Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

mav_9me

He was great at Bayern. Many of us, including me, thought he'd walk Liverpool to the league, but he's been underwhelming and a bad fit. Their own fans are questioning his impact.

What's difficult to understand?
Exactly. I thought he would be the key to Liverpool making the next step up in creativity from the middle. On the contrary he has made them weaker defensively and been poor creatively and in fact they are missing Hendersons creativity and passing in the middle. Now that I would never have expected.

It's still too early to write off someone like Thiago, as is the case with most new signings in their first season. Due to their injuries and shoe-horned CB partnership we've yet to see their full strength team. That said, it's probably not been the dream start they wanted and I do agree with some others that every little thing he did was magnified, even the most basic passes. Pogba outperformed him in both our games against them and didn't get a fraction of the praise.

On paper Henderson - Fabinho - Thiago sounds like a great midfield, with a bit of luck we'll never have to see it.

His signing was worth it for this Tweet alone:

it is too early. And he should be given some time.

the reason this thread has so much interaction, is the fawning over him - when he’s actually been shit.

people coming in and saying he’s a great midfielder. He’s not, he’s a good player, but massively overrated.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah it’s too early but I don’t expect him to become a top, top midfielder in England.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
When Liverpool get healthy Thiago will shine. He needs to release the ball a little quicker but he’ll do just fine in the EPL

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When Liverpool get healthy Thiago will shine. He needs to release the ball a little quicker but he’ll do just fine in the EPL
Yeah, I'm not going to laugh at Liverpool and says he's a failure until they get Fabinho and Henderson back into the midfield. If they do that and he's still struggling then that will be great, but it's too early at the moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, I'm not going to laugh at Liverpool and says he's a failure until they get Fabinho and Henderson back into the midfield. If they do that and he's still struggling then that will be great, but it's too early at the moment.
It may be some whatearly, but more than half a season has passed and there's never a wrong time to laugh at Liverpool.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I have not followed him on a regular basis, but from the games I have seen him he seems a bit of a pointless player.
He often looks great and elegant on the ball, but tends to fade away when games get tight. His energy level and end product seem to be lacking and I cannot really say what his best position is.
In some ways he is the complete opposite to Bruno (or players like Müller) who can look clumsy and sloppy, but is so effective and makes things happen each game.

Of course Thiago is not a bad footballer, but I am not really worried that he plays for Liverpool. This can of course change very fast now that I have written this :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Be careful he doesn't get engaged by your post. They're a bunch of crazy cats those Bundesliga fans.
No worries, I was expecting that too happen actually. Thiago in the EPL is a bit like cooking beef tenderloins in a microwave. 90% of fans in here still don't recognize a great midfield performance unless the player scores a long range screamer, plays a few long range passes and excels at slide tackles. Good old kick'n'rush days :)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No worries, I was expecting that too happen actually. Thiago in the EPL is a bit like cooking beef tenderloins in a microwave. 90% of fans in here still don't recognize a great midfield performance unless the player scores a long range screamer, plays a few long range passes and excels at slide tackles. Good old kick'n'rush days :)
Klopp Liverpool team are kick and rush. Thats why he is no real use to them.They dont use midfield to win games. It's mainly long balls,crosses and set-pieces.

Eg 2019 V Bayern.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Klopp Liverpool team are kick and rush. Thats why he is no real use to them.They dont use midfield to win games. It's mainly long balls,crosses and set-pieces.

Eg 2019 V Bayern.

True to some extent. That's probably why they brought him in. He did the same during his time at Dortmund.

Robbie Boy

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He's registered 467 contemplation tackles and 128 interpretceptions since arriving at Liverpool. Criminally underrated.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Everything will be fine once Fabinho moves into midfield to do his defensive duties and Henderson to do his pressing. Plus Firmino can drop into midfield to help him on the creative front.

Judas

Open to offers
Thiago will still be slower and take more touches than Klopp has wanted from his midfield when they've been at their best, even when they have everyone fit, that won't change. He's a plan B of sorts, because he doesn't fit with the style that has got them all their success.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Thiago will still be slower and take more touches than Klopp has wanted from his midfield when they've been at their best, even when they have everyone fit, that won't change. He's a plan B of sorts, because he doesn't fit with the style that has got them all their success.
Gotta freshen things up once in a while, especially when more and more teams figure out how to beat your previous style of play. If Redcafe sees that he doesn't entirely fit our scheme, I'm sure Klopp and his staff do as well. If we get a few other players in next offseason that compliment this "other" style of play, we could simply shift to another style that fits him better.

tomaldinho1

He is suffering in the same way Donny is here, being played out of position. Thiago is like a prime Razor Ruddock, he needs to be in a combative position where he can really have an effect on play - sitting deep in the hole is more for a cultured ball player like Shelvey and, whilst Thiago might get to that level, he's not there yet.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Isn't the Bundesliga the league with the reputation for ultra pressing football?

Josh 76

The hype surrounding this guy is unreal. Where the feck has he been for the last few seasons. Not heard anything about him until Bayen decided to get rid and hype him up as the best holding midfielder the world has ever seen.

Now I know why Pep (who knows him better than anyone) stayed the feck away.

alexthelion

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brainless post