Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Woodzy

What a fecking mess. Finished it and aside for episode 6 (which in itself while very entertaining was filled with terrible dialogue and too much choppiness) it was just a shambles.

I really don’t understand what’s going on most of the time

I still haven’t worked out how there are two Ciri’s, how the one ended up with Nilfgaard and who the one at the very end was supposed to be.

I don’t understand how Vogelfortz had a massive scar on his face despite absolutely destroying Geralt.

The fact that characters are two completely different places from scene to scene is insane, it’s beyond GoT season levels of fast travel.

There’s also been barely any focus on Emyr, who is supposed to be the big bad guy but you literally see him about 3 or 4 times all season. And even Vogelfortz appeared like twice after his fight with Geralt. There’s pretty much zero character development in a show that has about a million characters.

Also, the last 20 minutes of episode 8 it seems to finally pick back up and it turns out to be the fecking end of the series.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Episode 6 was a tease to make me think they might finish on a high note, but at least they were polite enough to immediately let me down in E7.

Watching a review, I think I underrated Ciri's actress performance. What I see now is, other than the material she was given, the problem is they completely screwed up her and Yennefer's relationship in S2. Ciri actually had good chemistry with Geralt, but ruining the other chemistry meant what should have been the core of the show - their 'family' - didn't work.

In retrospect the show might have peaked in S1E1.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
What a fecking mess. Finished it and aside for episode 6 (which in itself while very entertaining was filled with terrible dialogue and too much choppiness) it was just a shambles.

I still haven’t worked out how there are two Ciri’s, how the one ended up with Nilfgaard and who the one at the very end was supposed to be.

I don’t understand how Vogelfortz had a massive scar on his face despite absolutely destroying Geralt.

The fact that characters are two completely different places from scene to scene is insane, it’s beyond GoT season levels of fast travel.

There’s also been barely any focus on Emyr, who is supposed to be the big bad guy but you literally see him about 3 or 4 times all season. And even Vogelfortz appeared like twice after his fight with Geralt. There’s pretty much zero character development in a show that has about a million characters.

Also, the last 20 minutes of episode 8 it seems to finally pick back up and it turns out to be the fecking end of the series.
Can't comment on your latter two spoilered points as I pretty much agree but to answer the first 2 questions:
The one with Nilfgaard was the one Geralt rescued earlier in the season - she'd been experimented on by Vilgefortz to make her believe she was Ciri. The one at the end was the real Ciri.

Vilgefortz was in the tower with Ciri when it exploded in episode 6. Can't remember how she teleported elsewhere but he presumably took it in the face.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

They experimented with the girls to make them believe they are Ciri. A bunch died. The one that showed up in Nilfgaard is one who was successful, not a real Ciri. Emhyr didn't believe it but they'd rather just announce they are successful.

Vilgefortz was in the tower with Ciri when she blew it up. Ciri got teleported by doing it, Vilgefortz was injured.

Woodzy

Can't comment on your latter two spoilered points as I pretty much agree but to answer the first 2 questions:
The one with Nilfgaard was the one Geralt rescued earlier in the season - she'd been experimented on by Vilgefortz to make her believe she was Ciri. The one at the end was the real Ciri.

Vilgefortz was in the tower with Ciri when it exploded in episode 6. Can't remember how she teleported elsewhere but he presumably took it in the face.
They experimented with the girls to make them believe they are Ciri. A bunch died. The one that showed up in Nilfgaard is one who was successful, not a real Ciri. Emhyr didn't believe it but they'd rather just announce they are successful.

Vilgefortz was in the tower with Ciri when she blew it up. Ciri got teleported by doing it, Vilgefortz was injured.
Cheers both! Not sure how I missed both those details, guess I just didn't pay much attention throughout the series.

lsd

The Oracle
I stopped watching it when i heard Caville was getting laughed at by the writers for taking the role seriously.

I don't see why anyone would continue watching a show like that and honestly if people watch the show once he leaves even if to give out about it then they are as bad as the writers and showrunner.

