The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimaginative_name

That certainly is an unpopular opinion.
He was awful in his last season, and just about held his own next to a worldie like Vidic or Ferdinand. Always had a massive ricket in him, the City 6-1 being the best example.
Evans was sent off early in the second half when the score was 0-1, how was is his fault? He's certainly better than Jones, Rojo and Smalling. Evans is miles better on the ball than all these three, better at defending too. Not sure about Bailley, but Blind is probably the one better than Evans.

RooneyLegend

Van aanholt is the most underrated player in the league and is offensively better than any fullback in the world.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We're better than Liverpool and Spurs, and a poor pre-season, combined with a few draws that should really have been wins is what gave them a lead on us.

But by February we'll be above them in the PL.
fecks sake.

This is what worries me. The groundless optimism. We've played well recently but we've dropped points to Burnley (not won away), Stoke (only their second point of the season) and West Ham (just conceded five away)

We have already conceded an incredible amount of points. For us to overtake Liverpool by Feb we would have to win pretty much every single game and that doesn't look likely based on two wins in ten.

SomeRandomPerson

We're heavily rumoured to but I hope we don't get Antoinne Griezmann next summer. He's one of my favourite players but there is no way we can fit him into the team without playing our best players out of position. We should focus on getting the best out of Mkhitaryan, Mata and Pogba and instead look to get in someone to play the Carrick role of shielding the defence and spreading play from deep.

fecks sake.

This is what worries me. The groundless optimism. We've played well recently but we've dropped points to Burnley (not won away), Stoke (only their second point of the season) and West Ham (just conceded five away)

We have already conceded an incredible amount of points. For us to overtake Liverpool by Feb we would have to win pretty much every single game and that doesn't look likely based on two wins in ten.
Since when has unfounded optimisim about United been something you of all people oppose? You've changed, man :nono:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I don't want unfounded optimism to be unrealistic. We can have a very good season from here but to get top four would be an incredible accomplishment. Let's look at where we are now and make realistic targets. To get a cup and be in Europe next year would be a great start.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We're heavily rumoured to but I hope we don't get Antoinne Griezmann next summer. He's one of my favourite players but there is no way we can fit him into the team without playing our best players out of position. We should focus on getting the best out of Mkhitaryan, Mata and Pogba and instead look to get in someone to play the Carrick role of shielding the defence and spreading play from deep.
Agree. Very sensible, AG would be the glamorous signing but a replacement for Carrick would be the best thing for us next year.

Kag

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Van Gaal's sideline demeanour. Staying calm and taking notes is perfectly fine and in no way reflects a lack of passion or commitment to the job. In fact it's the best way for a manager to carry himself for the vast majority of the time.
One of the better entries in here. Spot on.

sinicalypse

Supports
Woolwich Wanderers
If I was able to go to an Arsenal game at the Emirates I'd want to embrace a little WWE [Wrestling] style and hold up a sign that that says [Joel] "Campbell Section" -- that's right: I'm a Joel Campbell Guy!

Basically, the ethos of being a "Joel Campbell Guy" is that you really hate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, not just because he's generally useless, but because he essentially got all of the opportunities that your guy Joel could/should have got. One day I stumbled across a cartoon caricature of Joel Campbell so I decided to load up photoshop and have a little fun with it:

There's not too much you can do when Arsene just doesn't rate you. *shrug*

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If I was able to go to an Arsenal game at the Emirates I'd want to embrace a little WWE [Wrestling] style and hold up a sign that that says [Joel] "Campbell Section" -- that's right: I'm a Joel Campbell Guy!

Basically, the ethos of being a "Joel Campbell Guy" is that you really hate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, not just because he's generally useless, but because he essentially got all of the opportunities that your guy Joel could/should have got. One day I stumbled across a cartoon caricature of Joel Campbell so I decided to load up photoshop and have a little fun with it:

There's not too much you can do when Arsene just doesn't rate you. *shrug*

Holy shit.

MartialsBeard

We play the best football in the league by a long way when it clicks.

Chelsea are the most consistent hence their position but most of their goals are individual moments and generally fall under standard finishing and team play.

City flatter to decieve and cant seem to solidify their Pep style he doesnt have the level of player he needs for tika taka and whats more is it diesnt seem to work on a consistent basis. whats more I consider their style very boring to watch.

Liverpool or Arsenal play the next best football to watch Liverpool with their 100mph style is exciting and Arsenal play that beautiful intricate game its great to watch.

But us man when we are in full flow Umited attack is something else to behold. we have technical build up but when we are on the break its devestating. I love watching us play at the moment.

CM

I don't want unfounded optimism to be unrealistic. We can have a very good season from here but to get top four would be an incredible accomplishment. Let's look at where we are now and make realistic targets. To get a cup and be in Europe next year would be a great start.
What did you do to get the name change? :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Evans was sent off early in the second half when the score was 0-1, how was is his fault? He's certainly better than Jones, Rojo and Smalling. Evans is miles better on the ball than all these three, better at defending too. Not sure about Bailley, but Blind is probably the one better than Evans.
Maybe it's due to the fact he got sent off, BEFOR half time, that we went on to lose so easily...
We'll have to agree to disagree on Smalling v Evans. For me, Smalling is stronger, quicker, better in the air, better in one on ones, and by far a different standard.

