The worst United Eleven post Ferguson - signed players or any players used.

Jerom

I thought I would see the name of Phil Jones more often.

The big talent, new Jaap Stam. But never the solid rock, obviously because of all the injuries.

Amir

Maguire has been a terrible signing when you look at how much he cost.

But was he one of the worst two CB's we've signed in the last ten years? Not really.

OrcaFat

Onana
WBS/Darmian
Maquire
Baily
Telles
Antony
Bastian
Morgan
Sancho
Ighalo
Wout

They would get relegated.
I doubt they would, assuming no injuries. With a run in the side, most of those players would do fine.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn't Dimaria also had 14 assist that season despite having one foot out of Manchester after January?
Yeah possibly, tbh all I remember is him starting brightly but ultimately getting benched by Ashley young

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
I doubt they would, assuming no injuries. With a run in the side, most of those players would do fine.
Midifield would let them down. Bastian was on his last legs, Morgan was just bad player .Sancho is Sancho.

OrcaFat

Midifield would let them down. Bastian was on his last legs, Morgan was just bad player .Sancho is Sancho.
They are some of the worst players we had but I think they could stay up.

OrcaFat

This is an awfully shite thread that offers nothing but a chance to spew more bile.

Some bollox.
True. Why not create a thread “how shit are United and why is it so easy to hate everyone connected with this club?”, - somebody probably has.

el3mel

Onana
Darmian - Rojo - Bailly - Malacia
Schneiderlin - Bastian
Pogba
Antony - Sancho
Falcao

el3mel

Can see a lot of people putting Onana in already after not even halve a season with us :lol: How did DDG start off when he joined us? And how did he end before he left us?
The only main keepers we played in the post Ferguson era were De Gea, Romero and Onana. Easy choice.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If it's the "players used" element, obviously you fill your boots with the youngsters Van Gaal foolishly used as if to prove he was a "youth guy".

Borthwick Jackson, McNair, Blackett, Donald Love.

To put any of the multimillion signings above this lot is a bit silly.

Trequarista10

Valdes
Darmian - Lindelof - Rojo - Telles
Bastian - Morgan
Di Maria - Donny - Sanchez
Falcao

Going for expectations/price vs what they delivered. So there's a few in this team who were evidently better players than some cheap punts or academy players who got a few games. Honourable mentions:

Lingard - Made his debut post SAF I believe. Had far too many appearances for the club given his lack of ability.
McTominay - as above
Pereira - always liked him and thought there was a player in there somewhere, but never showed it despite a fair amount of games under Ole
Fellaini - had some good moments and was a half decent when used in a certain way, but his lack of ability on the ball was a symbol of our decline. For similiar reasons, Fred gets a mention.
Rooney - was pretty awful under LVG and Jose. A shadow of his former self. LVG never dropped him despite it being clear he was done.
McNair and Blackett - harsh maybe but their selection for the first team was baffling. They weren't even particularly well regarded in the youth system and were way off the required level.
James, Williams and Elanga - slightly better than the previous two but also given far more prominent roles (briefly) than they merited.
Maguire - arguably a good CB on his day but had so many calamitous moments. Deserves a mention for £80m, captain.
Depay - a cut inside and shoot merchant not worthy of the star status he was given on arrival. Showed more to his game since leaving and was young so doesn't make the starting XI over Sanchez.
Lukaku - Not as bad as others but given he was an expensive, PL proven starting striker he was disappointing. Looked overweight.
Weghorst- Loveable attitude, cheap emergency loan. Rubbish.
Onana - early days but he's had a fairly laughable start so far.
Edit: Forgot Mkhi, Sancho and Bailly. Probably because their contributions were easily forgettable.
Edit2: AWB and Antony could probably stake a claim to be in both the best and worst post SAF XI. Which says a lot about the quality of RBs and RWs in the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Think it's a bit harsh to include van Gaal's baby full-backs and some of the other youth players that have been mentioned.

GK - Valdes - pointless signing and his level was clear when he left. Onana pushing hard to take this spot but giving him some slack as a new signing.

DR - Darmian - thought he'd be good. Can barely remember him even being okay.

DC - Bailly & Rojo - both disasters waiting to happen every time they played. Both far shitter than players that pretty much left us to facilitate their inclusion (Evans & Smalling).

DL - Telles - see Darmian.

CM - Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and van de Beek - all of them awful and pointless.

AMR - Sancho - can't think of a single good thing he's done. Now having a tantrum because the manager said other players trained better than him. Cost a fecking bomb.

AML - Sanchez - expensive and shite.

ST - Weghorst - hopelessly out of his depth.

Strong arguments for Falcao up top (who looked like an impersonator rather than the real deal), James (scored a couple early on then very quickly looked like a Championship player) or Antony (works hard, apparently) on the wing, and Malacia at left back (looks very error prone whenever he plays).

