The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I can see both positions, really. All hospital and social care staff were vaccinated first here - first the clinicians and then the administrative staff. I can see that we need to make sure that health care can keep going. But then on the other hand, many of those admin staff are young, healthy people.

In a way, if we'd vaccinated all the healthy 20 to 40-year-olds first it would have massively slowed the spread. The over-80s and the disabled aren't the ones who are passing it around.
What you describe is what happened in Ireland. HCWs were vaccinated first (along with care home residents/staff) After that it’s been a focus on the most elderly and clinically vulnerable.

The initial plans also involved prioritising police, teachers etc but that’s been shelved to focus on those likely to get most sick.

Vaccinating the young first would be a good idea if we were 100% confident that vaccines prevent spread. Without that certainty you’re making a decision to allow preventable elderly deaths based on a hunch. So not really an acceptable option.

Castia

Absolutely zero info on international travel. Waste of fecking time.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Vaccinating the young first would be a good idea if we were 100% confident that vaccines prevent spread. Without that certainty you’re making a decision to allow preventable elderly deaths based on a hunch. So not really an acceptable option.
Yes, that's true. I thought that Italy did the right thing to protect the health and social care workers first, but the roll-out for elderly people has been painfully slow. The Italian press is saying we have a serious shortage of vaccines.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes, that's true. I thought that Italy did the right thing to protect the health and social care workers first, but the roll-out for elderly people has been painfully slow. The Italian press is saying we have a serious shortage of vaccines.
The shortages should be over soon. We’ve seen a huge increase in supply over the last week or so and are supposed to be injecting as many people this month as in the previous three combined. Hopefully you see a similar turnaround in Italy very soon. I’m sure you will.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The shortages should be over soon. We’ve seen a huge increase in supply over the last week or so and are supposed to be injecting as many people this month as in the previous three combined. Hopefully you see a similar turnaround in Italy very soon. I’m sure you will.
I think that the increase in production will happen continuously, now for the next few months or even years, so the vaccine shortage will alleviate over the next few months.
I gotta say, the EU really messed up their vaccine program. While the UK got their orders in early, the EU took too long and now because they are at the back of the queue, they are suffering.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely zero info on international travel. Waste of fecking time.
Yeah I’m hoping something changes regarding this soon. At the very least if we manage to get enough people vaccinated (not sure what’s deemed an acceptable number) and the USA continues on its trajectory that border might be reopened.

It might be selfish but I have loved ones I haven’t seen in over a year and being stuck inside for a year has taken its toll. Obviously doesn’t help seeing so many blatantly disregard the rules.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Didn’t he say more data is required for international travel?

how about a vaccine passport for travel? Would people buy into that idea?

EvilChuck

My missus had her jab saturday, and then we had a few drinks in the evening (as is our tradition). Sunday she woke up with the worse hangover ever, she was throwing up most of the day, couldnt eat, couldnt even sip water without it coming back up again.

Spoke to a friend of ours who also had their jab saturday who did the same thing, and they ended up in hospital sunday with how much they were throwing up.

Lesson seems to be alcohol and the vaccine dont mix.

golden_blunder

Staff
My missus had her jab saturday, and then we had a few drinks in the evening (as is our tradition). Sunday she woke up with the worse hangover ever, she was throwing up most of the day, couldnt eat, couldnt even sip water without it coming back up again.

Spoke to a friend of ours who also had their jab saturday who did the same thing, and they ended up in hospital sunday with how much they were throwing up.

Who knew that would be a bad idea

Balljy

I think the view is that alcohol could potentially blunt the immune response so it's best to abstain for a bit to be safe, but a couple are probably fine. It's weird it made her ill though as the trials didn't tell people not to drink so it should have been picked up if it was a common reaction.

I don't think there's any specific data on alcohol in terms of immune response though as it wasn't part of the checks.