Robbie Boy

Van aanholt is the most underrated player in the league and is offensively better than any fullback in the world.
He's utter shite defensively and a massive liability. Take a quick look over at the main Sunderland forum and they aren't overawed by him. He's fun for opposition fans to watch and is good going forward but there's no way I would want him a team that I support.

RooneyLegend

He's utter shite defensively and a massive liability. Take a quick look over at the main Sunderland forum and they aren't overawed by him. He's fun for opposition fans to watch and is good going forward but there's no way I would want him a team that I support.
Even though he's not the best defensively, he's not exactly a train smash and big clubs barely defend all the time like the little ones do. Look at Marcelo who's a poor at defending yet is probably rated as one of the best fullbacks around.

Robbie Boy

Even though he's not the best defensively, he's not exactly a train smash and big clubs barely defend all the time like the little ones do. Look at Marcelo who's a poor at defending yet is probably rated as one of the best fullbacks around.
He really is extremely poor defensively a-lot of the time. The Sunderland fans will testify to that. Apparently had his best game for Sunderland (defensively) at the weekend (http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/van-aanholt.1303915/), so maybe he's improving in that department. Take a look at this thread from November 19th (3 nil win over Hull in which he got an assist) http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/pva.1299077/. For me, he's fun to watch, but as I said, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a team that I support. I feel he would be far more suited to a system like Conte's, which would give him more freedom and less defensive responsibility.

As for Marcelo, I used to think he was a bit wank years ago but he's actually a very good defender and just immense going forward.

Church o Choccy

Bringing on Fellaini to defend a 1-0 lead away from home when the opposition have a powerful 6'3" striker isn't the worst idea in the world and there are worse players in our squad than Marouane.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Pogba is the main reason United have played poorly this season. Not Fellaini. Not the many other scapegoats.

Herrera is nothing special & wouldn't make the bench for any Top 4 club.

David Luiz has been the best CB in the League this season & his mentality/toughness/leadership/quality is something United desperately need.

Robbie Boy

Pogba is the main reason United have played poorly this season. Not Fellaini. Not the many other scapegoats.

Herrera is nothing special & wouldn't make the bench for any Top 4 club.

David Luiz has been the best CB in the League this season & his mentality/toughness/leadership/quality is something United desperately need.
This isn't a bias post at all...

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Zlatan is still a great goalscorer; however, his lack of speed and inability to hold the ball are costing us. Personally, I feel our best team has either Martial or Rashford up front, not Zlatan.

RooneyLegend

He really is extremely poor defensively a-lot of the time. The Sunderland fans will testify to that. Apparently had his best game for Sunderland (defensively) at the weekend (http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/van-aanholt.1303915/), so maybe he's improving in that department. Take a look at this thread from November 19th (3 nil win over Hull in which he got an assist) http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/pva.1299077/. For me, he's fun to watch, but as I said, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a team that I support. I feel he would be far more suited to a system like Conte's, which would give him more freedom and less defensive responsibility.

As for Marcelo, I used to think he was a bit wank years ago but he's actually a very good defender and just immense going forward.
Playing for small clubs is difficult especially in defence. especially when playing in a team with a coach who cant organise the team defensively(or a coach whom the team hasn't totally adjusted to from a system standpoint). The whole Sunderland defence has gone up a level in recent weeks. Even Kone who's pretty good looked a donkey at the back not so long ago. One thing I know is that Van Aanholt isn't terrible in 1 v 1's and basically only suffers from positional ill-discipline. At serious clubs that doesn't happen anywhere near as often as the smaller ones.

Marcelo is nowhere close to being a good defender. Many wide players have taken the mickey out of him (i.e Navas). Just this season Gilson Matins made a mockery of him.

Andersons Dietician

That Zlatan is a hinderence to the squad and how it plays and we would have been better off buying a mobile striker or even Lukaku if Jose wanted a big man up top.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Zlatan is still a great goalscorer; however, his lack of speed and inability to hold the ball are costing us. Personally, I feel our best team has either Martial or Rashford up front, not Zlatan.
I agree. Sadly we are going to have to put up with this for all of this season and likely most of next season given how close Zlatan and Jose are personally.

Rawls

I agree. Sadly we are going to have to put up with this for all of this season and likely most of next season given how close Zlatan and Jose are personally.
Yesterday, I felt that we should have taken off Zlatan and either moved Martial or Rashford up front. Then I realised that Zlatan probably wouldn't have tolerated being substituted. In a way, this reminds me of Rooney over the last few years; it becomes clear and obvious that he isn't good enough anymore yet he still continues to start.

Robbie Boy

Playing for small clubs is difficult especially in defence. especially when playing in a team with a coach who cant organise the team defensively(or a coach whom the team hasn't totally adjusted to from a system standpoint). The whole Sunderland defence has gone up a level in recent weeks. Even Kone who's pretty good looked a donkey at the back not so long ago. One thing I know is that Van Aanholt isn't terrible in 1 v 1's and basically only suffers from positional ill-discipline. At serious clubs that doesn't happen anywhere near as often as the smaller ones.

Marcelo is nowhere close to being a good defender. Many wide players have taken the mickey out of him (i.e Navas). Just this season Gilson Matins made a mockery of him.
Guess this is why this is the unpopular opinions thread. I've just given you threads with the players own fans calling out his lack of defensive capabilities, which are abundantly clear to anyone with a set of eyes.

As for Marcelo, I have nothing really to say, other than you're wrong.

I'm all out of PVA discussions for the day so we shall leave it there.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Yesterday, I felt that we should have taken off Zlatan and either moved Martial or Rashford up front. Then I realised that Zlatan probably wouldn't have tolerated being substituted. In a way, this reminds me of Rooney over the last few years; it becomes clear and obvious that he isn't good enough anymore yet he still continues to start.
Yep we have just managed to phase Rooney out of the first 11 and now Jose has gone and lumbered himself with another aging immobile player who often hinders our attacking play.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
This isn't a bias post at all...
Unpopular opinion thread chief. Don't expect you to agree with it.

Pogba is supremely gifted but his individualistic, showboating style of play isn't leading to winning football. He's the ultimate luxury player at this stage of his career rather than a foundation to build upon. You need two new midfielders for him to reach his peak level.

Herrera is just bang average & I've held that opinion for years. I've seen nothing in recent weeks to make me change my mind. Is he better than any of Can/Lalllana/Henderson, Fabregas/Kante/Matic, Gundogan/Fernandinho/De Bruyne, Cazorla/Coquelin/Xhaka? No would be the answer.

Luiz is the one that's understandably controversial given he's a meme but I always been a huge fan of him & rated him highly. Is he perfect? No. But he's an elite footballer, leader & far less error prone than people given him credit for.

Robbie Boy

Pogba is supremely gifted but his individualistic, showboating style of play isn't leading to winning football. He's the ultimate luxury player at this stage of his career rather than a foundation to build upon. You need two new midfielders for him to reach his peak level.

Herrera is just bang average & I've held that opinion for years. I've seen nothing in recent weeks to make me change my mind. Is he better than any of Can/Lalllana/Henderson, Fabregas/Kante/Matic, Gundogan/Fernandinho/De Bruyne, Cazorla/Coquelin/Xhaka? No would be the answer.

Luiz is the one that's understandably controversial given he's a meme but I always been a huge fan of him & rated him highly. Is he perfect? No. But he's an elite footballer, leader & far less error prone than people given him credit for.
Yeah don't agree with any of it.

Rawls

I'd say that Herrera is definitely better than Coquelin. Playing Coquelin usually means that Arsenal have to play another more technically-gifted players out of position e.g. Ramsey. He offers solid defensive abilities but his passing leaves a lot to be desired.

SirMattBugsby

:yawn: Love watching van Aanholt. Especially when he makes those diagonal runs cutting through the entire pitch. Maybe it's his brain telling him he should play on the right wing :lol:

Robbie Boy

I'd say that Herrera is definitely better than Coquelin. Playing Coquelin usually means that Arsenal have to play another more technically-gifted players out of position e.g. Ramsey. He offers solid defensive abilities but his passing leaves a lot to be desired.
His original comment was that he "wouldn't make the bench for any top 4 club". Midfielders on the bench for the top 4 clubs this weekend: Fernando, Yaya Toure, Elneny, Ejaria, Alexander-Arnold and Chalobah. Yeah I think Herrera would definitely get in ahead of plenty of those.

SirMattBugsby

Wow. I agree with everything you said.

I had considered Luiz playing middle of a back three as a catastrophe waiting to happen. But the extra responsibility seems to be bringing out the best in him. Human psyche works in strange ways..

Rawls

His original comment was that he "wouldn't make the bench for any top 4 club". Midfielders on the bench for the top 4 clubs this weekend: Fernando, Yaya Toure, Elneny, Ejaria, Alexander-Arnold and Chalobah. Yeah I think Herrera would definitely get in ahead of plenty of those.
I think "wouldn't make the bench for any top 4 club" is something of an overstatement. Look, I don't particularly agree with him on the issue of Herrera's quality but I understand why he would say that he wouldn't start for a top 4 club. However, to say that he wouldn't even make the bench for another top 4 club seems to be hyperbole just for the sake of hyperbole.

iKeano

Bringing on Fellaini to defend a 1-0 lead away from home when the opposition have a powerful 6'3" striker isn't the worst idea in the world and there are worse players in our squad than Marouane.
No there are not.
There are no worse players in the Premier League than Fellaini. I would prefer to see Sam Johnstone as a defensive midfielder with 10 minutes to go than that ineffective, tall, aerially challenged liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.