Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can’t wait to enjoy watching it and then have all the fun sucked out of it by reading this thread afterwards where people are questioning the most benign logics in a programme about magic.

Art Vandelay

Agree with this - I’m again in the minority for this thread.

Not sure about the muscles, though. Game Geralt is totally shredded. Can’t remember of the top of my head if Book Geralt was too, but he must be. He has super human strength, after all.
I agree, I still don't see anything impressive.

I think book Geralt was supposed to be tall and thin like in the game, but there's not really a lot they can do to make Cavill like that. I still think animated or CG is the best option to bring that world to life.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nah, he’s definitely Mirin of Rivia.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I agree, I still don't see anything impressive.

I think book Geralt was supposed to be tall and thin like in the game, but there's not really a lot they can do to make Cavill like that. I still think animated or CG is the best option to bring that world to life.
That or revive Bruce Lee to play the role instead.

Redplane

Looks very good. Super excited for this!

A couple of things though
  • Yen just doesn't look intimidating enough. Seems really frail.
  • And I wish they could have used the music of the game. I don't believe there's any show, film or game with a soundtrack as phenomenal as that of TW3. Using that music would have elevated everything IMO. The Velen tracks, the Skellige tracks, the battle track. Just fricking awesome. I understand the game's events occur after the books but I still feel they could have used those iconic scores.
Still, this looks really good. Hope they absolute nail it.
Even a frail angry woman is still an angry woman. That alone is scary.

Re the music: it's a teaser trailer - doesn't necessarily mean the music used will be like anything we ll hear on the show.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Re the music: it's a teaser trailer - doesn't necessarily mean the music used will be like anything we ll hear on the show.
Aye, trailer music tends to be pretty bland. Game of Thrones had incredible music and yet if you watch the official season trailers the music is bland as feck.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Looks great. Geralt’s been getting into steroids apparently, but does look great in armor. Also not completely sold on Yennefer yet. But mostly feel positive about it.

And the last shot with Geralt on a potion...:drool:

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Henry Cavill is on my fiancees list, which means if she ever meets him she gets to feck him. I personally find it quite sick but fair enough; if Henry wants to shag my missus while my cocks up his arse then go at it mate.

Andersons Dietician

If you’re swinging a sword fighting monsters all day and riding not to mention having supernatural abilities I think it’s more believable that you’d be jacked. Have you ever tried to swing a broadsword? Damn things are heavy. As a child I once got my hands on two claymores and tried to have a sword fight with my mate. Could barely lift the things.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
So are these going to be based on the video games, the books, or both? I know basically nothing about this series but I fancy getting into another fantasy show to tide me over until the Game of Thrones prequel turns up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So are these going to be based on the video games, the books, or both? I know basically nothing about this series but I fancy getting into another fantasy show to tide me over until the Game of Thrones prequel turns up.
Books. It’s based on the first few short stories in The Last Wish, iirc.

Art Vandelay

If you’re swinging a sword fighting monsters all day and riding not to mention having supernatural abilities I think it’s more believable that you’d be jacked. Have you ever tried to swing a broadsword? Damn things are heavy. As a child I once got my hands on two claymores and tried to have a sword fight with my mate. Could barely lift the things.
Swords aren't that heavy, most are around 3lbs. The supernatural abilities and riding around being unpaid and underfed would lead to being leaner in my eyes. If you're stronger than a normal human, then would you not have to lift more than a normal human to get bigger? It's why Superman having huge muscles never made much sense to me, he's so turbo charged with strength that surely he'd have to be lifting cars before he feels any burn.

It's all moot anyway, it would be asking a bit much to get Cavill to slim away down and look like a deadly hobo for the whole series.

Castia

Looks really good, I love the game series and was worried it would look shite on screen but the trailer was really impressive.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I liked the trailer quite a bit. There's tons of book stuff to see here, especially details that never made it into the games.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
What was the last Netflix produced show that was any good? I’m struggling to think of one. This will probably be like Altered Carbon. Ok but a bit “meh”.
Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency
Atypical
Sex education
Dark
Stranger Things

Not quite masterpiece level mostly, but very good entertainment.

