There is absolutely no justification in calling for Mourinho's head

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerano.

He asked for 4 players, got 3. Clearly something is missing and it's not his fault. He knew we were weak in some positions, wanted to strenghten but Woody failed.
Mourinho is one of the best, we should be happy he is here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No we don't need to take this season on it's on merit, last season counts too. Also you noticed that we have the same opinion, we have to improve, there isn't much else to say.
We might agree we have to improve but we clearly disagree on the first sentence and I think that's an important point. Happy to agree to disagree though.

Revaulx

The football this season has been infinitely better than under LVG.
Has it? The performance against West Ham was really good: our attack was purposeful, fluid and a joy to watch. Subsequent games have been enjoyable only because of the decent scorelines (which I concede isn't altogether something to be sniffed at).

Missing our most creative player in Pogba was always going to effect us. Take out Hazard from Chelsea, Sanchez from Arsenal, De Bruyne from City and even Coutinho or Mane from Liverpool and then they would be massively effected.
Agree to an extent. His absence shouldn't be an excuse for the rest of the team to look like they've never seen each other before though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We might agree we have to improve but we clearly disagree on the first sentence and I think that's an important point. Happy to agree to disagree though.
You are clearly wrong, so I'm happy alright.:D

Foxbatt

I would say that tactically we were not set up defensively. It was the individual players playing poorly and not as a team. Look at the Jones yellow card. Why did it happen? Because Rashford decided that he will try to dribble past three Chelsea players instead of passing to a team mate just inside their half and lost possession. They turned us over.
We need our players to use their brains. When we go after a Chelsea player one player goes after him while the nearest one hangs back. When they chase our players two players come after our player. When Rashford cornered one of their defenders near the flag, their only option was to try and get a throw in off Rashford or concede a throw in or a back pass to their keeper. Lukaku was the closest player. What did he do? Just waited. He did not put any pressure on Cortouis to stop the back pass. These are the kinds of things that we do regularly. I am surprised that a Jose Mourinho team is so tactically naive and poor. Usually his teams are very good in these things.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
crazy to talk about sacking him but he really needs to make better choices in the transfer market: why did we chase Morata for so long and then opt for a less-proven Lukaku? what did he see in Miki that we don't? some of us here have been saying for ages that we need a pretty good clear out as well as buying top top quality

Vidic's Head

Older but no wiser. At all. Not even a tiny bit.
I remember calling for Fergie's head back in the 80s when we couldn't get a win for love nor money. Shows how wrong i was then, and how wrong some are being now. Maureen's only been here 18 months, inherited a poor squad and has had more than enough injuries this season.
If we're still crap in 2 years time then fair enough, he needs to go.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I remember calling for Fergie's head back in the 80s when we couldn't get a win for love nor money. Shows how wrong i was then, and how wrong some are being now. Maureen's only been here 18 months, inherited a poor squad and has had more than enough injuries this season.
and yet you're still calling Vidic's head. Some people never learn

I agree with your post

If the internet had been around then, perhaps all the chatter would have forced Fergie out, who knows. That was the first United side I watched regularly: getting the bus with my mates from school to Trafford Road and meeting other mates who lived in Ordsall. Great times, shit side with Beardsmore, Mike Phelan et al.

Witchking

He asked for 4 players, got 3. Clearly something is missing and it's not his fault. He knew we were weak in some positions, wanted to strenghten but Woody failed.
Mourinho is one of the best, we should be happy he is here.
This is wrong. You cannot justify the failings against the big teams this season because Jose could not get 1 player he wanted.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If the internet had been around then, perhaps all the chatter would have forced Fergie out, who knows. That was the first United side I watched regularly: getting the bus with my mates from school to Trafford Road and meeting other mates who lived in Ordsall. Great times, shit side with Beardsmore, Mike Phelan et al.
Well he survived this classic bit of internet criticism, so I reckon he'd have been fine.

