Music The Ultimate Metal thread.

Nearco

youth team player
Some albums that everyone must listen at least once (recent ones) :

-Metallica : Death Magnetic
Once was enough. It`s really average.I can`t understand why people bother with them anymore. There are so many better metal bands out there nowadays.
One of them, a band that really excites me at the moment is a post-metal band from Philly called Rosetta. They`re so `post` metal that Metal-Archives.com refuse to list them, claiming their song structures do not fit any metal genre. They`re still heavy as feck mind. Love the riffage and the vocals on this track.

Werewolf

Once was enough. It`s really average.I can`t understand why people bother with them anymore. There are so many better metal bands out there nowadays.
I bet you are one of those who thinks he is a true metalhead, those annoying elitist who think that by bringing obscure bands they are truly underground....

Anyone who doesn't recognize the influence and power of a band such as Metallica is truly fooling himself. Sure St Anger was a mistake, sure the Black album, Load and Reload weren't Thrash Metal albums, but at least for their 4 first albums and for their last effort they should be respected, they have influenced many of the bands that are appearing now.

And by the way, the Black Album,Load and Reload are great albums.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
Some albums that everyone must listen at least once (recent ones) :

-Mastodon : Crack The Skye
-Opeth : Watershed
-Metallica : Death Magnetic
-Meshuggah : Obzen
-Exodus : The Atrocity Exhibition....Exhibit A
-Amon Amarth : Twilight of the Thunder God
-Cynic : Traced in Air
-Motorhead : Motorizer
-Eluveitie : Slania
Those two have been playing non stop the last week for me:). Agree with the rest as well, eluveite was surprisingly good, was hooked on it for weeks.

Just got into cobalt as well, recommend everyone give it a listen for those into blackened/thrash war metal. Similar to wolves in the throne way. In a way

Nearco

youth team player
I bet you are one of those who thinks he is a true metalhead, those annoying elitist who think that by bringing obscure bands they are truly underground....
Not really. I`m not denying Metallica`s influence, and I was a huge fan back in the day - but their best albums (Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets) were made over twenty years ago. It just baffles me when I see 20 year olds in Metallica t`shirts when they`re better bands out there. I nominated Rosetta as I think they`re a truly special band - but I could just as easily have said Isis or Neurosis. Neither of whom are underground in the slightest.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
Not really. I`m not denying Metallica`s influence, and I was a huge fan back in the day - but their best albums (Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets) were made over twenty years ago. It just baffles me when I see 20 year olds in Metallica t`shirts when they`re better bands out there. I nominated Rosetta as I think they`re a truly special band - but I could just as easily have said Isis or Neurosis. Neither of whom are underground in the slightest.
If you like potst rock I suggest you give 'Mouth of the Architect' a spin, bloody good stuff. Agalloch and Grayceon are two others that spring to mind immedeatly for those interested in post-rock/metal or ambient

Werewolf

Well, that is subjective (even St Anger has some fans). And a lot of people rate Death Magnetic as th best album since the Black Album, in the same league as the first four.
I agree with you that there must be better bands out there at the moment, but people just got the habit of constantly bashing Metallica without any objectivity that it is becoming ridiculous.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
I started listening to The Sword a couple of months ago when I heard that they were going to be the opening act for Metallica on the World Magnetic tour. That's when I saw them live aswell when they were opening for Metallica in Stockholm. They play 70s Metal sort of. Very interesting band.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I love Sword!! I heard them the first time when I was playing Guitar Hero on the playstation, then I got all their stuff. A really cool band!

Member 39557

I like the Sword, some of the lyrics are a bit naff but they have some great music behind them.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff

Disturbed - Sons Of Plunder, pretty sure this fits somewhere into metal but if not - sorry!

And of course this masterpiece of sheer rock brilliance.

Member 39557

And of course this masterpiece of sheer rock brilliance.
I was lucky enough to see them play the whole album live at Donnington to mark the 20th anniversary :devil:

Almost made up for missing Down :(

But I saw down last year at brixton which made up for it :-)

Nearco

youth team player
Well, that is subjective (even St Anger has some fans). And a lot of people rate Death Magnetic as th best album since the Black Album, in the same league as the first four.
I doubt very much whether any of those people saw them with Cliff on bass. For me they were never the same after his death.

Werewolf

I doubt very much whether any of those people saw them with Cliff on bass. For me they were never the same after his death.
I agree that Cliff's death was a heavy loss for the band. However, Metallica have always done what they wanted without trying to please fans, they do this for themselves so no matter how "unmetal" their work has been after AJFA, they deserve respect for doing what they wanted, and not trying to stay in one fixed category.
Now, I consider Cliff as the best bass player ever, and I agree that with him, God knows what epicness they would have produced.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Some of my favorites. I must warn you, I like quite a bit of different stuff within the metal category (Just not Death metal). Lot's of different sound volumes on these vid's, be ware.

Metallica - No Leaf Clover

The next might be a very controversial choice considering how popular it is to dislike Metallica these days, but this has turned into one of my favorites.