Hoof the ball

Hope they cast the two guards from the bridge going into crows perch :-

- “....got his arse whipped like a novigrad whore”
- “You surprised? He tried to dance with a Witcher!”

Redplane

Hope they cast the two guards from the bridge going into crows perch :-

- “....got his arse whipped like a novigrad whore”
- “You surprised? He tried to dance with a Witcher!”
I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a bit of recognizable quotes in there - Henry is a massive fan clearly and they must have realized how geeked the GoT crowd got when certain things from the books were said verbatim etc. And the Witcher wouldn't be the Witcher without some very sharp and very NSFW humor. Tyrion would have felt at home.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a bit of recognizable quotes in there - Henry is a massive fan clearly and they must have realized how geeked the GoT crowd got when certain things from the books were said verbatim etc. And the Witcher wouldn't be the Witcher without some very sharp and very NSFW humor. Tyrion would have felt at home.
I very much doubt we'll see any obvious references to or quotes from the games, as Sapkowski in turns ignores them or wages war against CDPR to get more money out of them. He has said at least once that he doesn't care one bit what they have done story-wise.

Andersons Dietician

What was the last Netflix produced show that was any good? I’m struggling to think of one. This will probably be like Altered Carbon. Ok but a bit “meh”.
Guess that depends on your tastes but they’ve produced lots of good shows. They may just not be to your liking.

Revan

Assumptionman
I loved the trailer, but still don't like the Yennefer actress. She looks like a teenager, and is nowhere scary enough.

Cavill looks fantastic as Geralt IMO, don't understand the criticism.

Irwin99

In the books Yennefer is described as an almost perfect beauty but for a slightly receding chin/jawline. The actress playing her clearly does not possess this defect. I won't watch this for not being true to the books. Disappointing. Am I doing this modern criticism thing right?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looks good tbh. As someone who’s played Witcher 3 but doesn’t quite get the overall arch.. can someone summarise the main themes and plot points of the Witcher Saga?

Fully Fledged

Looks very good. Super excited for this!

A couple of things though
  • Yen just doesn't look intimidating enough. Seems really frail.
  • And I wish they could have used the music of the game. I don't believe there's any show, film or game with a soundtrack as phenomenal as that of TW3. Using that music would have elevated everything IMO. The Velen tracks, the Skellige tracks, the battle track. Just fricking awesome. I understand the game's events occur after the books but I still feel they could have used those iconic scores.
Still, this looks really good. Hope they absolute nail it.
Apparently in the books she was born deformed. She was abused by first her father and then her mother who blamed her for her father leaving.

Fully Fledged

A Claymore is a pretty big fecking sword to be fair.

Andersons Dietician

A Claymore is a pretty big fecking sword to be fair.
I think at the time it was a lot taller than I was :lol:

Still the man is fighting monsters, riding horse’s and he’s supposed to be a good hunter. It also says even before they go through the trials they are trained to near inhuman levels. He’s going to be hench.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think at the time it was a lot taller than I was :lol:

Still the man is fighting monsters, riding horse’s and he’s supposed to be a good hunter. It also says even before they go through the trials they are trained to near inhuman levels. He’s going to be hench.
They didn’t have protein shakes though. It’s an obvious historical error.

tomaldinho1

My fear is their image of him is Conan the Barbarian rather than the lean and heavily scarred Geralt I was hoping for.
My hope is that there's a decent enough budget and enough promise in the trailer to think this could be decent

would love for some 'how do you like that silver' and 'Damn, you're ugly' to creep in during combat

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
She's a 94 year old hunchback. Mages can change their appearance through magic and live for hundreds of years.
So Melisandre then?

My fear is their image of him is Conan the Barbarian rather than the lean and heavily scarred Geralt I was hoping for.
Sex appeal, it's understandable. A fecking jacked regularly topless Henry Cavill will pique the interests of plenty of demographics.

Christ I'm straight and I'll probably find myself staring at the handsome bastard.