g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedNed77

Rashford isn't all that. Quick, with average skills and hit a purple patch last year that he'll never regain, which mask his lack of ability as a footballer. Yes he's a local lad and we all want a local lad to be playing for our side, but personally I'd rather have a good foreign than a bang average local lad. He's basically a Mancunian Gabby Agbonlahor.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Rashford isn't all that. Quick, with average skills and hit a purple patch last year that he'll never regain, which mask his lack of ability as a footballer. Yes he's a local lad and we all want a local lad to be playing for our side, but personally I'd rather have a good foreign than a bang average local lad. He's basically a Mancunian Gabby Agbonlahor.
Agree with almost everything said here. Very overated. Scored some goals last year but didn't provided anything this year since the City game when he came on, made 10 good mins and nothing then.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
It is way too early to tell who'll make top 4 at the end of the season.
Chelsea will be champions
City and Liverpool will be contenders
Arsenal will fight for the 4th place but are better, and better placed than us and Spurs.

The 8 points lost against Burnley, Stoke, West Ham and Arsenal are too much now

RedNed77

Agree with almost everything said here. Very overated. Scored some goals last year but didn't provided anything this year since the City game when he came on, made 10 good mins and nothing then.
Hmm, I must try harder to form an unpopular opinion. I thought that one would be a sure fire winner with the amount of love he gets on here. I really want him to be great but I'm always underwhelmed when I watch him.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
You guys are so quick, young talents tend to have a very difficult second season, just like our own Martial. Rashford has been moved from the 9 position to the wing, where he hasnt played in years. It doesnt suit his game anymore and he's clearly out of position. He was very good up front last season, scoring regularly, working hard, working the defence, good link up play with Martial, Lingard and Mata and scored some very good goals doing that. It's so easy to say he's overrated after he's been shunted out on the wing now in the role of some defensive winger.

CM

He scored a few good goals but the majority of them were scrappy tap ins which is what a lot of people were criticising Chicharito for only doing. He certainly got the numbers up though.

Is he as good as some people make out? No. Some people act like he's a gauranteed future-world class star just because Monaco were rumored to put a Ballon d'Or bonus in his contract. It doesn't really mean anything. We have a buyback clause on Bebe for example.

I would still start him on the LW but I can't help but feel Memphis has been shafted in favor of him. It's not like Martial is setting the world alight with his performances this season, so how is it that Memphis can't get an opportunity?
Because Memphis has been almost exclusively crap, save for a couple of dead rubber Europa League games and that Champions League qualifier last season.

Josep Dowling

I think this is a little harsh. Whilst I agree when he has played wide he has been woeful. However anytime he has played his natural ST position he has looked better.

Problem is with the current form of Zlatan there will be no opportunity for him upfront.

No coincidence we have looked better when we have used players in their actual postions the last few weeks.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Arsenal will fight for the 4th place but are better, and better placed than us and Spurs.

That can surely happen but only time will tell. :)

RedNed77

You guys are so quick, young talents tend to have a very difficult second season, just like our own Martial. Rashford has been moved from the 9 position to the wing, where he hasnt played in years. It doesnt suit his game anymore and he's clearly out of position. He was very good up front last season, scoring regularly, working hard, working the defence, good link up play with Martial, Lingard and Mata and scored some very good goals doing that. It's so easy to say he's overrated after he's been shunted out on the wing now in the role of some defensive winger.
I get what your saying about second season syndrome. But with Martial his actual football ability is still evident. His close control is there along with some composure in front of goal when presented with a chance. Attributes that I'm just not convinced that Rashford has. Martials big issue seems to be mental which given his personal circumstances and his age is forgivable and something you can see him turning around. Rashfords issues I'm just not sure are so easily fixed.

Edit: reminds me of Welbeck, close to being a good player but just not quite got it.

Reactions: Penna

Esquire

I get what your saying about second season syndrome. But with Martial his actual football ability is still evident. His close control is there along with some composure in front of goal when presented with a chance. Attributes that I'm just not convinced that Rashford has. Martials big issue seems to be mental which given his personal circumstances and his age is forgivable and something you can see him turning around. Rashfords issues I'm just not sure are so easily fixed.

Edit: reminds me of Welbeck, close to being a good player but just not quite got it.
I hope you are wrong mate. Like Rashford but you are right he has been very underwhelming. But huge difference between him and Welbeck. Rash clearly has better finishing skills

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Rashford hasn't got the technical skills of Martial, who also already had a man's body at 19. Rashford is clearly still growing, what he does have is a better brain and the type of aggressiveness you need in an attacker. He is still earning his trade but I think we have two top talents in our ranks just geared differently.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Herrera is a 6.5-7/10, this is is a good as he gets. Saying that I've been very happy with his performances the season.

Fully Fledged

In the last 5 games we have got 13 points Liverpool have got 10 and Arsenal and Spurs have got 9. We are not out of it by any means.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Rashford isn't a better talent nor prospect than Januzaj, not even close.

