The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
@2cents, here's the info you need to report that disgraceful nurse:

https://www.nmbi.ie/Complaints/Making-a-Complaint/Complaints-Process

It'll be a bit difficult as I assume there are no independent witnesses and of course, nothing in writing. However, your 90-year-old relative won't have come up with that nonsense on her own accord.
Thank you Penna, from what I’ve heard my aunt thinks the world of this nurse, but my cousin who is the closest to her is absolutely raging over it so I’ve sent that link on to her.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Thank you Penna, from what I’ve heard my aunt thinks the world of this nurse, but my cousin who is the closest to her is absolutely raging over it so I’ve sent that link on to her.
Good, I hope your cousin acts on it. The nurse might be kind to your aunt, but if she's saying this to her she's saying it to other people, too. Elderly people trust their carers, the carers have a duty to give proper information to them.

He should be applauded, not admonished. He may have saved lives by doing what he did.
its ridiculous - you will now find Vaccines being thrown away, or perhaps worse people being turned down, because it involves opening a new vial, with no prospect of being able to administer the remaining vaccines.

R'hllor

Well i am in a bit of dilemma right now, tomorrow i should report my parents and put them on the list for vaccination ( 65 and 71 years old ). Both of them far from being healthy healthy. Problem is, at first they wanted Russian one, turns out they cant get that one due their age and now here is a kicker, seems there is no immidate option but to sign them up for Chinese one. Not gonna lie, Synopharm or w/e the feck name is, looks scuffed. Pf/Moderna seems not an option at the moment.

They pushing to get a vaccine, i am not gonna try to stop them but not feeling with ez right now.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well i am in a bit of dilemma right now, tomorrow i should report my parents and put them on the list for vaccination ( 65 and 71 years old ). Both of them far from being healthy healthy. Problem is, at first they wanted Russian one, turns out they cant get that one due their age and now here is a kicker, seems there is no immidate option but to sign them up for Chinese one. Not gonna lie, Synopharm or w/e the feck name is, looks scuffed. Pf/Moderna seems not an option at the moment.

They pushing to get a vaccine, i am not gonna try to stop them but not feeling with ez right now.
All approved vaccines are safe. Their instincts are correct. Get them vaccinated with whatever is available ASAP as the risk of getting vaccinated is far far smaller than the risk of not being vaccinated.

R'hllor

All approved vaccines are safe. Their instincts are correct. Get them vaccinated with whatever is available ASAP as the risk of getting vaccinated is far far smaller than the risk of not being vaccinated.
My biggest concern is level of protection, containing my dad for last year or so was such a pain the ass, attitude of not taking it 100% serious and i knew that if he brings it back at their home, he might stand a chance but doubt my mom would survive it. I just know the moment he gets his shot and shit, he will go full Rambo mode.

Either way, thank you for reply.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My biggest concern is level of protection, containing my dad for last year or so was such a pain the ass, attitude of not taking it 100% serious and i knew that if he brings it back at their home, he might stand a chance but doubt my mom would survive it. I just know the moment he gets his shot and shit, he will go full Rambo mode.

Either way, thank you for reply.
He really needs to assume there is no protection until at least 2 weeks after the 2nd shot (assuming there are 2) and as he is older preferably a week (or 3 longer) as immunity will likely build more slowly. Lay it on thick - tell him he could kill your mum unless he behaves responsibly and you will never forgive him if that happens.

There is a poster on here who had an elderly relative die after getting their first shot when immunity hadn't developed yet.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A bit more on the SA variant and the mRNA vaccines. Again consistent with the idea that previous infection with the original SAR2 isn't protective against the SA strain, and that the vaccines see their efficacy fall (at least against mild/moderate disease)

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A bit more on the SA variant and the mRNA vaccines. Again consistent with the idea that previous infection with the original SAR2 isn't protective against the SA strain, and that the vaccines see their efficacy fall (at least against mild/moderate disease)

Good to see further confirmation that the UK variant is vaccine sensitive, I guess.

The B.1.351 variant is going to be a real problem though.

Eire Red United

15 million+ vaccinated (first dose)in the UK. Say what you want about the governments response to covid but that is excellent work on the vaccine front. Making the Irish government look like absolute clowns.

Hal9000

WTF was he meant to do? Throw them away?
It's happening here, although nobody been convicted but been a little uproar. e.g. the Cheltenham players/staff who got vaccinated. Been a few complaints that there is no clear policy on what to do, some GPs and centres have been throwing out doses. Some have been liberal and offered them out for people who can get to GP within the time period.

Hopefully, for the guy in texas, a decent judge throws out the case.

