Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

Art Vandelay

So Melisandre then?
Well, she's not mad as feck or spouting nonsensical prophecies and would smack Melisandre around the place. Even the other sorceresses(I dunno if that's the right plural for that) are afraid of her in the books. I dunno if they can recreate the sheer bitchiness, the letter she sends Geralt in Blood of Elves had me cringing a bit for the poor guy. Yennefer is one of my favourite fantasy characters, I don't even like her as a person, she's just very interesting.

hubbuh

Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency
Atypical
Sex education
Dark
Stranger Things

Not quite masterpiece level mostly, but very good entertainment.
Notably average entertainment, but extremely convenient entertainment is surely more on the nose? Netflix don't seem arsed about churning out bees knees tele, rather paradoxically it's a case of 'quantity over quality'.

Money Heist also
Not seen all this so can't fairly comment. First ep was a bit pants, fair game if it gets better though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Notably average entertainment, but extremely convenient entertainment is surely more on the nose? Netflix don't seem arsed about churning out bees knees tele, rather paradoxically it's a case of 'quantity over quality'.
Dark is (for me anyway) one of the best tv shows in the last 10 years. It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Notably average entertainment, but extremely convenient entertainment is surely more on the nose? Netflix don't seem arsed about churning out bees knees tele, rather paradoxically it's a case of 'quantity over quality’.
Throw enough money at projects and some will eventually stick: their revenue depends upon it after all. Not too dissimilar from HBO, who also had their fair share of whiffs.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Even the other sorceresses(I dunno if that's the right plural for that) are afraid of her in the books.
Uh? None of them are afraid of yennefer actually. She's not really much different from all other sorceresses we meet either. Triss is the one exception, and then it's heavily implied to be down to age(triss is young).

Art Vandelay

Uh? None of them are afraid of yennefer actually. She's not really much different from all other sorceresses we meet either. Triss is the one exception, and then it's heavily implied to be down to age(triss is young).
They won't cross her regarding Ciri until they have ganged up as The Lodge and even then there's apprehension about it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They won't cross her regarding Ciri until they have ganged up as The Lodge and even then there's apprehension about it.
Not really. To begin with, none of them were even interested in Ciri before Philippa creates the lodge and brings the other up to speed. And once they have the lodge they really don't think much of her. Even individually, none of them really fears her. They respect her power but nobody but Triss thinks herself inferior to yen, in fact quite a few think themselves her better and a couple are all but stated to be(francesca, philippa and sheala)

The one supersorceress in the story is Tissaia

Art Vandelay

Not really. To begin with, none of them were even interested in Ciri before Philippa creates the lodge and brings the other up to speed. And once they have the lodge they really don't think much of her. Even individually, none of them really fears her. They respect her power but nobody but Triss thinks herself inferior to yen, in fact quite a few think themselves her better and a couple are all but stated to be(francesca, philippa and sheala)

The one supersorceress in the story is Tissaia
I know you're right about Francesca and Philippa being more powerful, but I don't remember Sheala being described as more powerful, just older. Most of them think she's a traitor or at least don't like her, they only really have the balls to deal with her when the rest are backing them up. Except Philippa. I've not read it in a few years, but that's what I picked up from it.

I never understood Triss's power levels, I think it's because the game changed her so much that it got a bit confusing. She seems to be younger than the rest, but that's only hinted at too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I know you're right about Francesca and Philippa being more powerful, but I don't remember Sheala being described as more powerful, just older. Most of them think she's a traitor or at least don't like her, they only really have the balls to deal with her when the rest are backing them up. Except Philippa. I've not read it in a few years, but that's what I picked up from it.

I never understood Triss's power levels, I think it's because the game changed her so much that it got a bit confusing. She seems to be younger than the rest, but that's only hinted at too.
Triss is the youngest and it's implied she's thus the weakest among them. The others don't really have to "deal" with her. None of them bar triss are really afraid of taking yen on. And even triss is mostly afraid because of their relationship rather than because yen would kick her arse. Yen's powerful and respected but by no means especially so by brotherhood/lodge standards

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
lads why don't you all take your book talk off to a book thread eh? this is going to be like Game of Thrones all over again.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
lads why don't you all take your book talk off to a book thread eh? this is going to be like Game of Thrones all over again.
But there's tons of people everywhere where the trailer is being discussed going 'why is thing x like that? It was z in the games! What a shitshow!'.
Someone needs to educate those poor souls! :p

Revan

Assumptionman

Sorcerers powers scales with age (bar freaks like the main villain), and Yen is relatively young. We see what Francesca does to her, and Philippa is even more powerful, as is obviously Tissaia. Triss obviously respects Yen having had her as friend and to a degree mentor, but then Triss is on her thirties/forties, so while powerful, it is expected to not be on Yen's level.

The only reason why Yen looks so scary is cause the treatment she gives to Geralt.

Nucks

RT History Department
In the books Yennefer is described as an almost perfect beauty but for a slightly receding chin/jawline. The actress playing her clearly does not possess this defect. I won't watch this for not being true to the books. Disappointing. Am I doing this modern criticism thing right?
No, it's supposed to be "Elbows too pointy 1/10 would not bang".