Metallica - All Nightmare Long

(Perhaps even more controversially, I liked almost all of Death Magnetic. I know, I must not be a true metal fan!)

Next up, my two Disturbed favorites. There are some songs that almost make it all the way up, but these are the ones I like the most.

Disturbed - Stricken

Disturbed - The Curse

Sonata Arctica - The Cage

Within Temptation - The Howling (Ignore the strange video, I always do. Metal.)

Nightwish (I do! :() - Crimson Tide Instrumental

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Kamelot - Serenade

DragonForce - Black Winter Night

DocRockter

Katatonia - Murder (Live with Mikael Åkerfeldt)

Katatonia - Criminals

Going to see them tomorrow. It's my first time and all the guys that have seen them are saying I'm going to see the best show of the year. The songs I´m waiting to hear are "Evidence", "Criminals(above)" , "Right Into The Bliss" and "Omerta".. The albums are great and I believe the gig will be as well.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
i like 70s and early 80s metal for the fact that it had a dramatic concept to it. sabbath, priest, maiden et al all proclaimed in dramatic style the battle between 'good' and 'evil' and a fascination with the occult, and the listener was always projected through the aid of lyrics and satanic type power riffs into supporting the dark side.

by the 70s concerts were popular, but with the with the hierarchy of the metal bands came a new phenomenon - the stadium rock horror show. the lights, the stage sets, animated projections, costumes all gave the audience a visual accompanyment to the horror soundtrack, and it worked.

i don't know as i haven't listened to any metal for many years, but has it changed ? obviously the sound has moved on and evolved, but is the concept still the same, good v evil, death, occultism etc ?

Nearco

youth team player
i don't know as i haven't listened to any metal for many years, but has it changed ? obviously the sound has moved on and evolved, but is the concept still the same, good v evil, death, occultism etc ?
No. More real world topics are covered lyrically these days.

El B

Kylesa - Hollow Severer

Russian Circles

Also would listen to-
Slipknot (is that allowed?:nervous:)
Metallica
Torche
Machinehead
Helmet
Kyuss (dont know if they count as metal or more Hard Rock)
Pantera

Been listening to Mastodon and Gojira due to recommendations in this thread.
Any other suggestions appreciated. Cheers

Kaos

Kylesa - Hollow Severer

Russian Circles

Also would listen to-
Slipknot (is that allowed?:nervous:)
Metallica
Torche
Machinehead
Helmet
Kyuss (dont know if they count as metal or more Hard Rock)
Pantera

Slipknot and Machinehead are certainly NOT metal, sorry for the elitism :).

p.s. Kyuss - as good as they are, are also strictly speaking not metal.

El B

Aye they're a throwback to when i was 16/17. Still dig them out every now and then.
Kyuss aye i never can tell with them, Pantera are another one im not sure if they're metal or hard rock, same as white zombie and black label society. feck it, all good shit anyways. But i must get more metal to listen to. Ive generally been listening to a while lot of instrumental stuff these days, like Russian Circles and 65Days of Static. And a Irish band called And So I Watch You From Afar. Great band, debut album is just out. Anybody likes heavy instrumental music should check them out.

Edit

Just found a video on youtube

And so i watch you from afar - a little solidarity goes a long way

Live they are heavy as feck

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
A Thread I Am Good At ....

Emmure - When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong

The Red Shore - Flesh Couture

Suicide Sielnce - Unanswered

The Black Dahlia Murder - Funeral Thirst

Nearco

youth team player
Well, if you like Russian Circles and 65daysofstatic you`re kinda going down the post-rock/metal route and I would definately recommend Rosetta and Mouth of the Architect. The former are very heavy but not considered metal in some quarters. Their entry in http://metal-archives.com/ was removed awhile back.

Also, the best releases of the year for me are the new Sunn 0))) and Blut aus Nord records. The latter are very left field kind of avant-garde black metal band. The new album seems more accessable to me. The Sunn 0))) has some incredibly heavy riffage.

El B

Well, if you like Russian Circles and 65daysofstatic you`re kinda going down the post-rock/metal route and I would definately recommend Rosetta and Mouth of the Architect. The former are very heavy but not considered metal in some quarters. Their entry in http://metal-archives.com/ was removed awhile back.

Also, the best releases of the year for me are the new Sunn 0))) and Blut aus Nord records. The latter are very left field kind of avant-garde black metal band. The new album seems more accessable to me. The Sunn 0))) has some incredibly heavy riffage.
Sweet I'll look it up and get back to you. Anyone listen to any hardcore at all? Blood Brothers(Well earlier stuff), Refused, Sick of it all? Might need a thread for that

Kaos

What was that black metal band that played only bass guitars, im thinking it was Necromantia?

relx

Frnkie Sys
Sweet I'll look it up and get back to you. Anyone listen to any hardcore at all? Blood Brothers(Well earlier stuff), Refused, Sick of it all? Might need a thread for that
Gospel had an awesome album - The Moon is a Dead World. It's a shame that was the only album they recorded, so far I haven't encountered any bands that had a similar sound to them. Talented musicians, especially their drummer.