C'est Moi Cantona

Who knew that would be a bad idea
When I had mine I googled about the alcohol advice as I was sure there must be some somewhere, and it said something along the lines of nothing 2 days before, or 14 days after, was nothing on the info sheet from memory though, felt like crap the next 48 hrs so glad I didn't bother.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
When I had mine I googled about the alcohol advice as I was sure there must be some somewhere, and it said something along the lines of nothing 2 says before, or 14 days after, was nothing on the info sheet from memory though, felt like crap the next 48 hrs though so glad I didn't bother.
Correct. Vaccines are still a medicine and it’s never right to be drinking on meds

Balljy

When I had mine I googled about the alcohol advice as I was sure there must be some somewhere, and it said something along the lines of nothing 2 says before, or 14 days after, was nothing on the info sheet from memory though, felt like crap the next 48 hrs though so glad I didn't bother.
Yeah, it does say that, but after looking it all came down to one article on drinkawware (a charity for safe drinking). The official advice is it's best to be safe but there is no specific data and alcohol can blunt immune responses. Vaccinations in general don't normally have specific advise regarding alcohol but as you say, it's best to be safe and I kept to the 2 week recommendation because why not.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I expected the same when i got my 2nd Pfizer 12 days ago, but nothing really happened. The only interesting bit was they gave me a proof of vaccination card that said this round of two vaccinations is good for 6 months, after which I presumably have to do it all over again, or else get a single booster shot.
Yeah, apparently chances of immune response are slightly higher from the Moderna shot. We'll see. Got some groceries in case I do feel ill tomorrow. I didn't receive anything about a booster shot with mine or a note that it's only good for 6 months. I suspect that we may need a booster annually?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Received my 2nd Pfizer vaccine last Tuesday. Felt ok. Really fecking sore arm, very lethargic that night but overall no significant issues. I know a lot of folk who have felt like a pile of shit after their 2nd Pfizer.

Traub

What’s the view on taking the flu vaccine soonish given the rollout of the Covid vaccine?
I’ve done some research, and there has been no studies on Covid vaccine co-administration (as expected), but generally it isn’t an issue with vaccines is my understanding (they do say don’t take another vaccine 2 weeks before or after, but I think that’s more due to possible reactions).

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
What’s the view on taking the flu vaccine soonish given the rollout of the Covid vaccine?
I’ve done some research, and there has been no studies on Covid vaccine co-administration (as expected), but generally it isn’t an issue with vaccines is my understanding (they do say don’t take another vaccine 2 weeks before or after, but I think that’s more due to possible reactions).
There's studies ongoing currently looking into the combination of available covid vaccines.

With regards flu vaccs, I'd always tell my patients to wait at least 10-14 days between getting them. From my point of view, you want your body to deal with manufacturing the antibodies etc for one thing at a time and give it time to settle. Upsetting that might lead to some unwanted side effects and may (or may not) impede the efficacy of either vaccine.

Traub

There's studies ongoing currently looking into the combination of available covid vaccines.

With regards flu vaccs, I'd always tell my patients to wait at least 10-14 days between getting them. From my point of view, you want your body to deal with manufacturing the antibodies etc for one thing at a time and give it time to settle. Upsetting that might lead to some unwanted side effects and may (or may not) impede the efficacy of either vaccine.
Ok so it’s possible that efficacy of the covid vaccine will be reduced? There’s lots of talk of also taking the pneumonia vaccines soon as well, but it’s probably worth waiting to get the covid vaccine then.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Ok so it’s possible that efficacy of the covid vaccine will be reduced? There’s lots of talk of also taking the pneumonia vaccines soon as well, but it’s probably worth waiting to get the covid vaccine then.
I mean there’s a possibility but I don’t know for sure. I’d always err on the side of caution and give your body one vaccine at a time. Definitely worth prioritising the Covid vaccine over pneumonia one.

I presume you’re Southern Hemisphere??

Traub

I mean there’s a possibility but I don’t know for sure. I’d always err on the side of caution and give your body one vaccine at a time. Definitely worth prioritising the Covid vaccine over pneumonia one.

I presume you’re Southern Hemisphere??
Yeah South Africa. Covid vaccine rollout is slow so it’s other vaccination times again. From what I read from the CDC, they basically say don’t take anything 2 weeks before or after. However, if you do take another vaccine, there’s no need to re-administer either vaccine.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Feels like the EU countries are dropping a bollock here, US and India are doing vaccinations at a scale of 3 million per day and here in Denmark, its 10,000 on a good day.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Those sort of estimates are pretty useless because the rate at which vaccinations are manufactured/distributed will get faster and faster over time. Plus new vaccines will become approved/available shortly. The acceleration of vaccine supply will be closer to exponential than the straight line they’re assuming.

Not to mention that when highly populous countries like the US vaccinate everyone, that suddenly frees up an enormous amount of vaccines for the rest of the world.

Traub

Those sort of estimates are pretty useless because the rate at which vaccinations are manufactured/distributed will get faster and faster over time. Plus new vaccines will become approved/available shortly. The acceleration of vaccine supply will be closer to exponential than the straight line they’re assuming.

Not to mention that when highly populous countries like the US vaccinate everyone, that suddenly frees up an enormous amount of vaccines for the rest of the world.
Ya all it shows is who is likely to get vaccinated first, but the timeframes are wrong.

Some good news locally is we’ve apparently finally signed with Pfizer, so those doses should start arriving from May/June. All vulnerable people should be vaccinated by Sept/Oct.

Given that I’m in my 30s with no co-morbidities, I’m expecting to receive my vaccine at the end of the year/early next year. Still a bit of a wait, but hopefully next year this time things are as close to normal as possible.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Feels like the EU countries are dropping a bollock here, US and India are doing vaccinations at a scale of 3 million per day and here in Denmark, its 10,000 on a good day.
They are both vaccinating 0.002% of their population per day currently.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That 10k figure can’t be right. Denmark are doing a great job with their vaccines. The best in Europe. In Ireland we did >30k last Friday.

That's down to individual countries, not the bloc. Italy is up to 300,000 doses a day through hospitals alone, with the massive central hubs to come online from next week. The doses are available now and increasing on a daily basis. If Denmark is only administering 10k it's down to them alone.

Italy accounts for 13.5% of EU population and supply. You can work out where Denmark should be based off that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That 10k figure can’t be right. Denmark are doing a great job with their vaccines. The best in Europe. In Ireland we did >30k last Friday.
Yesterday, it was 13,000 and its been in that 10-13k range ever since they paused the Astrazeneca vaccines. 7% of the population has been fully vaccinated so far. Denmark is not doing poorly but its nowhere near the lead either. Here's the top 20 ranked by number of doses administered per 100 residents.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yesterday, it was 13,000 and its been in that 10-13k range ever since they paused the Astrazeneca vaccines. 7% of the population has been fully vaccinated so far. Denmark is not doing poorly but its nowhere near the lead either. Here's the top 20 ranked by number of doses administered per 100 residents.

Denmark has been consistently in the lead in the EU (that’s what I meant by “best in Europe”) Although that won’t last if they’re only vaccinating 10k/day. That figure is surprising to me.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Can I just say that the USA have really upped their game since Trumps administration fecked off?
Well yeah, but... They've also upped their export controls. Which basically means that potential vaccine manufacturing countries like India can't get the basic supplies that they need and that the EU plants are supplying to countries like Canada who were originally scheduled to be supplied from the US.

Hopefully, once the pressure of the national situation eases off, the US will start supplying the world and in particular supporting South and Central America. If they decide to stockpile to prepare for any possible mutant variants instead, that'll be really troubling.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can I just say that the USA have really upped their game since Trumps administration fecked off?
True - but Biden's administration did enter the fray at the optimal time given the vaccines were at a highly developed stage/things couldn't really have gotten much worse from where they were in Jan.

This is not in defence of Trump/former administration by the way, following that shower of shite has also made the Dem's job pretty easy to improve upon.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yeh by basically fecking over everyone else and hoarding their own vaccines, while other vaccine producing countries like EU are supplying the rest of the world.

Nothing good about what the US and UK have done. They've taken the path of vaccine nationalism and forgotten about the rest of the world.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeh by basically fecking over everyone else and hoarding their own vaccines, while other vaccine producing countries like EU are supplying the rest of the world.

Nothing good about what the US and UK have done. They've taken the path of vaccine nationalism and forgotten about the rest of the world.
That also shows the political climate in both countries. Biden would have been toast had he been shipping vaccine abroad while asking people to stay in lockdowns for much longer.

Bosws87

I didn’t watch but two senior sources have apparently stated they may be set to restrict AZ to over 30s.
Thoroughly reassuring if your just on the wrong side of 30 obviously :lol:

Chances are so minimal obviously it should be a non issue but there's always that "what if" in the back of your mind.

lynchie

The only good side to the US hording all the vaccines for now, is they're being pretty effective at putting them in people's arms, so they should be done with the adult population soon. Hopefully, they then release the export restrictions and the world benefits from a big influx of vaccines.

First Moderna doses have arrived in the UK this week, although numbers likely to be small for a while. Hopefully guards against some of the supply shocks by bringing more manufacturers into the mix.