Saad138

People are calling for his head is because whenever he plays good teams away from home he always adopts this cowardly tactic of defending the whole match and not putting together a decent attacking play which is very frustrating. Look at how city played at Stamford Bridge, taking the game to chelsea and beating them. United should be playing like that if they are genuine title contenders. Why is Mourinho so afraid ?

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
People are calling for his head is because whenever he plays good teams away from home he always adopts this cowardly tactic of defending the whole match and not putting together a decent attacking play which is very frustrating. Look at how city played at Stamford Bridge, taking the game to chelsea and beating them. United should be playing like that if they are genuine title contenders. Why is Mourinho so afraid ?
No idea. It's just a shit way of approaching games. Any of us that were sceptacle about him coming saw it so it's no surprise. Was over the moon early on in the season but his attitude towards big games remains, and it derailed everything that was great about the start of the season. We'll end up lucky to get top 4.
Not calling for his head but to think he, reportedly, wants a massive pay check to sign a new contract, nah thanks.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Genuinely nobody. Counting numbers it’s a fraction of a percent.

Most are simply stating it’s shite football and things would need to improve for him to deserve any extension.
That's a fair enough opinion but it I don't think it's that shite outside of away matches against the top six. I'll judge him on where he finishes, but Pogba, Fellaini, Zlatan, Rojo etc to come back will make a big difference. We're thin up top and in midfield but we'll soon have a lot of depth again.

markorm

I would say that tactically we were not set up defensively. It was the individual players playing poorly and not as a team. Look at the Jones yellow card. Why did it happen? Because Rashford decided that he will try to dribble past three Chelsea players instead of passing to a team mate just inside their half and lost possession. They turned us over.
We need our players to use their brains. When we go after a Chelsea player one player goes after him while the nearest one hangs back. When they chase our players two players come after our player. When Rashford cornered one of their defenders near the flag, their only option was to try and get a throw in off Rashford or concede a throw in or a back pass to their keeper. Lukaku was the closest player. What did he do? Just waited. He did not put any pressure on Cortouis to stop the back pass. These are the kinds of things that we do regularly. I am surprised that a Jose Mourinho team is so tactically naive and poor. Usually his teams are very good in these things.
Spot on.

red_devil83

crazy to talk about sacking him but he really needs to make better choices in the transfer market: why did we chase Morata for so long and then opt for a less-proven Lukaku? what did he see in Miki that we don't? some of us here have been saying for ages that we need a pretty good clear out as well as buying top top quality
We opted for the FAR MORE proven Lukaku. Let's not rewrite history here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are 2nd in the league, top of CL group qualification, won 2 trophies last season, sure no one would call for his sack. Upon recent performances and result, most fans are just upset, and rightly so. Mourinho has to take most of the blame to be fair.

Marcky411

I fully agree it is far to soon to start calling for his head and some blaming Woodward for the transfers is just as ridiculous. They were his choices, didn't have a second or third option player on his list. Chased Perisic the whole summer and edded up with no one.
Lindelof? I would say we have enough that can play defence (Rojo, Blind, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, TFM, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Valencia, Young, Darmian and in case of emergency Carrick. Thus this past transfer window we got 2 players, Matic and Lukaku. Lukaku was bought to replace Zlatan so I think he can take some blame for that.
The problem isn't people calling for his head now but looking to the future. If we carry on struggling like we have and end up in 4th or 5th by January the pressure will really be on him and then the question is how will he handle it. Because come the end of the season and we are not in the top 4 he will be gone like all the other managers (Moyes, LvG).

Home&Away

Whatever formation we use we need to practice to be good at it. I really don't like this big adapting tactic depending on who we play - it gives them a huge advantage of knowing what they are doing whilst we look like lost kids in a park trying to remember the tactics that were written on the whiteboard.

markorm

Reminds me of our setup when we had Beckham who was able to put the ball on the end of Van Nistleroys boot who never missed. A proper goal machine who, when Becks buggered off, so did his service and his goals dried up.