Irwin99

No, it's supposed to be "Elbows too pointy 1/10 would not bang".
I have much to learn in internet criticism

I hope they make Yen as difficult and headstrong as she is in the books/game. Also hope Triss gets a decent amount of screen time.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency
Atypical
Sex education
Dark
Stranger Things

Not quite masterpiece level mostly, but very good entertainment.
I'm hearing good things about "Dark".

Time to brush up my Deutsch.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Anyone wanting Yenn to look the game's version was always going to be disappointed. It's easy to create an "almost perfect beauty" for a game.

In real life and with comparisons to the game, you're always going to get (as someone said) "elbows too pointy" criticisms.

Irwin99

Anyone wanting Yenn to look the game's version was always going to be disappointed. It's easy to create an "almost perfect beauty" for a game.

In real life and with comparisons to the game, you're always going to get (as someone said) "elbows too pointy" criticisms.
I think her beauty is described in the books as being more strange/otherworldly beautiful rather than a classic beauty but i don't think it really matters that much as long the actor/actress is good. The game designs for Geralt and Yen are great though.

Revan

Assumptionman

Oh yeah, difficult to make her as hot as in the game, but they could have done better anyway. Eva Green would have been perfect.

Actually, even in the books she is not supposed to be the most beautiful one. Margarita was mentioned to make Yen look ordinary, and Francesca is always mentioned as the most beautiful woman in the world by a large distance. In the games, you see Margarita, while Francesca is seen only from a magic mirror.

Anyway, all sorceresses are essentially supermodels.

NYAS

Oh yeah, difficult to make her as hot as in the game, but they could have done better anyway. Eva Green would have been perfect.

Actually, even in the books she is not supposed to be the most beautiful one. Margarita was mentioned to make Yen look ordinary, and Francesca is always mentioned as the most beautiful woman in the world by a large distance. In the games, you see Margarita, while Francesca is seen only from a magic mirror.

Anyway, all sorceresses are essentially supermodels.
You don’t even see Francesca from a magic mirror. That was Ida.

The only time you really see Francesca in the game is her Gwent card.

Art Vandelay

We must be looking at different Gwent cards as she looks like prime Jenifer Lopez without all the Chavy make up and big hoops.
We really must be. If we're not then there's only one way to settle this, knife fight.

I dunno how to post images it seems. A quick google of Francesca Findabair Gwent Card can sort it out though.

Andersons Dietician

@Art Vandelay i fear something’s gone horribly wrong with your post :lol: I take it you’re trying to show me a picture.

Screw a knife fight though, I’ll see if I can get my hands on those Claymores again. We’ll have a trial by combat.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Speaking of Gwent, I started playing official game. It's quite good and not frustrating with the economy like other F2P games.

Art Vandelay

@Art Vandelay i fear something’s gone horribly wrong with your post :lol: I take it you’re trying to show me a picture.

Screw a knife fight though, I’ll see if I can get my hands on those Claymores again. We’ll have a trial by combat.
:lol: Yeah, it went wrong. Very wrong.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Francesca_Findabair Gwent cards are all at the bottom. One from a distance looks ok, but the rest all look like she'd try and start you outside the chippy on a Friday night.

Claymores it is. Like gentleman.

Andersons Dietician

:lol: Yeah, it went wrong. Very wrong.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Francesca_Findabair Gwent cards are all at the bottom. One from a distance looks ok, but the rest all look like she'd try and start you outside the chippy on a Friday night.

Claymores it is. Like gentleman.
Dude she is totally hot. Imagine her without a scowl. Each man has their own tastes. Ciri is over 18 in the game right? Asking for a friend.

I’ll look out my black Kilt for the battle as in Claymore fights I’m undefeated with a record of 1-0.

@Shane88 i played that for a while but I didn’t quite get the same satisfaction as in game Gwent. Probably because I didn’t have all my monster cards.

Art Vandelay

Dude she is totally hot. Imagine her without a scowl. Each man has their own tastes. Ciri is over 18 in the game right? Asking for a friend.

@Shane88 i played that for a while but I didn’t quite get the same satisfaction as in game Gwent. Probably because I didn’t have all my monster cards.
A scowl? She's got a forehead like a sasquatch. I did see some fan made mock ups when I did the image search that were jaw dropping though. I think Ciri is at least 20, by the start of TW3. I've been believing that since the game came out, but I honestly do not remember where I got the maths from.

I'll have my man servant ready my combat mankini and see you on the battlefield for the honour of an imaginary elf woman/ASBO queen.

That reminds me actually, I have Gwent Thronebreaker on my Xbox and I keep forgetting to try it.

evil_geko

I love the actress portraying Yennefer, don't know why are people so salty about her choice.

And yes, I read all the books several times and gone through the games several times too.

What I don't like is the actress playing Triss, but oh well.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love the actress portraying Yennefer, don't know why are people so salty about her choice.

And yes, I read all the books several times and gone through the games several times too.

What I don't like is the actress playing Triss, but oh well.
I think it's because many people expected her to look like somebody from the game, or atleast more mature looking in her 30's.

the acress they've chosen does look very young.

I think somebody like her below would be closer to what I expected.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

I didn't think the one in the game looked right either, earlier concepts looked closer to the way she was described in the books, but I suppose it's open to interpretation. Triss looked so different in the games that it may as well have been a different character, especially by the third game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It doesn't really matter anyway. Everyone said Peter Dinklage was too good looking to play Tyrion in GoT and he nailed it. It's all about the actor themselves really.