Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

Bwuk

Without a dominant CB behind him I’m not sure they’ll get away with playing him as a sole 6.

NinjaFletch

He'll be a good signing for them I'm sure, but poor free kick which led to their goal and incredibly fortunate not to be sent off afterwards.

simplyared

Could be their Pogba. Takes away a bit of their drive for soneone who can pick a better pass but leaves their midfield deficient in what made them great.
Nah Pogba has more drive than him. Someone who just strolls about living on past merits just doesn't sit right for me in a Liverpool shirt.

90 + 5min

Very good player but he should have been sent off. Gave away many freekicks, specially in first half.

Zen86

It‘s his first game back after a significant injury, he was good enough for Barca and Bayern, he was the dominant player in a CL final: sure, he is not up to the elite level of the PL. :lol:
That doesn’t really have any bearing at all in whether he can cut it in the PL now though does it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He just plays at a different rhythm to how Liverpool have played at their best under Klopp, so neither the team nor the player are clocking. But that’s probably a good thing because they need to transition to a different way of playing because maintaining their peak for the last two seasons was impossible without some new blood.

Rossa

Does he lack mobility to play in Klopp’s system? He’s brilliant when teams afford him space, but he looks slow and cumbersome when pressured and especially when teams are on the break. Could easily have been sent off today.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
People criticizing him after his second start for us. :lol:

Renegade

Argued with people all summer who said we should sign him as 6/Matic replacement. His a world class ball rentainer/recycling. He won’t be creating chances at a high rate like KDB/Bruno neither can he replace Fabinho/Henderson from a defensive aspect.

Rossa

This kind of knee-jerking is why mangers are constantly under pressure as soon as they get in the door.
True, but one may argue if he is a great fit for the team. Unlike Henderson and Wijnaldum, he’s not a great runner, and he doesn’t shield the defense like Fabinho.

BarstoolProphet

I'm still bitter about us not signing him years ago and him ending up at Liverpool just dumped a truckload of salt in the wound. He's a wonderful footballer to watch, but hopefully he plays like today for most of his Liverpool career.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very good option for them. I imagine won't be starting every game though. Even without him Liverpool can still have 60% possession against anyone.

Bojan11

Why? because Liverpool are known more for their speed, drive and movement.
Utd fan!
So why do you care if he strolls around and it doesn’t sit right with you in a Liverpool shirt? I hope it’s more of the same.

Zoo

Seeing a lot of Liverpool fans complaining about the officiating but this guy was very lucky not to get a second yellow for persistent and lazy fouling.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Honestly would've moved him much closer to Soton's goal and have Wijnaldum as the deeper player.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
It seems contradictory but even though he’s a world class player, I never thought he’d be a good signing for Liverpool. Their whole success has been built on having workhorses in midfield who aren’t the most talented but work in the system Klopp uses. Their creative players have always been the full backs and the front three so Thiago never really made much sense. Put him in the City side and he’d probably be the best midfielder in the league.

NoPace

It seems contradictory but even though he’s a world class player, I never thought he’d be a good signing for Liverpool. Their whole success has been built on having workhorses in midfield who aren’t the most talented but work in the system Klopp uses. Their creative players have always been the full backs and the front three so Thiago never really made much sense. Put him in the City side and he’d probably be the best midfielder in the league.
It's possible he'll be an awkward fit and I agree with your City point, but I remember thinking they went out to Atletico in the CL because they lacked a playmaker in the middle, and if Robertson or TAA is out they may need that from the middle, since it's tough to get backup fullbacks capable of providing playmaking from out wide while somehow being defensively good enough not to get in trouble.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's possible he'll be an awkward fit and I agree with your City point, but I remember thinking they went out to Atletico in the CL because they lacked a playmaker in the middle, and if Robertson or TAA is out they may need that from the middle, since it's tough to get backup fullbacks capable of providing playmaking from out wide while somehow being defensively good enough not to get in trouble.
I think Klopp wanted him to play with Fabinho in midfield. That’s obviously not possible currently and Thiago has been injured for most of his Liverpool career so it’s messed things up a bit.

I think Klopp’s ideal midfield would be Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson.

NoPace

I think Klopp wanted him to play with Fabinho in midfield. That’s obviously not possible currently and Thiago has been injured for most of his Liverpool career so it’s messed things up a bit.

I think Klopp’s ideal midfield would be Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson.
Very little goalscoring (always the case though under Klopp apart from uh that one Ox Chamberlain run) and less of a direct assist threat than with Milner or dribbling threat via Wijnaldum, but it's a strong platform for the fullbacks. I dunno, I think it looks better in Europe than the league maybe, so this actually does make me think Thiago will be a Veron or Pogba type awkward fit even though I rate him and think Liverpool need more clever play on the ball in midfield so was in favor of it. We'll see, but if Wijnaldum leaves this summer they should probably cut bait on one of Ox or Keita and replace one with a proper athlete with some goals in him like a prime Nainggolan type. They probably should have signed Van De Beek this past summer and we should have signed a CB, RW or RB with the 40M instead and waited for Pogba to leave before buying his replacement.