Rom is a tool that employed correctly is devastating. He needs the service from midfield to operate effectively. He's now coming deep more, helping out Markus and Martial and is not the player he was only a few weeks ago.

Improve service and he'll be back.

frank lee madeer..

Correct, there isn't, on the flipside ,so far, we have witnessed little evidence to justify him being capable of doing what he was brought in to do. Win the league. The Europa league was a welcome trophy, but basically it was a means to an end to justify Jose not getting the sack , like everybody else who missed out on cl football. In the cold light of day, we were poor in the league and beat nobody of any merit on the Europa trail.

He needs to improve, a lot.

El-Manos

We were far too inactive this summer and it is starting to show. The fact we do not even have a proper left back available for a club of this magnitude is an absolute disgrace.

Zuggie

I'd hate to be a manager when theres fans like you.. In todays market you will not get anyone better than Mourinho, plain and simple. Give the guy a few seasons to get the right players, and we will be back on top. The melt down some of you have after losing a game is astonishing. The solution you all want is to employ another manager that will undoubtedly create more chaos and confusion of a system that's already being worked on.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why do threads like this even exist.

Anyone who is calling for a sacking needs to log out of here permanently.

El Zoido

We were far too inactive this summer and it is starting to show. The fact we do not even have a proper left back available for a club of this magnitude is an absolute disgrace.
We needed both sides covering, Valencia isn’t good enough either. Good players were on the market and we sat and watched City sweep them up.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
proven? compared to a real madrid and Spain star? what planet are you on? lukaku has so often disappeared in games (except maybe against united!). Not for one single secodn was IO confident he would score yeserday while Morata looked dangerous every time he got the ball. want to guess how many touches lukaku had in their area? None. big fat zero

Zuggie

You mean a bench warmer RM star correct? Lukaku had the numbers we needed, and that's why we bought him. Simple as that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
proven? compared to a real madrid and Spain star? what planet are you on? lukaku has so often disappeared in games (except maybe against united!). Not for one single secodn was IO confident he would score yeserday while Morata looked dangerous every time he got the ball. want to guess how many touches lukaku had in their area? None. big fat zero
You actually think Lukaku was the less proven option for a Premier League football club? The same guy who has scored 20+ goals in each of the last 3 PL seasons? Christ on a bicycle...

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You mean a bench warmer RM star correct? Lukaku had the numbers we needed, and that's why we bought him. Simple as that.
I actually think that Lukaku is a better fit for United, and that Morata is a better fit for Chelsea.
Both players are at the right club in my opinion.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Has it? The performance against West Ham was really good: our attack was purposeful, fluid and a joy to watch. Subsequent games have been enjoyable only because of the decent scorelines (which I concede isn't altogether something to be sniffed at).
Yes by far better. Under LVG was the only time I felt like not watching us play (I never stopped watching). I have actually enjoyed nearly all of the games this season.

red_devil83

Morata was adequate at best at Juve. He was a bench warmer at Madrid. Yes, he had class and potential but he'd never played in the PL nor had he ever been a week-in week-out player anywhere.

Lukaku had scored 20+ goals, 3 years in a row, playing 40 games a season. If that doesn't define a proven goalscorer for you...

Morata looks like he's fulfilling his potential but it wasn't a guaranteed thing like Rom was.

PK007

I dont think getting rid of Mourinho is the answer. Realistically its probably going to take 3-4 transfer windows to turn United around and offload the vanilla players and bring in more fresh/world class talent.

But one thing is for sure, we do need to offload the dross. It doesnt matter what formation or system you play, if youre still using the same group of players then they arent going to start playing Messi like football overnight. Were about as good as done when it comes to getting the most out of Jones, Smalling, Valencia, Lingard, Young etc and thats not the managers fault. It will be his fault if he doesnt see it and doesnt replace them though.

Its like the guy who takes his Ford Fiesta into a garage and asks if he can stick a Ferarri badge on it. The mechanic says he can, but you do know its still going to be a Ford Fiesta underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.