Just ignore it and let it die

SoCross

At least they are honouring (poorly) the source material now for the most part.

Milva, Falka - acting is horrible. Zero character development. Episode 7, the dialogue given to Ciri is super poor.

Episode 8 picked up though, and sucker that I am, I want more of this universe. Can’t imagine LH as Geralt though.

The Nilfgaardian armour was done well and Jaskier’s “howling wind” was a nice nod to the game.

Last edited:

Simbo

At least they are honouring (poorly) the source material now for the most part.

Milva, Falka - acting is horrible. Zero character development. Episode 7, the dialogue given to Ciri is super poor.

Episode 8 picked up though, and sucker that I am, I want more of this universe. Can’t imagine LH as Geralt though.

The Nilfgaardian armour was done well and Jaskier’s “howling wind” was a nice to the game.
Yeah those last 3 episodes were more booky, which I appreciated. I reckon they've just gone and confused the shit out of the none-book-readers though :lol:

They really needed to carry on that story though after Ciri met the gang. How the hell have they only managed 8 episodes after a year? Not like they're spending much on effects or acting talent. Or is the creator going all "equality" and paying everyone the same as Cavill? Aside from him and Freya, the rest should get minimum wage.

I want to like it, I've tried my best to like it, I finally liked it and they go "Ha, cya in 2 years... with a different cast" Bastards.

Ollie Derbyshire

I like it and can follow the story but some of the characters and acting are comica.

Are, Sigismund, Phillipa, the weird king and his brother meant to be for comedy value? They are all awful.

lilcurt

Not keeping Cavill is going to finish off the series which is disappointing, after S1 it had a lot of promise.
An example of showrunners buying into their own hype and believing they can outdo the source material.

After the lessons GoT should have taught studies, I honestly thought Netflix couldn't lose with The Witcher. All they had to do was respect the material and not make it woke. Failed on both counts.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I like it and can follow the story but some of the characters and acting are comica.

Are, Sigismund, Phillipa, the weird king and his brother meant to be for comedy value? They are all awful.
I actually kind of liked Phillipa and her cohort Dykstra (outside of a couple scenes that could've been cut). She seemed...weird, as I'd expect a scorcesess to appear.

To be clear I am speaking to the actors' performance here, not the terrible material they were handed to work with.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
An example of showrunners buying into their own hype and believing they can outdo the source material.

After the lessons GoT should have taught studies, I honestly thought Netflix couldn't lose with The Witcher. All they had to do was respect the material and not make it woke. Failed on both counts.
?

Tyrion

The king is hilarious tbh. He's the campest king I've seen in a show like this and makes me think a Blackadder character has walked on set. Philipa and Dijkstra are a little odd though. I don't really know what their deal is. At least they don't keep giving the inspiring speeches the way the other characters are.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Woke bad. Woke not good. Not like woke ugg ugg *bangs stick against bin*
I don't really get how the show is woke. Aside from the entirely thin and white book characters being played by some black actors, there's no real ideology to it. That said the casting of Fringilla, the black sorceress who's friends with the elven queen, is weird considering....

...later on in the story, Geralt sleeps with her because she reminds him of Yen. Apparently he actually screams Yens name during sex with her which may explain the VERY cold reception she gives him when they meet in the games. :lol: There's no fear of him making that mistake

lilcurt

I don't really get how the show is woke. Aside from the entirely thin and white book characters being played by some black actors, there's no real ideology to it. That said the casting of Fringilla, the black sorceress who's friends with the elven queen, is weird considering....

