The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roane

I’m very sorry to hear that. Was your younger friend vaxxed at all?
Not 100% sure but I think not. Wasn't anti vaxx or anything.

He has passed away since I initially posted. His wife had given birth to a son whilst he was in a coma. Gutted as he was such a nice and humble guy.

Regarding the vaccine, AZ in particular, there is a radio personality who died after having it. I mentioned another guy who has had a stroke and blood clots and my own mother passed away 6 months ago from stroke after the AZ jab.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He has passed away since I initially posted. His wife had given birth to a son whilst he was in a coma. Gutted as he was such a nice and humble guy.

Regarding the vaccine, AZ in particular, there is a radio personality who died after having it. I mentioned another guy who has had a stroke and blood clots and my own mother passed away 6 months ago from stroke after the AZ jab.
Very sorry to hear that, gutting for his young family.

prateik

Got my second dose yesterday. AZ.

All good.. The standard sore arm (still got it) and headache last night... but the headache might be because of my fecked up sleep schedule.. didnt sleep much on Sunday night..

NotThatSoph

Hope you get better soon.

coincidentally I was talking to someone the other day and he said that he thought he had an eye infection, left it for a few days then decided to go to a clinic. Long story short; he diagnosed with a rare disease that causes buildup behind the eyes pushing them out. He had to have emergency surgery to give him some space for the eyes. He is prescribed something to keep them in check but he has been told that it’s a matter of time before he’s blind. He drives a taxi for a living.

look after your eyes
I'm completely fine again, thank you for asking.

The thing that got me bewildered is that I'm very familiar with allergic reactions, and I have experienced my eyes balooning several times before. Thing is, it hasn't happened for at least 15 years (was pretty regular before then, I'm medicated now), and when it did it itched like something crazy. It's hard to overstate how bad it was. This time I didn't feel a thing, I just looked like the Elephant Man (or Diego Costa, if we are to listen to the crowds), which is what weirded me out. If it was a "normal" allergic reaction then I would know what I was in for, but because it wasn't I was slightly worried.

Turned out to be nothing, though, so all good. Got a day off with full pay and everything.

Pretty much my whole family have shit eyes as well, so I do pay attention. Nearsightedness, farsightedness, glaucoma, etc. I'm literally the only person with perfect vision. My brother can't read but he doesn't read anyway, my father just did Lasik, my mother has like five pairs of glasses depending on what she's doing, my grandmother gets injections every second week to not go blind. Meanwhile I'm fecking Hawkeye.

Last edited:

Made me laugh

I am coming across more and more people like this lately.

People who have died despite being vaccinated. People who have survived with one vaccine whilst a partner has died with another. People who have been seriously ill after the vaccine. With billions of people there are bound to be some coincidences, and some genuine cases. Its hard explain it all away to those who see it as a reason to avoid the vaccine, but those cases all pale in comparison to the people who caught the actual virus.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Why am I not surprised that @Beans has not replied to above.
Sorry I've been busy. I wanted to find more of the studies I've seen cited. Found one that's a preprint and that's also being questioned. Are there usually so many questioned studies? Is there some kind of conspiracy to make ivermectin look effective? Could be.

I'm not saying I know the answers, and if all the stuff I've seen had been discredited, and that discrediting stands up over time, I'll happilly accept it all.

If I can get myself to do it I'll look for more of the data I've seen.

But yes, Merck say it doesn't work, right? Maybe they're right!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sorry I've been busy. I wanted to find more of the studies I've seen cited. Found one that's a preprint and that's also being questioned. Are there usually so many questioned studies? Is there some kind of conspiracy to make ivermectin look effective? Could be.

I'm not saying I know the answers, and if all the stuff I've seen had been discredited, and that discrediting stands up over time, I'll happilly accept it all.

Not to mention why would it be a surprise that a horse dewormer wasn't a cure for covid?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Only 57%? :eek:
Yep. 62% of the adult population have had at least one dose, and around 57% have had a full course (that's about half of the whole population of the state). A tragedy in a country where vaccines have been freely available for months.

When you look at the hospitalisation stats it looks like someone is running a massively unethical clinical trial. When you look at ICU cases and deaths, you start to see the move into older age groups and more serious comorbidities - where vax take-up was higher, but not high enough.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Not to mention why would it be a surprise that a horse dewormer wasn't a cure for covid?
Is a medicine that's been used by humans for a while, it's a good one, and finding new purposes for old medicines is, as we say in the States, a thing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is a medicine that's been used by humans for a while, it's a good one, and finding new purposes for old medicines is, as we say in the States, a thing.
But rare the a drug is a treatment for something completely unconnected to its original purpose.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It seems like potentially important information, if it all turns out to be fake studies then sorry for wasting everyone's time, it seemed worth the ridicule to share the info I found. Normally I don't bother, because there are so many rude posters on here.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Sorry to hear :(

Strange that AZ is still being used, Norway gave all we had of it away because of blod clot.
We just use Pfizer and Moderna.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A summary of bad news from Covax. Covax are supposed to be the main source of vaccines for whole chunks of the world. They're now expecting to receive only limited supplies in 2021.

Part of the story is vaccine hoarding by the rich (including stock that is having to be destroyed as it's reached its use by date). Which has now turned into another round of stockpiling in case boosters are needed.

The other issues mostly relate to the difficulty of scaling up production. Pfizer has been the only company that actually managed to scale up, more or less on plan.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A summary of bad news from Covax. Covax are supposed to be the main source of vaccines for whole chunks of the world. They're now expecting to receive only limited supplies in 2021.

Part of the story is vaccine hoarding by the rich (including stock that is having to be destroyed as it's reached its use by date). Which has now turned into another round of stockpiling in case boosters are needed.

