Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Fully Fledged

I think covid messed with the last 2 episodes, also Sanderson never got the scripts like the first 6. Murdered the first series though as a viewer.
Taking tarwins gap from Rand was a huge mistake as it's the real "holy feck" moment in the book.
Yeah that was massive. There was more than that though.
Rand and Perrin's fight over Egwene. The stabbing of Loial that should have been an instakill. Moiraine losing her power. Egwene resurrecting Nynaeve.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think covid messed with the last 2 episodes, also Sanderson never got the scripts like the first 6. Murdered the first series though as a viewer.
Taking tarwins gap from Rand was a huge mistake as it's the real "holy feck" moment in the book.
Also having the actor for a main character walk away mid shooting is not helpful.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah that was massive. There was more than that though.
Rand and Perrin's fight over Egwene. The stabbing of Loial that should have been an instakill. Moiraine losing her power. Egwene resurrecting Nynaeve.
They did say alot of that was last minute cause of what was happening with Barney leaving them stuck.

the resurrection scene was awful though and murders another Rand scene later. Especially given nynaeve is the gifted healer not egwene so even the near dead but not dead excuse doesn't fly.

Anyway I'm going off topic talking bout one mediocre show in the thread about another.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I was so confused by the last comments and thought it redirected me to the wrong thread :lol:

I too finished S3 of the Witcher and aside from the single last episode dragging on too long, and the amateurish way of ...annointing someone new I liked it well enough. One major problem with this show is the constant hopping around and rushing through important moments. I get that they followed the books closely this season in particular...but it should have been fleshed out a lot better.

I do have to say that Freya Allen is a much better actress than I gave her credit for. The episode almost solely focused on her was some pretty impressive acting I thought. It gives me some hope the series isn't entirely lost following Henry's departure. As someone else said...it's definitely no all star classic show material, but it's entertaining enough in an ever growing sea of mediocre shows.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know Charles Dance is hard to live up to, but the amount of gravitas Dance gave Emhyr in The Witcher 3 compared to this Jake Gyllenhaal knock off...

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
So apparently Americans are all stupid, and its their fault the show sucks.

When a series is made for a huge mass of viewers, with different experiences, from different parts of the world, and a large part of them are Americans, these simplifications not only make sense, they are necessary. It’s painful for us, and for me too, but the higher level of nuance and complexity will have a smaller range, it won’t reach people. Sometimes it may go too far, but we have to make these decisions and accept them.
executive producer Tomek Baginski there tells us all how Game of Thrones was a massive failure in America until the highly regarded final two seasons dumbed everything down for the dumb dumbs in the US. He also blames young people and their tiktoks...

Baginski: The audience changes, it’s not like… It all changes. I see the [quickening] of the processes Jacek Dukaj wrote about in his book After the Script. We resign from cause-and-effect chains, from linear narration. This book-like narration. When it comes to shows, the younger the public is, the logic of the plot is less significant.

Interviewer: What is significant, then?
Baginski: Just emotions. Just pure emotions. A bare emotional mix. Those people grew up on TikTok and YouTube, they jump from video to video.
Interviewer: You’re talking to such a person.
Baginski: Okay, so it’s time to be serious. Dear children, what you do to yourself makes you less resilient for longer content, for long and complicated chains of cause and effect.
So there you go. It's not because it's "woke", it's because they think everyone is dumb with no attention span :lol:

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

executive producer Tomek Baginski there tells us all how Game of Thrones was a massive failure in America until the highly regarded final two seasons dumbed everything down for the dumb dumbs in the US. He also blames young people and their tiktoks...

So there you go. It's because "woke", it's because they think everyone is dumb with no attention span :lol:
I don't get it. What does woke have to do with being dumb with no attention span?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I don't get it. What does woke have to do with being dumb with no attention span?
Nothing, which is the point. It was for the people saying it was shit because it's woke. And now I've just realised I missed a word in my post :houllier:. No wonder you're confused. I shall correct that now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nothing, which is the point. It was for the people saying it was shit because it's woke. And now I've just realised I missed a word in my post :houllier:. No wonder you're confused. I shall correct that now.
I did suspect you were sarcastic, makesmore sense now :lol:

