There is absolutely no justification in calling for Mourinho's head

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmondisback

He should get at least three years. The man is a class act, as his record shows, and we need to calm the feck down.
I'd hate to be a manager when theres fans like you.. In todays market you will not get anyone better than Mourinho, plain and simple. Give the guy a few seasons to get the right players, and we will be back on top. The melt down some of you have after losing a game is astonishing. The solution you all want is to employ another manager that will undoubtedly create more chaos and confusion of a system that's already being worked on.
But here's the big problem....this guy just has ants in his pants. Look at his record below. He doesn't stay around very long and by the record below he's on course to be on his way by the end of next season (PSG?). Mind you , he only tends to leave after he wins something but he's looking a long way off a big major trophy right now.

The record below suggests that it won't be very long before United have to have a re-think anyway and we will probably end up having a more attacking manager and have to re-learn how to play good football all over again. It's going to be confusing anyway and by the time he leaves we could have a squad who have forgotten what it is to actually play decent football.

Here's what would sell me on Jose. If he publicly committed to the next 5-7 years and then admitted that his current team is too restricted and defensive and he was at least going to address that and be a bit braver. Then , and only then, I would feel some enthusiasm about the whole Jose project. Until then I feel that every United fan is justified in feeling very ambivalent about getting behind a man who probably ain't going to be with us that long , at which point we will be left with the same problem we have now. Namely that many top teams around us (including Europe) can play some damn fine football at times and turn it on in big games and we can't do much else in big games other than park the bus or hoof the ball to Fellaini in desperation.

The board should ask him to commit long term to a dynasty or just feck off and stop ruining our clubs reputation and history for playing progressive football. We had 20 years of glory playing in a very different way that Jose is cultivating , why should one man (who won't be with us long) impose his philosophy on our club?

1994–1996
Porto (assistant)
1996–2000 Barcelona (assistant)
2000 Benfica (assistant)
2000 Benfica
2001–2002 União de Leiria
2002–2004 Porto
2004–2007 Chelsea
2008–2010 Internazionale
2010–2013 Real Madrid
2013–2015 Chelsea
2016–(2018/19?) Manchester United

Reactions: Penna

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
But here's the big problem....this guy just has ants in his pants. Look at his record below. He doesn't stay around very long and by the record below he's on course to be on his way by the end of next season (PSG?). Mind you , he only tends to leave after he wins something but he's looking a long way off a big major trophy right now.

The record below suggests that it won't be very long before United have to have a re-think anyway and we will probably end up having a more attacking manager and have to re-learn how to play good football all over again. It's going to be confusing anyway and by the time he leaves we could have a squad who have forgotten what it is to actually play decent football.

Here's what would sell me on Jose. If he publicly committed to the next 5-7 years and then admitted that his current team is too restricted and defensive and he was at least going to address that and be a bit braver. Then , and only then, I would feel some enthusiasm about the whole Jose project. Until then I feel that every United fan is justified in feeling very ambivalent about getting behind a man who probably ain't going to be with us that long , at which point we will be left with the same problem we have now. Namely that many top teams around us (including Europe) can play some damn fine football at times and turn it on in big games and we can't do much else in big games other than park the bus or hoof the ball to Fellaini in desperation.

The board should ask him to commit long term to a dynasty or just feck off and stop ruining our clubs reputation and history for playing progressive football. We had 20 years of glory playing in a very different way that Jose is cultivating , why should one man (who won't be with us long) impose his philosophy on our club?

1994–1996
Porto (assistant)
1996–2000 Barcelona (assistant)
2000 Benfica (assistant)
2000 Benfica
2001–2002 União de Leiria
2002–2004 Porto
2004–2007 Chelsea
2008–2010 Internazionale
2010–2013 Real Madrid
2013–2015 Chelsea
2016–(2018/19?) Manchester United
This tedious argument again... :rolleyes:

iamherenow

most of you guys are too whiny,this is a club that has finished in the top 4 once in the past five seasons..we are progressing nicely from the low depths we have come from,he has bought some good players but there is still a lot of dross in the team..
give him time and let him do his job,all this whining is getting unbearing

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
It’s not an argument as much of a statement of facts.

I remember when people were claiming Mourinho’s Chelsea would be unstoppable. Only a few people saw his third year meltdown coming.
It's a statement of fact that, yes, he has had a limited shelf time on every single one of his appointments. In making that statement, you must also be aware of the surrounding circumstances of his exits for every single one of those departures. The only exception being RM, although a case can be made even for that, and definitely the second Chelsea stint.

You can't bring up the facts without discussing the context, otherwise it's a hollow argument.

Lentwood

Whether Jose is the right fit for us long-term is by the by. If I had to choose any manager in world football to build a side to challenge for titles as quickly as possible it would be Jose.

If Jose does 3/4/5 years, wins a title or two and sets us up for someone like Poch to come in then I would be over the moon with that

minoo-utd

Whether Jose is the right fit for us long-term is by the by. If I had to choose any manager in world football to build a side to challenge for titles as quickly as possible it would be Jose.

If Jose does 3/4/5 years, wins a title or two and sets us up for someone like Poch to come in then I would be over the moon with that
Think he is not staying beyond his current contract so it makes it one more year add to this current season which i can't see him win the p.l.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
fecking hell, the Twigginator truly has become the Wumminator. Vehemently backing the boss mere days after writing a war and peace post on his disdain for him :lol: love it.

Marcky411

It’s not an argument as much of a statement of facts.

I remember when people were claiming Mourinho’s Chelsea would be unstoppable. Only a few people saw his third year meltdown coming.
I can see it happening here, as the pressure is starting to build. He has questioned the fans support and when asked to meet refuses. He has questioned the activity in the transfer market, flirted with PSG and is known to publicly throw players under the bus when things aren't going his way. He is now having his style and tactics questioned weekly in the press and by fans on multi media, normally he can laugh it off when winning but now that that isn't happening and the team is struggling the pressure will keep building.
We all know Mourinho hates to be questioned, his ego doesn't allow that. When pushed for a response he often points to his trophy cabinet.
That is why is doesn't matter what happens he will never take responsibility for what happens on the pitch. When things start to go a bit down hill we know the press are like sharks that smell blood, ruthless.
Unless he can turn things around, preferably today instead of tomorrow the atmosphere could change very quickly and once the lashing out at everyone starts, that is normally the point of no return for him. That is why I really hope the coming back of Pogba and eventually Zlatan can make all the difference.

Treble

It's stupid to even entertain the idea of sacking Jose before the end of the season unless he has a catastrophic fall-out with the players. As long United are still in the CL, he should have the support. Wonders happen and he could win the CL if he fails in the EPL.

DRM

I have a feeling he will walk at the end of the season. Citys dominance and his failure to outwit Guardiola will have a massive effect on him.

There's already noise about PSG. He will end up there I reckon.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have a feeling he will walk at the end of the season. Citys dominance and his failure to outwit Guardiola will have a massive effect on him.

There's already noise about PSG. He will end up there I reckon.
Couple of journalists on Twitter already saying today that he has problems with the management and won't be surprised to see him leave and take the PSG job.

I mean if he can have problems with Woody of all people it won't get any better at PSG either after the honeymoon period.

He can stoke his ego a little by beating the camp fodder that is PSGs competition in France and may be nick a championship league by roughousing it through the knockout fixtures.

GM K

Stop it. You're making us look bad.

The last month has been poor for us. That's fair enough to think and reflect on. But the amount of posts that are calling for his head or saying Mourinho is a "dinosaur" is ridiculous.

We are still second in the league. We've qualified a tricky CL group.

We don't get anywhere by sacking a manager at this point, we don't get anywhere by starting all over again.

Think of where we have been over the last few years. Think of some of the lows you've had as United fans. A 1-0 loss at Stamford Bridge isn't that bad in reflection. We want to be better, but we're not a million miles away.

I absolutely agree with this.

Like any gaffer, Jose should get his sticks when we are not playing well or when he gets his tactics wrong. No problem with that at all. But to call for his head right now???? That is absolutely ridiculous. City is having an exceptional season and that seems to be clouding our judgement.

Klopp, Conte, Wenger and Pochettino have all had their rough times this season and so have we. How many fans are calling for their heads? And how many of them have suffered key injuries like we have? Maybe one or two.

We have scored a lot of goals this season, we have played good football this season and we are second on the table. I will not allow one bad month to make me turn against the manager or the team.

We have improved since last season. Let's see how this season is by January. Then we can talk.

GM K

Jose deserves praise for what he has done at United so far, not calls for his head.

Has he been perfect? No. Does he deserve sticks at times? Yes.

But a dispassionate look at his tenure shows he has done well.

Let's give him time and support. Let the ball be in his court. Let's see how he plays.

This is Manchester United not Chelsea for goodness sake. We shouldn't start firing managers every other season.

GM K

crazy to talk about sacking him but he really needs to make better choices in the transfer market: why did we chase Morata for so long and then opt for a less-proven Lukaku? what did he see in Miki that we don't? some of us here have been saying for ages that we need a pretty good clear out as well as buying top top quality

Less proven Lukaku?

Only Aguero and maybe Kane, have been better than Lukaku in the PL in the last 5 seasons. The guy has been a beast.

And Miki? How many people ever thought he would play the way he has been? We are talking about the Bundesliga's stand out player two seasons ago. No one saw his loss of form coming. Not sure we can fault Jose for those signings.

What I will fault him for is a failure to sign attacking full backs and one more creative player in the middle. But who knows the constraints he had?

GM K

Yes by far better. Under LVG was the only time I felt like not watching us play (I never stopped watching). I have actually enjoyed nearly all of the games this season.
Even the Chelsea game was enjoyable for me minus the painful loss. It was end to end stuff. We just seemed to lack ability on the ball.

saik

I actually thought we would improve when we hired him which we did to some extent but watching the past few matches I'm not so sure anymore. Absolutely no cohesion in our team or any gameplan when we attack. Like wtf we can't even string together 3 passes before we hoof it up or lose the ball. It's like watching some relegation zone team trying to attack. Even they do a better job attacking that we did in the last month. Losing a couple of players to injuries shouldn't mean whole team goes to shit and play like part-time footballers. He needs to sort it out quick or else we will drop out of top 4 soon and the pressure will be even more on him then.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
I don't think anyone is seriously calling for his head, but there are obvious concerns.

He's banked on Pogba never being injured and that was reckless and stupid. He's the heart of the team and we have no replacement whatsoever.

We really lack good creative players, Martial/Rashford/etc are not true creative players, Rashford ends up as some sort of striker-come-playmaker which shows what a bad job the midfield are doing.

desmondisback

This tedious argument again... :rolleyes:
Not as tedious as watching his shite (and now ineffective) football.

Never mind , he'll be off soon enough and he can go on holiday with his bruised ego before re-grouping for PSG. Meanwhile , back in Manchester , we'll be picking up the pieces with a new manager trying to get the players to remember what it's actually like to play good fluid football.

(btw - how long do you think he will hang around? And are you able to counter any of my arguments or facts with any of your own? Or are you just shooting desperate one liners from the hip?)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Morata was adequate at best at Juve. He was a bench warmer at Madrid. Yes, he had class and potential but he'd never played in the PL nor had he ever been a week-in week-out player anywhere.

Lukaku had scored 20+ goals, 3 years in a row, playing 40 games a season. If that doesn't define a proven goalscorer for you...

Morata looks like he's fulfilling his potential but it wasn't a guaranteed thing like Rom was.
if rooney played the way lukaku has in the past four games, this forum would have exploded

red_devil83

if rooney played the way lukaku has in the past four games, this forum would have exploded
Strawman. Nobody mentioned Rooney. Besides, if you look in the Lukaku thread, plenty of people are criticising him.

You said Lukaku was unproven. You were wrong.

andycolegangstainnit

You only change the manager if there is someone available to come in and do a better job. There isn't. The only established manager on a par with Jose is Pep. All the others would be risk - especially Pochettino who hasn't won anything. I would hold fire until towards the end of the season regarding renewing his contract but I still expect us to have a good season, QF at least in UCL (depending on draw) and top 3

Abhinav

Last couple of weeks have been tough, but some perspective needs to be maintained. Away matches to top 6 opposition are difficult to win: case in point, Chelsea's 2-0 defeat at OT last season, where we not only created a host of quality chances but also didn't give Chelsea a sniff at our goal.

Saying that, this team is still a work in progress and is lacking a world class winger, a creative playmaker that links our midfield to our attack and at least one upgrade in the full back position. It only takes a couple of marquee players in the right areas of the field to get the whole team linking and playing well. If you look at 2006-09 team, we had 2 world class attackers in Ronnie and Rooney, a playmaker par supreme in Scholes, one world class attacking full back in Evra, and a brilliant defence. This team was supported by good/great players in other positions such as Saha, Tevez, Giggsy, Ji, Nani etc.

Clearly, the current squad pales in comparison and needs to be built over the next couple of windows to reach a level where we can challenge consistently in the league and CL. Mourinho needs to be given time and support to complete his vision for the team, otherwise, we risk starting all over again. A realistic target for us for this season is a Top 3 finish in the league along with a good domestic cup run. A QF/SF in the CL will be a bonus that will help the team continue its progression to an elite team.

Reactions: Invictus

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Not as tedious as watching his shite (and now ineffective) football.

Never mind , he'll be off soon enough and he can go on holiday with his bruised ego before re-grouping for PSG. Meanwhile , back in Manchester , we'll be picking up the pieces with a new manager trying to get the players to remember what it's actually like to play good fluid football.

(btw - how long do you think he will hang around? And are you able to counter any of my arguments or facts with any of your own? Or are you just shooting desperate one liners from the hip?)
I want results first, enjoyment second. You can always enjoy winning, even if the game itself is tedious. But as I said to another poster, the only two jobs he left that were his fault was the RM job, which you could argue about for days, and the second Chelsea stint. If he does not win the PL or CL in his original contract time, then yes he should be let go. But we are missing one of the most vital piecesof our attack, our only water carrier. So just relax and wait until PP comes back.

Hed Zitin

I'm not calling for his head at all, but I can understand there are going to be people that are not happy with his approach in the big games. It is horrible to watch.

I don't think we are the second best side in the league so it is good going to be there currently.

Vida5Nick

NFP
Selling De Gea for Raphael Varane is a sackable offence in my book, if the dm rumors in the DM are true. Sell our best asset and arguably the best keeper in the world to our direct CL rivals for someone that's not even the first choice CB pairing? Madness. We went through so much in between to find good keepers. Barthez etc still pains me.

I would rather keep De Gea and buy a CB. There's a lot of options out there without resorting to selling our keeper

DoubleRevv

Last couple of weeks have been tough, but some perspective needs to be maintained. Away matches to top 6 opposition are difficult to win: case in point, Chelsea's 2-0 defeat at OT last season, where we not only created a host of quality chances but also didn't give Chelsea a sniff at our goal.

Saying that, this team is still a work in progress and is lacking a world class winger, a creative playmaker that links our midfield to our attack and at least one upgrade in the full back position. It only takes a couple of marquee players in the right areas of the field to get the whole team linking and playing well. If you look at 2006-09 team, we had 2 world class attackers in Ronnie and Rooney, a playmaker par supreme in Scholes, one world class attacking full back in Evra, and a brilliant defence. This team was supported by good/great players in other positions such as Saha, Tevez, Giggsy, Ji, Nani etc.

Clearly, the current squad pales in comparison and needs to be built over the next couple of windows to reach a level where we can challenge consistently in the league and CL. Mourinho needs to be given time and support to complete his vision for the team, otherwise, we risk starting all over again. A realistic target for us for this season is a Top 3 finish in the league along with a good domestic cup run. A QF/SF in the CL will be a bonus that will help the team continue its progression to an elite team.
Away results have been poor and style of play is reminiscent of van Gaal. Mourinho is not going to work long term if he insists on playing this boring way. Ideally for me, Pochettino if we can get him otherwise Mancini. Reaching the end of my patience with Mourinho's lack of fight.

Dobbs

So how many have actually said he should be sacked? Has this thread got anybody to argue against?

