Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Revan

Assumptionman
Are they making Tussaint people be dark skinned? Just read that Fringilla Vigo will be played by an African American actress, which should mean that Anna Herriate should be colored too.

How would this play with the racist Nilfgaardian? They need to change the politics quite a bit.

Hammerfell

Are they making Tussaint people be dark skinned? Just read that Fringilla Vigo will be played by an African American actress, which should mean that Anna Herriate should be colored too.

How would this play with the racist Nilfgaardian? They need to change the politics quite a bit.
Not the best word to use.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not the best word to use.
Really? I didn't know. It is something that a friend of mine (Ethiopian in US) mentioned to me as what would be a non-offensive way of referring to Africans. Could it be that it is different in US, or maybe he was wrong, or I misinterpreted something?

Out of curiosity - and then not derailing the thread - what would be the best way to refer?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I didn't know this either :lol: seems every few years it changes what words people can use to describe other people.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Really? I didn't know. It is something that a friend of mine (Ethiopian in US) mentioned to me as what would be a non-offensive way of referring to Africans. Could it be that it is different in US, or maybe he was wrong, or I misinterpreted something?

Out of curiosity - and then not derailing the thread - what would be the best way to refer?
Black.

Art Vandelay

Isn't Anna Henrieta related to Emhyr too or am I imagining that?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Are they making Tussaint people be dark skinned?
Said this before and i really hope it to be the case: the easiest solution would be to make the entire setting multi-ethnic. As in, every country inhabited by multiple ethnicities. In fact, while we never meet a non-white human in the books, considering the setting this is not just the easiest solution but also the most fitting.

Revan

Assumptionman
Said this before and i really hope it to be the case: the easiest solution would be to make the entire setting multi-ethnic. As in, every country inhabited by multiple ethnicities. In fact, while we never meet a non-white human in the books, considering the setting this is not just the easiest solution but also the most fitting.
Yeah, if they want to use actors of different races instead of staying true to Slavic roots (especially in medieval), that would be the best solution. If they decide to make the entire Nilfgaardian Empire be dark-skinned, they will open all cans of worms and be crucified.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, if they want to use actors of different races instead of staying true to Slavic roots (especially in medieval), that would be the best solution. If they decide to make the entire Nilfgaardian Empire be dark-skinned, they will open all cans of worms and be crucified.
We already know that's not the case

nimic

something nice
Scout
It does actually look quite good. But it's Netflix, so we'll see. I'd weirdly be a lot more confident if Amazon was doing it (fingers crossed for Wheel of Time).

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It does actually look quite good. But it's Netflix, so we'll see. I'd weirdly be a lot more confident if Amazon was doing it (fingers crossed for Wheel of Time).
You have amazon prime? Haven't bothered with their service at all.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
With how expensive it looks and how trigger happy Netflix are in cancelling shows it will need to do serious numbers to get a second or third season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Trailer looks fantastic! So excited about this.

Never had a doubt that Cavill is gonna be great. I hope that Yennefer and Ciri are also portrayed well. The actresses are not well known so it can go either way.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cavill looks and sounds the part, to be fair. Fight scenes look good.

My only [major] reservation is the dialogue. I don’t think the tone is easy to translate into television medium - I think a lot of the novels strength is through Geralt’s internal philosophical musing; non-spoken action. From the trailer it does sound a bit cheesy.

Oh and I still think that Yennefer cast is god awful and will never get over it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Cavill looks and sounds the part, to be fair. Fight scenes look good.

My only [major] reservation is the dialogue. I don’t think the tone is easy to translate into television medium - I think a lot of the novels strength is through Geralt’s internal philosophical musing; non-spoken action. From the trailer it does sound a bit cheesy.

Oh and I still think that Yennefer cast is god awful and will never get over it.
I think ure pretty alone on the hype train re both the dialogue and Yen. Seems like both are getting a lot of early praise right now. The trailer probably highlighted some specific things to say to get those familiar with the books or games on the hype train. I would imagine though they ll treat it more like LOTR and during the show make the dialogue more TV friendly and throw out the occasional book quite.

Like many others I wasn't convinced by Yen s casting but that one little scene where she smirks after the horns comment by Gerald sold me on it. It seems to show she has what it takes to pull off the character imho.

The only thing that was jarring to me was the music but I'll assume that's just trailer music. Made it feel cheaper than it needs to be.

I'm now gonna have to binge rush the rest of the The Tudors or else Henry will still be the Duke of Suffolk for me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That looks like it’s going to be so good. I’ve not read the books yet but if they’re as good as people say they are it’s got a hell of a story to play out. The production looks better than GOT and Cavill has nailed it from the video game perspective.

evil_geko

Looks fecking brilliant, can't wait! I am warming up to Yen cast, looks good in that trailer.

And Cavill is really going for that game Geralt voice, loving it!

diarm

Does anyone know if it's going to be one episode a week or a whole season landing on December 20th? Could be a great binger over the Christmas break if it's a whole season!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Does anyone know if it's going to be one episode a week or a whole season landing on December 20th? Could be a great binger over the Christmas break if it's a whole season!
Netflix is always everything at once for their shows.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Looks amazing, can't wait.

I do still think Cavill is too pretty to be Geralt, but he does a great job from what I can see.

acnumber9

Where the hell is the scene where he stops fighting for a quick round of Gwent?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks great - between this and the Mandalorian we are going to be absolutely spoilt for awesome TV in the next year.

Ainu

I was on the fence about this but that trailer has convinced me, it's a must watch at this point. It looks the part. The sword fighting in particular is crucial, if they messed that up it would ruin the entire show but it looks like they've nailed it. The characters all look fine to me.

justboy68

Looks good. Can't see it flopping, I think a lot of people are waiting for a low fantasy show to scratch that GoT itch.