Hamnat

So there you go. It's not because it's "woke", it's because they think everyone is dumb with no attention span :lol:
I just read this today and laughed. I hate when producers blame audiences for their shows sucking or not being successful. It is so condescending. We are to believe you purposely wrote terribly to appease an audience you think is too dumb and simple? That is childish.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Thse are hardly groundbreaking revelations?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I just read this today and laughed. I hate when producers blame audiences for their shows sucking or not being successful. It is so condescending. We are to believe you purposely wrote terribly to appease an audience you think is too dumb and simple? That is childish.
Amazing, isn't it? First, you buy the rights to a famous fantasy epic because you believe it's guaranteed money. Then, you send out the call to rally up the "army of nerds" whose dedication and excitement (both on and offline) can create enough traction. But deep down you don't give a rat's arse about them or the source material and you believe that you have written something so wonderful that surpasses the "silliness" of the fantasy genre and can reach out to a wider audience. In reality, you're doing nothing more than utilizing the same old tropes in story telling and character development that Hollywood has been using for the last 15 years. In the end, you've alienated the only target group who could give you numbers despite your show being poor, if only you had stayed true to the original, your main protagonist has walked off, and the mainstream audience... well, they have better shows to watch. The true story of an overlooked masterpiece.

edgecutter

Amazing, isn't it? First, you buy the rights to a famous fantasy epic because you believe it's guaranteed money. Then, you send out the call to rally up the "army of nerds" whose dedication and excitement (both on and offline) can create enough traction. But deep down you don't give a rat's arse about them or the source material and you believe that you have written something so wonderful that surpasses the "silliness" of the fantasy genre and can reach out to a wider audience. In reality, you're doing nothing more than utilizing the same old tropes in story telling and character development that Hollywood has been using for the last 15 years. In the end, you've alienated the only target group who could give you numbers despite your show being poor, if only you had stayed true to the original, your main protagonist has walked off, and the mainstream audience... well, they have better shows to watch. The true story of an overlooked masterpiece.
It's on Netflix for giving the show to people that do not really have the skills and most importantly the love for the show. I bailed out after series 2 and it looks like that was a wise choice, especially when the cracks were there for all to see.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pleased I didn’t watch the third season from the sounds of it then. Real shame it went the way it did.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's on Netflix for giving the show to people that do not really have the skills and most importantly the love for the show. I bailed out after series 2 and it looks like that was a wise choice, especially when the cracks were there for all to see.
Usually its the showrunners or creators who approach Netflix with the idea and get them to go after the IP iirc

edgecutter

Usually its the showrunners or creators who approach Netflix with the idea and get them to go after the IP iirc
And netflix should make sure their money is being used well for such a costly ip. It's madness that they allowed such poor writers continue to be allowed to torpedo a show. I suppose Netflix has history with this.

padr81

Supports
Man City
And netflix should make sure their money is being used well for such a costly ip. It's madness that they allowed such poor writers continue to be allowed to torpedo a show. I suppose Netflix has history with this.
Netflix don't give a shite, I mean they approved that Resident Evil show with Lance Riddick as Wesker. They only care about $$$,
I was reading somewhere its actually in their interests for shows to have short runs and not be successful long term unless they are like Stranger Things level successful which lets face it a high fantasy show like The Witcher never will be, GoT already got that once in a life time spark.
  1. Give some hack a high end IP.
  2. Cash in on its rabid fanbase over 1-2 seasons
  3. Watch the show fall apart and cancel before you have to bump pay cheques.
  4. Find another hack with a high end IP and big fanbase proposal.
  5. Repeat.
Its like consistently throwing budget version but highly follow shit at a wall and hoping one sticks which is crazy when HBO is so successful actually making good shows.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Netflix don't give a shite, I mean they approved that Resident Evil show with Lance Riddick as Wesker. They only care about $$$,
That's exactly the problem. As long as people still subscribe to them, no matter what kind of shows they deliver in return, they don't care about quality. It's all about quantity for them. If only we'd live in a society where people would stop consuming shit products (and that goes for everything), we could force them to make quality shows. But that will never happen of course, because most of the people either have low expecations to begin with and rather watch mediocrity and worse than go a couple months without, so Netflix's purse gets
lighter and they start to listen again.

I was reading somewhere its actually in their interests for shows to have short runs and not be successful long term unless they are like Stranger Things level successful which lets face it a high fantasy show like The Witcher never will be, GoT already got that once in a life time spark.
Witcher could have been easily as successful or even more as Stranger Things. It has everything a good fantasy needs. GoT shows that people crave for quality fantasy shows. Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies proved it many years ago. That "once in a life time spark" feeling is the result of good fantasy shows and movies being rare as feck. Not because people only want to watch a good fantasy show once in a decade.

Doracle

Episodes 5, 6 and 8 (if it wasn’t a series finale) are reasonable but still feel as though that’s despite the show-runners’ best efforts. Most of the rest is dull and/or doesn’t make much sense.

