. The same holds for Time and Newsweek. The NYT and Washington Post are freely available online, as is The Los Angeles Times.

As for American television, I've got a full Sky package with over a hundred channels. Both CBS and NBC evening news programs have been broadcast for decades. The 24 hour news channels are there - CNN, FOX, and Bloomberg. Plus CNBC. Kodi was a significant addition to the list: it had all the American networks, although I haven't checked it recently.

American issues also get extensive coverage in the British and Irish media.

Factor in the ubiquity of American fictional TV. Minority quotas, the ideological rules governing the participation and depiction of black and female characters are visible there. The American cultural debate is naked and obvious. Quite similar ideological impositions are to be found in Irish and British television.

It's possible to form a clear, if limited, impression of the American zeitgeist without setting foot on US soil.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Imagine the majority of Black and Latino athletes from high school to professional went on strike until every republican representative from school board to president went on record condemning the recent actions of racism, xenophobia and bigotry by trump supporters.
Hockey season just started up.

Status
Not open for further replies.