The other issues mostly relate to the difficulty of scaling up production. Pfizer has been the only company that actually managed to scale up, more or less on plan.

Hopefully there are no new setbacks for Sanofi, the introduction of their vaccine could make a big difference for the rest of the world.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
And what that lack of vaccines means in practice, even in a country like SA, which has been able to get some supplies.

In Western Cape they've been able to vaccinate about 38% of their 60+ group:

mav_9me

No, there's usually not this many discredited studies.

It's not a conspiracy. It's a simple grift IMO. Exploiting the more right wing people, exploiting their desire to stick one of the left and mainstream media/science. For example there quite a few doctos/Healthcare professionals who prescribe ivermectin for covid on request for a certain fee. And then right wing media drives this narrative of Ivermectin because they are contrarian to science.

One of the arguments put forth by these people is its the big pharma controlling things again, driving treatment to expensive meds and vaccine. Obviously that argument breaks down when Merkc (a big pharma) itself recommends against ivermectin. And then you have people like the FL governor acting like a spokesperson for Regeneron antibody cocktail instead of talking about vaccines. Guess who is big pharma now?

djembatheking

Rich countries stockpiling vaccines then having to destroy them because they`ve reached their use by date then stockpiling more in case boosters are needed.That is fecked up.

Chief123

I can’t believe how many people (including many intelligent ones) have come out with the stat about how the majority of hospital covid cases are people who have been vaccinated. They are somehow using this fact to question whether the vaccine even works!

Surely, that many people can’t be bad at maths and percentages?! It’s pretty obvious most cases would be vaccinated considering there aren’t many unvaccinated adults left!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Had my second does of moderna yesterday, last time had no side effects just a sore arm. After I had the jab yesterday I was fine for most of the day but during the night I had shivers/high temp and couldn't sleep. Hopefully means the vaccine is working effectively.

mav_9me

Study done only in the US. But interesting when considering vaccine for teenagers.

Boys more at risk from Pfizer jab side-effect than Covid, suggests study
US researchers say teenagers are more likely to get vaccine-related myocarditis than end up in hospital with Covid
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...zer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study
The big red flag problem in the above is their definition of myocarditis based off terms and troponin in VAERS. That's not how myocarditis is diagnosed. Anyone can report anything in VAERS. There needs to be better analysis of these reports before saying they are actual myocarditis. This paper fails on that count.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Study done only in the US. But interesting when considering vaccine for teenagers.

Boys more at risk from Pfizer jab side-effect than Covid, suggests study
US researchers say teenagers are more likely to get vaccine-related myocarditis than end up in hospital with Covid
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...zer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study
Bit of a misleading headline. More at risk of being hospitalised by covid than the extremely rare side effect (which may or may not put them in hospital) It’s hard to get an accurate incidence of very rare outcomes anyway. So nobody can claim with any certainty that extremely rare outcome A is definitely more common than very rare outcome B.

Some important points in the tweets shared by @mav_9me too.

Zen86

Had my second does of moderna yesterday, last time had no side effects just a sore arm. After I had the jab yesterday I was fine for most of the day but during the night I had shivers/high temp and couldn't sleep. Hopefully means the vaccine is working effectively.
Had mine Tuesday evening, felt pretty terrible by Wednesday lunchtime. Headache, dizziness, shivers and a general “fluey” feeling. It passed quite quickly though, by Thursday I felt ok again.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Had mine Tuesday evening, felt pretty terrible by Wednesday lunchtime. Headache, dizziness, shivers and a general “fluey” feeling. It passed quite quickly though, by Thursday I felt ok again.
Good to hear that mate.

Feeling a lot better now, so hopefully back to normal tomorrow with a good nights rest.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

This is the inactivated virus vaccine that was going to be made in Livingstone.

I'm not sure if this is about timescales being pushed back, or if something has gone wrong with that factory project. Either way, not great news for Valneva who had been looking at modifying their vaccine to target variants. The vaccine is at phase 3 trials right now.

I think this is the trial that @lynchie was on - not sure if he still is.

Bosws87

This is the inactivated virus vaccine that was going to be made in Livingstone.

I'm not sure if this is about timescales being pushed back, or if something has gone wrong with that factory project. Either way, not great news for Valneva who had been looking at modifying their vaccine to target variants. The vaccine is at phase 3 trials right now.

I think this is the trial that @lynchie was on - not sure if he still is.
Wonder if this form of vaccination will become forgotten, with the success of the MRNA vaccines and the technology and the ease they can tweak them for different variants etc are we looking at a huge step in the advancement of vaccines.

They always say disasters bring about the biggest jumps in technology.

Wolverine

Took ‘em a while but they got there in the end. Seems strange to not give both doses though. Where’s the evidence of one dose efficacy?
I agree its a unusual, we've got form though in going against the grain, previously with dosing interval and now this.

I don't think there is much to be honest on the efficacy front truthfully. There is some in adults I think with one-dose VE. The 12-17 adolescent NEJM study I remember looking into efficacy and safety specifically used 7 day post 2nd dose as the end point

There is something regarding myocarditis rates per million much higher post 2nd dose compared to 1st regarding the safety issue
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.056135

Its been a hot issue here since JCVI published their lack of recommendation for the 12-17s, gleefully lapped up of course by the vaccine hesitants and outrage from the long covid types (Gurdasani, Prof Pagel etc)

I've seen a few paeds doctors in the states who seem credible I think disagree regarding some of the extrapolations of current studies JCVI are using/general concerns from myocarditis post-vaccine POV

Children being able to consent for themselves without parental involvement for this in schools another hot button issue here too, expecting a bit more backlash to this than before once talkradio, LBC and GB news get into gear.