Also, is Geralt quite so weak in the books? Kind of feels like this is really a story about Yen and Ciri doing powerful stuff, whilst he follows after them and gets beaten up occasionally.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Episodes 5, 6 and 8 (if it wasn’t a series finale) are reasonable but still feel as though that’s despite the show-runners’ best efforts. Most of the rest is dull and/or doesn’t make much sense.

Also, is Geralt quite so weak in the books? Kind of feels like this is really a story about Yen and Ciri doing powerful stuff, whilst he follows after them and gets beaten up occasionally.
If you're on about the
beatdown off vilgefortz, he gets smashed worse in the books.
. I don't think it's intentional but he does seem to have some close ones compared to the other 2, likely cause he fights up melee, while the other 2 have magic. He's just a bit of a meat shield with no real plot of his own particularly in the show.

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought it was a decent season. Shame that Cavill left at the time when they actually started following the source material much more than in the second season.

Revan

Assumptionman
If you're on about the
beatdown off vilgefortz, he gets smashed worse in the books.
. I don't think it's intentional but he does seem to have some close ones compared to the other 2, likely cause he fights up melee, while the other 2 have magic. He's just a bit of a meat shield with no real plot of his own particularly in the show.
I might be wronged but I think that Vilgefortz does not use any magic when he absolutely destroys Gerard.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I might be wronged but I think that Vilgefortz does not use any magic when he absolutely destroys Gerard.
Yeah, he wanted to humiliate Geralt and just beat him with a staff.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Spot on, he just whallops him, a few people imply that he was using magic or reddit and such but I got the vibe, he kicked his ass without it, cause he can.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Finally got around to finishing the latest season, and I'm really not sure half of what is going on anymore. That final episode felt like 90% filler before Geralt is finally on the move again, and not some actual season finally. Its a real shame how it has gone, as it had great potential and some of the sword play with Geralt is still great. But the rest of it really is a mess at times. It feels like they throw a random character in all the time, then don't develop or use them for ages. Then they pop up again, and I struggle to remember who they actually are half the time.

Safe to say the buzz around the show is well and truely gone now, and I can't see it surviving the loss of Cavill

Simbo

Finally got around to finishing the latest season, and I'm really not sure half of what is going on anymore. That final episode felt like 90% filler before Geralt is finally on the move again, and not some actual season finally. Its a real shame how it has gone, as it had great potential and some of the sword play with Geralt is still great. But the rest of it really is a mess at times. It feels like they throw a random character in all the time, then don't develop or use them for ages. Then they pop up again, and I struggle to remember who they actually are half the time.

Safe to say the buzz around the show is well and truely gone now, and I can't see it surviving the loss of Cavill
Oddly, I actually felt a buzz about the show for the first time in the 2nd half of this season, at least since S01E01. Thought the last episode was great, possibly just because I have the book knowledge though so know who all the characters are and their backgrounds, and I know whats about to follow. What totally killed the buzz was that the season ended just as it was finally getting going, with a year and a half to wait? Feck that.

I'm not too bothered about Cavill going, the show will live or die on the writing, not who's playing Geralt. Sure they needed him to carry it while the writing was god awful, but fix the writing and it don't matter so much. I mean its already written ffs, just stop intentionally fecking it up.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just finished the 3rd episode and man was it shit. The final scene felt like it skipped through 2 episodes and cut to that. It made no sense. The episode itself had barely anything happen in it. Watch the last 5 minutes and you'd be as caught up as much as those who watched it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Started watching season 3...

Two episodes in and I have absolutely no clue what's going on (Apart from various different people wanting Ciri for... Reasons?)

All the small scenes in between where characters I barely remember talk about 8 other random characters and 10 different places I don't know... I could genuinely watch this show in Spanish and I'd probably get just as much out of it.

BBer13

Started watching season 3...

Two episodes in and I have absolutely no clue what's going on (Apart from various different people wanting Ciri for... Reasons?)

All the small scenes in between where characters I barely remember talk about 8 other random characters and 10 different places I don't know... I could genuinely watch this show in Spanish and I'd probably get just as much out of it.

Ciri is important to a lot of different factions due to her heritage and power she possesses. She has elder blood which is one of the reasons she is so powerful but also she is the heir to cintra which is a key place in the world of the witcher. Some want her also so there rivals can't have her, she is basically a pawn in many peoples game to rule.

I do agree though that the show is very hard to follow, i have read some of the books and played the games and even i needed to rewatch the first two seasons again to make sense of some of what was happening.

RedDevilRoshi

Just finished watching the recent 3rd season and blimey it really does fall off from the previous two seasons. It was an absolute mess.

Disappointing as had enjoyed it up till then. Personally can’t see it lasting long now especially with Cavill no longer there.

Last edited: