The worst United Eleven post Ferguson - signed players or any players used.

Thom Merrilin

How many games did he play? 2? Did he make any glaring errors?
If you start going down the route of including academy players who played two games and are now in league one becomes a bit silly.
That's the idea of this thread isn't it? It's in the title "signed players or any players used"

To answer your question he played one game for us. My point is that if he was any good, he'd have played more and would be at a higher level than League One.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

You could put together 3 or 4 different worst elevens from the staggering amount of dross we've fielded in recent years, and it'd be debatable which is the worst
Yeah. Under van Gaal that eleven that lost 4-nil to MK Dons could make a case for themselves on their own. Vermijl, Reece James, Saidy Janko, James Wilson etc.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Glad to see Felliani didn’t make anyone’s line ups, his passion for the team was fantastic. Not his fault he wasn’t the player we needed but always provided us with something as an outlet at least.
Worst signings for me are Sancho, Depay, Wout, Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Pogba and DVB

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Valdes

Darmian
Bailly
Rojo
Telles

Schweintsteiger
Schneiderlin
Van De Beek

James
Memphis
Wout

No one apart from Memphis and maybe Darmian have done well since leaving

CM

GK
Darmian Bailly Rojo Telles
Schneiderlin
Sancho van de Beek Sanchez
Weghorst Falcao​

It's difficult to select a goalkeeper. De Gea is probably simultaneously our best and worst for the early and latter parts of the last decade.

Most of the others were fairly nothing players for us. Bailly had a reasonable first season but everything that came after was pretty awful. Sancho shouldn't be in this team on talent but his application has been terrible and looks like he's played his last game for the club.

theatreofdreams777

No way the likes of Bailly or Rojo should be there as we had a pretty good defence under both LvG & Mourinho. We never got humiliated in defence in that period between 2014-2018. That started with Ole and his favourites in Maguire & Lindelöf. So that combo should be the first names in the worst XI discussion.

The worst Bailly/Rojo has ever produced was still better than Maguire/Lindelöf.

garelo

:lol: at people picking James over Di Maria :lol: We made profit for a player who was never bought to be starter in the first place.

I know Weghorst was only on loan but feck me it was brutal watching him in our shirt, worst Man Utd striker i've ever seen since supporting this club in 2001.

No way the likes of Bailly or Rojo should be there as we had a pretty good defence under both LvG & Mourinho. We never got humiliated in defence in that period between 2014-2018. That started with Ole and his favourites in Maguire & Lindelöf. So that combo should be the first names in the worst XI discussion.

The worst Bailly/Rojo has ever produced was still better than Maguire/Lindelöf.
Now this is what we called as "The Lucas Leiva's Syndrome" the fewer you play the better you look in the mind of supporters.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Henderson

Darmian
Mcnair
Maguire
Rojo

Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger

Sancho
VDB
Sanchez

Depay

Last edited:

Longlivekeano

SAF worst XI
- taibi
-
- prunier
- buttner
-Liam miller
- djemba djemba
- bebe
- Bohan djordic
- dong fazhou
-

Dannn411

Too many players, too few spots so i'll do first team and subs. I will also exclude academy youngsters because they have the excuse of inexperience.

De Gea
Darmian, Rojo, Maguire, Telles
Schweinsteiger, Van De Beek, Schneiderlin
Sanchez, Weghorst, Depay

Subs:
Dan James, Bailly, Di Maria, Falcao, Fellaini, Antony, Sancho

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Interesting thread.
Just for clarification. Are you talking about the worst players or the worst performing players.
For example. Sancho would not be classed as the worst player but in my opinion definitely would be classed as a worst performing player.
And I might say the same for Martial.
However you want it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How can anyone not put Sancho in there? We paid a fortune, his wages are huge, he’s never delivered in any meaningful way, and he just fell out with the manager and exiled himself from the team. He might go down as one of the worst ever Pl signings.

Siorac

Glad to see Felliani didn’t make anyone’s line ups, his passion for the team was fantastic. Not his fault he wasn’t the player we needed but always provided us with something as an outlet at least.
Worst signings for me are Sancho, Depay, Wout, Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Pogba and DVB
I never understood this passion thing. And particularly how the fanbase decided that Fellaini had it.

It always seems to me like limited players are immune to accusations of laziness.

Hughes35

Look at this word whatever the opposite of world class it.

------------------------------Onana----------------
Mcnair----------Lindelof----Blackett-----Amrabat
-------------------Sceinderlin----VDB-----------------
Schweinsteiger----Weghorst----------Sanchez
-----------------------------Falcao------------

Honestly, look at the state of that team..not even unrealistic. All players that had runs in the first 11 and/or were signed for decent money. Relegation fodder that team.

And that's without the talented or expensive players that flopped like Sancho, Pogba, Martial, Maguire, Rojo, Bailly, Fred, AWB, Darmian etc and other dross like Dan James, Ighalo, Valdes etc..... quite some list of shit in 10 years.

evil_geko

People including Onana after such a short amount of games, this fecking forum. :houllier: Let's go full clown fiesta and include Mount too while we are at it.

Ibrahimorich

People doing Falcao dirty in this thread. He was decent until he got injured. Anyone not putting Sanchez in this team is mental.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
People including Onana after such a short amount of games, this fecking forum. :houllier: Let's go full clown fiesta and include Mount too while we are at it.
onana has been spectacularly bad though. He is the worst goalkeeper Ive seen for Utd over a 10 game period and I’ve supported the side since the 80’s

he absolutely deserves to be there at this moment.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's the only guy to put in. There's no expectation on backup keepers like Heaton, Romero, Valdes. Onana was signed for big money and has had a horrendous time so far.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Valdes
Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Telles
Schneiderlin, Fellaini
Sanchez, Van De Beek, Depay
Weghorst

Honourable mentions to Di Maria and Sancho. I wanted to squeeze them in but they had a couple of decent moments, unlike Sanchez and Depay.

Also was tempted to put Andreas Pereria in because of those first few months of the 19/20 season where Ole kept starting him despite him offering nothing, but Van De Beek edges him because of expectations/transfer fee.

Marcelinho87

Onana after a few games is ludicrous, the ABU brigade has you all hook, link and sinker.

Dubravka and Valdes were both far worse goalkeepers despite relatively few appearance.

James is a strange inclusion too. Di Maria and Sanchez were worse than him.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
No way HM would be here. He had 2 very good seasons.

Valdes/Onana
Darmian Bailly Rojo Buttner
Schneiderlin Schweisteiger
Sanchez VDB Depay
Falcao

I'm not going to put in the youth players, but I could have easily put in Blackett, Powell, TFM, Wilson. I also realize I'm being a bit lenient to Antony.

Falcao doesnt have place in this team.

he would be injured

Telsim

He has more games than the likes of Valdes, Romero, and Joel Pereira, I'm pretty sure. But unlike them, he was brought in for big money to be the new starting goalkeeper. And he has been brutal. His spot on this list is well-deserved.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Pereira
Varela Blackett Rojo McNair Jackson
Schweinsteiger Thorpe Janko
Keane Falcao
Yes, these guys all played for the first team.
Valdes

Love
McNair
Blackett
Reece James (not that one)

Schneiderlin
Van Der Beek
James Weir

Dan James
Weghorst
Elanga
If we're just talking about the absolute worst players for us, agnostic of transfer fees or potential, these are probably the best answers so far.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Valdes

Love
McNair
Blackett
Reece James (not that one)

Schneiderlin
Van Der Beek
James Weir

Dan James
Weghorst
Elanga
If we're just talking about the absolute worst players for us, agnostic of transfer fees or potential, these are probably the best answers so far.
Oh come on :lol: Weir's only first team appearance in a United shirt was when he came off the bench in the 90th minute vs Arsenal. Don't think he even touched the ball. May as well put 'that lad who had a trial in the reserves' whilst we're at it.

Nep77

Valdes

Darmian
Bailly
Rojo
Telles

Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger
Van De Beek

Depay
Alexis Sanchez
Sancho

Didn’t put falcao in as he was on loan, and although Di Maria was poor we did recoup most of the fee. Sancho cost 73m, and we’d do well to get 20 for him when he goes. What a bunch of frauds.
Didn't Dimaria also had 14 assist that season despite having one foot out of Manchester after January?

Revaulx

It could be recency bias but yeah I'd take Telles over him.

Also, Rojo was a walking red card at center back and was only usable at fullback, that's where he played for Argentina as well.
I don’t remember Rojo ever getting sent off?

He was awful at left back after Shaw broke his leg and Blind had transferred to centre back. One of the decent things Jose did was stop using him there and he had a good run at centre at centre back alongside Jones, of all people.

slored1

Dubravka
B. Williams - McNair - Tuanzebe - Blackett - Telles
Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger - Van de Beek
Sanchez - Weghorst

Oscar Bonavena

I don't have enough time to go into a full XI but Sanchez has to be on that team. He was utter dogshit for United from his very first game.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Anyone not putting Maguire in needs to give their head a wobble. Not sure I've ever seen a defender make have the gaffes this lad has

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hard to see how you put James here ahead of Sancho.
It's easy really. I think Sancho is a good player, he's just got a horrific mentality for a professional athlete. If we're playing non-underdog football Sancho is quite easily the better player, baggage included. James was pretty atrocious when we played against teams that sat back, and I'm one of the few on here who defended him a lot and made the point that he had absolutely been targeted by refs for going down when in reality he was fouled constantly and he even suffered yellow cards for being fouled. However, when he can't exploit his speed he offers nothing in possession.

Thom Merrilin

I don’t remember Rojo ever getting sent off?

He was awful at left back after Shaw broke his leg and Blind had transferred to centre back. One of the decent things Jose did was stop using him there and he had a good run at centre at centre back alongside Jones, of all people.
Fair enough, had to look it up and he somehow didn't get a single red card for us. I do remember three times that he leapt into a two footed tackle and should have been sent off.

I guess I just don't rate Rojo as a CB. I'd have to go back and watch some games to refresh my memory completely.

Thom Merrilin

Anyone not putting Maguire in needs to give their head a wobble. Not sure I've ever seen a defender make have the gaffes this lad has
Nah, he's not the best but he's nowhere near as poor as Blackett and McNair. They both currently play in the Championship, do you really think that's Maguires level?

Thom Merrilin

I don't get including Di Maria. Sure his time didn't end well and it was clear he didn't really want to be here, he still scored 4 and assisted 14 from 32 appearances.

Compared to James who had all the drive and work ethic in the world, he scored 9 and assisted 9 from 74 appearances.

I'd suggest Di Maria was one of our best wingers signed since SAF, maybe even the best.