NinjaFletch

It's happening here, although nobody been convicted but been a little uproar. e.g. the Cheltenham players/staff who got vaccinated. Been a few complaints that there is no clear policy on what to do, some GPs and centres have been throwing out doses. Some have been liberal and offered them out for people who can get to GP within the time period.

Hopefully, for the guy in texas, a decent judge throws out the case.
Yeah I have friends who are massively low down on the priority list who have been vaccinated because of that. Officially or unofficially, the government have seemingly agreed that ordinary staff at vaccination hubs can be vaccinated with left over stock.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Just got confirmation for my first jab on Thursday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

That’s lovely data. So encouraging to see. Although I’d quibble with his final bullet point. Just look at the historical data. Been a number of similar bumps that end abruptly (e.g. Oct-Nov last year). It’s the really sharp prolonged descent that treads new ground. And that will definitely include immunity as a result of both doses, seeing as it accelerates from about a week after the second doses are rolled out.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Forgive me for being a complete thick but how is that graph good?
Its only showing that the age of people in hospital is declining? Or am I missing something.

Is there another line for hospital admissions and actual cases?

macheda14

Forgive me for being a complete thick but how is that graph good?
Its only showing that the age of people in hospital is declining? Or am I missing something.

Is there another line for hospital admissions and actual cases?
It’s showing that the vaccinations are working because older people have been vaccinated and therefore are not being admitted for serious symptoms

Phil

Really hope we don't Lose momentum now that we've hit that first target.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That’s lovely data. So encouraging to see. Although I’d quibble with his final bullet point. Just look at the historical data. Been a number of similar bumps that end abruptly (e.g. Oct-Nov last year). It’s the really sharp prolonged descent that treads new ground. And that will definitely include immunity as a result of both doses, seeing as it accelerates from about a week after the second doses are rolled out.
Agreed. You can't say there is no impact of the second dose in that data. Bloody brilliant that it seems to be working really well for the elderly.

Traub

That graph looks fantastic. Early days yet, but this must be up there with one of the most effective vaccines ever surely? Given it’s only taken a year, this is probably one of, if not, mankind’s greatest achievements for the past 50 years at least. It does give me some hope that we’ll be able to find a solution for climate change.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australia has just given full approval to the Oxford vaccine. If the reports are correct we are going to space the 2 shots 12 weeks apart.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Just got a call to book me in for the first injection on Saturday morning :)

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Got my first shot appointment for the 28th. Not gonna lie, Im a little worried about it(anxiety issues). Being that Im 40 I didnt think Id be on the list to get one any time soon and had hoped to not be offered one until next year so I could see how it all plays out and maybe get a choice of which vaccine to get.

madzo2007

My mum got her first vaccination (Pfizer) on Saturday there (she's 65), in and out in less than half an hour. The staff at the Ulster Hospital in Belfast were getting everyone to sit for 15 minutes after getting jabbed in case there was any immediate reaction. Other than a sore arm and feeling a wee bit under the weather for a couple of days she's had no side affects.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
My mum got her first vaccination (Pfizer) on Saturday there (she's 65), in and out in less than half an hour. The staff at the Ulster Hospital in Belfast were getting everyone to sit for 15 minutes after getting jabbed in case there was any immediate reaction. Other than a sore arm and feeling a wee bit under the weather for a couple of days she's had no side affects.
My mum got her's on Saturday morning too. Her arm wasn't that sore and didn't get any symptoms. She did report a weird feeling of ants climbing up her spine and running around inside her head for a few minutes on Sunday but nothing else.

Edit AZ vaccine.

prateik

I saw a couple of articles about people getting reinfected with the SA variant.. and that the vaccines might be less effective against it..
And other articles saying they dont expect the virus to go away, ie, cases go down to 0.. most people will have some level of immunity to it and we'll have to live with it.

A couple of questions..
1) how much of a concern is it in the short term? and
2)What is the likelihood of something like this (a worse version of the SA variant) starting the whole thing all over again in the future.. 2-3 years from now..

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I saw a couple of articles about people getting reinfected with the SA variant.. and that the vaccines might be less effective against it..
And other articles saying they dont expect the virus to go away, ie, cases go down to 0.. most people will have some level of immunity to it and we'll have to live with it.

A couple of questions..
1) how much of a concern is it in the short term? and
2)What is the likelihood of something like this (a worse version of the SA variant) starting the whole thing all over again in the future.. 2-3 years from now..
Death and hospitalisation levels should drop significantly in the short, and long, term. So basically live with this and all variants like the flu.

Unchecked concerns in the short term will be long covid, with or without vaccination, which no doctor has a fecking clue about yet. That information will be available by end of this year or next year. This still scares me. I am the only breadwinner and I can't afford to have brain fog rendering me useless for 6+ months.

We can only pray vaccination helps with lessening the risks of that too. But no one actually knows.