Music The Ultimate Metal thread.

Verbalkint

Not sure if i've posted this before but do give this one a listen:

I recently stumbled upon Equilibrium and this track stunned me. Some majestic composition this, with flute solos and violin bits. Please try :)

The Bloody-Nine

My favourite album opener.

And Vomitory featuring Johan from Amon Amarth.

And Vomitory featuring L.G Petrov from Entombed.

Sorry, I'm a shill. :(

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I live for a good MOsh and Anthrax was never gonna disappoint.

Last night was fecking epic

ps. also took home FRank Bello's pick. :D

Ainu

Been listening a lot to the latest Pain of Salvation album In the Passing Light of Day recently. I know it's already over a year old but I only just got round to listening to it. For some reason Pain of Salvation were never really on my radar. I honestly don't know how I managed to miss them all that time. It's a magnificent album, full of emotionally charged songs and interesting ideas. It's quickly become one of my favourite records from 2017.

This opening song has it all: killer riff, brilliant rhythmic section, softer parts and then that beautiful, soaring melody at the end. It's perfect.

Kapardin

Been listening a lot to the latest Pain of Salvation album In the Passing Light of Day recently. I know it's already over a year old but I only just got round to listening to it. For some reason Pain of Salvation were never really on my radar. I honestly don't know how I managed to miss them all that time. It's a magnificent album, full of emotionally charged songs and interesting ideas. It's quickly become one of my favourite records from 2017.

This opening song has it all: killer riff, brilliant rhythmic section, softer parts and then that beautiful, soaring melody at the end. It's perfect.

Great band, plays Prog without losing its' soul like Dream Theater. Nothing beats Perfect Element or BE, absolutely classic albums. Seen them live too, Daniel was a scream.

pure evil :drool:
Oh yes. Thanks for reminding me, been a year or so since I listened to them.:drool:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I enjoyed Trivium's latest release

They get a lot of stick but when it comes to song writing I think they are one of the best acts in metal.
Too much elitism in the metal community, i just ignore them and listen to songs and bands i like.
I think Trivium have many decent songs, maybe i should check the new album out.

Grylte

Been listening alot to Kalmah lately, they got some amazing songs.
Finnish melodic death metal <3

Verbalkint

Been listening alot to Kalmah lately, they got some amazing songs.
Finnish melodic death metal <3

Terrific band ! I loved their older stuff and used to listen to them a lot. Bird of ill omen was my favorite :)

Some other great stuff - Kill the Idealist, Hades, My Nation, Principle Hero, Bitter Metallic Side ...all smashing tracks!

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
This thread is the shit.

I've just had the I album on repeat since like Christmas day basically. Just a terrific album.

Grylte

I'm signing off. It doesn't get much better than Lindberg doing Slayer.

First time i heard of them, were at a festival i was going to, when they just came out of retirement.
Was a brilliant concert. I think Cold is my favourite song.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

This thread is the shit.

I've just had the I album on repeat since like Christmas day basically. Just a terrific album.

Fantastic album from start to finish and very underrated in the metal community. I remember that i got this on CD for only 5 Euros at a record store that was closing and was selling everything at the lowest prices. It also shows that if you're willing to look beyond his funny and cult image, Abbath really knows how to write good riffs. His latest album was also worth its money.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Truth be told i wasn't expecting much from the new Judas Priest album, therefore Firepower was a pleasant surprise. It certainly can't look their very best albums in the eye but it's their best work since Painkiller and if it ends up to be their farewell album, it's a damn good one. And this track, in particular, is fecking awesome:

Ainu

First time i heard of them, were at a festival i was going to, when they just came out of retirement.
Was a brilliant concert. I think Cold is my favourite song.
I discovered them when I just got into extreme metal around 2002 and being immediately captivated by Slaughter of the Soul. I remember thinking back then what a shame it was I never got the chance to see them live. Same with Immortal. Then they both came out of retirement in 2008 and played at Graspop which is just a 20 minute drive from where I grew up at that time. What a fantastic summer that was!

I recently discovered a Swedish band named Hällas, who're playing at a festival I'll be attending soon. They play a very 70's style of hard rock / heavy metal which sometimes weirdly sounds like later Iron Maiden warped back to an older style of music like Deep Purple, Uriah Heep or Thin Lizzy. Some prog influences as well. I can't stop listening to it.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Fantastic album from start to finish and very underrated in the metal community. I remember that i got this on CD for only 5 Euros at a record store that was closing and was selling everything at the lowest prices. It also shows that if you're willing to look beyond his funny and cult image, Abbath really knows how to write good riffs. His latest album was also worth its money.
It absolutely is a terrific album. The riffs are the best thing about all of Abbath's work for me. I can't get enough of them.

I discovered them when I just got into extreme metal around 2002 and being immediately captivated by Slaughter of the Soul. I remember thinking back then what a shame it was I never got the chance to see them live. Same with Immortal. Then they both came out of retirement in 2008 and played at Graspop which is just a 20 minute drive from where I grew up at that time. What a fantastic summer that was!

I recently discovered a Swedish band named Hällas, who're playing at a festival I'll be attending soon. They play a very 70's style of hard rock / heavy metal which sometimes weirdly sounds like later Iron Maiden warped back to an older style of music like Deep Purple, Uriah Heep or Thin Lizzy. Some prog influences as well. I can't stop listening to it.

I'm listening to this album now. It's really cool actually, i wasn't sure initially but i've got into it now and it's certainly an interesting fusion of styles. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Star Rider is an absolutely magnificent song too though. Great stuff.

Last edited:

baskinginthesun

Any of you heard of Leo Moracchioli? He does heavy metal covers of songs. While it doesn't quite meet the standards of thrash or black metal it is cool to listen to songs like "No Diggity" in metal music.

While it is quite generic you have to give the guy credit for being talented and making this happen.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

On this day, 30 years ago, this piece of musical history was released. IMHO, the greatest heavy metal album of all time...

Still sounds as fresh as the first time i listened to it, amazing stuff.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
On this day, 30 years ago, this piece of musical history was released. IMHO, the greatest heavy metal album of all time...

Still sounds as fresh as the first time i listened to it, amazing stuff.
This was my first cassette ever. Went to the record store with my dad and he let me choose any cassette i wanted... picked this one. I guess an animated Eddie holding his heart with his hands was attracting. I was like 7 years old.

After listening a couple of days, the cassette disappeared. I think my Mom throw it away because the church was powerful in my country back then (late 80's), so in the mass media, Iron Maiden was portrayed as satanic.

I went onto listening to a lot of different types of music growing up, but luckily, by age 15 i was already back to heavy metal.

Anyway, crazy it's been 30 years. What an album, will be forever one of my favourites.