...later on in the story, Geralt sleeps with her because she reminds him of Yen. Apparently he actually screams Yens name during sex with her which may explain the VERY cold reception she gives him when they meet in the games. :lol: There's no fear of him making that mistake
One of my issues that make it feel woke (although perhaps the wrong label), is that the show is called The Witcher, yet he is very much a side character, especially in this latest series. In terms of character development and poignant moments, they have very much belonged to Yen and Ciri.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Shoulda just renamed her to Fridgezilla for the show.

padr81

Supports
Man City
One of my issues that make it feel woke (although perhaps the wrong label), is that the show is called The Witcher, yet he is very much a side character, especially in this latest series. In terms of character development and poignant moments, they have very much belonged to Yen and Ciri.
This happens a lot I feel with stories where the main character doesn't drive the plot or any of the plot really.

I don't think it's anything to do with woke, Geralt doesn't drive the plot at all, he's more reactive and is driven by it, people would be even more confused if the show was more Geralt focused with less time elsewhere.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
To be fair, Ciri is also the main plot in the entire game. Geralt's entire mission is finding and protecting Ciri.

I actually liked it. Is it the best show ever? Hell no. Is it a show about a game I consider to be one of the best I've ever played? Hell yes. That's why I'll keep watching.

Ollie Derbyshire

I actually kind of liked Phillipa and her cohort Dykstra (outside of a couple scenes that could've been cut). She seemed...weird, as I'd expect a scorcesess to appear.

To be clear I am speaking to the actors' performance here, not the terrible material they were handed to work with.
I could live without them all, they are just complete opposite of the elven queen and the 'other' king (can't remember his name).

Ollie Derbyshire

The king is hilarious tbh. He's the campest king I've seen in a show like this and makes me think a Blackadder character has walked on set. Philipa and Dijkstra are a little odd though. I don't really know what their deal is. At least they don't keep giving the inspiring speeches the way the other characters are.
Haha yes, he'd be right at home in Blackadder alongside Nursie ! His brother is nearly as bad as well. Like they have both just been brought in of the street to actor for the first time.

Phillipa and Dijkstra, best less said about those two the better. They are a terrible double act.

Counterfactual

Well, I loved the first series, but it has gone a long way downhill since. I can see why Henry Cavill dropped the role because his part diminished to less than a sidekick.

Why did they kill off so many characters? Visimir, Tissaia, Rience (who only popped up to die in 2 seconds), Fenn and Codringher (assumed), Gallatin, Artorius, Francesca's brother and husband, Stregobor (assumed). Even Cahir looked like he popped up simply to go off a cliff, then didn't. It's like they ran out of steam and killed everyone off.

Blake's 7, anyone? :D

Bobski

It peaked in the first episode of the first season. Should have made Renfri a feature length movie.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Does the books have snarky, "modern" dialogue like the show does?

It's medieval fantasy and while I don't expect thouest this and thouest that the Marvel-lite snark some characters do is jarring.

Tyrion

That makes sense. I have heard that Ciri is arguably the main character in one or two of the later books but not the initial ones and Yen is probably in more of the show than him so far.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

It's medieval fantasy and while I don't expect thouest this and thouest that the Marvel-lite snark some characters do is jarring.
It doesn't, and the characters don't need to say "feck" every three seconds to convey how mature and serious they are.

Woodzy

I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones earlier. It’s crazy how much better everything about it is, and it’s not like it comes down to budget at that point either because next to nothing really happens in that first episode. It all just comes down to proper character development and dialogue.

You would feel like after GoT, shows like the Witcher would have a pretty easy time for knowing what sorts of things work in this type of setting.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones earlier. It’s crazy how much better everything about it is, and it’s not like it comes down to budget at that point either because next to nothing really happens in that first episode. It all just comes down to proper character development and dialogue.

You would feel like after GoT, shows like the Witcher would have a pretty easy time for knowing what sorts of things work in this type of setting.
I think the Witcher set out to be a much more high fantasy and fun show than GoT. They're both fantasy but they are vastly different fantasy, even with the books AsoiF is much darker, more realistic and less fun than the Witcher series. Had they made a cheap Game of Thrones I'd have hated the show to be honest. The Witcher just doesn't take itself too seriously, whether the books, the games or the show.

