The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Interesting thread. Don’t want to kick off the tedious EU vs UK bickering again so I’ll focus on one of the tweets that isn’t about that and is news to me. Hancock scuppering the Merck partnership. That’s a real pity. Merck have loads of experience at developing vaccines. If they had run the development program we’d have far better phase III data than we do now (hence still not approved by the FDA). Might even have it approved earlier than it was in the UK/EU.

TheReligion

Abusive
That is you implying something I never said :) But my country have had cases worth looking into and have concluded that they must be an immune response after taking the vaccine.

Giving credit? I am happy you are doing better in the UK now, I really am! but I am not obliged to give you credit for communicating that the vaccine is safe, when I myself think the opposite :) For me it is a bit like: How many deaths and injuries are acceptable from a side effect? Should we not know more about who is at risk before using it? In my opinion, while some in here advocated that EU contries were political in stopping the AZ use, I think that some nations are political in not accepting that these conditions ARE side effects.

Today two more in Denmark had blood clots after the AZ vaccine, with brain bleeding. Two healthworkers. One is dead. Germany have adjusted their numbers from 7 to 12 and are still searching for more.

The EMA did not want to add this to the possible side effects from the vaccine, but Norway have concluded this is a side effect and there can be no other explanation.

So the full circle goes. EMA, WHO wants the vaccine to be used and thinks it is worth it if some people dies from it, since more can be saved.

It all depends on how you look at things I guess. I think that in my nation we want to have control over the side effects. If we knew who were at risk of these side effects, we could make sure these people did not have the vaccine, but others not at risk could have it.

I am not one to fuel hatred or saying we are better or this or that, but I do think that there is two agendas from two different cultures vs. the usage of vaccine here. One culture thinks purely full perspective and the other do not tolerate some few deaths and injuries as a result of the vaccine.

And both cultures can be correct also. 1. More lives in total can be saved by using the vaccine. 2. Some few people will be hospitalized or die from using it.

So this is a little bit about perspective and how one accepts the deaths of a few or not for the "greater good" in my opinion.

Outside of a pandemic, all nations would propably have stopped the use of a vaccine or medicine after similar reports.
I think the issue is you come across very condescending about it all and keen to try and get 'one up' on the UK.

Not sure why.

United Hobbit

Had mine (AZ) today. The efficiency of the vaccine centre was amazing and the staff all really welcoming

I took paracetamol after and I'll have some before bed. Apparently one of the side effects is headaches, and I'm prone to those at the best of times so I'll probably get one. Feeling quite tired but not sure if vaccine related

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I think the issue is you come across very condescending about it all and keen to try and get 'one up' on the UK.

Not sure why.
I think you invent things in your head. I do not know why.

Edit: also. I do not care/have an agenda with the UK on anything. My attitude towards UK in general is only positive, actually. I am neither on of those blaming the UK for the EU's failings in procuring them. I just write my thoughts as additions to or responses to others on this forum. What I do care about is other users trying to attribute me me a supposed agenda or twist my intentions of writing.

I will leave it at this.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Applied to be part of a civid vaccination trial today. No idea which vaccine or which phase or even if my age will disqualify me.

Suprised if it is a later stage vaccine trial as I assume they would pick places ravaged by covid for those.

Sydney Uni which is just up the road is developing a needle free DNA based vaccine so maybe it is that one?

https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the...trial-set-to-start-in-australia-c-1330339.amp

zing

Zingle balls
With so much of the population being vaccinated with the AZ jab which seemingly doesn’t protect against the SA variant, doesn’t that create an issue for further waves?

Wolverine

With so much of the population being vaccinated with the AZ jab which seemingly doesn’t protect against the SA variant, doesn’t that create an issue for further waves?
It depends
NEJM addressed this recently - https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214?query=featured_home
More layman friendly version of above - https://www.jwatch.org/na53369/2021/03/18/how-well-does-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-stand-against

Study from AZ on south african variant shows that while it's not great at preventing inoculated people from getting mild-to-moderate covid, jury is out on whether it prevents severe covid (hospitalisation, death). We know most of our vaccines show T cell responses to these strains though which is probably a good thing.

I think what will happen is aggressive monitoring of variant strains - isolation for travellers from areas where that strain is known, genomics, contact tracing until we see updated versions of AZ and the mRNAs come out with annual "booster" type vaccines to address the new strains.

Last edited:

Sylar

Had mine (AZ) today. The efficiency of the vaccine centre was amazing and the staff all really welcoming

I took paracetamol after and I'll have some before bed. Apparently one of the side effects is headaches, and I'm prone to those at the best of times so I'll probably get one. Feeling quite tired but not sure if vaccine related
Had mine yesterday evening and felt the same. Also felt so cold at night (shivering)
Have had a headache on and off and dry throat too

Hopefully should feel better by evening

United Hobbit

Had mine yesterday evening and felt the same. Also felt so cold at night (shivering)
Have had a headache on and off and dry throat too

Hopefully should feel better by evening
Had Mine at at 2:30 ish yesterday, took paracetamol around 3pm when I got home, also took some before bed around half 10, felt quite drowsy.

Woke up about 7:30, took some more paracetamol, legs felt a bit odd walking down the stairs bit headachy

Went back to bed, allowed myself an undisturbed lie in (surprisingly the cats cooperated with this!) Just woken up and feel OK though muscles feel a bit twitchy.

My boyfriend (both had them yesterday) apparently feels "terrible" but is still going to go round his parents and move loads of heavy boxes.....

I had the flu jab nov/Dec time and had a banging headache for a couple of days after, wonder if this is why I'm not overly reacting to this?

I'm in the office tomorrow, hope symptoms aren't delayed until then...

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Sore/sensitive arm for a day.

Swollen glands 2 days later which lasted a other day or 2.

Feel grand now and second shot mid May. Bring it.

Traub

It depends
NEJM addressed this recently - https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2102214?query=featured_home
More layman friendly version of above - https://www.jwatch.org/na53369/2021/03/18/how-well-does-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-stand-against

Study from AZ on south african variant shows that while it's not great at preventing inoculated people from getting mild-to-moderate covid, jury is out on whether it prevents severe covid (hospitalisation, death). We know most of our vaccines show T cell responses to these strains though which is probably a good thing.

I think what will happen is aggressive monitoring of variant strains - isolation for travellers from areas where that strain is known, genomics, contact tracing until we see updated versions of AZ and the mRNAs come out with annual "booster" type vaccines to address the new strains.
Big problem is only a few countries are actually testing as far as I’m aware. I read somewhere (sorry can’t find the source) that the SA strain is in 27 countries as far as they can tell. My guess is it’s in far more than that, and it’ll just be a case of a second round of vaccines for everyone before anyone goes back to normal.

zing

Zingle balls
Big problem is only a few countries are actually testing as far as I’m aware. I read somewhere (sorry can’t find the source) that the SA strain is in 27 countries as far as they can tell. My guess is it’s in far more than that, and it’ll just be a case of a second round of vaccines for everyone before anyone goes back to normal.
Yea. I’m thinking that it must already be there everywhere, just not being tested for rigorously. It’s been around for a long time now.

Sylar

Had Mine at at 2:30 ish yesterday, took paracetamol around 3pm when I got home, also took some before bed around half 10, felt quite drowsy.

Woke up about 7:30, took some more paracetamol, legs felt a bit odd walking down the stairs bit headachy

Went back to bed, allowed myself an undisturbed lie in (surprisingly the cats cooperated with this!) Just woken up and feel OK though muscles feel a bit twitchy.

My boyfriend (both had them yesterday) apparently feels "terrible" but is still going to go round his parents and move loads of heavy boxes.....

I had the flu jab nov/Dec time and had a banging headache for a couple of days after, wonder if this is why I'm not overly reacting to this?

I'm in the office tomorrow, hope symptoms aren't delayed until then...
Had to read the line several times thinking, both of your bfs had it
Then thought you meant your bf had both doses which makes no sense. So it finally clicked both you and he had it, which makes more sense as me and my gf both had it yesterday too

United Hobbit

Had to read the line several times thinking, both of your bfs had it
Then thought you meant your bf had both doses which makes no sense. So it finally clicked both you and he had it, which makes more sense as me and my gf both had it yesterday too
Yes sorry meant we both had our first doses yesterday I feel mostly OK bit clammy, he feels flu like, how about you and your gf?

I'd be interested if those who had the flu jab suffer less as I did have it, but he didn't yet got a banging headache for 2 days after the flu jab

wr8_utd

:'(
For any of you based in London, how is the vaccination process and who all are eligible for a jab? My brother works in London and he's 35 so would he come into a category that can get a shot anytime soon or is it still months? With daily records being set and half the adult population in the UK vaccinated, it can't be far away, no?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
For any of you based in London, how is the vaccination process and who all are eligible for a jab? My brother works in London and he's 35 so would he come into a category that can get a shot anytime soon or is it still months? With daily records being set and half the adult population in the UK vaccinated, it can't be far away, no?
Not that predictable right now. They're focused on over 50s, health and social care workers, risk groups (and their formal/informal carers) + lots of second doses. That will probably take most of their March/April supplies.

They thought they could keep the first jab rate up despite the number of second jabs they were doing - and they've got the vaccinating capacity to do it. But they haven't got some of the vaccine supplies they were hoping for. I'd guess May for your brother, but I think it's all about vaccine deliveries now.

F-Red

Does he have an underlying health condition listed here? If so, then he'll be in group 6. If not, then I would suggest he'll be around May time.

wr8_utd

:'(
Not that predictable right now. They're focused on over 50s, health and social care workers, risk groups (and their formal/informal carers) + lots of second doses. That will probably take most of their March/April supplies.

