The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
At a pub I used to work at we had really long lines to the cellar for some reason and my manager used to get really annoyed that I’d pour a pint or two off before I served the first customer of the day. Couldn’t get it through her head that I’d either pour it off and have a happy first customer or dont and the pint will come back our way anyway because it’ll taste like shite
You were doing God’s work.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
A biscuit?! Pfft. In Ireland you get a half pint of Guinness. Not joking. Full of iron apparently.
Yeh well I ate my bodyweight in chocolate orange Club biscuits, so swings and roundabouts innit.

Fluctuation0161

Doesn't bode well for the UK govenrment approach, with delayed second jabs, longer delay than recommended by the manufacturer.

Israeli studies showing the first jab is even less effective than the manufacturer thought.

Single Covid vaccine dose in Israel 'less effective than we thought'
Surge in infections dampens optimism over country’s advanced immunisation programme
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It’s actually fine. If you go to pubs where it’s popular. Which is most pubs these days. Used to be grim because it wasn’t very popular so the first pint would come out of the pipes all stale and rank tasting. Plus the barman usually didn’t know how to pour it.

Nowadays it’s not unusual to find pubs in Ireland with shit Guinness. Full of hipsters drinking craft ales. Although when you go to a pub that pours a good pint it’s very very good.

God I miss good pints of Guinness. Feck you, covid :(
English Guinness suffers for all the reasons you state but even if everything is perfect it isn't anywhere near as good as a good pint in Ireland (very drinkable mind). The water having to be chemically adjusted for hardness maybe? Eben Australian brewed Guinness is better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You enter a thread about a medicine and the british-irish are talking about beer...

Fluctuation0161

I've probably been reading too many tabloids, but I though the Pfizer one was up to 91 % effective after one dose.
First real world preliminary study has it much lower than anticipated, at 33%.

COVID-19: 'Real-world' analysis of vaccine in Israel raises questions about UK strategy
Scientists in Israel have been studying preliminary data from 200,000 vaccinated people.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...l-raises-questions-about-uk-strategy-12192751

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just give a free beer or wine with each shot and the uptake would be stunning.

Last edited:

djembatheking

Does anyone know what these vaccines do or have they just been approved out of desperation and then hope for the best . It all seems very hit and miss . Chopping and changing when to give the 2nd dose and what the actual protection will be. It is hard to know what to believe when people are desperate to get back to some level of normality socially and economically . I hope the scientists haven't got it wrong .

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Does anyone know what these vaccines do or have they just been approved out of desperation and then hope for the best . It all seems very hit and miss . Chopping and changing when to give the 2nd dose and what the actual protection will be. It is hard to know what to believe when people are desperate to get back to some level of normality socially and economically . I hope the scientists haven't got it wrong .
There is an extensive study with 40.000 subjects that tested each vaccine approved before rolling out. There are clear instructions on how it should be administrated. But the UK decided not to administrate as the manufacturer said it should be implemented. So is not hit and miss, is just the UK gambling

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Does anyone know what these vaccines do or have they just been approved out of desperation and then hope for the best.
We know very well what they do. The vaccines are safe and effective or very effective. Like all non-sterilising vaccines (the vast majority in all cases) we won't know how much this will reduce the R value and/or the transmission but it is looking very optimistic.

It all seems very hit and miss . Chopping and changing when to give the 2nd dose and what the actual protection will be. It is hard to know what to believe when people are desperate to get back to some level of normality socially and economically . I hope the scientists haven't got it wrong .
The gap between doses isn't anything to do with scientists getting it right or wrong but rather a public health response to the pandemic. Ideally you stick to the gap that was tested during trials but in this unprecedented case they are hoping that giving as many people as possible the first shot will on average reduce transmission as compare to giving a reduced number of people 2 shots on schedule. As a former scientist (biologist not immunologist) my instinct would be to go as fast as possible with the approved gap between but I can see the advantage of maybe getting 60/70% effectiveness for nearly twice as many people vs 90+% for the lesser number. I guess the danger is we don't really know what leaving a bigger gap will do to the overall effectiveness (hopefully nothing).

RedMist99

This time last year I had four relatively healthy albeit aging grandparents. We lost my Grandpa to Covid in April. My remaining grandparents had the vaccine last week but one of my grandma's has now tested positive and is back in hospital. I fear the worst as she is 90 years old. feck this disease

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
We know very well what they do. The vaccines are safe and effective or very effective. Like all non-sterilising vaccines (the vast majority in all cases) we won't know how much this will reduce the R value and/or the transmission but it is looking very optimistic.

The gap between doses isn't anything to do with scientists getting it right or wrong but rather a public health response to the pandemic. Ideally you stick to the gap that was tested during trials but in this unprecedented case they are hoping that giving as many people as possible the first shot will on average reduce transmission as compare to giving a reduced number of people 2 shots on schedule. As a former scientist (biologist not immunologist) my instinct would be to go as fast as possible with the approved gap between but I can see the advantage of maybe getting 60/70% effectiveness for nearly twice as many people vs 90+% for the lesser number. I guess the danger is we don't really know what leaving a bigger gap will do to the overall effectiveness (hopefully nothing).
What about the risk of the virus mutating adapting to the vaccine that is not as as strong as possible with 2 shots?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What about the risk of the virus mutating adapting to the vaccine that is not as as strong as possible with 2 shots?
Vaccination in general risks viral mutation. Traditionally the main risk has been thought to be that the rapid eradication of a virus will leave an ecological niche to be be filled by other pathogens. I'm not sure if that has ever actually happened but it was (and maybe still is) considered the main risk. The other big risk is that you eradicate all of the virus expect a very few variants/strains that are adapted to be least effectively dealt with by the vaccine. So in this case the few left might explode, creating an new wave but one that one or more vaccines don't deal with as well (or in the worst case at all). However, less effective vaccines (or a roll out that cause the vaccines to be less effective) actually place less evolutionary pressure on the virus, but at the cost of there being more infections and therefore more opportunity for "normal" evolution of the virus. Six of one and half a dozen of another maybe? I'm not an expert so I'd be just guessing which is a bigger risk but my instinct is that the risk of the delay is less than the risk of almost half as many people getting partial immunity (at a level that would have seen a vaccine be approved if that was its maximum effectiveness).

The main hope though is that for a virus to mutate so much that a vaccine didn't work at all the whole spike would need to change (as vaccines don't work on just one bit) and the chances of that happening, and the virus still being highly infectious to humans is very small (but not impossible). My guess is that the faster we can immunise as close to 100% of people as possible, in as many countries as possible, in whatever way we can the better and if the virus mutates then so be it. I'm not sure what we can do about that. Any choice has a risk attached.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This time last year I had four relatively healthy albeit aging grandparents. We lost my Grandpa to Covid in April. My remaining grandparents had the vaccine last week but one of my grandma's has now tested positive and is back in hospital. I fear the worst as she is 90 years old. feck this disease
:( Sorry to hear that. I hope your Grandma pulls through. Lets hope the vaccine was given early enough that is at least lessens the severity of her symptoms.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Vaccination in general risks viral mutation. Traditionally the main risk has been thought to be that the rapid eradication of a virus will leave an ecological niche to be be filled by other pathogens. I'm not sure if that has ever actually happened but it was (and maybe still is) considered the main risk. The other big risk is that you eradicate all of the virus expect a very few variants/strains that are adapted to be least effectively dealt with by the vaccine. So in this case the few left might explode, creating an new wave but one that one or more vaccines don't deal with as well (or in the worst case at all). However, less effective vaccines (or a roll out that cause the vaccines to be less effective) actually place less evolutionary pressure on the virus, but at the cost of there being more infections and therefore more opportunity for "normal" evolution of the virus. Six of one and half a dozen of another maybe? I'm not an expert so I'd be just guessing which is a bigger risk but my instinct is that the risk of the delay is less than the risk of almost half as many people getting partial immunity (at a level that would have seen a vaccine be approved if that was its maximum effectiveness).

The main hope though is that for a virus to mutate so much that a vaccine didn't work at all the whole spike would need to change (as vaccines don't work on just one bit) and the chances of that happening, and the virus still being highly infectious to humans is very small (but not impossible). My guess is that the faster we can immunise as close to 100% of people as possible, in as many countries as possible, in whatever way we can the better and if the virus mutates then so be it. I'm not sure what we can do about that. Any choice has a risk attached.
Thanks for the extensive explanation. Will see how it pans out and lets hope the rich countries share their extra vaccinations with the poorest on moral grounds and as well for global safety

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Thanks for the extensive explanation. Will see how it pans out and lets hope the rich countries share their extra vaccinations with the poorest on moral grounds and as well for global safety
Bear in mind I was a biologist/evolutionary ecologist in a previous life so was OK with biological evolution, but I don't know any more than I've read this year about viral evolution, which is significantly different (but with lots of commonalities). I could be off the mark quite easily.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is our best interests to get everyone vaccinated. Once Australia gets itself vaccinated I'd hope we keep producing the Oxford vaccine to help our neighbors in the Pacific and further away. Sounds like a sensible investment if nothing else to me. Not holding my breath mind.

Kaos

Sorry to hear that fella. My grandmother is of a similar age with an impressive collection of underlying health conditions yet still managed to battle the fecker away. So hang in there for yours! Hopefully the vaccine gives her a boost to fight it too.

hmchan

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

hmchan

Well that’s quite a comprehensive analysis. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I understand many of you may be frustrated about how your government deals with the pandemic (and yes they could have done a lot better), but let's not forget the one who causes the damage always shoulders a larger responsibility than those who fail to limit the damage.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thanks. I understand many of you may be frustrated about how your government deals with the pandemic (and yes they could have done a lot better), but let's not forget the one who causes the damage always shoulders a larger responsibility than those who fail to limit the damage.
Oh, sorry I was being sarcastic. Maybe that didn’t come across well enough.

hmchan

They have every right to say something about the equitable distribution of vaccines. Doubly so as they are right.
Why don't they say anything but their total failure in preventing this pandemic, leading to the inevitable consequence that poorer regions suffer more? Wealth, food, resources etc are all distributed unequally in the world and I don't see vaccine as an exception. It is not ideal but it is something you have to cope with, especially when you are the major culprit for the mess in the first place. Plus, WHO received a lump sum of donation from China (for covering up), they could have spent it on vaccines if they care so much.

saivet

My mum had the vaccine yesterday as an NHS employee and seemed alright. She did mention that a few of her colleagues have had some of the side effects but nothing for her as of yet.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why don't they say anything but their total failure in preventing this pandemic, leading to the inevitable consequence that poorer regions suffer more? Wealth, food, resources etc are all distributed unequally in the world and I don't see vaccine as an exception. It is not ideal but it is something you have to cope with, especially when you are the major culprit for the mess in the first place. Plus, WHO received a lump sum of donation from China (for covering up), they could have spent it on vaccines if they care so much.
The are an integral part of Covax which is trying to supply vaccines more equitably and spending huge sums on it. So again an unfair criticism.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He was actually saying that you hadn't analysed really - more just stated a dislike.

Smores

Think your tinfoil is showing. Human to human transmission was not going to be identified day one in Wuhan for obvious reasons.

By the time they identified it was spreading human to human the world could have shut down flights but it would already have been too late. No one was stopping this spreading globally.

I actually suspect if this had started in any western country it would have been much worse as we wouldn't have locked down like Wuhan. I doubt we'd even have any restrictions within the first two months.

hmchan

The are an integral part of Covax which is trying to supply vaccines more equitably and spending huge sums on it. So again an unfair criticism.
Yes, and richer regions have also played their parts in donating to COVAX. After this point, it's WHO's responsibility to make good use of the fund and distribute vaccines as equal as possible. Pointing the fingers at richer regions is merely shirking their responsibility.

hmchan

Think your tinfoil is showing. Human to human transmission was not going to be identified day one in Wuhan for obvious reasons.

By the time they identified it was spreading human to human the world could have shut down flights but it would already have been too late. No one was stopping this spreading globally.

I actually suspect if this had started in any western country it would have been much worse as we wouldn't have locked down like Wuhan. I doubt we'd even have any restrictions within the first two months.
There was strong evidence of human-to-human transmission as early as mid January. WHO chose to ignore the threat and time has proven who is right.
https://time.com/5826025/taiwan-who-trump-coronavirus-covid19/