People got over excited last year when he hit his purple patch of goals and started claiming he was a better talent than Adnan which was/is nonsense.

Adnan is a naturally far more talented player than Rashford who just need to sort the mental side of his game, things very common and extremely important when it comes to players of Januzaj ilk. To bring forth the talent the confidence must be there.

Rashford's struggles on the other hand are more to due with lack of abilities rather than mental. Kids like Adnan and Martial (this season so far) have all the abilities in the world but when the confidence desert them they suffer.
Rashford is a type of player who need to hit a purple patch and score goals(he gets himself in great position which is a strength to be fair) but he lacks that technical ability on the ball to make one say he is a talented prospect like a Januzaj or Martial.

ypsipeos

Valencia is one of the worst right backs we ve seen wearing the MU shirt in the last 30 years. He is a constant non threat for the opposite defenders. Just give him space and he kills the attack with a "cross", also known as Valencia's brick-throwing in the box.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Rashford isn't a better talent nor prospect than Januzaj, not even close.

People got over excited last year when he hit his purple patch of goals and started claiming he was a better talent than Adnan which was/is nonsense.

Adnan is a naturally far more talented player than Rashford who just need to sort the mental side of his game, things very common and extremely important when it comes to players of Januzaj ilk. To bring forth the talent the confidence must be there.

Rashford's struggles on the other hand are more to due with lack of abilities rather than mental. Kids like Adnan and Martial (this season so far) have all the abilities in the world but when the confidence desert them they suffer.
Rashford is a type of player who need to hit a purple patch and score goals(he gets himself in great position which is a strength to be fair) but he lacks that technical ability on the ball to make one say he is a talented prospect like a Januzaj or Martial.
Agreed.

Oscie

Valencia is one of the worst right backs we ve seen wearing the MU shirt in the last 30 years. He is a constant non threat for the opposite defenders. Just give him space and he kills the attack with a "cross", aka as Valencia's brick throwing in the box.
When I see posts like this it awakens the nagging feeling in the back of my head:

Are we full of praise for Valencia because in comparison with what we expect from Valencia he's doing very well, or are we praising Valencia because he's performing to the high standards expected of a right-back at a top club such as ours.

I'm hoping it's the latter but can't help but think that in our heads whenever we lavish praise on him, the unspoken words '...for Valencia' are added in our head.

e.g

Valencia played really well today for Valencia

I'm surprised how well he's doing at right-back for Valencia

etc.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Valencia is one of the worst right backs we ve seen wearing the MU shirt in the last 30 years. He is a constant non threat for the opposite defenders. Just give him space and he kills the attack with a "cross", aka as Valencia's brick throwing in the box.
:lol::lol::lol:

Oscie

We're really crap at player songs now. I think De Gea is the last one to get a really distinctive and memorable chant and even that's a bit crap.

Oscie

I don't know. People who seem to act like someone's condoned paedeophilia because someone has a different view on a player than they do, always winds me up more than people who have different views on different players than I have.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Nonsense. Valencia is the best right back we've had since Neville in his prime and is one of the best full backs in the league.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
When I see posts like this it awakens the nagging feeling in the back of my head:

Are we full of praise for Valencia because in comparison with what we expect from Valencia he's doing very well, or are we praising Valencia because he's performing to the high standards expected of a right-back at a top club such as ours.

I'm hoping it's the latter but can't help but think that in our heads whenever we lavish praise on him, the unspoken words '...for Valencia' are added in our head.

e.g

Valencia played really well today for Valencia

I'm surprised how well he's doing at right-back for Valencia

etc.
I agree to an extent. I think ypsipeos's appraisal is harsh but it's clear Valencia relies on his beastly athleticism much more than any footballing or positional skill. I've been impressed with his performances this season but as soon as his ability to beast opposition wingers and get up and down the pitch starts to wane he will very quickly be found wanting.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nonsense. Valencia is the best right back we've had since Neville in his prime and is one of the best full backs in the league.
Can't find the guy's original nonsense post, so i'll post on yours instead.
Agree with you, in the last 30 years there has been G Nev as a quality player. Wes Brown had a good season there, P Nev filled in at times, Rafael had a good couple of seasons.
But it's hard to say this season's Valencia is necessarily worse than any of those if we take G Nev out, especially for attack. Perhaps only Rafael offered more attack than Valencia.

He might not necessarily provide numbers for assists, but he's such a great outlet, up and back with ferocious power. Would anyone prefer Darmian there? Thought not

Jaybomb

I really hate how English fans "English up" some of the Foreign players names.

Ronaldo "Ronnie"
Evra "Paddy"
De Gea "Dave"
Firmino "Bobby"
etc

Its cringeworthy and I don't like it.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I just don't understand all the hype about Martial. Out of the 17 goals he scored last season, there were maybe 2 or 3 nice ones. The rest were very straight forward goals you expect any good forward to score. He is a good player no doubt, and a good finisher, but ballon d'or worthy? I don't think so personally. When you compare the quality of his goals to someone like Dybala's goals, the difference is very vast. I don't think that Martial has the technical ability to be the best player in the world.

OL29

I just don't understand all the hype about Martial. Out of the 17 goals he scored last season, there were maybe 2 or 3 nice ones. The rest were very straight forward goals you expect any good forward to score. He is a good player no doubt, and a good finisher, but ballon d'or worthy? I don't think so personally. When you compare the quality of his goals to someone like Dybala's goals, the difference is very vast. I don't think that Martial has the technical ability to be the best player in the world.
Well I think the excitement was more to do with the combination of dribbling ability and end product he showed. 17 goals and 11 assist (our top scorer and joint highest assist maker) whilst playing mostly from the wings is a very good total for any wide player in this league. It's not far off the numbers Hazard achieved when he was PFA player of the year.

When you take into account his age, the fact it was his first season for us and the potential to improve further, is it really a surprise that there was a lot of hype?

This isn't the first time I've seen someone try to downplay how good Martial was last season, I guess it's true footballers have short memories.

Jib

Dybala became a star simply because he was connected with Pogba.

Portugal currently have the best collection of U-23 players in the world.
Portugal have a fantastic young generation but better than France ?

Last edited:

Oscie

I quite like You'll Never Walk Alone.

I know, I know...Scousers, etc. But objectively it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up at times. Wish we had something like that.

Dobbs

Can't find the guy's original nonsense post, so i'll post on yours instead.
Agree with you, in the last 30 years there has been G Nev as a quality player. Wes Brown had a good season there, P Nev filled in at times, Rafael had a good couple of seasons.
But it's hard to say this season's Valencia is necessarily worse than any of those if we take G Nev out, especially for attack. Perhaps only Rafael offered more attack than Valencia.

He might not necessarily provide numbers for assists, but he's such a great outlet, up and back with ferocious power. Would anyone prefer Darmian there? Thought not
His power and speed have convinced plenty he's good in attack. He's really not. As soon as he gets on the ball there's a problem. Yesterday Pogba put him in a great position a couple of times. By the time he's dithered the opportunity has gone. Then comes the hopeful chip or smash.

On the flip side he's defensively very good. However to get back to the top we'll need a new RB.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Portugal have a fantastic young generation but better than France ?
I know they have a few U-17 players that are brilliant and I haven't watched enough of them, so it's possible that they're better. But I think a few of their young players are overrated.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
became a star simply because he was connected with Pogba.
If it was that simple to be a star I wonder why Marchisio is still largely ignored and underrated.

Being from Argentina and having a similar playing style to Messi is what made Dybala popular, as well as scoring a lot of wonderful goals.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I really hate how English fans "English up" some of the Foreign players names.

Ronaldo "Ronnie"
Evra "Paddy"
De Gea "Dave"
Firmino "Bobby"
etc

Its cringeworthy and I don't like it.
I like saying 'Dave Saves', but yeah it is a bit silly.

I know, I know...Scousers, etc. But objectively it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up at times. Wish we had something like that.
I dislike the song and am glad we don't have one, although if I were a Liverpool fan I'd probably love singing YAWN.

ypsipeos

His power and speed have convinced plenty he's good in attack. He's really not. As soon as he gets on the ball there's a problem. Yesterday Pogba put him in a great position a couple of times. By the time he's dithered the opportunity has gone. Then comes the hopeful chip or smash.

On the flip side he's defensively very good. However to get back to the top we'll need a new RB.
Thank you!
100% agreee. I feel you said the same things with kinder words. We are Manchester United. We need a far better full-back.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
We're really crap at player songs now. I think De Gea is the last one to get a really distinctive and memorable chant and even that's a bit crap.
Agreed.

It's a good song, but the version Liverpool insist on playing is awful - so dreary, mawkish and horribly sung. When you hear the song performed at events like the Proms then you really appreciate just how good the actual song can be. I still try to avoid listening to it though, naturally :D

ypsipeos

Vieira = Keane = Gerrard

Can't really choose between them. All of them, huge leaders and great players. It just happens that Keane had Fergie on his side. And some of the most consistent top-class midfielders ever around him.

Remember, we are on the unpopular opinion thread.

predator

Youth NITK
I will probably be lambasted for the following two opinions but here goes...

I think Paul Scholes is overrated by a lot of football fans. Not just United fans tbf because I've heards ABU fans rate him very very highly. There was a massive surge in people claiming him as the best thing ever when he retired, and a few greats praised him which led to an impressive compilation of quotes. Imho I think there is a good argument that Gerrard and Lampard, especially the former, are better all round footballers. Don't get me wrong Scholes was an amazing midfielder, one of the best ever in the Prem. I do however think many peoples views on him are slightly distorted by the pros which highly rate him.

Mkhitaryan's goal against Sunderland wasn't as good as some claim. It was a great finish and ridiculous technique but I've seen players score similar types of volleys from harder angles. I think because it's quite a unique finish it will potentially rank highly on goal of the season but I've already seen a few goals this season which I believe were more difficult to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.