They thought they could keep the first jab rate up despite the number of second jabs they were doing - and they've got the vaccinating capacity to do it. But they haven't got some of the vaccine supplies they were hoping for. I'd guess May for your brother, but I think it's all about vaccine deliveries now.
Does he have an underlying health condition listed here? If so, then he'll be in group 6. If not, then I would suggest he'll be around May time.
Thanks, guys :)
There's no underlying health conditions so looks like it'll be May. Which is fairly quick anyway.

Cal?

CR7 fan
My brother (USA based) got his second Pfizer yesterday. So happy for him.
Good to know, how long do you guys in generally have to wait for 2nd dose?

I've already got an appointment for 3 weeks from tomorrow for the 2nd one.

Skills

Snitch

Everyone but the UK is following the 3 week waiting period. In the UK it's up to 12 weeks

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Well, I’m in Ireland, cocooning due to doctors orders and still haven’t seen a first appointment. So.. dunno.

my brother got done in America. Slightly cheated. Told the pharmacy he was a carer for his mother in law. He could be but he’s not. They don’t do any great checks. He got his second yesterday which was about 3-4 weeks or so after the first. Pfizer.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Well, I’m in Ireland, cocooning due to doctors orders and still haven’t seen a first appointment. So.. dunno.

my brother got done in America. Slightly cheated. Told the pharmacy he was a carer for his mother in law. He could be but he’s not. They don’t do any great checks. He got his second yesterday which was about 3-4 weeks or so after the first. Pfizer.
Yeah, it’s 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 weeks for moderna.
I might have told a little pork pie too, said I was a smoker. Which used to be true....

Cal?

CR7 fan
Everyone but the UK is following the 3 week waiting period. In the UK it's up to 12 weeks
Here in HK the response isn't great at all to vaccines, so basically anyone who wants one can have one now.

Same here in HK, the supposed priority group is opened to 30 and above, and there are so many other categories like restaurant, retail stores etc and they basically don't check.

Classical Mechanic

@jojojo

Do you know anything about this place?

https://www.vmicuk.com/about-us

Daily Mail reckon that it’s opening soon and will make us independent of other nations for vaccine manufacturing. They didn’t say when exactly it will be producing vaccines so I’m thinking it’s not going to be that soon. I’m wondering if it will actually make us vaccine manufacturing independent ?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Just had my vaccination (AZ), fingers crossed after reading this thread :)

In UK, can't comment on other countries but the efficiency of the centre was amazing. Queued outside 30 seconds, in to one of several people registering, then into hall where several people doing vaccinations, sleeve up, done, out (to sit in car 10 minutes).

Doubt I was inside 3 minutes in total.
Congrats. Hope you are well :)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Congrats. Hope you are well :)
Je vais bien merci. Comment allez-vous?

That's my schoolboy French over :)

Nice to hear from you

Glad to get vaccination done, been working at home one year last week which was a miserable milestone - been depressing, working day in day out in one room of the house. So getting a call out of the blue to come in was a well needed boost.

How's life.. work, family, country?

Looking forward to May now. Season over (top.4 whoopy shit), pubs open, better weather, birthday. Hopefully the start of some normality.

Hope all ok your end (or as good as it can be).

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I haven't looked into the details - is the fatal clotting happening after the first or second shot (or both)? I am very concerned about my mother's sudden bruise after the first shot, but she and her doctor don't seem to be.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
@jojojo

Do you know anything about this place?

https://www.vmicuk.com/about-us

Daily Mail reckon that it’s opening soon and will make us independent of other nations for vaccine manufacturing. They didn’t say when exactly it will be producing vaccines so I’m thinking it’s not going to be that soon. I’m wondering if it will actually make us vaccine manufacturing independent ?
VMIC got its funding approval in 2019, with an intention of being ready to manufacture (from clinical trial quantity through to production quantity) a couple of different vaccine types. Basically an acknowledgment that there was no spare capacity in the vaccine production plants and a pooled resource for trials work was important as there's not (normally) much money in the vaccine business. It also got some funding as a a result of one of those NHS pandemic preparedness reviews that identified the lack of surge capacity as an issue.

It was expected to come online sometime in 2022, but got some serious fasttrack funding due to covid. They recruited staff early and bought the manufacturing kit before they had premises and they started building the labs and the factory unit before they had formal planning consent from the local authority for example.

I've read their kit and their new staff have been making AZ in borrowed premises, for the last few months, pending completion of their own permanent buildings. So they're kind of starting now really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I haven't looked into the details - is the fatal clotting happening after the first or second shot (or both)? I am very concerned about my mother's sudden bruise after the first shot, but she and her doctor don't seem to be.
Dunno if you saw my previous response but a sudden large bruise at the injection site wouldn’t worry me at all. It’s easy enough to nick a blood vessel giving the elderly (or middle-aged) an IM injection. Timing is important too. The coagulopathy is immune mediated, so will take a while to kick in. A punctured blood vessel will give a big old bruise in < 24 hours.