Its always had more in common with Robert Jordan than George RR Martin.

lilcurt

Maybe time is being kind to The Ring of Power but I honestly think this latest season of The Witcher is even worse than that. This latest season is definitely worse than Wheel of Time.

This should have been the easiest fantasy show to make. So much material to work with, games that people love which help set a tone, and the hindsight from GoT failing to stick the landing.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
even with the books AsoiF is much darker, more realistic and less fun than the Witcher series
The Witcher just doesn't take itself too seriously, whether the books
Care to give an example of the fun or the less seriousness in the Witcher books? Because I've read both, GoT and the Witcher books three times and I've never felt that way. So I'm curious where you think Sapkowski's Witcher doesn't take itself too seriously.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe time is being kind to The Ring of Power but I honestly think this latest season of The Witcher is even worse than that. This latest season is definitely worse than Wheel of Time.

This should have been the easiest fantasy show to make. So much material to work with, games that people love which help set a tone, and the hindsight from GoT failing to stick the landing.
I don't rate this 3rd season at all, but it's definitely better than that dumpster fire. The world's greatest example that you can't buy class.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Care to give an example of the fun or the less seriousness in the Witcher books? Because I've read both, GoT and the Witcher books three times and I've never felt that way. So I'm curious where you think Sapkowski's Witcher doesn't take itself too seriously.
Maybe doesn't take itself too seriously is the wrong wording but isn't as dark all the time is better is a better way to put it.

While the book tone is more grown up than the tv show it's still a very generic high fantasy setting for the most part which I guess I just can't take too seriously (even if I prefer high fantasy to stuff like got).
It's just very hard to read and take seriously.

Using got as an example, the worst scenes in its history is the children of the forest stuff and it's no coincidence everyone laughed at them in the show as it was such a change in tone.

Either way giving the witcher a game of thrones style feel or using it as a blueprint would be a bad idea I feel, way too dark.
I feel the Netflix anime probably did the best job with tone of all the witcher shows.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Maybe doesn't take itself too seriously is the wrong wording but isn't as dark all the time is better is a better way to put it.
Murder, torture, experiments on humans in most disgusting ways imaginable, racism everywhere, pogroms, genocide of entire people,
disgusting father-daughter incest plans to take over the world
, war in half of the continent, famine, bandits taking from people what they want, rape, slavery, monsters killing people in the most gruesome ways isn't as dark as GoT? And that's only some examples from remembering the books for 2 minutes and not listing the sad and emotional short stories like "A little sacrifice". I think Sapkowski's Witcher is as dark as a fantasy world pretty much can be. And the protagonist isn't some shining knight who saves the virgins from bandits, but simply moves on without interfering and just kills monsters for money, not for morale reasons.
Forget about the games or the abomination of a show. The books by themselves are pretty grim and some chapters are really hard to read and picture inside your head. So in my experience, I can't share your opinion Witcher books being not dark all the time, or not as dark as A Song of Ice and Fire.

Last edited:

SoCross

The inspirational speeches and quotes had me cringing. Specially Ciri’s monologue and Yen to Tissaia who promptly offed herself:houllier:

Bobski

They treated the source material with far more respect than any of the adaptations of The Witcher/Wheel of Time ect. Can't believe I am saying that now given how many complaints I made about the changes to ASOIAF, but it is what it is.

Fully Fledged

They treated the source material with far more respect than any of the adaptations of The Witcher/Wheel of Time ect. Can't believe I am saying that now given how many complaints I made about the changes to ASOIAF, but it is what it is.
The last 2 episodes of WoT threw me completely off. I'd been willing to accept the differences before then for adaptation preposes. They just completely threw the books out the window at the end.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The last 2 episodes of WoT threw me completely off. I'd been willing to accept the differences before then for adaptation preposes. They just completely threw the books out the window at the end.
I think covid messed with the last 2 episodes, also Sanderson never got the scripts like the first 6. Murdered the first series though as a viewer.
Taking tarwins gap from Rand was a huge mistake as it's the real "holy feck" moment in the book.