Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
My wife is watching s3 so I'm catching bits of it. Granted I'm not seeing the full storylines but from what I am getting it looks like one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
probably can’t hear the intricate plot over the sound of your wife thudding it to cavill.

Hamnat

I only have the final episode here left and this is just boring. Its like tv you put on while you are ironing and folding clothes. It was never amazing or anything but this is dull

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Watched episode one and I loved it. Maybe I’m just the kind of casual fan this appeals to. But then I enjoyed LOTR more than House of The Dragon too by a margin!

stoinz

Not sure what to make of it. Is it me or does the high res makes its look too low budget. Everything looks just so fake.

FattyFooty

My wife is watching s3 so I'm catching bits of it. Granted I'm not seeing the full storylines but from what I am getting it looks like one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
It is so bad its shocking. Possible the worst adaption i have seen.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's garbage isn't it? :lol:

They're clearly trying to hard to make another toss a coin, but they're missing by miles.

I wanted this to be great but it's just dogshit.

Rake

It's just bad TV. Nothing more to it. Even disregarding that they have massacred the source material, it is just terrible storytelling. If you just pause for a second and think about what they are doing it just doesn't make a tiny bit of sense.

Simbo

I just about tolerated those episodes, mostly by remembering the good parts of the book as I watch. Oh what could have been.

I did hear Bonhart’s name mentioned, so hopefully they do that character somejustice (they won’t) and a segment I expected them to skip over appears to be the S3 2nd half, so could get interesting (it won’t be).

Was is interesting is that this has an 8.1 on IMDb. Guess it’s watchable somehow for those new to this story.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Am I the only one who can barely here anyone talking? Volume up to 20 and still can't hear anything.

Hal9000

No wonder Cavill wanted out. I've had it on whilst working and never felt I missed anything

Rake

I just about tolerated those episodes, mostly by remembering the good parts of the book as I watch. Oh what could have been.

I did hear Bonhart’s name mentioned, so hopefully they do that character somejustice (they won’t) and a segment I expected them to skip over appears to be the S3 2nd half, so could get interesting (it won’t be).

Was is interesting is that this has an 8.1 on IMDb. Guess it’s watchable somehow for those new to this story.
The IMDB score was probably accumulated during season one... If you check the episodes scores, you'll see that they are lower/upper 6.

Also, they already started altering Bonhart's story
because they said that he is someone's cousin which he isn't.

Last edited:

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
The IMDB score was probably accumulated during season one... If you check the episodes scores, you'll see that they are lower/upper 6.
I've never understood the good ratings for season 1. The first episode even failed to deliver Sapkowski's shortstory message about lesser and greater evil in the right way, although it was the best episode of the whole show probably. And the episodes continued not only in piss poor writing and failing to deliver the shortstory messages, the actors and cgi looked like a fanmade production. When I saw, Foltest, the elves, the sorceresses.... They all couldn't be farther away from Sapkowski's description, in acting and/or appearance.

Adamsk7

I turned to my partner last night and said “it’d probably just me but we’re three seasons in to this and outside maybe like 5 people, I have zero clue who the rest of these are and why they’re taking up so much screen time” to which she replied “OMG I’ve not said anything for like a whole season because I didn’t want to seem stupid”

pretty much somes it up - awful writing.I’ve read the books and Witcher 3 is in my top 5 games of all time so I know the characters and even then when one comes on screenI’m like “who is that again?”

Bobski

A week after watching this part season I am drawing a blank on what actually happened, other than a dress up ball where all the budget went. Going to a place, running from place, going back to place for a party.

Superden

I loved the first 2 seasons, but just nodded off half way thru the 1st episode of the new season..

Revan

Assumptionman
Watched the first two episodes, all I can say is that it is quite boring.

Tyrion

Tbh there's a spin off called Blood Origin that's way worse. The elves constantly say cock, sh!t and fcuk and act like drunken versions of LOTR dwarves, they all have random Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents, the "villains" stop a 1,000 year war and invade another dimension with 8 guys and Lenny Henry (they're apparently looking for food but the other dimension is a desert and its never explained where their food has gone), Michelle Yeoh is in it for some reason and the whole thing is framed as a history lesson meant to inspire a song to inspire the elves even though it makes them look appalling.

Also, Dylan Moran is in it as "Uthrok One-Nut".

It's just bad TV. Nothing more to it. Even disregarding that they have massacred the source material, it is just terrible storytelling. If you just pause for a second and think about what they are doing it just doesn't make a tiny bit of sense.
Pretty much. There's 4 groups after Ciri, I only understand why 2 of them are. I don't care about half of the characters and in the first 4 episodes of this show about a monster hunter, there's been 2 monsters both killed in one scene each.

