Other The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Been a really good listen so far.

I saw it was hosted by Megan Phelps-Roper and I was like, surely not the Westboro Baptist Church girl? It was the very same, made famous about eighteen years ago on the Louis Theroux documentary.

Really enjoying the guest contributors too, who I've enjoyed their work, women such as Angela Nagle, Katherine Dee (Default Friend), Helen Lewis, Natalie Wynn (Contrapoints).

Really interesting in episode 3 the conversations around the rise of internet communities like Tumblr and 4Chan, big walk down memory lane for a certain age group for sure!

Anyone else listening?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Been a really good listen so far.

I saw it was hosted by Megan Phelps-Roper and I was like, surely not the Westboro Baptist Church girl? It was the very same, made famous about eighteen years ago on the Louis Theroux documentary.

Really enjoying the guest contributors too, who I've enjoyed their work, women such as Angela Nagle, Katherine Dee (Default Friend), Helen Lewis, Natalie Wynn (Contrapoints).

Really interesting in episode 3 the conversations around the rise of internet communities like Tumblr and 4Chan, big walk down memory lane for a certain age group for sure!

Anyone else listening?
Where can I find it?

rpitchfo

Two episodes in and I’m really enjoying it. Megan is fiercely intelligent and the whole thing is methodical, calm in how it’s presented. Hope it continues as it is.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Popular Youtuber Natalie Wynn/Contrapoints is going to show up here. She regrets her choice, and feels used by Phelps-Roper.

Trans YouTuber explains why she ‘broke down and cried’ on J.K. Rowling podcast and Trans YouTuber says she ‘feels used’ after guesting on J.K. Rowling podcast: ‘A lapse in judgement’ by PinkNews, plus Twitter thread:
This does come across as her not being happy that the discussion was fairly balanced to both sides of the debate and not biased in the way she wanted. I'll give this podcast a listen to make up my own mind.

nimic

something nice
Scout
This does come across as her not being happy that the discussion was fairly balanced to both sides of the debate and not biased in the way she wanted.
This post comes across as not understanding what she wrote at all. The very point she was making is that this shouldn't be a "both sides" thing. Does everything deserve fairly balanced, not biased take?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This post comes across as not understanding what she wrote at all. The very point she was making is that this shouldn't be a "both sides" thing. Does everything deserve fairly balanced, not biased take?
Why shouldn't it?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Trans rights vs terf doesn’t really feel like a “the answer is somewhere in the middle” kinda thing.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why shouldn't it?
It's not my fight, it's hers, and the points are all there in the thread.

She needs above all else to believe that bigots are misunderstood & redeemable. So instead of committing to anti-bigotry post-Westboro, she's retreated to a spineless skepticism with no moral convictions beyond wondering, "Who's the REAL bigot here? I guess we'll never know."
This empty centrism cannot conceive of systemic power, of the legislative, institutional, and stochastic terror threats wielded against LGBT people. In assessing the "trans debate" it has no standard but civility by which to judge the merits of "both sides."
Megan does not seem to grasp that trans people are fighting for our lives, our right to exist in society. And that this fight is in no way equivalent to the rationalizations offered up by people who oppose trans rights, even when the former are angry and the latter composed.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's not my fight, it's hers, and the points are all there in the thread.
Yes like I said she is upset that the debate wasn't one sided and aligned with her own beliefs. At least that's how it comes across.

DanH

I don't get how she can feel used. The points in the thread posted don't indicate it.

Not to get into the rights or wrongs of the podcast, purely that lady saying she felt used.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yes like I said she is upset that the debate wasn't one sided and aligned with her own beliefs. At least that's how it comes across.
Try to look at it from her perspective. It'd kinda be like a Jewish person listening to a podcast about the Holocaust and the host bringing on the ghost of Henry Ford to make sure it's a fairly balanced, unbiased take.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

This does come across as her not being happy that the discussion was fairly balanced to both sides of the debate and not biased in the way she wanted. I'll give this podcast a listen to make up my own mind.
I think it's the blowback from her community and the abuse she received for being involved, see this a lot unfortunately.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Try to look at it from her perspective. It'd kinda be like a Jewish person listening to a podcast about the Holocaust and the host bringing on the ghost of Henry Ford to make sure it's a fairly balanced, unbiased take.
Wtf?

Sweet Square

Tbh I haven’t listened to the podcast as I’m sure it’s shite. But the trans online “debate” isn’t actually about anything other than a bunch of media people who don’t believe in anything, desperately trying to get clicks in order to pay rent.

hobbers

She's written that because of the abuse she'll have received from her own little corner of twitter.

'Not my fault, I was duped, please keep hitting that like and subscribe button' etc

nimic

something nice
Scout
Tbh I haven’t listened to the podcast as I’m sure it’s shite. But the trans online “debate” isn’t actually about anything other than a bunch of media people who don’t believe in anything, desperately trying to get clicks in order to pay rent.
This one is actually a trans woman though, so I think she has skin in the game (is that the right way to use that phrase? I've always wanted to use it).

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not sure that's a great comparison to make... Mentioning the Holocaust is a bit much to say the least.

All I'll say is that getting upset because you had a discussion with someone and the conversation wasn't as one sided as you had thought it should have been does suggest that maybe you have been in an echo chamber too long. I say this generally not just for these particular tweets. If it is because of a backlash from the trans community then that's not great either.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

She's written that because of the abuse she'll have received from her own little corner of twitter.

'Not my fault, I was duped, please keep hitting that like and subscribe button' etc
Yes, it's every time someone even dares engage with something labelled "problematic".

Which is a shame as she is a great content creator, wicked smart and funny.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Where do we start? You're invoking the Holocaust to make a point.
And that trans woman clearly feels like her right to exist is being challenged today. You're not blind, I'm sure you're aware of the sorts of things that are said about transsexual people in some circles today. Henry Ford is honestly a very appropriate comparison in that regard.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

And that trans woman clearly feels like her right to exist is being challenged today. You're not blind, I'm sure you're aware of the sorts of things that are said about transsexual people in some circles today. Henry Ford is honestly a very appropriate comparison in that regard.
I think this is an offensive term that isn't used anymore.

DanH

Again, nothing to say that she was misled about the podcast she was invited to do.

Sweet Square

This one is actually a trans woman though, so I think she has skin in the game (is that the right way to use that phrase? I've always wanted to use it).
Yeah that’s a fair point.

It’s just imo : Angela Nagle was some type of radical lefty and now is on the nationalist right. Helen Lewis started off at the Daily Mail then went to Newstateman(Centre left) and is on some terf shite.Contrapoints was a Bernie social democratic who ended up doing tv bits with Hilary Clinton.

There’s no ideology or long term thinking with these people, it’s flip flopping from one view point to the next, all of which is based off media consumption and headlines. It’s slightly famous internet people mostly complaining about the internet,’looking for rent/ways to pay the mortgage. It’s impossible to take anything they say seriously.

Bebe

Well said.

NotThatSoph

I'm not surprised that this is your takeaway, and I think listening to the podcast will confirm your impression no matter what is actually said.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Yeah that’s a fair point.

It’s just imo : Angela Nagle was some type of radical lefty and now is on the nationalist right. Helen Lewis started off at the Daily Mail then went to Newstateman(Centre left) and is on some terf shite.Contrapoints was a Bernie social democratic who ended up doing tv bits with Hilary Clinton.

There’s no ideology or long term thinking with these people, it’s flip flopping from one view point to the next, all of which is based off media consumption and headlines. It’s slightly famous internet people mostly complaining about the internet,’looking for rent/ways to pay the mortgage. It’s impossible to take anything they say seriously.
I think Helen Lewis is at The Atlantic now and I enjoyed her latest podcast series, was interesting and funny. Also felt she demolished Jordan Peterson in the infamous GQ interview.

Contrapoints YouTube content is great, really well written, funny and thought provoking.

Haven't heard much of late from Angela Nagle but her book is good.

I feel like this kinda shows the issue, which is taking someone like Contrapoints and dismissing them and their work/content because they spoke to someone that a certain group dislikes.

Fair enough, each to their own, just feel it's quite a closed approach.

NotThatSoph

Think it was about 18 months ago she called out the doxxing of Rowling and the behaviour of some people and then rowed back real fast when she herself got a lot of angry tweets.
So she got some backlash 18 months ago, decided to do a podcast recently, and then regretted her actions because she forgot and then remembred the backlash that happened a few years ago?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not surprised that this is your takeaway, and I think listening to the podcast will confirm your impression no matter what is actually said.
I don't think that's fair. I haven't even listened to it yet so I've no idea what I'll think of it. I'm all for having a fair and balanced debate and if the podcast reflects this then I'll probably find it interesting. God knows I probably need to learn more about the topic.

Tarrou

Why shouldn't it?
sometimes one side is wrong and doesn't deserve a fair equivalence in the media

for example oil company lobbyists talking about climate change

Contrapoints obviously feels that way about transphobes denying the rights of trans people, which is surely fair enough