The Virgin League Draft - King Kendrick vs. Pat_Mustard & Jim Beam (GROUP D)

With players in their 3 year career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Well the Mourinho stuff is for the manager to justify. I haven’t read an OP in yonks.

Difference for Sterling here is that England don’t have passers of the quality of Sócrates, Cantona, De Boer or Ballack to find him in space.

As for Cantona I just buy him more than most as a #9. @Polaroid played him on that role in this game and I never dissed it as it seemed a good use of his talents.
Polaroid?

Jim Beam

Ok, am done. It was always meant to pull some controversy and we have enough information to know what to do next. So, much appreciated.

Pat, the stage is yours.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve gone with bean mustard. I can’t see past Cantona being uptop on his own like that, it was really close but I went from liking Kendrick a team to seeing a few flaws after reading the thread

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just to ease your soul...

Haha, I watched a few Francescoli vids because I was going to pick him in the drafting when looking at forwards. before I watch that vid I’d just like to clarify I didn’t think your team won by default just because I didn’t like the opposition, I think your team would work well, I just could see a few niggles in Kendricks team.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ok, am done. It was always meant to pull some controversy and we have enough information to know what to do next. So, much appreciated.

Pat, the stage is yours.
Only I am allowed to use any Batman-related references in this draft. Any other copyright infringements and a certain Johann K. will hunt you down. This is the first and the last warning.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Finally. What do you think in terms of Favre team? Much appreciated.
Well, from interviews I've read I think it's quite clear Favre prefers a back four :D A back three seems more like a plan B for stability, when the squad isn't really suited to a back four (which is the case in Dortmund).

That said, it is a functioning system and I think it generally fits your team well. But I wouldn't really associate your collection of players with Favre football from a stylistic POV. Even though he worked with all kinds of players, the basic requirements are pretty strict imo, for the peculiar mix of free-floating Cruijff football & rather classic stability focus.

Unfortunately can't watch the video you posted because of country restriction.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Belated well wishes to you @King Kendrick , before the customary assault on your weeks' worth of research ;) . Will limit it to three posts as per rules.

Basically, we had no idea how you would line-up and the end result is good. Cantona/Socrates is about as cool a central attacking axis as you can assemble in drafts..but it just doesn't seem to suit early Chelsea Jose at all. Socrates is the antithesis of Lampard stylistically, Cantona had impressive physicality with his back to goal but minimal workrate and completely different style of movement off the ball to Drogba - I just really struggle to see how this hits the mark as an early-Jose team. Even philosophy-wise, which is where I normally hate being too emphatic about things, Socrates/Mourinho just seem like complete, polar opposites.

@Gio agree with your assessment that Cantona looks natural as a F9 - so much strength and back-to-goal presence when he's doing the actual #9 bit, superb creativity when he's dropping off, and that natural instinct for making the final pass rather than goal-hunting. Hazard doesn't seem a good fit here as a wide-forward foil though. Sterling does, though ideally on the other side.

@Fortitude excellent anaysis, but not only does the Drogba-less attack fail to exploit Koeman's slightlly-exagerated flaws defensively but he's not pressed at all in possession. We knew this team wouldn't be loved across the board, but the quality of our deeper build-up is insane - Koeman as the deeper pass-master, Marcelo as the great all-around LWB, hoever people rate TAA as an all-rounder his offensive talents can't be in doubt at this stage.

Will try tomorrow but can't wrap my head around some of the other comments - our big worry here was being too gung-ho and we're being told we're lined up too defensive, as if anyone would ever tell TAA and Marcelo to bunker up and act like defensive FBs instead of their actual roles here .

Jim Beam

Belated well wishes to you @King Kendrick , before the customary assault on your weeks' worth of research ;) . Will limit it to three posts as per rules.

Basically, we had no idea how you would line-up and the end result is good. Cantona/Socrates is about as cool a central attacking axis as you can assemble in drafts..but it just doesn't seem to suit early Chelsea Jose at all. Socrates is the antithesis of Lampard stylistically, Cantona had impressive physicality with his back to goal but minimal workrate and completely different style of movement off the ball to Drogba - I just really struggle to see how this hits the mark as an early-Jose team. Even philosophy-wise, which is where I normally hate being too emphatic about things, Socrates/Mourinho just seem like complete, polar opposites.

@Gio agree with your assessment that Cantona looks natural as a F9 - so much strength and back-to-goal presence when he's doing the actual #9 bit, superb creativity when he's dropping off, and that natural instinct for making the final pass rather than goal-hunting. Hazard doesn't seem a good fit here as a wide-forward foil though. Sterling does, though ideally on the other side.

@Fortitude excellent anaysis, but not only does the Drogba-less attack fail to exploit Koeman's slightlly-exagerated flaws defensively but he's not pressed at all in possession. We knew this team wouldn't be loved across the board, but the quality of our deeper build-up is insane - Koeman as the deeper pass-master, Marcelo as the great all-around LWB, hoever people rate TAA as an all-rounder his offensive talents can't be in doubt at this stage.

Will try tomorrow but can't wrap my head around some of the other comments - our big worry here was being too gung-ho and we're being told we're lined up too defensive, as if anyone would ever tell TAA and Marcelo to bunker up and act like defensive FBs instead of their actual roles here .
What a wonderful attempt of a balanced/sober post.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I agree with all this post and is what I would have written if I could

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Went with Pat/Beam. And no, not because of being bribed with podcasts.

Jim Beam

Good game @King Kendrick. I think it is a great team, but just not Mourinho one. Sorry for spamming later on and hope it didn't ruin the game.

@harms we won and here is one for you

And now you, my comrade. As I said, we are friends until 15th, it went too personal.

Also, you are leading next one. God bless.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
:lol: