Music The Ultimate Metal thread.

arthurka

Isn’t it spirit crusher around 3.00 and 30 seconds forward?
No there is a similar bass riff in the middle of Scavenger and in the begining of spirit crusher . I just love this album and Death were absolutely fantastic live ..

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
No there is a similar bass riff in the middle of Scavenger and in the begining of spirit crusher . I just love this album and Death were absolutely fantastic live ..
Later this year is the 20th anniversary of their concert in Chile. (first and only time in South America)

The Sound of Perseverance was played pretty much complete. My favourite Death's album, and definitely in my top 3 ever. Masterpiece for me.

I remember Richard Christy's drums were falling apart and some staff guy had to stand there for the whole show holding the shit together. The concert was almost called off. uff..

Chuck is GOD! not google

arthurka

Later this year is the 20th anniversary of their concert in Chile. (first and only time in South America)

The Sound of Perseverance was played pretty much complete. My favourite Death's album, and definitely in my top 3 ever. Masterpiece for me.

I remember Richard Christy's drums were falling apart and some staff guy had to stand there for the whole show holding the shit together. The concert was almost called off. uff..

Chuck is GOD! not google
I fully agree .. Chuck just took a genre that he helped create and continued to expand it with his musical experiment and made so great .. I just think on that album everything came together..

Oaencha

The new Amorphis song is incredible.

Crunchy guitar riff..? Check
Catchy synth melody..? Check
Powerful, guttural growling..? Check
Strong clean vocals..? Check
Lyrics about bees and dead kings..? Check
Trippy video..? Check

Ainu

On this day, 30 years ago, this piece of musical history was released. IMHO, the greatest heavy metal album of all time...

Still sounds as fresh as the first time i listened to it, amazing stuff.
Such an incredible album. They were pretty progressive at this point. Shame it would all start falling apart with the next album, but that run of albums up to and including Seventh Son was absurd. And yeah, Moonchild itself is fecking amazing. Of all the times I've seen Maiden, the greatest opener was probably in 2013 with Moonchild. First the spoken words, then the keyboards building up anticipation and the band bursting onto the stage when the vocals kick in. Magical moment. I don't think their music will ever feel old.

King_Eric

The new Amorphis song is incredible.

Crunchy guitar riff..? Check
Catchy synth melody..? Check
Powerful, guttural growling..? Check
Strong clean vocals..? Check
Lyrics about bees and dead kings..? Check
Trippy video..? Check

I opened this thread just to post this as well. One of the best new metal tracks I've heard in a while.

Ainu

I went to the incredible Roadburn festival last week and saw too many amazing shows to keep track of. One that deserves a special mention was Bell Witch's Mirror Reaper played in full on Saturday. As some of you may know, this is an 83 minute, extremely slow doom metal song, punctuated with silent moments and rarely heavy compared to most doom metal acts. It's a difficult but almost cathartic song to sit through.

Imagine it being played at 14:00 on a sunny day with temperatures reaching almost 30C, in a hall packed with 1000 people. Yet from the moment the first note was played until the final tone nearly 1.5 hours later, those 1000 people didn't make a single sound. Barely anyone moved a muscle (except for some old back and forth with the head of course) in those +- 90 minutes, everyone was completely captivated. In some 15 years of going to metal shows and festivals, I've never experienced anything like it and I doubt I ever will again.

As for the rest of the festival: absolutely brilliant. It explores the boundaries of heavy and dark music and beyond. So many experimental and unique shows. I cannot recommend it enough.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I went to the incredible Roadburn festival last week and saw too many amazing shows to keep track of. One that deserves a special mention was Bell Witch's Mirror Reaper played in full on Saturday. As some of you may know, this is an 83 minute, extremely slow doom metal song, punctuated with silent moments and rarely heavy compared to most doom metal acts. It's a difficult but almost cathartic song to sit through.

Imagine it being played at 14:00 on a sunny day with temperatures reaching almost 30C, in a hall packed with 1000 people. Yet from the moment the first note was played until the final tone nearly 1.5 hours later, those 1000 people didn't make a single sound. Barely anyone moved a muscle (except for some old back and forth with the head of course) in those +- 90 minutes, everyone was completely captivated. In some 15 years of going to metal shows and festivals, I've never experienced anything like it and I doubt I ever will again.