Revan

Assumptionman
Watched it, and I do not think that it was as terrible as people say. But at the same time, it was quite mediocre, a bit like Rings of Power. Which is a shame cause the first season was quite decent, and the source material improved after it, but I guess they decided to change things for the sake of changing them.

The last episode was weird. I can understand doing it from different angles, but I thought that the repetition was so stupid, to the point that I thought that somehow without knowing I had gone backward in streaming.

As others have said, Cavill leaving is going to reduce the quality of the show even further. Probably the next season will be the last.

Revan

Assumptionman
That Witcher Blood Origin tripe should have humbled them somewhat, because if they really held the original material in contempt and wanted to show they could do a better job it was a miserable failure. A lot of it comes from creators ego's, not wanting to adapt someone else's work, have to make it their own. There is a reason why stuff like The Witcher or Wheel of Time had so much success, you can critique the writers of those stories as much as you like but they are/were levels ahead of the staff writers shitting out the stuff they have.
I wouldn't put the adaptations in the same category.

In the Wheel of Time, the creator of the show actually likes the books, and tried to stay loyal to them. But at the same time, he recognises that with 14 books (and a prequel), they need to change some things, do some simplifications etc. Also, I thought they had a quite small budget for the show, which hopefully gets fixed considering that it did almost as well as Rings of Power (in minutes watched) despite having a smaller following and a way smaller budget.

In case of the Witcher, it is a bit like Star Wars episode 8. The creators seem to hate the source material and just want to tell their own, very different story. But then, why not do something different in the first place? It is kinda weird.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
In case of the Witcher, it is a bit like Star Wars episode 8. The creators seem to hate the source material and just want to tell their own, very different story. But then, why not do something different in the first place? It is kinda weird.
Because nobody would watch it. They know they have zero talent to create something popular, so they leech from successful IPs with a big fanbase and when even the fanbase stops watching, they just move on to the next one.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Been reading the books on holiday. Can see why some are annoyed at the changes from them but I really don't mind it all that much as a tv show it's fine if you don't compare.

I do have the itch to start the game again now though.

Woodzy

I’m about 20 minutes into episode 6 and it’s infinitely better than anything that came before it in season 3. Let’s hope it continues that way.

Andersons Dietician

Can’t believe we had to wait like a year for this pish. And then they split the series. It’s not even as if the acting is bad or anything, it’s just really crap writing and put together horribly. The drop off in quality from season 1 to this is insane.

It feels a bit like it was struck with the woke stick. Didn’t seem to be that much Geralt in it either and for Henry Cavill to go out on the season on that wet note just doesn’t seem right.

Simbo

I’m about 20 minutes into episode 6 and it’s infinitely better than anything that came before it in season 3. Let’s hope it continues that way.
Ya weren’t kidding, though more the last 20 minutes.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Episode 6 is great, probably the best in the entire run of the show. Pleasant surprise after the first five.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Episode 6 is great, probably the best in the entire run of the show. Pleasant surprise after the first five.
You know I feel so conflicted. I actually like this season the most and though some flaws and the usual problematic storytelling disconnects, I enjoyed the first 5 a decent amount. Heck I even finally believed the existence of a spark between Yennefer and Geralt. Which is going to make it even more jarring that now Henry is leaving the show. Curious to see the final 5 but not sure I'll continue watching with the re-cast.

But hey I thought S1 was almost unwatchable because of the silly timeline jumping, even more jarring poor acting and cheap sfx and somehow a lot of people liked that season best, so perhaps my opinion isn't worth shit.

Simbo

Yup it’s def stepped up a bit, ep8 tops 6 even.
Will be shit when Cavill leaves but Hemsworth can probably do a decent job, far more depends on how they write it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You know I feel so conflicted. I actually like this season the most and though some flaws and the usual problematic storytelling disconnects, I enjoyed the first 5 a decent amount. Heck I even finally believed the existence of a spark between Yennefer and Geralt. Which is going to make it even more jarring that now Henry is leaving the show. Curious to see the final 5 but not sure I'll continue watching with the re-cast.

But hey I thought S1 was almost unwatchable because of the silly timeline jumping, even more jarring poor acting and cheap sfx and somehow a lot of people liked that season best, so perhaps my opinion isn't worth shit.
I didn't find the first 5 terrible like many others just lacking a little energy. I did like the time jumping in S1 but likely cause I knew what was happening. Alot of folk prefer S1 on rewatch.

S3 on the whole is probably edging S1 for me

Simbo

aaand I just realised ep8 is the finale for this season. Christ, just as I thought there was hope for this show.

Bobski

Episode 6 was a reasonable action mess, the rest of this entire season was a total car crash.

Also felt incredibly small, constantly reusing the same sets, bland outdoor locations and Blood Origin level acting from the extras, girl who was doing Falka was school play level.

Last edited: