Music The Ultimate Metal thread.

DocRockter

The new Ghost (Prequelle) is basically a glorified EP.. "See The Light" is the crown and maybe "Miasma" and "Pro Memoria" after that one but not enough for actually buying a physical copy.. Going to see them live next week, hopefully Miasma with the sax solo is in the setlist..

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm not immediately sold but I keep getting pushed towards Thou. I'm getting there but let me know what you think about their latest:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'm not immediately sold but I keep getting pushed towards Thou. I'm getting there but let me know what you think about their latest:

This one didn't do much for me at first but it's slowly growing on me. I'm not a big fan of noisy drone, so i admit that i'm anticipating Inconsolable and Rhea Sylvia (the first will be acoustic and the second more grunge-like) with more excitement. But i'll definitely be getting a physical copy of Magus in late August/early September. The first taste from the upcoming LP, The Changeling Prince, sounds amazing. Their last two full-length albums (Summit & Heathen), if you can even call them that since their length doesn't differ much from their EPs, were real gems in an already outstanding discography.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Love Thou. Definitely one of my favourite bands. To me, they're so consistent, given they have such an enormous body of work. 3 new releases this year is crazy, but the two that are out already are really great.

Reading reviews of Thou, the vocals seem to put people off, but I love them. Blackened Doom needs to be more of a thing.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This one didn't do much for me at first but it's slowly growing on me. I'm not a big fan of noisy drone, so i admit that i'm anticipating Inconsolable and Rhea Sylvia (the first will be acoustic and the second more grunge-like) with more excitement. But i'll definitely be getting a physical copy of Magus in late August/early September. The first taste from the upcoming LP, The Changeling Prince, sounds amazing. Their last two full-length albums (Summit & Heathen), if you can even call them that since their length doesn't differ much from their EPs, were real gems in an already outstanding discography.

Love Thou. Definitely one of my favourite bands. To me, they're so consistent, given they have such an enormous body of work. 3 new releases this year is crazy, but the two that are out already are really great.

Reading reviews of Thou, the vocals seem to put people off, but I love them. Blackened Doom needs to be more of a thing.
A mate of mine loves them, he's been hammering the acoustic stuff recently and I've absorbed it through osmosis. He saw them in Manchester the other week and during a chat with Matt Thudium at the merch table found the latter is not much of a fan of Dax Riggs' vocal style (much to the former's chagrin!). I was busy that night anyway but I should have wised up and got down there.

Heathen's a great shout, one of those I vastly prefer listening to in full rather than picking out single tracks from. Plenty of light and shade (mostly shade it must be said) to enjoy.

Verbalkint

Big big shout out to whoever named Batushka on this thread awhile ago. I don't remember who it was but thanks a ton man, it's an incredible band!

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

RIP Vinnie Paul :(... Say hello to Dimebag for all of us.

Still can't believe that the only time Pantera included my part of the world in their tour schedule, they pulled out because of 9/11. It still hurts that i never got the chance to see them live.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
About 30 minutes until Slayer steps out into the midnight sun. Perhaps they'll do a Pantera cover.

Very excited.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Think i'm in love!

She has some good covers, and she is of course Norwegian :drool:

Think i could listen to this version of Carolus Rex all day.

Good old Amorphis

Werder Herzog

Don't know if you would class this as metal, its more in the vain of Zepellin , it was one of the very first tracks Fenriz of Darkthrone chose in his own bible of songs (can find whole playlist on youtube i believe)

Personally into most forms of metal although will never get into Deicide or Cannibal Corpse, love me some Opeth, Death, Entombed, Enslaved.

Himannv

Used to be a huge Black Metal fan. Was listening to the usual suspects in the genre: Darkthrone, Satyricon, Mayhem, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Emperor, Immortal, Bathory, etc. I don't listen to music much at all nowadays though. Just sort of moved away with time.

Grylte

New Slipknot song, i think it sounds a bit like their first album.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Saw Monuments at Damnation last weekend and although it's not my usual stuff I was so impressed with their live energy I went to the Manchester show yesterday too. I like the new album, it reminds me of my nu-metal youth (clean/growled singing, confessional lyrics) but the playing is doubtlessly a step up. However live is where it's for these lot, a bit of a heavier sound in person and the front man has charisma to burn.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I am making my debut as 'Eddie' for Northern Ireland's newest Iron Maiden tribute band this evening.

Ainu

Just came across this gem:

Absolute batshit crazy avant-garde black/death metal. Obvious comparison would be Deathspell Omega but it particularly reminds me of London by Voices (another masterpiece). I think this may be my album of the year.

Sick drummer as well, watching this makes my brain melt:

Classical Mechanic

Saw Monuments at Damnation last weekend and although it's not my usual stuff I was so impressed with their live energy I went to the Manchester show yesterday too. I like the new album, it reminds me of my nu-metal youth (clean/growled singing, confessional lyrics) but the playing is doubtlessly a step up. However live is where it's for these lot, a bit of a heavier sound in person and the front man has charisma to burn.
Only listened to it a couple of times but thought their last album was better. Origin of Escape is just an awesome track.

Classical Mechanic

Nice one, I hadn't heard any of their older stuff other than from the two shows.
If you like that ambient djenty style then Tesseract’s Altered State album is well worth a listen. I think it’s one of the best albums from the tech metal scene.

Periphery are kings of the scene. Chris Baretto the singer from Monuments was in them in the early days. All their albums from P2 onwards are great.

Ainu

I can't put into words how much I love YOB. Having recently seen them again live, there's no doubt in my mind they're one of the greatest doom metal acts there's ever been, especially live. Their music touches every fibre of my being and never fails to leave a lasting impact. This masterpiece from their 2018 album Our Raw Heart is my song of the year:

Kapardin

Just got around to listening to this. Another of Roman Saenko's side-projects, with more than a snatch of Hate Forest. Solid album.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

IMO one of the best Black Metal songs ever made. Made by a mate of mine who I grew up with, who sadly died too young. Him\Windir and Dimmu Borgir were the first to make synth a legit part of true Black Metal (Windir classed their music as Viking Metal).

Ainu

IMO one of the best Black Metal songs ever made. Made by a mate of mine who I grew up with, who sadly died too young. Him\Windir and Dimmu Borgir were the first to make synth a legit part of true Black Metal (Windir classed their music as Viking Metal).
You knew Valfar? The guy is still a bit of a legend in that folky/viking black metal scene. Can't stand a lot of folk/viking metal but I've always enjoyed Windir. He had the gift of creating brilliant, melodic riffs without sounding saccharine, with this one being my favourite:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
You knew Valfar? The guy is still a bit of a legend in that folky/viking black metal scene. Can't stand a lot of folk/viking metal but I've always enjoyed Windir. He had the gift of creating brilliant, melodic riffs without sounding saccharine, with this one being my favourite:

Yeah I knew Valfar, we grew up roughly at the same place in Sogn.

Yeah, the one I pasted, the one you pasted + Arntor, ein Windir are their three best songs in my opinion.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Puppy’s full length debut is finally out and it’s pretty fecking good. Anyone else a fan?

Acole9

Outstanding
Puppy’s full length debut is finally out and it’s pretty fecking good. Anyone else a fan?
I'm a fan, I haven't listened to the album yet though. Plenty of good reviews and praise though. Seen them live a few times as well.

Grylte

Just recently discovered these guys, damn... this might be one of the very best songs i have ever heard!
And this live version might even be better than the album.