Andersonson

Onana
Darmian Bailly Rojo Telles
Beek Pogba Di Maria
Sancho Sanchez Depay

Fees and wages are my head into this

Longlivekeano

Our scouts and sporting director have done a terrible job. we should be hiring Brighton, Leicester’s scout networks.

cyril C

Daley Blind should be nowhere near the list of poor signings. He was a decent cheap signing for a number of years and we also broke even when we sold him back to Ajax.
Concur on Blind. Blind is a quality defender, just not tall enough for EPL as CB, but was OK as LB. Blame should be on the manager who never thought about aerial ability, never forgive him for the loss against Westham that cost us the 4th.

Thom Merrilin

Concur on Blind. Blind is a quality defender, just not tall enough for EPL as CB, but was OK as LB. Blame should be on the manager who never thought about aerial ability, never forgive him for the loss against Westham that cost us the 4th.
Blind is two inches taller than Martinez, do you think Martinez is also too short for the EPL?

Edit: Both Blind and Martinez are fantastic footballers, I wish Blind was never sold.

ElCholo

Supports
Boca
They are some of the worst players we had but I think they could stay up.
I am probably exaggereting in last post, but I still think that it would be hard fight for them to stay up.

lex talionis

Pretty harsh on Valdes to put him ahead of Onana. Valdes played for us once or twice and was always a backup keeper, well past his prime. Onana was brought in, at his prime, at great expense as a starting keeper who would “transform” our play. It’s pretty to safe say now that the decision to bring in Onana, at great expense, was colossally daft.

NICanRed

Valdes
Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Telles
Schneiderlin, Fellaini
Sanchez, Van De Beek, Depay
Weghorst

Honourable mentions to Di Maria and Sancho. I wanted to squeeze them in but they had a couple of decent moments, unlike Sanchez and Depay.

Also was tempted to put Andreas Pereria in because of those first few months of the 19/20 season where Ole kept starting him despite him offering nothing, but Van De Beek edges him because of expectations/transfer fee.
I think that Pereira suffered in being paired over and over with JLingz. Individually they each had their moments but together they provided nothing and Pereira has gone on to be a moderately successful lower level EPL player.

Dwight Corke

__________Weghorst
______Depay________Di Maria

______vd Beek_______Schweini
___________Schneiderlin

Telles____Maguire___Bailly__Darmian
______________Onana

Last edited:

jem

One thing I'm taking from these lists is that we haven't done very well with our Dutch signings post-Fergie: Weghorst, Depay, VDB, Malacia, Blind (although I think Malacia needs more time and I quite liked Blind.) Given our rich history of Dutch players, it's a bit depressing to read. You could even include Chong and Fosu-Mensah in that list, although it feels a bit harsh.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
__________Weghorst
______Depay________Di Maria

______vd Beek_______Schweini
___________Schneiderlin

Telles____Maguire___Bailly__Darmian
______________Onana
Maguire ahead of a Rojo? (Though like Bailly I loved the mad lad energy he had for a while). Only big argument "in favor" of Maguire is the transfer fee.

GL21

Does fred have one of them men in black memory erasers?? for the majority of time on the pitch he was a disgracefully low level of quality. Effort yea bla bla but he was a catastrophically poor regular

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maguire has been a terrible signing when you look at how much he cost.

But was he one of the worst two CB's we've signed in the last ten years? Not really.
He was honestly pretty good for 2 years, after that he fell off a cliff.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He was honestly pretty good for 2 years, after that he fell off a cliff.
Yeah it really depends on how you want to approach it. Is it overall play or play within a period of time? Because the Maguire of Ole's final season/Ragnick was all time bad while the one that we got when we first signed him was pretty good.

I'll go:

Onana (still time though)

Darmian McNair Rojo Telles

Fellaini Schneiderlin Schwein

Sanchez Weghorst James

Christ that's a terrible XI (although Darmian nowdays is a completely different player as a wide CB)

Shark

@NotShark
Surprised to see Lindelof show up so much. Genuinely think he's been a very reliable squad player.

norm87cro

Pogba: a useless, lazy primadonna with glimpses of class and except the City game I havent really seen anything to varant his price/hype/fanboys
Lindelof: a 35 mil signing for a CB with no qualities ( no strenght, no speed and average technique) who was very lucky that Harry Maguire (who at least wins areal duels) was his partner and every single fan was blind to how much of a fraud he is. People still are.
Valdes: I honestly dont know what that was all about. With DDG we could have just bought a cheap GK not an overrated GK who is looking for a last paycheck and the only thing going for him was happening to be Catalan and thats why he played for Barca.
Weghorst: 0 goals in the PL but he is ETHs boy so I guess its cool
Bailly, Maguire, Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Sanchez and a few more I guess.

Dorris

Incredible how many people have already written off Onana.

Rista

Incredible how many people have already written off Onana.
It's not about writing him of. We had De Gea for a decade in goal. Onana was brought in for big money and is basically the only choice here.