For Mourinho this could be a turning point. How he handles himself over the next 6-12 months could really define his reputation. It could take a hit he can't come back from.

desmondisback

I want results first, enjoyment second. You can always enjoy winning, even if the game itself is tedious. But as I said to another poster, the only two jobs he left that were his fault was the RM job, which you could argue about for days, and the second Chelsea stint. If he does not win the PL or CL in his original contract time, then yes he should be let go. But we are missing one of the most vital piecesof our attack, our only water carrier. So just relax and wait until PP comes back.
When are you guys going to finally get this? I too want results . It's not a results versus entertainment deal. Good football wins matches ,plain and simple. I'm not talking fancy flicks and ronaldino shuffles , just decent good football that is effective. The entertainment comes from seeing your own team give itself a fighting chance by expressing itself , whether that is in defensive intensity or attacking flair. But shuffling around looking clueless leaving a big gaping hole for Morata and then trying to equalise by hoofing it up to Fellaini? It's pathetic , tedious and it doesn't work.

There is a definite case for winning "ugly" at times. I'm not suggesting we become like Arsenal. I'm not against that , it's part of football. But often playing good football (that happens to be entertaining) is very very effective. Teams have to be able to play good football and defend well to win games. For example , even "parking the bus" won't work unless you can counter attack from time to time with good , intense flowing football , why? - because it stops the other team from clambering all over you and pinning you in your own box. I'm not seeing any of this from United right now.

Can you and others like you please stop confusing "entertainment" with good , effective flowing football that bloody well wins matches. It's as if you think we don't care about results at all. I'll take a 0-0 draw at Anfield over a 3-4 defeat any day , just the same as you. Its just sometimes you have to risk more to win matches and play with courage not fear. A football team is full of football players who want to play football not anti football. You can see it in their faces.

LoneStar

I don't think Jose has been doing that bad. It feels that way only because City have had an amazing start to the season. We have had the best start to our season post Fergie, but it's just that Peps City has simply overshadowed us and everyone upto this point. Unless we finish outside the top 4, I would give him another season.

Jose has to change a bit though. His away form against the top 6 has been abysmal. In fact we have struggled in almost every away game (Stoke,Soton,Huddersfield). His approach to such games must change.

The biggest problem with his tactics in big games is that they completely collapse once the opposition scores a goal. We are pretty good at scoring a goal and then defending that lead. However we struggle to come back if we are a goal or two down.

Lentwood

We've had one "bad" result all season for Christ sake! No shame in losing 1-0 to Chelsea at the Bridge, no shame in drawing at Anfield.

Some of you need to give your heads a wobble and reassess your expectations. I would have taken a comfortable 3rd at the start of the season if offered because it represents progress.

The base of the team is there now - we haven't really been able to say that for 5/6yrs. Now all we need to do is add the flair and the creativity in the AM positions. Jose wisely chose to address these last because if you don't, well look at Klopp!

minoo-utd

Just buy the man what he wants and let him sell what he wants, give him an absolute trust and renew his contract, then he will make us champions, he is a proven champions every where he goes. Look at City they gave Pep an open cheque, Jose needs more investment in the team still.

Dobbs

We've had one "bad" result all season for Christ sake! No shame in losing 1-0 to Chelsea at the Bridge, no shame in drawing at Anfield.

Some of you need to give your heads a wobble and reassess your expectations. I would have taken a comfortable 3rd at the start of the season if offered because it represents progress.

The base of the team is there now - we haven't really been able to say that for 5/6yrs. Now all we need to do is add the flair and the creativity in the AM positions. Jose wisely chose to address these last because if you don't, well look at Klopp!
It's because we look past results and take notice of performance. If you do that and keep last season in mind it's possible to see a few problems ahead. The frustration comes from those problems being relatively easy to solve.

reddaz71

If we beat City next month then those same fickle,spoilt "fans" will be changing their tune completely about Mourinho,yes he does himself no favours,ie talking about other jobs, staying in a hotel, playing pragmatic at times,but the fact is we are in better shape now than at anytime since Ferguson left and that is down to Mourinho fairly and squarely,also with such a big name manager in charge you feel that he can entice virtually any player to the club such as Zlatan and Pogba, he his an elite level manager and he needs elite level backing if we are to get back to where the club needs to be,all our suspicions should be aimed at the Glazers and Woodward,Mourinho is the one with nothing to prove!!

Status
Not open for further replies.