As for the rest of the festival: absolutely brilliant. It explores the boundaries of heavy and dark music and beyond. So many experimental and unique shows. I cannot recommend it enough.
Jealous! Amazing album/song. Doom is my jam, and this is among the very best I've heard. Was it just the two of them performing it, or did they have some guest musicians on as well? The album sounds like there's more than just two guys playing on there at times.

Love this album. Underrated IMO. The first three get all the plaudits, this one is often forgotten about. So many great riffs on this.

Ainu

Jealous! Amazing album/song. Doom is my jam, and this is among the very best I've heard. Was it just the two of them performing it, or did they have some guest musicians on as well? The album sounds like there's more than just two guys playing on there at times.
Just the two of them indeed, bass and drums. They did have a third artist on stage for the clean vocals in the second half of the song, sounded like the same one as on the studio version.

If doom is your thing, you would've had a field day at Roadburn.

The Bloody-Nine

Love this album. Underrated IMO. The first three get all the plaudits, this one is often forgotten about. So many great riffs on this.
After Clandestine it's my favourite Entombed album. F*cking awesome.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just the two of them indeed, bass and drums. They did have a third artist on stage for the clean vocals in the second half of the song, sounded like the same one as on the studio version.

If doom is your thing, you would've had a field day at Roadburn.
Crazy. I was so sure there was some guitar on that album. He's definitely doing something to make that bass sound like a guitar, it's great either way. Every time I listen to it, I hear something in there I didn't hear before.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Just recently found this album, think i have listened to it 3-4 tims non-stop now.
Never heard of the band before, but will definitely check out their previous records.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Chuck bless! his birthday was a couple days ago.

Also, today its been 8 years since another god, RJD, passed away.

Legends, may them rock in peace.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

On the way back from work i picked up my Amorphis, Ihsahn & At The Gates CDs which will keep me busy during the weekend.:drool: I also purchased three more albums that i really wanted to get. First one is Progressive Death Metal in the vain of Amorphis (they're Finnish, after all) and it's AOTY material for me:

The second one more is more upbeat, more extreme and not easily categorized but once you get past the harsh vocals, which are not for everyone, there's a lot of good music in there to be enjoyed:

The third one is softer and more rock-oriented and i really have to thank YT suggestions for discovering it. Ibelieve the guitar work and the production are truly amazing. Here's a taste:

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I read it as Ultimate meal thread and was genuinely confused where the food was.

Grylte

Her voice!!!!!!!
Omg, i am in love.

The best bit is at 1:10'ish :drool:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Crazy. I was so sure there was some guitar on that album. He's definitely doing something to make that bass sound like a guitar, it's great either way. Every time I listen to it, I hear something in there I didn't hear before.
Probably signal splitting to two rigs, one being more of a guitar setup. With high pass, and low pass filters so only certain ranges are going to either rig.

Most bass/drum combos do it like that. Or like Billy Sheehan who has his neck pickup going to a clean amp and his bridge to a distorted one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My wife's a big fan of Sabaton and Reckless Love. Anyone know them?

I'm not into metal myself, so I have no idea where they stand in the metal spectrum :)

Grylte

My wife's a big fan of Sabaton and Reckless Love. Anyone know them?

I'm not into metal myself, so I have no idea where they stand in the metal spectrum :)
I don't know Reckless Love, but Sabaton is alright. I'm no expert on genre, but it sounds like viking metal'ish.

I like this song, and i bet she does aswell ;)

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Power Metal is one of my favorite Genres but Sabaton is pretty weak.

There are so many better bands out there that would deserve to be more known.

Some examples:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Absolutely. In fact, I posted that very song a few pages back. I love that album.
Ah ok, did not look past the last 2 pages.

Generally speaking Swedish OSDM is my second favorite genre after (Prog) Power Metal. I recently ordered 10 CDs from Mr Rogga Johansson himself.
Revolting's new Album is killer.

Also just preordered the new Down Among The Dead Men:

My other 2 favorites for 2018 might be LIK and Demonical.

Later this year will see a new Album by Feral - here an older song:

The Bloody-Nine

The Haunted albums ranked by my fine self:

1. rEVOLVEr
2. Made Me Do It
3. One Kill Wonder
4. Self Titled
5. Exit Wounds

The rest.