Other The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling

Vapor trail

That is a different point though isn't it. You asked me if I thought gay people and homophobes would be seen as dogmatic and combative with each other - I said yes I did think that. What you are suggesting is that I have said that homophobes are just as right in their views as gay people and that possibly I think being gay is a choice. Why are you jumping to those conclusions? This is ridiculous.

You are however highlighting exactly what I think is the problem with even trying to discuss this topic - if you suggest you might think slightly differently from 'the right way' people jump on you and believe that you are a raging homophobe, transphobic evil person.
That's the way and the direction the world and society are becoming and why cancel culture is a strong factor. It's cowardice.

DanH

I think “actually this Trans person who has denounced her involvement and explained why in a long well written statement is actually lying because she’s scared of other trans people and I like the podcast” is a pretty bold take.
It is a bold take to think someone has a basic responsibility to check what they are signing up to before doing it?

caid

Fair enough. Out of interest what do you think her views are?
I dont remember dude. I've read a couple dozen interviews / tweets and my consistent reaction was this is dumb and could easily be addressed if you spent 5 minutes listening to someone qualified. These are absolute bottom of the barrel debate points. They're too ignorant to warrant more than 5 seconds thought or to be remembered years after the fact.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I dont remember dude. I've read a couple dozen interviews / tweets and my consistent reaction was this is dumb and could easily be addressed if you spent 5 minutes listening to someone qualified. These are absolute bottom of the barrel debate points. They're too ignorant to warrant more than 5 seconds thought or to be remembered years after the fact.
Ahhhh OK, fair enough.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Help me understand why you feel so strongly about that statement. I think it's a reasonable stance to have personally.
Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed here, but do you think this idea extends to the "debate" around homosexuality?
Because without a calm and civil discussion there can never be the opportunity to change people's views. Also, there clearly is a middle ground here to be found. This is not a black and white issue, you can respect trans rights but also be concerned about certain issues - this is possible. It's not all or nothing.
It just reads a bit like "there are very fine people on both sides" and it somehow presents the two groups as equally legitimate in their views and the lengths to which they'll defend them. Which just seems a bit mad. It's mad enough that homosexuality was still criminal in Ireland in the 90s but still, we're in a pretty good place now, I thought. We don't really consider "the other side" a legitimate position to take, surely.

Sara125

Anyway I’m not sure why J K Rowling is so hellbent on destroying her legacy like this. Granted, she doesn’t care and die hard HP fans can look past the transphobia but the way this all came out of nowhere from her is so odd

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Anyway I’m not sure why J K Rowling is so hellbent on destroying her legacy like this. Granted, she doesn’t care and die hard HP fans can look past the transphobia but the way this all came out of nowhere from her is so odd
She believes the idea of legacy is pompous and ridiculous, her point on this charge in the podcast is interesting.